All member reviews for Enchanted

Adorable fairy tale is a fabulous family flick.

Parent of a 4 and 6 year old Written bydnpseattle February 19, 2011

Topics of Divorce and Committment poorly handled

Well, it was entertaining enough for the adults, but I think there are some topics and scenes which are too much for young kids. Here's what the reviews don't prepare you for: 1) the topic of divorce and, 2) why it's "ok" to leave someone you're with for someone else. On #1: For some young kids, divorce is a tragedy they are not ready to be introduced to (if they are fortunate enough to not have experienced it firsthand). In the story, the mom "just left" her husband and daughter. That can instill a lot of fear and worry into young kids. "Why did her mom just go?" or "Didn't she love them anymore?" "Will my mom/dad ever just go?" Also, why someone's job might be to help mom's and dad's split up (as opposed to help reconcile) is all tough. On #2, Giselle, who has found true love and is to marry her prince, drops him for Robert (in a rather sensually charged scene where she runs her fingers over his chest and plays with his chest hair). That one is easier to explain (i.e. she didn't really know the prince). Hard to explain, is Robert's actions. After 5 years, he ditches his girlfriend for Giselle. "How can he like her when he already has a girlfirend?" It makes "true love" seem like a very fickle thing; driven by feelings and emotions. Granted, you can't do these topics justice in 107 minutes, but that doesn't mean you can dismiss them and conveniently sweep them under the carpet either. Oh, one more thing: the scene at the end with the dragon is indeed REALLY scary for the little ones. For my 6 year-old, it soured the whole movie. As soon as the movie was over, she got up and turned the TV off (before the credits rolled).
Adult Written bycathyt April 9, 2008

This is not for young children

I admit CS reviewed this for ages 6+ but I took my five year old and she asked to go home as soon as the action changed from animation to live action. It was way too intense and scary. Also, in the first 15-20 minutes (all I saw before leaving), Giselle's crown was stolen by a homeless man and there was a very growup scene of two adults shouting at each other in a divorce hearing -- all of it too overwhelming for my daughter. It is probably a great movie for older kids (the beginning was really fun to watch, with lots of inside jokes and Disney sendups) but I think even 6 is too young for some of the more mature topics...but then I can't comment on anything more than the beginning!
Kid, 11 years old May 21, 2011

Too much kissing Yuck!!!!!!!!!

I don't even want to talk about this dumb movie.
Adult Written bySarah Grace August 12, 2010

Unclear ending

It was okay, pretty funny at some parts. The only issue was at the end it wasn't clear if Gisele and Robert were married or just living together. Not a very good message, especially for teenagers....
Teen, 14 years old Written byTWIHARD12 April 15, 2011

Great for all ages!!!!!

AMAZING. As you can see, I'm a teen and still love this movie. Some dating jokes that will go over kids heads but that parents will laugh at. Firebreathing dragon at the end, but it is a Disney fairytale, so you can kind of expect that. Overall a wonderfull family film!
Adult Written byDexterSmith April 9, 2008

Cute family flick is a tad sexually aware, but fine for kids 6+

Sexual Content (Pause): True love's kiss plays a key role in the plot. Giselle is seen getting out of the shower (no nudity shown) and ends up falling on Robert in an inadvertently sexual position. She also shows varying amounts of cleavage throughout the movie, as do other female characters. Some mild sexually-oriented jokes and innuendo. Violence (Pause): Giselle is poisoned. Swords are wielded about frequently. The opening sequence with a large troll and the ending sequence with the queen turning into a huge dragon may frighten younger children. Some slapstick. Language (Not an Issue): None. Social Behavior (On): True love and dreams coming true are major themes of the film. Giselle is optimistic and overtly kind, and while she is initially looked down upon at first for her "strange" behavior, the people of NYC come to appreciate her. Commercialism (Pause): Seeing as this story takes place in the Big Apple, expect lots of product placement. Drug/Alcohol/Tobacco (Pause): Giselle is served an apple martini (she almost drinks it, but Pip stops her from doing so).
Teen, 17 years old Written byDominicboo1 June 9, 2013

Enchanted...Not An Exaggeration!

This is a great Disney movie, and goes back to the charms of the fairytales of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs and Cinderella, and their classic musicals(particuarly Pete's Dragon). The story is about a princess named Giselle who is about to marry a prince named Edward. His evil stepmother Queen Narissa doesn't want to give up the crown, and sends her to New York. There she meets a lawyer named Robert who doesn't approve of Fairy Tales and his daughter Morgan. Edward attempts to find her with hilarious resutls, and the queen sends a bumbling henchman Nathaniel to attempt to stop him and poison her.While it's charming Robert reveals that Morgan's mother abandoned them one night which caused him to stop believing in miracles.(spoiler alert Giselle does get poisoned, but somebody does save her....I won't say whom.)(A couple of mild gay jokes..Nathaniel mentions he's looking for a prince, a biker smiles and tries to invite Edward into his apartment...he politely refuses not understanding. But I believe if kids are old enough for men/woman there's no real difference) Giselle falls on Robert in front of his girlfriend(in a towel). However what this movie has is very nice. The songs are cute particuarly the one Giselle sings while cleaning up the apartment, the characters are likeable, the humor with the Prince and Nathaniel really works, and the plot twist with the relationship is very satisfying. See it especially if you have princess fans!
Adult Written byridergirl1993 April 9, 2008

The title says it all

I would take ANYBODY to go see this movie. It was as sweet and wholesome as you can get. Great for the whole family!
Parent of a 12 year old Written byTsion April 9, 2008

Cute and Charming Family Flick with Mild Content

ENCHANTED is the story of what happens when animated fairy tale and real-life NYC meet. One would expect it to be ugly, but Disney handles it with such wit and charm that makes it irresistable. The funniest and most amusing part of the film is Princess Giselle, played to hilarious brilliance by Amy Adams. When Giselle pops out into our world, she is shocked by modern faucets, electrical lights, and divorces. She handles the latter with charm and ends up bringing a troubled couple back together with her Princess views of love. Adams is made for this role, playing Giselle like a giddy, naive child, scared of the change but embracing and anticipating of the possibilities. There is some mild innuendo and suggestive humor. Robert, the hero, walks into the bathroom just as Giselle is stepping out of the shower (he, and the audience, see nothing, as birds enter with a towel for a timely covering). Also, during one part, a young child tells Giselle (no doubt mimicking what she's heard on the street or elsewhere) that when boys see girls with a lot of make-up on their minds are centered on one thing only. When Giselle asks what, the girl replies "I don't know. No one ever tells me". Positive behavior pervades the film discouraging things like giving up and divorcing, and encouraging repentance, commitment, and true love. Highly reccomended!
Teen, 14 years old Written bychocolateluvr13 July 2, 2011

Good movie

This movie is the best movie I have ever seen!
Teen, 14 years old Written byTheScribbler April 11, 2011

Great musical for 11 and up

Although I really enjoyed it, (I love musicals, and this was no exception), this film sends some confusing messages about divorce and 'happily ever after'. If I had young children, I know I'd give them a little talk about that afterwards. There's also some scary scenes and weird tension between Giselle and Robert. Over all, I think Giselle is a great role model. She's sweet, kind, and generous.
Parent of a 3 and 6 year old Written byarudek805 September 26, 2009

Adult Written bydkiss April 9, 2008

Loved it!!!

One of the few movies that my six-year-old son and I agreed to see twice. Loved the music and the allusions to past Disney classics. Amy Adams does a great job as a true to life Disney character. Would probably see it a couple more time, but will wait for it to come out on DVD.
Adult Written bymychza April 9, 2008

New Favorite Fairy Tale!

My kids are very young (under 5) and they both loved it. They did not understand any of the more adult things or the alcohol reference although some older kids might. The fighting with the dragon was a little scary for them, but we held their hands and watched it together and they were excited when the "mean lady" was gone. Someone else made a comment about the divorce people fighting being inappropriate, but later they make up which shows kids to work out their problems rather than give up. Also, in response to the comment that Giselle is inappropriate because the story promotes the "love the one you're with" idea, that is not the point at all. Giselle just met Edward and was set to marry him after a day when they had never spoken or spent any time together. The movie spoke more about not rushing into things and taking time to get to know the person before you marry them and about following your dreams.
Adult Written bySS1234 March 13, 2015

Enchanted

Well, being that I am from Australia, the rating for the film is a bit different. Over here it is rated G and I am confused as to why it is rated PG in America? The movie has no swears or insults and no sex scenes. There are some implied sexual references but these are very discrete. The themes are light hearted and quite happy. Each child will see the film in a different view because of circumstance and age. But all ages should be able to watch a film like this.
Teen, 13 years old Written byCat.Valentine October 5, 2014

it's a horrible movie

i'm 13 years old ,and i think it's a horrible movie,i felt award watching it with my dad ,i don't know how they can say 6 y and up,at the end of the movie they close up at a kiss which is disgusting :b ,and when she totches roberts chest (it's weird) .
Kid, 11 years old April 12, 2014

good movie

i think its great
Kid, 9 years old February 13, 2014

THERE IS LAUGUAGE PEOPLE D:

well in the movie there are two scenes that has bleeped bad words but it didn't say the bleep but the words were bad like the bus one he said get off the f bus so yea
Parent of a 12 year old Written bycrankylibrarian January 3, 2014

Brilliant, hilarious spoof

This terrific parody of Disney Princess movies is perfect for kids aging out of the genre. James Marsden and Amy Adams are a hoot as a stereotypical fairytale prince and princess trying to cope with modern day Manhattan...while singing! One of the funniest, cleverest movies ever with several wonderful characters, and many sly in-jokes. I rate this as slightly older than CSM does, because I think kids will enjoy it much more if they're old enough to have seen (and wearied of) the standard Disney princess romances, and can catch the references. Two minor complaints: I like that Giselle's "rival" Nancy is not portrayed as a villain (and gets her own happy ending), but the mockery of Robert's attempt to provide strong female role models for his daughter really grated, ("A BOOK?" his daughter says in disbelief). And while the girl bonding scene between Giselle and Morgan was sweet, did it have to involve shopping at luxury stores with Daddy's gold card?
Parent of a 5, 7, and 9 year old Written bylydiafaith January 2, 2014

Boring and NOT appropriate for children!!!

Sadly I let me kids watch this without reading the actual user reviews. This movie has way too much sexuality in it for children!! I am frustrated with Common Sense movie review as there was NO Warning for all the sexy stuff in their "What Parents need to know" section! (I regrettably did not read user reviews.) Giselle is naked (no nudity shown) but the IDEA of sexuality is all there, especially when she then falls on him. She touches his bare chest in a sexual way and her dresses are waaaaay to low - know wonder why little girls always want to show skin this kind of crap is constantly thrown at them!! What are we doing to our children??? For anyone who thinks this movie is appropriate for children of ANY age has sadly been affected by our current culture's numbness to sexuality. Besides all that - this movie is BORING!!