All member reviews for Enchanted

Adorable fairy tale is a fabulous family flick.

Parent of a 4 and 6 year old Written bydnpseattle February 19, 2011

Topics of Divorce and Committment poorly handled

Well, it was entertaining enough for the adults, but I think there are some topics and scenes which are too much for young kids. Here's what the reviews don't prepare you for: 1) the topic of divorce and, 2) why it's "ok" to leave someone you're with for someone else. On #1: For some young kids, divorce is a tragedy they are not ready to be introduced to (if they are fortunate enough to not have experienced it firsthand). In the story, the mom "just left" her husband and daughter. That can instill a lot of fear and worry into young kids. "Why did her mom just go?" or "Didn't she love them anymore?" "Will my mom/dad ever just go?" Also, why someone's job might be to help mom's and dad's split up (as opposed to help reconcile) is all tough. On #2, Giselle, who has found true love and is to marry her prince, drops him for Robert (in a rather sensually charged scene where she runs her fingers over his chest and plays with his chest hair). That one is easier to explain (i.e. she didn't really know the prince). Hard to explain, is Robert's actions. After 5 years, he ditches his girlfriend for Giselle. "How can he like her when he already has a girlfirend?" It makes "true love" seem like a very fickle thing; driven by feelings and emotions. Granted, you can't do these topics justice in 107 minutes, but that doesn't mean you can dismiss them and conveniently sweep them under the carpet either. Oh, one more thing: the scene at the end with the dragon is indeed REALLY scary for the little ones. For my 6 year-old, it soured the whole movie. As soon as the movie was over, she got up and turned the TV off (before the credits rolled).
Adult Written bycathyt April 9, 2008

This is not for young children

I admit CS reviewed this for ages 6+ but I took my five year old and she asked to go home as soon as the action changed from animation to live action. It was way too intense and scary. Also, in the first 15-20 minutes (all I saw before leaving), Giselle's crown was stolen by a homeless man and there was a very growup scene of two adults shouting at each other in a divorce hearing -- all of it too overwhelming for my daughter. It is probably a great movie for older kids (the beginning was really fun to watch, with lots of inside jokes and Disney sendups) but I think even 6 is too young for some of the more mature topics...but then I can't comment on anything more than the beginning!
Kid, 11 years old May 21, 2011

Too much kissing Yuck!!!!!!!!!

I don't even want to talk about this dumb movie.
Teen, 14 years old Written byMarioMii December 30, 2010

OK for kids' ages 5+

School Age Child Care at my elementary school watched this movie. However, there are some iffy scenes like Giselle falls down and transports from cartoon to real life under a sewer, then goes to New York City, crazy animals in her apartment trying to clean her apartment up looking pretty strange, and she is wrapped around a towel getting out of a shower when she told someone to come in.
Adult Written byDexterSmith April 9, 2008

Cute family flick is a tad sexually aware, but fine for kids 6+

Sexual Content (Pause): True love's kiss plays a key role in the plot. Giselle is seen getting out of the shower (no nudity shown) and ends up falling on Robert in an inadvertently sexual position. She also shows varying amounts of cleavage throughout the movie, as do other female characters. Some mild sexually-oriented jokes and innuendo. Violence (Pause): Giselle is poisoned. Swords are wielded about frequently. The opening sequence with a large troll and the ending sequence with the queen turning into a huge dragon may frighten younger children. Some slapstick. Language (Not an Issue): None. Social Behavior (On): True love and dreams coming true are major themes of the film. Giselle is optimistic and overtly kind, and while she is initially looked down upon at first for her "strange" behavior, the people of NYC come to appreciate her. Commercialism (Pause): Seeing as this story takes place in the Big Apple, expect lots of product placement. Drug/Alcohol/Tobacco (Pause): Giselle is served an apple martini (she almost drinks it, but Pip stops her from doing so).
Parent of a 4 and 8 year old Written bymnmwagoner April 9, 2008

Delightful and in good taste

My wife and I took our two girls, three and eight. All of us enjoyed it. It's a typical storybook romance with updated humor and issues that don't leave you wishing the kids "didn't hear that one." The actors are very suited for their characters and do a wonderful job of bringing a princess' story into todays reality of broken homes, separation, and divorce. At times I even wondered, "yeah why do people decide to leave each other instead of working it out?" I would watch it again.
Parent of a 12 year old Written byTsion April 9, 2008

Cute and Charming Family Flick with Mild Content

ENCHANTED is the story of what happens when animated fairy tale and real-life NYC meet. One would expect it to be ugly, but Disney handles it with such wit and charm that makes it irresistable. The funniest and most amusing part of the film is Princess Giselle, played to hilarious brilliance by Amy Adams. When Giselle pops out into our world, she is shocked by modern faucets, electrical lights, and divorces. She handles the latter with charm and ends up bringing a troubled couple back together with her Princess views of love. Adams is made for this role, playing Giselle like a giddy, naive child, scared of the change but embracing and anticipating of the possibilities. There is some mild innuendo and suggestive humor. Robert, the hero, walks into the bathroom just as Giselle is stepping out of the shower (he, and the audience, see nothing, as birds enter with a towel for a timely covering). Also, during one part, a young child tells Giselle (no doubt mimicking what she's heard on the street or elsewhere) that when boys see girls with a lot of make-up on their minds are centered on one thing only. When Giselle asks what, the girl replies "I don't know. No one ever tells me". Positive behavior pervades the film discouraging things like giving up and divorcing, and encouraging repentance, commitment, and true love. Highly reccomended!
Kid, 9 years old April 9, 2008

A twist on all princesse movies!

I saw this movie with my mom. It was awseome!! I want to see it again with my friends. Age rate:6+
Parent of a 3 and 5 year old Written byCountryMom27 June 26, 2009

Ideal for tweens and older girls, great mom movie

Sweet, adorable movie best suited for older girls (8/9+) and parents. Typical Disney fairy-tale sort of thing, with lots of adult themes. Dempsey is the dashing handsome reluctant hero, and Adams is sugary sweet princess in need.
Teen, 14 years old Written byTWIHARD12 April 15, 2011

Great for all ages!!!!!

AMAZING. As you can see, I'm a teen and still love this movie. Some dating jokes that will go over kids heads but that parents will laugh at. Firebreathing dragon at the end, but it is a Disney fairytale, so you can kind of expect that. Overall a wonderfull family film!
Teen, 14 years old Written bychocolateluvr13 July 2, 2011

Good movie

This movie is the best movie I have ever seen!
Kid, 11 years old May 26, 2011

Great movie!

I love it!
Adult Written bygk April 9, 2008

Delightful for both young and old

My 5 yr old loved the movie. More importantly I loved the movie and so did my husband. You will fall inlove with Giselle. She is the perfect fairytale princess brought into this crazy jaded world we now live in. I enjoyed her very much and hated to leave her behind.
Adult Written bySarah Grace August 12, 2010

Unclear ending

It was okay, pretty funny at some parts. The only issue was at the end it wasn't clear if Gisele and Robert were married or just living together. Not a very good message, especially for teenagers....
Adult Written bydawnintahoe April 9, 2008

Very enchanting

I am a strick Christian parent with a high regard for what my children put in their brains. The story was well written. A concerns for my 5 year old was that she was quite frightened by the step mother (villian). So know your child and if they are frightened of scary characters you might want to rethink this movie. Also, after the movie went from cartoon to the real world, it becomes perilous and sad for the princess as she is lost and alone, my daughter told me she didn't like this movie and wanted to leave. We hung in there and she ended up enjoying it, especially the prince and the chipmonk who were two delightful and hilarious characters. My 9 year old loved it. The only questionable part was when the princess begins becoming attracted to the earthly man, and while he is in his bathrobe, she strokes his chest hair. You can tell she is hot for him. Also, he walks in on the princess in the bathroom while she is in the shower and although we can't see any nudity it is made known that he has seen her naked and his reaction is questionable. AFter all of this, he sits on his bed and apparently needs to cool down. Those were instances when I have to wonder "Whey did they have to put THAT in the movie?" All in all, a wonderful movie, well done and a treat for the whole family.
Adult Written bymychza April 9, 2008

New Favorite Fairy Tale!

My kids are very young (under 5) and they both loved it. They did not understand any of the more adult things or the alcohol reference although some older kids might. The fighting with the dragon was a little scary for them, but we held their hands and watched it together and they were excited when the "mean lady" was gone. Someone else made a comment about the divorce people fighting being inappropriate, but later they make up which shows kids to work out their problems rather than give up. Also, in response to the comment that Giselle is inappropriate because the story promotes the "love the one you're with" idea, that is not the point at all. Giselle just met Edward and was set to marry him after a day when they had never spoken or spent any time together. The movie spoke more about not rushing into things and taking time to get to know the person before you marry them and about following your dreams.
Kid, 10 years old June 27, 2011

This Century's Snow White

Enchanted is just another one of those family movies, the type of thing that's been done to death. It's like this century's version of the 1938 film.
Adult Written byfletchy April 9, 2008

Expected corny but wonderful just the same!

It has all the Disney elements: romance, song, hokey-animal heroes and of course, a villain, a prince (not the obvious one) and a princess. It WAS rather corny (breaking out in song in Central Park), but it was so well-intentioned, it's easy to go right along with it. Even my husband enjoyed it and I thought, at the end, he was going to tell me how bad it was but he thought it was really cute. And for us Moms, it's so easy to watch Dr. McDreamy and Prince Edward!! LOL. Anyway, the audience actually clapped when it ended (and we just went to see it on Dec. 29--6 weeks after it opened). We'll probably be buying it on DVD when it comes out. Worth it!
Teen, 16 years old Written byPianoForEver December 19, 2010

Too cute!

This movie is simply the cutest musical ever! The movie spoofs off of several well known fairy tales. The songs are super catchy! Several characters are very likable and in the end true love conquers all. Appropriate for the whole family.
Teen, 16 years old Written byiwasateengymnast August 6, 2011

great movie for upper elementary schoolers and beyond

i like this movie, its really good for children who want to see a unique disney movie in new york. i think its best for kids 5 and up since they may be able to handle the mild violence but i have seen kids as young as 3 or 4 yrs old watch it at the theatre i went to. it may be a little scary at some parts but its totally great for the most part, it will def. help teens with certain issues such as dating and true loves kiss, theres also lots of product advertisement bcuz its in new york we see lots of broadway show signs and food logos such as a mcdonalds and tgi fridays. so far, i am giving it a 4 out of 5 just bcuz of the mild violence most children may get scared of