All member reviews for Ender's Game

Kid, 12 years old July 21, 2014

Review on Ender's Game

Ender's game doesn't have much violence so it is good for kids nine and up to see.
Teen, 14 years old Written byOwen7668 June 30, 2014

Love this movie

Best movie even! The book is even better. Now i would because they leave a lot out. But i feel like if you're younger not a teen you ahould just watch the movie. Even though the book is so much better there is so language in the book. But ether way read the book and watch the movie.
Teen, 16 years old Written byawesomenesss June 16, 2014

lots of fighting explosions and shooting scenes. although its a lot for a kid to see war in action its a very good movie if you like science fiction.
Kid, 10 years old May 23, 2014

a must see

this movie has a lot of action. it should have been rated PG. it is age appropriate for 10 yr olds
Kid, 11 years old May 23, 2014

Game, but not a game. A movie!

I love the book, "Ender's Game" , and the movie did not disappoint me. Harrison Ford, once again, was amazing in acting and did an awesome video. All the other actors were just fine. There is some violence, but not too much to scare even teenagers. This film should please most people who have read the book.
Teen, 14 years old Written byMidori K. April 2, 2014

Loved it!

I just watched Ender's game last night and it was way better than I had expected. Now it's one of my favorite movies. Watch the flick. You won't regret it.
Kid, 11 years old March 16, 2014

Just Okay

This was a good movie, but not excellent. There is some mild swearing and violence, which could creep some kids out. Ender has a surgery where he screams and you see some blood. The aliens look very bizarre and creepy, and a fighting scene in the locker room can be a little disturbing. There is also a fight. People who read the book will definitely want to see the movie.
Teen, 17 years old Written bySeth S. March 7, 2014

3 1/2 stars:

You know what two things are extremely similar? My enjoyment for Ender's Game the book and my enjoyment for Ender's Game the movie. Let's start with the book, shall we? I read Ender's Game about a year ago. And I thoroughly enjoyed it from the first chapter to the last. Not only is it an entertaining story, but it also provided a canvas for Orson Scott Card to say deeper things about the tolls of war, the psychology of a leader, and the power of technology. In addition, it is a book that is well ahead of its time, in the way that it handles the World Wide Web. As I said, I liked the book from the first to the last chapter. BUT ... the book has an epilogue. And in this epilogue, the book completely lost me. After that last ending scene, I really had no desire to read any more of the Ender books. And the movie is pretty much the same. I was entertained for the vast majority of the film. But then the last 10 minutes happened, and we're treated to Ender's mind becoming one with the aliens. It's a plot development that's going for a home run, a way to bring in one final philosophical idea. But for me, it just didn't connect at all. Before we get to the plot, quick sidebar: For all those people making a huge fuss about boycotting this movie - are you doing anything to boycott the latest Roman Polanski movie? Nope? Didn't think so. People don't boycott Polanski's movies, they actively embrace them. Taking it a step further, renowned filmmakers including Martin Scorsese, Wes Anderson, Woody Allen, Darren Aronofsky, and Stephen Frears have all signed a petition to bring Polanski back to the States. So, child molestation is okay, but simply speaking up for a personal belief is boycott worthy... You can't have it both ways, but nobody seems to care. Anyways, Ender's Game is the story of Ender Wiggins. At the end of its rope, humanity must turns to children for deliverance. Ender is enrolled in "Battle School," where he'll try to become the greatest commander Earth has ever seen. He must protect humanity from "The Formics." Ender must climb the ranks at an unsightly pace, if he want's to protect those he loves. The movie does an exceptionally good job of bringing over a lot of what the novel has to offer. Sadly, the movie can't take the time to address the Valentine/Peter relationship, and that's the biggest thing missing. Other than that, the majority of Ender's story is in tact. And it's not just that much of the story is the same. The director and screenwriter, Gavin Hood, does an admirable job of capturing the essence of the book. We can feel the weight of the world as it slowly presses down on Ender. It's very well done. And speaking of Gavin Hood, this movie is infinitely better than his atrocity of a super hero film, X-Men Origins: Wolverine. That was free. My main problems with the movie rest in the aforementioned last 10 minutes (which is a fault of the source material, not the filmmaking itself). The pacing is a little slow at times. Some key/noticeable plot points aren't explained very well, such as Mazar's face tattoo thing, and the MD device. Now, if you've read the book, you can fill in the blanks and you know exactly what's going on. But if you haven't, you'll be pretty bemused at times. I'll get to my last problem in a second. The cast, or the vast majority of it, is exceptional! Asa Butterfield, of Hugo fame, hits all the right notes as Ender. He can play the confusion, the superior intellect, and ultimately the moral tragedy of the character. After the big twist at the end, Butterfield really turns it up a notch. What might be the most impressive thing about the performance is the fact that Butterfield has to go toe to toe with actors like Harrison Ford, Ben Kingsley, and Viola Davis. And speaking of those three, they all do what they can with what their given. Kingsley doesn't have a very large part, but he is Ben Kingsley after all. Viola Davis has the most thankless role as Major Anderson. But, like Kingsley, she has enough talent to make up for a bland character. Harrison Ford, on the other hand, has the meatiest role of the three. Colonel Graff, more than anybody else, is responsible for the final outcome of this story. Ford gives a performance that doesn't feel as phoned in as it could very well have been. As for the other child actors, they are solid in limited roles. It doesn't hurt when you cast two Academy Award nominees as your main female characters. Abigail Breslin and Hailee Steinfeld give entirely well-done performances. Sadly, Breslin is limited to only two or three scenes ... a shame. Steinfeld has more to do in the story, and she does it well. But the last problem I have with the movie lies in one of the villains (and one of the child actors). Moisés Arias (of Hannah Montana fame ... is that fame? I guess not.) just doesn't cut it as Bonzo. He's supposed to be this formidable, intimidating figure, but Arias is everything but. In all fairness, his acting isn't too too bad. But the main problem lies in the fact that Asa Butterfield and Hailee Steinfeld both look to be a good 7 or 8 inches taller than Arias. And the with that, the intimidation factor goes right out the window. The action and special effects are top shelf. The scenes in the Battle Room are surprisingly exhilarating! That's the part of the novel I was most looking forward to seeing on screen, and it didn't disappoint. The visuals are a pleasure to look at, and there's never a weak moment on screen. I bemoan the fact that James Horner was replaced as composer for this movie. In his place, we have the producers and the director demanding a completely derivative score. Steve Jablonsky's music for Ender's Game is a hodgepodge of previous musical efforts. Most noticeably, he completely rips off the Game of Thrones theme for his Battle School theme. It may be an imitative score, but that doesn't mean it's entirely ineffective in context. In a lot of places, Jablonsky's music does add a driving force to the images on screen. I applaud Ender's Game for its high ambitions. I applaud it for capitalizing on the source material and reaching most of those high ambitions. I also applaud it for being a YA movie that doesn't pander to any crowd. Still, the film is not without its flaws. But at the end of the day, I'm completely fine with the final product. It's a movie that deserved to be made. It's a movie that I enjoyed watching. But, like the book, it's also something where I have no real desire for a sequel. As a standalone film (which is what this will be, as it turns out), I was pleased and entertained. Nothing more or less. "In the moment when I truly understand my enemy, understand him well enough to defeat him, then in that very moment I also love him." 7/10
Kid, 12 years old March 4, 2014

WORST MOVIE OF 2013 - EVERYTHING IS BAD.

Teen, 13 years old Written byronaldo7 February 22, 2014

Kid, 11 years old February 18, 2014

Worthy for the Best Book Ever

Orson Scott Card's masterpiece book Ender's game is great. This is a little violent and har to understand.
Kid, 12 years old February 14, 2014

READ THIS PLEASE

I read the book and to begin this essay I must state the obvious, the book was better than the movie. The book really offered a new concept and it provides a reasonable debate, the movie is not nearly as controversial. The timeline is also completely wrong. It is still a good movie but you should definitely read the book. The book also says that the main character kills 2 boys, while in self-defense, it is still important for adults to be aware of this fact and allow their kids to see it accordingly. Thank You
Kid, 11 years old February 8, 2014

Compared to the book it was bad

The movie was good if you haven't read the book. It has a scene where ender kills a kid in the boys bathroom after being almost killed.
Teen, 13 years old Written bySocrates2000 January 22, 2014

Wow... not as good as the book, but still great!

This movie was EPIC!!! As a person who only says "epic" when absolutely needed, this is a huge compliment. I go to school and ask my friends if they know what Ender's Game is, and I am always so surprised when some don't, as the movie seemed to be a smash hit. They left out some major scenes: Ender's friendship with Alai, Ender's rocky start with Bean, the Locke/Demosthenes plot, and of course the unforgettable fact that, in the book, he is 6 when he comes to Battle School for the first time.I would have wanted to see Valentine show her tough side, and the REAL way Ender comes across the Hive Queen (see the book Ender in Exile for the full story). I did, however, adore this movie for the things they did get right. For example, they DID manage his bad relationship with Peter, though I wish they would have expressed his constant fear of being like him. The positive message was kind of obvious: no matter what, you can do it (it being whatever). As for positive role models, Ender is the best one out there. He makes mistakes, but is always striving to fix them. The violence in the movie (more so for the books) is extreme. Children are killed by other children and there are wars with aliens in which millions of humans are killed, though there is no blood in either scene. There are people holding hands in the movie, though one of the things I adore about the movie/book is that there is no romance. If you want romance, go to the second book in the series, Speaker for the Dead, though there isn't much in that, either. Bad language isn't as frequent as it was in the book, though there is the words "crap" and "smart a**". This movie was a thoroughly enjoyable one (except for those few quirks that I stated at the top), and I plan on watching it again. Unfortunately (at least for those who, like me, have read all of the books and are obsessed with the Enderverse), there will be no "Speaker for the Dead" movie, at the author's request (at least this is what I heard). He claims that some violence can't be seen on the big screen (see the piggies disemboweling the humans). The books are a great read, though!
Teen, 17 years old Written bykenwi January 20, 2014

Very good!

I really want to interest about the movie from the entertainment.
Kid, 11 years old January 11, 2014

Great movie, satisfying for a fan of the book.

I read the book a long time ago, and when I heard it was being made into a movie, I became really excited. In November 2013, I watched the movie and was not disappointed at all. It is just like the book! Any fan of the book should watch this movie!
Teen, 13 years old Written bySnowyjoe January 4, 2014

Enders Game Review

Enders Game has almost no inappropriate stuff, and only one swear in the entire movie! Violence was the only problem, with one scene showing a rat going through someones eye, and many scenes with fist fights and spaceship battles. Overall, Enders Game was a good movie!
Kid, 12 years old December 24, 2013

I watched this at Olympus Theatres on my birthday and it was awesome!Some intence sci-fi violence.Some hand holding and insulting.
Kid, 12 years old December 13, 2013

ENDER WIGGIN=AWESOME!

I LOVE THIS MOVIE GREAT ACTING AND GREAT STORY LINE !
Kid, 11 years old December 12, 2013

Ender's Game review

In the beginning, Ender gets bullies but defends himself by kicking the bully in the gut. They use the word "smartass". His brother, at one point, chokes him, and also Ender battles Bonzo in the shower, though we don't see anything except tho torso. Bonzo gets his head hit hard on the ground.