All member reviews for Ender's Game

Teen, 14 years old Written byMekalekahai October 31, 2013

Fantastic Movie!!

A.M.A.Z.I.N.G. The graphics are fantastic, the music is stunning. The characters are aged up a bit from where they are in the book, and the timeline is sped up a bit, but they managed to keep most of the details, and overall it was very impressive! The only thing I was a little bit disappointed with was how little they talked of Bean's past on the streets of Rotterdam, and the whole Locke/Demosthenes issue going on down on earth. But of course, a movie adaptation can't include everything, and it was still an extremely impressive and enjoyable movie. Go See It!
Kid, 9 years old November 1, 2013

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

im 9 and i saw it the day it came out. it was deficiently my FAVORITE M0VIE EVER!!!!!!! the only thing that i wanna tell you about is that its a little intense and really hard to understand. i would recommend this movie for 9 and 10 year olds depending on you maturity
Teen, 14 years old Written bymovielover7271 November 2, 2013

I've been waiting for this!!

As a huge fan of the book, ender's game didn't disappoint. Ender Wiggin (Asa Butterfield) is a troubled genius that is selected to train for the Inter national fleet years after the second alien attack. Cool strategy and action alongside great acting will keep you entertained, I say ages 9+ because the action is very stylized rather than realistic and they should be fine with the bathroom fight scene. You should go check it out if you haven't already. Grade A
Teen, 13 years old Written byLarperMan5 November 2, 2013

I'll give it a 3.5/5

The film was a pretty good adaptation of the book, however, we had the young Nicolas Cage as Ender and the role of Dap was clearly written for Samuel L. Jackson. However, I am glad that the director (notable for his work on the horrible "X-Men Origins: Wolverine" has had a lesson-learned scenario and learned how to direct a movie. Ender is a positive role model as he is a character doesn't want to kill anybody, and wants to bring peace to the galaxy, however, there are positive messages as well, because it shows that peace isn't exactly easy... Violence is very large scale, similar to that of a summer movie, and the language and sex are pretty much combined. There's an occurrence of the word "smart ass", and there are two occurrences of sexual dialogue ("I'm a woman but I have more balls than this whole team", "Your mom cheated so now you look like a plumber") however, these are the same kind of dialogue that can be heard in Elementary age classrooms. Overall, if your kid's 8, he can probably handle the film.
Teen, 15 years old Written byRhian De Questa November 3, 2013

The enemie's gate is down

Before anything else is said, congratulations to Gavin Hood for turning such a difficult, plot-packed story into a film that still follows it well. Some larger aspects of the books are left out, such as Locke/Demosthenes and deeper relationships with Ender and the people in his life, and while difficult to portray some of the aspects of Ender’s mind, such as his unique and beautiful ability to understand the minds of others, the film does it justice in it’s own way and the acting for both the children and the adults is superb. Parents should know that while the violence and language rate is less than the book, it is still there and two children are beaten near to death, one with a spiked instrument and kicking and the other with hot water and punches, ending in falling against a concrete block and cracking his head. Little blood is shows but it is still ghastly, especially as both beatings are done by another child. Both children later die in the book but this is not said in the movie. There is some language and crude words also said, and Ender is threatened several times with death by other children, including his brother. Main characters consist of Andrew ‘Ender’ Wiggin, who is taken from his family (his parents, violent brother Peter and loving, compassionate sister Valentine [played by Abigail Breslin]) to be taken to Battle School. There he is forced into a series of tests that will not only grade his ability to become a leader and a brilliant strategist, but also to understand how well he deals with pressure, rejection, hatred and frustration. Throughout the film Ender’s physical and psychological trials are difficult to watch. While at battle school he faces much enmity but also finds friends, the main two being Petra Arkanian (Hailee Steinfeld) and Bean (Aramis Knight). While Petra’s relationship with Ender is larger than the book and Bena’s smaller, they both retain their characteristic qualities, though Bean’s own talents being on par with Ender’s are unmentioned. Ender’s fascinating road to becoming a leader is necessarily left out as the film can only be so long, but enough of it is shown that people who haven’t read the book won’t be confused. The final main character is Colonel Graff, (Harrison Ford), who is good at what he does - find brilliant children and train them to be loners and leaders. Graff cares very little for the children themselves, and perhaps the most fascinating thing about the film is the moral controversy people always have when it comes to war and ‘do the ends justify the means’ question that has plagued the world for so long. Enough justice is given to both sides of the argument that a viewer with an opinion on the matter won’t be disappointed with a lack of evidence for their side. Graff and his counterparts Anderson (Viola Davis) and Rackham (Ben Kingsley) have their job clear and simple - find the best commander, use him to win not only this war, but the possibility of all future wars. They use Ender’s gift of understanding for their own morally debatable purposes, which is probably the greatest element of the book and movie. With stunning visual effects and characters and plotlines not easily forgotten, ‘Ender’s Game’ is a movie you can watch without reading the book but is definitely better if you have. It is a difficult novel to make into a screen adaption and they did a great job. Hats off to everyone who made this movie.
Teen, 15 years old Written byiPunk November 3, 2013

Tense movie stays somewhat faithful to the book

Ender was fighting, not for a confidence boost like most people, but to defend himself. When people fight back intending for it to be in self defense, sometimes people argue that they are the attacker. In the beginning, Ender gets into a fight with a classmate (the classmate started it), but when Ender put him to the ground, he kept kicking him. He said it was to avoid fights with him in the future. Which showed that he didn't feel safe around his classmates. Which was an issue for him. So he went to battle school desperate for an escape. There are some fight scenes, and some tense moments.
Kid, 12 years old November 11, 2013

Only the BEST young adult adaption EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!

I read the book several times, and this was an almost perfect adaption of it. Nothing important was cut out, and they captured all the exciting moments perfectly. Barely any language, Ender and Petra are just good friends, and only mild violence. The actors are very talented, and Ender, Valentine, and Petra are excellent role models for anyone. Great social messages. Read the book first, then SEE THE MOVIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Teen, 17 years old Written byB-KMastah November 10, 2013

Void of social commentary or thought-provoking dialogue.

Some films are a missed opportunity, but this is a series of boring and repetitive missed opportunities. There are many chances for social commentary here, but they instead allude to it - not even directly address it - within two lines of dialogue. They could have discussed children's increased aggression, the younger generation's affinity with video games and their potential influences, or war draftings, but no. We instead get many, many scenes of awkward child actors playing futuristic war games over and over spliced with what comes off as a not-so-good Full Metal Jacket ripoff, what with the "everyone except one kid hates a main protagonist and the drill sergeant is brutal" routine. Speaking of which, none of the kids are that good. Even Asa Butterfield as the lead is awkward; there are many narration sequences where you can totally tell that he's reading his lines off of a piece of paper behind a microphone in a post production studio. Ben Kingsley shows up for a bit but he doesn't do much, nor does Viola Davis (who they desperately needed to showcase more). I guess I was surprised to see Harrison Ford not do his famous finger point, but whatever. If anything, the film successfully proves that movies don't necessarily need to be in 3D to be immersive. There are scenes with first-person shots and floaty sequences of battle that work, but the film's very repetitive setup and lack of much character overshadows that. 4.8/10, lame, two thumbs down, below average, etc.
Kid, 10 years old November 12, 2013

Enders game

The movie opens with a violent alien vs. human battle that takes place in the sky.Ender beats up two kids the first one is a little bit bloody the second one he almost kills him with a head trauma.Some laser beam fighting.The final battle scene has a lot of deaths and destruction including a planet and a whole alien race.
Kid, 10 years old November 11, 2013

One of the best films of 2013

This is arguably one of the best films of 2013, to be honest, the only sci-fi franchise i have liked is transformers but this has taught me that even people who hate that stuff can have a new opinion on sci-fi. Ender's Game is well though and planned, and perfectly executed. Harrison Ford was great in this film and the ending has a plot twist, overall very violent from the start and disturbing in some scenes. Great for everyone 11 and up
Teen, 15 years old Written byJosh2515 November 10, 2013

Best movie of the year.

This is a really good movie definitely the best movie of the year so far. There are good messages about not giving up. not much language actors are really good and as for violence there is a bit like a kid falling and slamming his head on the corner of a shower. It stays pretty close to the book.
Teen, 15 years old Written byShadowofchaos41 November 4, 2013

PERFECTION!!!!

Great movie. Nothing to be too terribly concerned about. I strongly suggest it.
Teen, 14 years old Written byironkid21 November 12, 2013

Sci-fi adaptation has its cool moments but is overall just okay...

Ender's Game at first sounded like a fun idea. Then the trailer came out. Not that it looked bad but it looked really boring. And is it? Kind of but does it have redeeming moments. Yes I'd say that. When they are training through this portal thing where if they get shot, they freeze and stuff, those scenes were really fun! But most of every other scene in Ender's Game is quite dull. It takes itself way too seriously to the point where, at least, I felt bored. And most of the cast seems to be borderline overacting. Asa Butterfield, as great of an actor as he is, gets some pretty stale dialogue, and Harrison Ford, as great of an actor as he also is, is doing nothing but his usual grumpy old man routine that we've seen over and over again in his most recent films. The actors who get to bring their A game the most is Hailee Steinfield, Ben Kingsley, and Abigal Breslin! And the anticlimactic ending...maybe they're aiming for a sequel but lets hope it's better. Overall, this sci-fi adaptation may impress some but for me...it's just alright...
Teen, 14 years old Written byCWG1 November 4, 2013

Surprisingly Amazing!

I went in with expecting something good and I got something great. This followed the book pretty close, but couldn't cover all of the book because let's face it we don't need a five hour movie, but what they did cover however was amazing. There is no sex, nudity, gore, language, or drugs in this movie however there is a lot of intense scenes of combat and/or military, but these are not bloody nor graphic. mature 6 if not 5.
Kid, 11 years old November 9, 2013

Nothing to worry about.

If you are looking for a good movie to remember, pick Ender's Game! I went yesterday to it, and I thought the rating was accurate. Parents, if you don't want you kid to observe violence, you don't have to worry. There are only two fist-fights. And which there is no gore. There is an average amount of violence otherwise, including one boy punches another boy in the arm, a whole planet explodes, and martial arts training. The language is not that bad at all. There is only one use of cussing, which one boy calls the main character a smart-*ss. There are tons of positive messages through the movie. One more thing, this will not give anybody night mirrors.
Teen, 13 years old Written bySapphire12 November 12, 2014

Good movie! Highly recomend

I would highly recommend it for kids 12+. Some scenes might be scary for younger children.
Teen, 14 years old Written byJimmy brew November 2, 2014

Stunning and thrilling action sci fi is very gripping and moody

My rating:PG-13 for violence,language,sensuality,drug references and disturbing images
Teen, 15 years old Written byRadelite October 25, 2014

Awesome Space movie

Every Teen should see this movie if they have ever wanted to see a good space movie. Description: Follows a young kid(Ender Wiggin) who has been bulled by his brother and kids at school. And ends up beating up the leader of the bullies just to be sent to space where he gets bullied again and then must battle aliens with space ships that are light years away.
Kid, 11 years old October 22, 2014

Good but forgetteble

Violence- 3 (Characters kick at one another, scream and have laser fights)
Kid, 12 years old August 17, 2014

OK movie

I saw this movie when I was 11 with my whole family including my 7 year old brother and 11 year sister. The movie was pretty good and I thought it was better than the book. At some points in the movie it got a bit boring. There were some swear words but otherwise very kid friendly.