All member reviews for Ender's Game

Thought-provoking sci-fi adventure with military violence.

Teen, 15 years old Written byShadowofchaos41 November 4, 2013

PERFECTION!!!!

Great movie. Nothing to be too terribly concerned about. I strongly suggest it.
Adult Written byslasher23 August 16, 2014

some violent
Kid, 11 years old January 8, 2014

With its talented cast, though-provoking themes, and pulse pounding battle simulations, "Ender's Game" is a sic-fi flick with surprising depth and moral insight.

Although "Ender's Game" is based on a novel both CSM and I would agree should be reserved for moderately older readers, this film (directed by Gavin Hood, most notable for "X-Men Origins: Wolverine) should be suitable for most children, ranging from ages 10 to 12. There is one occurrence of minor profanity (Ender is recognized as a "smart-a--"), and there are two instances of minimally objectionable suggestive dialogue including the lines "I'm a woman and I have more balls than this whole team" and "Your mom cheated, so now you look like a plumber." Writers also chose to include words like "jerk," "coward," "crap," "oh my gosh," and "my god!" in the script. There is both personal and wide-scale violence in the movie. The movie opens with an explanation to how bug-like aliens killed millions of humans. Ender severely injures to different guys while defending himself against their personal attacks (the first fight is bloody and the second is a fist fight that ends with trauma). It's unclear wether either boy survives. Battle and Command school require require sparring and strategy games using weapons. An entire planet is destroyed, humans commit genocide against an alien nation. One minor surgery scene shows blood on a removed implant. Bonzo is obviously jealous of Ender spending time with Petra and commands him to stop training with her. Ender and Petra have a sweet friendship. They hold hands on occasion, and she confronts him when he's upset. We also see Ender (in the shower) from the waist up while naked and wearing just a towel. Overall, there is not much objectionable content present in "Ender's Game," therefore I think this should not be viewed by anyone age 9, although it's definitely a possibility for anyone age 10 and up.
Parent Written byLsfederico November 16, 2013

Sci-if mom (read the book, liked the movie)

This movie was exactly what it was supposed to be...a great science fiction story. I did read the book. As with most books made into movies, the film was too short to cover the plot completely. However, the creators did a pretty good job of including events from the text. In several cases events were combined into one screen battle, which actually took place over many battles in the book. But the point, that Ender is "the one" is clearly and interestingly portrayed in the film. I was glad that I had read it but the movie also stands alone quite well. We will take our kids (11 and 13) to see it in the theatre. It is not overtly violent considering the whole plot is a war. Most of the violence is virtual, just ships and lasers. The only real violence is self-defense. In fact, the message of non-violence is part of the story. A good movie. Go see it.
Kid, 10 years old November 12, 2013

Enders game

The movie opens with a violent alien vs. human battle that takes place in the sky.Ender beats up two kids the first one is a little bit bloody the second one he almost kills him with a head trauma.Some laser beam fighting.The final battle scene has a lot of deaths and destruction including a planet and a whole alien race.
Parent of a 12 year old Written byfriendlytoanimals November 9, 2013

Very violent, fairly true to the book

I liked the movie well enough, but I think the reviews here were a bit misleading as to just how violent it is. It's intensely violent, although not intensely gory. Pretty much the whole movie is filled with both real and simulated violence, as well as the rather twisted emotional violence heaped on the kids in the film. It's not just two scenes of kids brutally fighting, it's many many scenes of space war - just because these scenes look like a video game doesn't mean it isn't violence. This is all part of the story, and true to the book, so I'm not criticizing it, I just think that parents who don't like their kids to see violence should know. Anyhow, the movie does a fairly good job of portraying the book's major themes, however it fails to show the intellectual genius of Ender, and his siblings. Especially his siblings whose role is minor in the movie. The entire earth politics in the book are entirely omitted. We also don't get to have the understanding of the Buggers that the book provides, and I missed this a lot. The acting is good, the special effects are great, and the overriding theme is accomplished, but it wasn't what it could have been.
Teen, 13 years old Written bySapphire12 November 12, 2014

Good movie! Highly recomend

I would highly recommend it for kids 12+. Some scenes might be scary for younger children.
Teen, 14 years old Written byJimmy brew November 2, 2014

Stunning and thrilling action sci fi is very gripping and moody

My rating:PG-13 for violence,language,sensuality,drug references and disturbing images
Teen, 15 years old Written byRadelite October 25, 2014

Awesome Space movie

Every Teen should see this movie if they have ever wanted to see a good space movie. Description: Follows a young kid(Ender Wiggin) who has been bulled by his brother and kids at school. And ends up beating up the leader of the bullies just to be sent to space where he gets bullied again and then must battle aliens with space ships that are light years away.
Kid, 11 years old October 22, 2014

Good but forgetteble

Violence- 3 (Characters kick at one another, scream and have laser fights)
Kid, 12 years old August 17, 2014

OK movie

I saw this movie when I was 11 with my whole family including my 7 year old brother and 11 year sister. The movie was pretty good and I thought it was better than the book. At some points in the movie it got a bit boring. There were some swear words but otherwise very kid friendly.
Teen, 13 years old Written byHightech Redneck August 4, 2014

Not very good.

NOTE: I HAVE NOT READ THE BOOK! Not much humor, could use more action. The story wasn't good. The visual effects were good. The acting was average. Some of my friends told me this is a great movie with a great story and deep meaning, it's a not very good story with a liberal message. The ending is pretty violent and some language is used. Overall, there are so many better movies, I wouldn't bother.
Kid, 12 years old July 21, 2014

Review on Ender's Game

Ender's game doesn't have much violence so it is good for kids nine and up to see.
Teen, 14 years old Written byOwen7668 June 30, 2014

Love this movie

Best movie even! The book is even better. Now i would because they leave a lot out. But i feel like if you're younger not a teen you ahould just watch the movie. Even though the book is so much better there is so language in the book. But ether way read the book and watch the movie.
Teen, 16 years old Written byawesomenesss June 16, 2014

lots of fighting explosions and shooting scenes. although its a lot for a kid to see war in action its a very good movie if you like science fiction.
Educator and Parent Written byMovie Review Maven June 1, 2014

Movie Title: Ender's Game PG-13, 1 hour 53 minutes Grade: A- In a Nutshell: This sci-fi tween thriller deserved to be made into a film, as the book has been popular with kids since 1985. Congrats to Orson Scott Card for making it on to the big screen! Most of the source book fans have been very pleased with the movie adaptation, although they admit that a few interesting aspects were rushed or necessarily left out because of the time constraints. The battle scenes feel like you’re watching someone play a video game, but the special effects are pretty amazing. You’ll feel like a 12 year old kid again and wish you could float around in the battle simulator. Things I liked: I love Harrison Ford, even if I have to see him as a grumpy, aging man. I’ve also adored Ben Kingsley ever since he won an Oscar for Best Actor in Gandhi many years ago. The design on his face was very cool and supposed to represent a way to speak for the dead. His father was a Maori. I have a friend whose ancestry is Maori. He plays the ukulele and sings songs in Maori for his students. You feel like you get your money’s worth because the film is long, but moves quickly. I thought Ender’s squeaky, pubescent voice was perfect because it constantly reminds you that he is still just a boy. Asa Butterfield does a terrific job. I loved him in Hugo. Ben Kingsley was in that movie as well. It was simply stunning in 3D. I liked the cadets’ white casual wear and would like one for myself to wear at home when I’m just kicking around. I hadn’t read the book, so I had no idea what was going to happen. I love twists. The zero gravity room looks super fun! I went Indoor Skydiving in Las Vegas recently and had a blast…literally! A giant fan blasts air at you so that you float. I highly recommend it! Things I didn’t like: So, it only takes 3 adults to run that entire spaceship? I was surprised at the amateur-looking credits at the end of the movie. It takes itself a little bit too seriously and could have been improved with more peppering of humor. Uplifting theme: The way we win matters. “Let us train our soldiers so they can be gifted at war AND peace.” Funny lines: “This is basic rocket science, people!” - teacher “Game over.” - Ender Interesting lines: * “When you truly understand your enemy, you love them.” Things to look for: The button on the back of their necks that is used to monitor them reminded me of The Matrix . Hailee Steinfeld plays a character whose name is Petra. Petra means rock in Latin. She becomes Ender’s rock throughout their experience in the training experience in the International Fleet. Tips for parents: There is a lot of violence, some bullying, and a repeated use of the word “A**hole” in Spanish by a character named Bonzo. There is no other profanity, other than mean name-calling by bullies. There are some interesting moral dilemmas that could provide interesting dinner conversations for your family.
Kid, 10 years old May 23, 2014

a must see

this movie has a lot of action. it should have been rated PG. it is age appropriate for 10 yr olds
Kid, 11 years old May 23, 2014

Game, but not a game. A movie!

I love the book, "Ender's Game" , and the movie did not disappoint me. Harrison Ford, once again, was amazing in acting and did an awesome video. All the other actors were just fine. There is some violence, but not too much to scare even teenagers. This film should please most people who have read the book.
Teen, 14 years old Written byMidori K. April 2, 2014

Loved it!

I just watched Ender's game last night and it was way better than I had expected. Now it's one of my favorite movies. Watch the flick. You won't regret it.
Kid, 11 years old March 16, 2014

Just Okay

This was a good movie, but not excellent. There is some mild swearing and violence, which could creep some kids out. Ender has a surgery where he screams and you see some blood. The aliens look very bizarre and creepy, and a fighting scene in the locker room can be a little disturbing. There is also a fight. People who read the book will definitely want to see the movie.