All member reviews for Enemy

Mind-bending, surreal mystery with sex and language.

Educator and Parent Written bymovienerd95 April 11, 2014

WHAT?!?!

Very complicated and sexually charged psychological thriller, There is several scense of breast nudity, some mature sex scenes and a scene of full nudity. There is also around 18 F words during the film.
Teen, 17 years old Written byB-KMastah March 22, 2014

Its cohesiveness is an achievement in itself but it goes way past that.

Quite the surreal trip. This is a very delicate premise because it could very quickly became contrived, convoluted, or pretentious, or all three. But, thanks to the strongly fitting tone, mesmerizing direction, gloomy color palette, and nicely understated performance, this is gripping. Its concept could seem very messy on paper but on screen it comes off as smooth and Hitchcockian, and the score helps more (it kind of reminded me of The Shining). Not a ton happens until the third act, and trust me, after the end, you'll want to look up interpretation and analysis it yourself. Earlier in the film I felt as if it didn't have a ton of depth and that it was a pretty simple story with not a ton else going on. I don't have anything against that but I thought that this could have more to it. However, the last fifteen minutes totally took me by surprised and it makes you rethink the film as a whole, and I'm probably going to see this again to watch it from a different perspective. There's a small timespan of about five minutes where I was bored, but this is one of the best films of 2014. 9.2/10, amazing, far above average, two thumbs up, etc.
Teen, 17 years old Written byMoviefanadick June 28, 2014

Not your traditional psychological thriller!

If you are going to watch this film to see a psychological thriller where two men take over each other's lives, you'll get something totally different. Enemy at times can be confusing, but overall it is a very unique film that I enjoyed watching. When the final credits rolled I had to take time to think about the movie. At first, I didn't know if I liked it or not. But, after watching it again, I realize that it is a really good film. The ending will throw you off at first, but the more you watch Enemy, the more you will understand. Enemy is a one of a kind film that I would gladly watch again. Grade: B+
Teen, 15 years old Written byJustin Rivera July 17, 2014

Surrealist Masterwork

Hypnotic, surreal, mysterious, eerie and engrossing. This film contained phenomenal performances from its cast, Jake Gyllenhaal especially. This film was also very well written and well shot. It's very hard to describe this film, it's unlike any other film I've seen, if I could compare it to any movie, I would compare it to Nicholas Winding Refn's Only God Forgives. Enemy is a brilliant and dreamlike experience that I adored, it is now one of my all time favorites. As for content, the film is full of some strong sexual content and female nudity, there definitely isn't a role model in sight. The film is also extremely ominous, creating a very dark and creepy atmosphere that may frighten some.