All member reviews for Epic

Animated adventure amuses but doesn't live up to its title.

Parent Written byDan G. May 27, 2013

Might be the best family movie of the summer

My wife and I took our 8 year old to see this movie and we all enjoyed it very much. The storyline was engaging, the characters were relatively well developed. The voice acting was excellent and the animation was very good. There is no real objectionable material. The evil guys are probably too much for pre-schoolers, there is a much tension and menace, and the animated characters get beat up pretty good in the movie, both the good and the bad.
Adult Written bycourtwork May 25, 2013

Creative and light - great for little ones 5 -7 and up, depending on your kids

This movie is very creative and light. In my opinion, it's great for kids 7 and up, and may be fine for younger, depending on your kid(s). The "bad guys" can be creepy looking and threatening, but mild by comparison to many other PG or even G (Disney) movie bad guy characters. We took three 10 year old boys, who all enjoyed it, although they weren't pumping their fists the way they would have been leaving Ironman 3 (some of them are not allowed to see PG-13 movies yet). I found the animation to be beautiful, the story line sweet, and the characters appealing. It was very creatively done and visually delightful. Little girls will like the imagery of the flowers and the queen, and there are several strong female characters. Little boys will like the battle scenes and the mischievous but honorable protagonist, as well as his mentor. There were quite a few small children in the audience, and I never heard anyone screaming in fear, which is always refreshing! There are undertones of romance between some of the characters, but it all stays pretty tame. I give this one two thumbs up and kudos to the creative team and all of the actors for making a beautiful film that parents can take kids to without cringing!
Parent of a 7 year old Written bywill'smom May 27, 2013

Girl Friendly does not equal Girly

Very enjoyable. Agree that this is not the newest plot line you've ever seen and that the little kiss/ romantic hint between the heroine and younger hero was unnecessary. For our family, the scene of Queen Tara dying was the hardest - empathetic children may be affected by this one. That said, the strong female leads were great. While "romantic" they were certainly not fawning-wait for rescue types. Love that the movie ends setting a 3rd female up to be the heroine of the future. Overall, we enjoyed it and i would recommend it easily.
Kid, 11 years old May 25, 2013

EPIC MOVIE ACTUALLY EPIC

This movie was great, with nothing inappropriate about it. There was some leaf man vs bogin (evil dudes) violence, but nothing more than some spear throwing and punching, so nothing too graphic. EPIC WAS EPIC
Parent Written byhanlolj May 26, 2013

Better than expected!

Finally, a movie marketed to children that seems appropriate for kids?! Action packed, but not too intense. Very creative. Took two 9 year-old girls to see this and they really enjoyed it - they even commented on how creative it was. A very pretty movie to watch - great scenery, colors.
Teen, 17 years old Written byndrwcd May 24, 2013

another animated winner made in 2013

Doesn't quite live up to its title but epic is still a pretty good movie none the less
Parent Written byRileysPapa May 24, 2013

Enjoyed it.

Enjoyed this movie. Fast paced and has a easy to follow story. The bad guys can be a little scary looking so use your judgement.
Teen, 16 years old Written byUnknownpearson May 24, 2013

Epic is epic

The moves great it has some heist effects its just I've seen these type of animated comedy where action kissing at the end , I'm tired of them.oh my goodness it's just annoying .it happens all the types like these including wreck it Ralph. That's what I'm talking about .I mean if I keep on seeing the same types its obious that who will win
Parent of a 8 year old Written byLookingCloserDad May 26, 2013

Great family movie.....

A+ for Education because it show the dedication of the Scientist needed to be great. The interaction and relationship of the boy and girl was appropriate (one kiss) in this crazy world . War is a large part of the plot, but still comes out as a positive as you are saving our environment. It's nice to see a movie that's not a remake and supports imagination and the make believe. I have to say Avatar came to mind... But it came across a lot better for me..
Parent of a 5, 10, 14, and 16 year old Written byMomisummer May 27, 2013

Nice.

I saw it with my 6 year old and it was okay. the two snails and slug were pretty funny and it entertained my sun. Lots of violence, of course.
Kid, 9 years old June 3, 2013

Really is EPIC

I went to see this new release with my mom, brother 4yo, and my other brother 8yo. It really is epic, but maybe too epic for some kids. The boggins might scare some kids. For some parts my brother 4yo was on my moms lap, he was a little scared.The movie had a lot of violence, I don't think it had to be that violent to make it good. If kids are paying attention they might learn some new stuff about nature. There are positive role models and positive messages too. My mom was caught laughing in the middle of the movie, I was too. There's a little bit of humor with slugs. Please go see this film. I recommend it to 5yo and up. I hope this review helped you.
Parent Written byJWrobel May 28, 2013

Just OK.

Took my 7 yr old and 4 yr old. Prior to viewing, we had a conversation about the language (use of "idiot," shut up," etc.) and battle scenes. Thought both kids were prepared. I wish I had known about the vacuum cleaner scene; this one was pretty traumatic for my 4 yr old. If your child is sensitive to vacuum cleaners, please know that in one scene the dad tries to vacuum up his miniature daughter and friends. I liked that this movie involved little technology (other than video cameras and one tiny appearance of an iPhone).
Kid, 11 years old May 30, 2013

Really good, dog may scare younger children.

"Epic" is epic. Despite what it currently says when you look at this movie on here, I think that it does live up to your expectations. You should see this movie if you like animated movies. If not, that's probably fine too. I wrote that this has "sex" in it, because it has a kiss at the end, like all animated fairy tale like things. It's really not bad. I guess just if you/your kids are at that age where they are GENUINELY yelling or thinking "EWWW!" every time they see someone kiss on screen, in real life, whatever. Pretty much everyone in the movie except for the villains are positive role models. The leafmen are very brave, much like soldiers, and kind. They won't leave a man behind. The queen is very kind, powerful, and good humored. The main character is kind (Even though one of her ears has three piercings), environmental, and funny. Her dad is also VERY environmental, caring, and kind. The only thing I would warn about this movie is if you or your child is really young and possibly scared of dogs. The dog in this movie has three legs and one eye, and that might scare some young kids. The positive message is to be kind to the environment. Don't kill bugs, tear leaves, etc. That's the educational part, too. So I suggest going to see epic. If your relatively older, like maybe a pre-teen and up, this movie is entertaining, and has some pretty good actors in it. And singers. There's Beyoncé, Pit Bull, Josh Hutcherson, Amanda Seyfried, etc. It's really good! GO SEE IT!
Adult Written byJEDI micah May 26, 2013

From the creators of Ice Age.

This movie is alright. It's not as great as other animation studios like Pixar or DreamWorks, but younger kids would definitely find this entertaining. Some moments are a little too much, such as some important characters dying, and a few spooky scenes, but nothing too graphic (as in all animated movies!). Parents may find Steven Tyler playing as the caterpillar the funniest moment throughout the whole movie! Who knew he could be a good voice actor! So as mentioned before, this is an ok movie, but something could have been added to make it more "epic".
Teen, 13 years old Written bydanielvasquezgimaikl May 26, 2013

Epic

This Movie is really Epic but it have Violence and Scary Image, There A kiss scene also, There some language like Oh God and Jerk
Parent of a 8 and 10 year old Written byKarenSkyy May 28, 2013

Not EPIC but still good.

After having started seeing previews for this movie over a year ago I expected it to be great. It did not live up to my expectations but, I would say the movie was very good for families. As for the development of the characters there is not much back story and they do make reference to things that probably should have been explained. It made me feel like the outsider on an inside joke. However, the general plot though is good vs. evil and in the end good wins. Younger kids will like the excitement and the characters. The bogins are a bit scary. They wear rodent skins and bug carcasses and want to kill the forest. The leaf men are the good guys trying to defeat the bogins and keep the forest lush and green. The messages are good. The battle scenes are not too scary the bogins mostly shoot arrows near other characters that cause sap (or something) to bubble up from the trees. The queen does get killed by the bogins but she also reappears in a couple of scenes after her death. I think it's a fun movie for most kids.
Written byAnonymous June 11, 2013

A beautifully animated adventure

A beautifully animated adventure story, will keep kids interested from beginning to the end. The romantic relationship was mild enough for younger children, yet still kept the interest of slightly older kids. The "bad guys" were gruesome, dark and quite violent however there was no blood. Parents should know that animal carcasses are seen and used by the bad guys as clothing. It is spectacular to watch and very enjoyable.
Kid, 10 years old May 28, 2013

Think Before Seeing Epic With Your Kids

Epic is of course, epic. It is pretty good and thrilling but there are some things on why I rated this 4 stars. First lets start with the positive. This movie is great but not perfect although M.K. and Nod play a good part in the movie and there are some benefits that the Leafmen take care of. This movie is also violent. The queen dies and M.K. shrinks to be 2 inches tall. When Ronin shoots an arrow at one evil tree dude the whole tree turns out to be an army. M.K's mom supposedly dies in the movie and there is an epic fight between the Boggans and the Leafmen. But overall the violence is a little bit above the average PG movie especially the 3-D version. M.K. and Nod has a close bond to each other and at the end when M.K. turns into her regular height, they kiss but its not too bad for a 7 year old. The sexual activity is about average for a 5-7 year old. On average, kids 7 and above are allowed to see this movie. If your kids are under 7, think twice before bringing your kids.
Kid, 9 years old July 30, 2013

Good movie for kids

It's a really good movie and it doesn't have any rude parts.Some of the parts are really funny.Children you celebrities well will probably know Beyonce so kids will be crazy about it but tell the kids that she is only there for beginning part because after that she dies.
Parent of a 6 and 9 year old Written bySnoozhe May 28, 2013

Good summer movie!

We (I) thoroughly enjoyed this movie! My 9 year old daughter gave it a 5. It is beautiful visually, and the story is sweet. I usually look at a movie from 3 perspectives: the story, the visual, and the script. The first two of these were very good, though I didn't read the book. Very seldom is a movie "better" than the book anyway. The script could have been better, but there is no bad language and no innuendo (there is some flirting and a quick kiss). The slug and snail add most of the comic relief. It is really enjoyable and went fast for me. My kids didn't make a peep the whole movie! :-)