All member reviews for Epic

Animated adventure amuses but doesn't live up to its title.

Parent of a 7 year old Written bywill'smom May 27, 2013

Girl Friendly does not equal Girly

Very enjoyable. Agree that this is not the newest plot line you've ever seen and that the little kiss/ romantic hint between the heroine and younger hero was unnecessary. For our family, the scene of Queen Tara dying was the hardest - empathetic children may be affected by this one. That said, the strong female leads were great. While "romantic" they were certainly not fawning-wait for rescue types. Love that the movie ends setting a 3rd female up to be the heroine of the future. Overall, we enjoyed it and i would recommend it easily.
Parent Written byDan G. May 27, 2013

Might be the best family movie of the summer

My wife and I took our 8 year old to see this movie and we all enjoyed it very much. The storyline was engaging, the characters were relatively well developed. The voice acting was excellent and the animation was very good. There is no real objectionable material. The evil guys are probably too much for pre-schoolers, there is a much tension and menace, and the animated characters get beat up pretty good in the movie, both the good and the bad.
Adult Written bycourtwork May 25, 2013

Creative and light - great for little ones 5 -7 and up, depending on your kids

This movie is very creative and light. In my opinion, it's great for kids 7 and up, and may be fine for younger, depending on your kid(s). The "bad guys" can be creepy looking and threatening, but mild by comparison to many other PG or even G (Disney) movie bad guy characters. We took three 10 year old boys, who all enjoyed it, although they weren't pumping their fists the way they would have been leaving Ironman 3 (some of them are not allowed to see PG-13 movies yet). I found the animation to be beautiful, the story line sweet, and the characters appealing. It was very creatively done and visually delightful. Little girls will like the imagery of the flowers and the queen, and there are several strong female characters. Little boys will like the battle scenes and the mischievous but honorable protagonist, as well as his mentor. There were quite a few small children in the audience, and I never heard anyone screaming in fear, which is always refreshing! There are undertones of romance between some of the characters, but it all stays pretty tame. I give this one two thumbs up and kudos to the creative team and all of the actors for making a beautiful film that parents can take kids to without cringing!
Parent Written byKrekker March 15, 2014

Fantastic family night film!

We just finished watching Epic and thoroughly enjoyed it. We felt that the current rating of 3 stars is too low! The slug and snail, as well as Ozzie, the pug provided lots of laughs. Great story kept us engaged. 4.5 stars from us!
Kid, 9 years old July 30, 2013

Good movie for kids

It's a really good movie and it doesn't have any rude parts.Some of the parts are really funny.Children you celebrities well will probably know Beyonce so kids will be crazy about it but tell the kids that she is only there for beginning part because after that she dies.
Educator and Parent Written byRM811 June 24, 2013

Best family movie in a while

This is the most enjoyable kids movie I've seen in quite a while. It is visually stunning, has balanced characters that are easy to relate to (imperfect but basically good people), good male role models (smart guys, tough guys who still show feelings, guys who look out for each other), and a reverence for nature. There were funny parts where I laughed out loud, and tender parts that nearly made me cry, but none of it was too much for my 6 and 9 year old. While there were some mild fight scenes (protecting the good, fighting the relatively mild bad guy), there was nothing gruesome or offensive, no sex, and overall a really nice message of community.
Parent Written bymomof2plus June 4, 2013

If You Haven't Seen it Go...definitely a keeper!

Our family LOVED this movie! Great characters, funny, lots of adventure, positive role models, lots of fun, creative and beautiful as well! I can see where the Queen dying could upset sensitive/younger children. It was handled well I thought though and loved who was chosen as the new queen. I don't have girls but loved the positive strong female examples! Loved that there was nothing inappropriate. My husband and I and our son all loved the movie! There were no previews at the theater we saw it at but agree with the poster who was appalled at the inappropriate previews that were shown at the theater her family saw it at...what is up with that? It's disgusting the previews that are shown at family movies especially when there are a ton of alternatives in all the fun family movies coming out this summer yet! Maybe if parents start complaining to the theater managers about inappropriate previews that will make a difference or even check ahead and if inappropriate make it clear that they will be waiting to see it on DVD where they can fast forward through the previews if needed. I've been in the same boat also and am glad you posted about it!
Kid, 9 years old June 3, 2013

Really is EPIC

I went to see this new release with my mom, brother 4yo, and my other brother 8yo. It really is epic, but maybe too epic for some kids. The boggins might scare some kids. For some parts my brother 4yo was on my moms lap, he was a little scared.The movie had a lot of violence, I don't think it had to be that violent to make it good. If kids are paying attention they might learn some new stuff about nature. There are positive role models and positive messages too. My mom was caught laughing in the middle of the movie, I was too. There's a little bit of humor with slugs. Please go see this film. I recommend it to 5yo and up. I hope this review helped you.
Adult Written byTimTheTVGuy June 1, 2013

ATTENTION EVERYONE: Do not let CSM brainwash you, because this film TOTALLY lives up to it's title. CSM dosen't know ANYTHING.

Epic is about a girl named Mary Katherine (who prefers to be called M.K.), who goes to live with her estranged father Bomba, who is a disgraced professor. Later in the film, M.K (who thought his father is mentaly ill) witnesses the death of a tiny forest queen named Tara. I thought this was a perfect film. I loved it so much. I was just so impressed by it. It was soooooooooooooo funny. Not to mention the awesome action. I really enjoyed the characters. I loved the slugs. They were so funny, my stomach was hurting after all the laughs they had to offer. The dog was really interesting. He was one of the funniest dogs ever. M.K. is another characters i'd go nuts for. I loved when she told her dog "no kisses!" I feel the same way whem a dog wants to lick me. Anyways, I saw this film today, and I seriously want to get it on DVD when it comes to DVD. EPIC IS EPIC!
Adult Written bynduns May 29, 2013

Disappointing but still worth it

If I could give this a 3.5, I'd feel more comfortable giving it that, but giving it a 4 I think would be giving it too much credit. When I saw the trailers for this, this looked like it was going to be Blue Sky's best film, the one that would finally break their trend of movies with great visuals but average story lines/characters and ultimately give us the perfect blend of both story and visuals. Unfortunately, it suffers from the exact same problems their other films have... aside from Horton Hears a Who. It has very stunning visuals. It's a true feast for the eyes. Unfortunately, the story and characters are just not engaging. They're not unlikable, they're just not interesting with the main character, Mary Katherine, being shockingly useless throughout most of the film despite her supposedly being the ultimate key to salvation. The only difference between Epic and Blue Sky's other works is that it's more mature, but honestly, I'm not even sure if that works in its favor. The film is worth checking out, but don't go into it with super-high expectations otherwise you're going to be disappointed.
Adult Written byJEDI micah May 26, 2013

From the creators of Ice Age.

This movie is alright. It's not as great as other animation studios like Pixar or DreamWorks, but younger kids would definitely find this entertaining. Some moments are a little too much, such as some important characters dying, and a few spooky scenes, but nothing too graphic (as in all animated movies!). Parents may find Steven Tyler playing as the caterpillar the funniest moment throughout the whole movie! Who knew he could be a good voice actor! So as mentioned before, this is an ok movie, but something could have been added to make it more "epic".
Kid, 8 years old January 25, 2015

8 yr old Thoughts on epic

I am eight years old and I had to leave this movie. It was sweet at first but the second the queen died everything went downhill. Overall I found this movie to be too violent.
Teen, 14 years old Written bymedialover32 August 31, 2013

it's ok

good, sometimes boring. i only liked ais ansari
Parent of a 8 year old Written bycaribbeandream June 15, 2013

Great movie for the whole family

I went to this movie with very low expectations and walked away pleasantly surprised. I loved the relationship between father and daughter b/c it showed how people can love each other and still struggle to get along. I also loved that MK is neither a tomboy nor a princess in need to be rescued. She is just a regular teenager. I appreciated the fact that there were no gross jokes or jokes mean to "go over the head" of kids. It was jus a clean, family-friendly movie. The animation was beautiful and the story was sweet. Only really young and/or sensitive children will be scared by this movie. The one reason I did not give it five stars is b/c the casting department dropped the ball when they cast Beyonce as the voice of the Queen.
Parent Written byMoviesReviewsAdvisor June 12, 2013

Awful ending.

I loved the movie when I first saw it but the ending was the worst ending of my life! M'k didn't become the queen , but not only that she became a human again! Completely stupid. You call that a movie? Don't watch it unless you want a big bowl of dissapointment! Clearly yes, people these days complain about movies being Xtremly predictable, now this movie was unpredictable but also such a dissapointment. -Dissapointing.
Parent Written byMindfulParent247 June 8, 2013

Great movie! Classic-good guys vs bad guys. Little girl's dream comes true at end. A lot of violence. Some scary looking characters that are fighting-may scare the younger crowd. Very entertaining and keeps going-a fun movie to go see.
Parent of a 5 and 5 year old Written byPrettyFlower June 4, 2013

Good but can be scary

I took my 5.5 year-old and their 6.5 y-o friend to watch Epic. They all enjoyed it but my two were scared during the fighting scenes. Also, with all these types of films, the action is really fast, so they can miss out on some info (what the dad does, where the action takes place, etc.). If I had known about the book earlier, maybe I would have tried and read it with them. Otherwise, it's a nice story.
Parent of a 4 year old Written byBritny H May 30, 2013

Only would change 1 thing

I truly enjoyed the movie and my 4 year old daughter enjoyed it as well. She just can't stop talking about it. The movie was very colorful with a great story line. The only issue I had was the voice of the Queen. Beyonce is an awesome singer but I felt they should’ve gotten someone else to the voice over. But all in all it was a great movie. I can’t wait until it comes out on DVD.
Parent of a 8 and 10 year old Written byKarenSkyy May 28, 2013

Not EPIC but still good.

After having started seeing previews for this movie over a year ago I expected it to be great. It did not live up to my expectations but, I would say the movie was very good for families. As for the development of the characters there is not much back story and they do make reference to things that probably should have been explained. It made me feel like the outsider on an inside joke. However, the general plot though is good vs. evil and in the end good wins. Younger kids will like the excitement and the characters. The bogins are a bit scary. They wear rodent skins and bug carcasses and want to kill the forest. The leaf men are the good guys trying to defeat the bogins and keep the forest lush and green. The messages are good. The battle scenes are not too scary the bogins mostly shoot arrows near other characters that cause sap (or something) to bubble up from the trees. The queen does get killed by the bogins but she also reappears in a couple of scenes after her death. I think it's a fun movie for most kids.
Parent Written byJWrobel May 28, 2013

Just OK.

Took my 7 yr old and 4 yr old. Prior to viewing, we had a conversation about the language (use of "idiot," shut up," etc.) and battle scenes. Thought both kids were prepared. I wish I had known about the vacuum cleaner scene; this one was pretty traumatic for my 4 yr old. If your child is sensitive to vacuum cleaners, please know that in one scene the dad tries to vacuum up his miniature daughter and friends. I liked that this movie involved little technology (other than video cameras and one tiny appearance of an iPhone).