All member reviews for Escape from New York

Extremely dark '80s sci-fi classic is too intense for kids.

Teen, 15 years old Written byLucasGodzilla September 8, 2016

An Amazing Gritty Cult Classic!

One of my favorite director of all time has got to be John Carpenter. Carpenter in my opinion, is probably the master in horror and thrillers, as well as a fair novice in comedy and one-liners. Escape From New York is the third Carpenter film I've ever watched, and ever since I've feel in love with it's gritty action. Escape From New York tells the tale in the dystopian future -or technically past as of now- where the entirety of Manhattan Island has been converted to a maximum security penitentiary. It is here were we meet Snake Plissken, a war veteran who was caught robbing the federal reserves and is about to sentenced to the island for life. However to make a long story short, the President's private plane on a crucial flight crash lands into the island, forcing the commissioner his only option of sending in Snake not as a prisoner, but as an armed and dangerous soldier to search for the president. His motivation? How about having microscopic bombs implanted into your neck. From there on you are tossed into the extremely atmospheric and run down version of the New York we all know. Escape From New York excels in its dark and violent mood which still tenses the viewers even today. Overall, Escape From New York is one of Carpenter's finest flicks next to -in my opinion- Prince of Darkness, and The Thing. My favorite thing about the entire movie, is probably the synth soundtrack which is just flat-out amazing and is definitely worth a look on I-Tunes or whatever digital music shop you use. Escape From New York even spawned an enjoyable sequel as well, but it's very campy and nowhere near as great as the first, but it's always worth a look as well. Escape From New York is for the most part fairly tame. As mentioned above it's really the edgy sort of tension that really makes the movie mature content wise. Other than that, there's a considerable amount of smoking, there are an occasional amount f-bombs throughout the film, the violence is fairly tame in today's standards (though do note that there are numerous bloody gunshot wounds but it's not particularly graphic), and there's one blurry or dark rape scene in the background but it's nothing to really worry about that much. So would I recommend this film to you readers? Yes, yes I do, go watch it now!
Teen, 17 years old Written bydavyborn January 18, 2012

Black as night 80's action pic if for older teens and up, only

John Carpenters 1981 cult classic, Escape from New York, is one very dated movie. But, that is not to say that it still can't manage to work it's charms on you, even if though you are watching it nearly thirty-years after it's initial release into cinemas. So, the simple story is made complicated by legions of side characters, side stories and sidetracks, but, this is the main ring of it: Snake Plisskin (Kurt Russel) is a professional badass, who must infiltrate the now completely rundown prison city off New York, which is overrun by seedy thugs, punks and gangs. He must trudge through the cities underworld, deeper and deeper, so that he will be able to rescue the president of the United States, who is now being held hospital by the biggest gang in New York City. See, the nice thing about Escape from New York, is that it still sounds quirky, quaint and lovably old-fashioned, all these years later, which makes it all the more effective as a sci-fi\action\thriller. So, even though it is rated R, it is still very, very tame by today's standards of the same exact rating, but, that is not to say that it isn't deserved, because it is: There is infrequent but strong violence including several very brutal fistfights, gunfights, torture and even one very explicit image of mutilation. Also, there is one very graphic but very quick seen of a group of thugs attempting to rape a unconscious woman, with her bare breasts revealed very quickly. And, finally, there is infrequent but moderate profanity as well, including f--k, sh-t, b-tch, a--hole, b-st-rd and jesus christ. So, with that all being said, this movie is still entertaining in it's own right, to this day. So, John Carpenter's and cult fan's still see much to love in it. Reccomended.
Parent Written byPredatorman April 3, 2014

Great Movie

Really good has one scene of nudity but its in the background and blurry. Also, you see a man holding a chopped off hand. Not much cursing
Adult Written bylemonlover July 19, 2012

Consider that...

The movie has some scens of nudity. F**k is used a lot. There are moments where you view gunfire, beatings, etc. Smoking is seen in this movie.
Kid, 11 years old September 17, 2011

Not appropriate for kids

I saw it even though I am only 11. The special FX are not very good and 1 scene involving a naked person. Quite a bit of language. Watch it before your kids do.
Adult Written byAndrew Haxley February 6, 2011
This Movie Has 1 Positive Message And It's To Treat Our Country With Respect? The Main Reason I Am Reviewing The Movie Is Because The Violence Here Is Bad! Guns Knives And Many Deaths In The Movie Are Not To Be Expected By Young Adult's Or Teens Especially If You Cannot Handle Such A Violent Sniper Film!!! And It Takes Place In California Institute of the Arts, Valencia, California, USA That Is Where They Filmed It But I Should Say It's A Cool Thing They Did That Also!!! The Nudity Is Just Too Much And Is Explicit A Man Plays With His Crotch Very Disturbing!!! And The Profanity Is Very Strong For A R-Rated Film A B-Word Is Said And The F Word And Then The J And C And B Word Is Used A Lot And Also The Sob Is Bad Too!!!! If You Have Kids And They Ask To See This Movie Tell Them That They Have To Be 18 & Older To See This Movie!!! You Guy's Have A Good Day! Bye!