All member reviews for Escape from Planet Earth

Predictable alien adventure is violent and forgettable.

Parent Written byMomof4BOYS43 February 17, 2013

A hit for the whole family!

We took our 4 boys to see this today! It was great! They all loved it. They are ages 5, 6, 8 and 9. I read the except written by the site here before we went and I have to say I disagree wholeheartedly. There are plenty of positive messages, the violence is very light, and the language and sexual overtures are suited fine for kids. My husband and I both enjoyed it also. Very cute, very entertaining and some humor that only the adults would catch on with.
Parent Written bypaulmas40 February 18, 2013

Lighten up, it was cute!

Don't know what all the fuss is about. I'm pretty stern about what my kids watch and see, but this movie is getting a bad rap! It's good. All my kids enjoyed it from ages 5-11. Nothing too scary here. This is a cute animated movie! In comparison to other PG movies, I thought this was mild. Humor was cute and there ARE positive messages. Learning to get along with your siblings and appreciate family for one. My kids have seen only G rated movies for the most part and I had no problem with them seeing this.
Teen, 17 years old Written byabbacus February 16, 2013

Terrible.

This movie is awful and should not exist. That's all there is to it. It's too cruel, violent, and sexual too be a kids movie, but there's no way in heck teens and adults are going too like it. Please save your money. This movie is garbage.
Parent of an infant, 9, 9, 11, 13, and 16 year old Written byCallie Cate Carson February 22, 2013

Ages Newborn-9! Funny experience!

WARNING: this is more my experience with the movie than a review I decided to take the whole family out for a movie yesterday, and there weren't that many playing for kids. I was going to see "silver lining's playbook" with my daughter Mackynzee (16). My 11 year old Eliza Grace wanted to go see "Safe Haven" but she had already seen it and she needed to help watch the kids. We couldn't find a good movie, so we sent Eliza, her 13 year old brother Cadence, the twins Annalisa and Avery (9), and baby Maclyn (2 months), to go see escape from planet earth. As I was walking out of the theatre with Mackynzee to go find the kids after our movie, an employee stopped us. He told us that Cadence and Eliza were kicked out for disrupting the movie. I asked what happened and he said they were laughing too much. Either the movie was hilarious, or they were just being teens. I predicted the latter, and I was correct. I found them standing in the arcade and immediately asked what had happened. They explained that the movie was "The lamest thing ever". I went into the theatre immediately to check on the twins and the baby, and found them being perfectly responsible in the front row. They were taking turns holding the baby and it was just about the cutest thing ever! They all later told me they enjoyed the movie. Moral to the story: teens/tweens will be easily bored with the movie and will most likely cause trouble.
Educator and Parent Written byRM811 June 24, 2013

A hefty dose of stereotypes and misogyny

Yuck. If you want to make sure your kids get their daily supply of insulting stereotypes and misogynism, go for it. If you have taste, skip it. You will never get these hours of your life back. Lessons your kids can learn from this movie: 1. Beefy handsome guys with poor judgement are hotter than men who love their families. 2. Rocket scientists who decide to have a family lose all credibility when they give birth. 3. Successful career women are sexy, cruel and secretly desperate. 4. Adventure and daring are better than rational decision-making and risk assessment. 5. The government is exploiting and secretly plotting against innocents across the universe. 6. Smart and hot are opposites, except for the occasional hot lady, who can be both judged by her appearance and underestimated because she's a woman. No thanks. What kind of family movie is this anyway? Stay away!
Kid, 10 years old June 12, 2013

Nerdy Alien Movie is a Flick for Kids but Horrible in an Adult Way

Eh, I think this movie is about average. I never enjoyed or disliked it but its an okay flick for kids on your TV remote and kids can learn from this movie although it has no educational value. And also, who the heck would put freeze rays in a PG movie?! Despicable Me did it for comical purposes and that's okay. Tranquilizers are also in effect too. It puts you to sleep by the government although its a weapon that is meant to stop criminals. Then, the aliens get frozen. They instead get revived by Gary's reactor. That is a crappy way to revive someone. Violence is not only bad, but sex is in a horrible way. The extra terrestrial film is not too far from marriages, kissing and flirting. Also, kids might think this is a 7-Eleven commercial along with the slurpee referenced as "the most delicious frozen drink in the universe." Overall, the movie's peril and sexual content makes it iffy for kids 8 and under.
Parent Written bySteveGC June 9, 2013

Relax, the review is embellished

There are some family movies worthy of the review given, but this one is not it. Glad I read these other reviews instead of relying on the main one, or I would've skipped renting a harmless, entertaining movie for the family (kids aged 4 and 8). It's not the best movie by any means, but I see no real reason to skip it if you're looking for a decent bit of family fun. Give it a shot.
Parent Written byholyds29 April 12, 2013

What's up with this review!

I can't believe the bad review on here. I thought this movies goal was to show family love even when we mess up. And that we need to brave for the ones we love when they need it the most!!!! The rest falls way short of the actual message. My daughter and I laughed so much and really had a blast together and scenes about kissing and stuff is way overblown. My daughter knows that is not for her. Even she has more common sense than this review!! This is one of the best animated movies for the fam.
Kid, 11 years old June 14, 2013

Escape From Planet Earth - Review

I don;t know why this movie is getting so much hatred, it is awesome! Great role models, message, educational value, and an overall fun experience! It is a movie to watch and I put down violence, it doesn't even have much and sex well there may be a quick kiss or two but get real kids can hopefully get past that! Please watch this movie -- you won;t regret it!
Teen, 15 years old Written byAnimeIsAwesome808 June 4, 2013

Terrible, just TERRIBLE.

Wow, I really hate this film. The plot is overdone: A bunch of aliens land on Earth. Wow, that is done to death. The humor is really gross. I felt sick my stomach when I saw this. Please don't watch EfPE. It is totally a must MISS movie.
Kid, 12 years old June 20, 2014

1 star got to be kidding me

this movie is just awesome and funny i really love it and others will to if you don't like this movie its fine don't take this the wrong way I love it!!!
Teen, 13 years old Written bySees Little January 12, 2014

Common Sense is right!

This is the worst animated film I've ever seen. Worse than "The Croods." Worse than the first "Kung Fu Panda" Movie. (The Sequel however, was almost perfect) "Escape from Planet Earth" just isn't suspenseful enough and the villain makes horrible comebacks and the worst part is that my favorite band helped make some of the music for this movie. Plus the film isn't scientifically accurate (and by that I mean other than the topic of aliens.) Just don't watch it.
Kid, 9 years old December 8, 2013

WORST ANIMATED MOVIE EVER!

This movie was the worst movie ever! There was not any funny people in the movie and i got it for 4.99! Do not watch it is bad!
Teen, 15 years old Written byskeletonslife441 July 19, 2013

It should've been a direct-to-dvd film.

it was horrible.
Kid, 8 years old July 15, 2013

cool.

funny.
Teen, 15 years old Written byMrMovieBuff June 20, 2013

Boring movie.

Escape from Planet Earth is very horrible film. Gross humor, incredibly boring, crappy CGI, and everything.
Teen, 14 years old Written byironkid21 March 1, 2013

Average animated flick has its moments but all in all should've gone straight to DVD

Here's a movie that should've went straight to DVD but just happened to land in theaters, meaning this is the very definition of okay. Yes this flick has its moments including a 7-11 scene, a random yet entertaining food fight, a sweet ending, and scene stealing performances mainly from Craig Robinson, Ricky Gervais, Steve Zahn, Chris Parnell, and Sofia Vergara...but some of it feels like slapped together cliches thrown in a blender. The first half of the film is very funny, but then as soon as Gary's (Rob Corddry, last seen in the thoroughly entertaining "Warm Bodies") cocky, boneheaded brother Scorch (Brendan Fraiser, last seen in 2010's atrocious "Furry Vengeance") goes to earth it goes downhill but then as soon as Gary goes to save him in a really funny 7-11 bit, it goes up but then as soon as he gets taken, it goes downhill and this cycle pretty much repeats itself throughout the whole movie. It could've done way more with the story. They're aliens on earth right? They could go to a bunch of places and get into a bunch of funny adventures and antics right? But no...they have to go by a family movie cliche playbook and if you've seen any other family movie like this...you know exactly where it's going. This is coming from somebody who's always loved family movie cliches and its done well on a lot of parts but on some others, it comes off as kind of lame. The way to describe this movie is pretty much like a bad roller coaster. When it goes up your like wow but when it goes down you get dizzy but in the end, it makes you feel good. I would give this 2 and a half out of 5 but this website doesn't have that option
Parent of a 12 and 14 year old Written bybrown_eyed_girl February 24, 2013

Disappointing

A predictable and slightly boring space cartoon. Lots of product shots. The big brother is a mean dumb jock, the little brother is a scaredy cat nerd, the little brother saves the day, and good triumphs over evil. I have no idea why they had a pointless side story about the now stay-at-home mom who used to be a test pilot and the evil villain insulting her about it. It's 2013, we aren't too dumb to know that moms work, stay home, or work at home if they choose. The ending felt like they said "Hey, look at the time! Let's wrap this sucker up so folks can go home!" because the big climax scene didn't really make sense except, you know, it's the end so... cue explosion and let the good guys win. A few laughs a la MIB and celebrity aliens living among us if you are bored and have nothing else to do, but as an adult don't go into it expecting to be wowed.
Parent of a 7 year old Written bytheliteraryfeline February 22, 2013

Cute Movie, being give a bad rap for no good reason

This is a really cute movie, which is perfectly age appropiate for 6-7y/o's. I don't really know why its getting such a bad rap on Common Sense Media. Yes, the bad guys dad is squished by a metor/whateveritwas, but this was 1 scene, lasting maybe 10 sec. They focused on the importance of families sticking together, supporting each other, and how its impt to accept different strenghts among family members. There is minimal kissing, and it's btw married couples, or parent-child. It may have been a bit predicable, but its for KIDS...I think most parents would have to say that kids shows tend to be a bit predicable. It was a cute show, and my son loved it. It had enough funny lines that both of us were laughing. It was a nice way to spend an afternoon. I really think its being judged pretty harshly, and would recommend it to other families.
Parent Written byCabassoG February 16, 2013

Escape From This Movie

I cannot think of much more to say about this film outside of simply stating that the review above is correct. I cannot think of too many positives about this movie. The crowd whose jokes this movie appeals to will be bothered by many of the scenes of violence and general scariness. Older children will dislike the young humor. Edit: meant 1 star