All member reviews for Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Imaginative, loopy romance has mature themes, profanity.

Adult Written byperlepress April 9, 2008

incomprehensible

What were these two excellent actors thinking. This is a stupid, ill conceived somewhat sour movie. COmpletely missable.
Adult Written bymasterofthemovies March 18, 2011

one of the best movies i've ever seen. the only problem some parents would have is some common R rated language throughout the film. some IMPLIED sex and some brief drug use. in the end all of that can be overlooked for a great story that is incredible.
Teen, 13 years old Written bybubbleboy April 13, 2009

BRILLIANT!!!!

This is, by far, the best work that Jim Carrey has EVER done; even better than "The Truman Show." Also turning in a rather fabulous performance is one of my favorite actresses, the marvelous Kate Winslet. Charlie Kauffman once again proves his brilliance in this, zany, eccentric, and undeniably sweet romantic comedy-sci fi-thing. The film begins at the end, one of the brilliances of it, so my review may prove to be confusing, but one of the films' many strengths is the way that it takes sucha complicated idea and make it easy-to-follow without being simple or shallow. Here goes nothin': Jim Carrey boards a train and meets Kate Winslet, and they sprak a relationship. Then the film goes forward (or backward?) in time to where he and she broke up. While attempting to win back Winslet's Clementine, Carrey's Joel realizes that there's something fishy going on. Led by her friends to a company that erases minds called Lacuna (Brilliant, isn't it), used primarily for bad relationships. Joel decides to have the same done, but begins second guessung himself as they start the procedure. And that's only the beginning. We then go inside Joel's mind, where a conscious version of himself desperately tries two things to keep them from erasing Clementine forever: 1. Wake himself up or 2. Hide her in memories that they'd never think to look in. *BREATH* Isn't that positively labyrinthine? And as that story continues and we learn more about Joel's early life, we learn that the relationships at Lacuna are just as messed up as the people that they treat. This is definitely one of my favorite films, and would reccomend it to anyone who is a teenager. Personally, I think that Common Sense overreacted with the whole 17+ thing for there was some suggestive material (brief drug use, sexual content without nudity) but it was nothing that I hadn't been exposed to before nor do I think that many teens haven't. So run, don't walk, to see "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind," you definitely won't be sorry.
Adult Written byrobbie1107 April 9, 2008

An intriguing film that keeps the mind guessing...

This movie was amazing! I enjoy that in order to completely understand, you must indulge yourself in the entire movie. You don't figure out the end, until the end, unpredictable movies are great! Probably not suitable for all ages but 16+.
Teen, 16 years old Written byELECTROcuteyy April 9, 2008

Awesome

I watched this when I was about 13 with my mother, father, and 11 year old brother. I did not find anything too offensive or adult for myself or my brother, neither did my parents. I think that it's a very thought-provoking movie for most ages.
Teen, 15 years old Written byAndrew2011 July 16, 2014

What was CommonSenseMedia thinking on this one?

I've been using this site for a very long time to help determine appropriate/inappropriate movies. But I have to say, their rating for 'Eternal Sunshine' is easily the most inaccurate, strict assigning I've ever come across in their site. In no way is it an iffy choice for teens 17 and up. That's ridiculous. There should be four stars for language, and three stars for sex. In any event, it was the best film of the past decade. Extraordinarily ambitious, incredibly well-made in terms of film-making (beautiful mise en scene and cinematography), brilliantly-written (as we've come to expect from Kaufman). There isn't any other rom-com like it, to the point where it actually doesn't do the film justice to call it a mere rom-com. It's arguably just as much sci-fi. And 14 year-olds can see it. It's quite strange how off-the-bar CSM was with this one...I'm almost wondering if they watched the same movie.
Parent Written bya b c d e fag March 21, 2014

Teen, 14 years old Written byJustin Rivera March 17, 2014

A Surreal Masterwork

Breathtaking, melancholic, surreal, imaginative, witty and absolutely masterful. Eternal Sunshine is one of the most unique romantic dramas ever made. With gorgeous visuals, amazing acting, thought provoking story telling and witty dialogue, Eternal Sunshine does it's job flawlessly. It's not just a movie about blind romance, it's all about the clockworks of love, what really makes relationships work and what makes them fail, although it is a depressing film, it's a relevant film. It's loaded with symbolism, metaphor and philosophical themes. Although I loved this film, it is a bit edgy on the content, there is lot's of sexual references, themes and situations, a character is shown masturbating to an erotic drawing (not too graphic), two characters have sex (not shown, implied). There is also lot's of foul language. Although it is not said that there is a positive message here, there is. This film is about fighting for those you love, what feats you would go to just for love. The main character isn't the best person in the world, he has flaws, but he is a good person who has clearly made mistakes and tries his hardest to right where he went wrong, he fights for the woman he loves and is not willing to give up. All good for 14 and up!
Teen, 15 years old Written byHi_Gee February 1, 2014

Teen, 14 years old Written byCWG1 September 23, 2013

In my top 10

One of my favorite movies. It does have some implicated sexual content in which it implies masturbation at one point, and implies that a couple had sex a few times other than that there is nothing seriously inappropriate. There is some language, but it is pretty laid back in terms of language. Some references to drugs, but nothing that bad. I mean this is a pretty chilled R rated movie, and is an amazing movies it is very trippy and amazing in terms of special effects and camera work, but the only complaint is the terrible soundtrack other than that this is an amazing movie.
Teen, 17 years old Written byBestPicture1996 August 21, 2013

Look at the CSM alternatives to this movie!

They're "Adaptation" and "Being John Malkovich," both written out of the gorgeously insane mind of Charlie Kaufman. That's because there are no movies like Kaufman's...cerebral trips that explore big time themes, this one encompassing that age old statement "I wish I could forget that." This movie shows that even the bad times aren't what you think, and in a relationship the pros can outweigh the cons...except that concept is better executed by Ace Ventura, Rose, Frodo, Mary Jane and the Hulk, aka the immensely talented cast picked to showcase some bravura chops. I salute you Mr. Kaufman!
Teen, 17 years old Written byPrincessCharmed797 January 25, 2013

Not a Manic PIxie Dream Girl

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is one of those extremely re-watchable movies you never really get tired of. The supporting cast is brilliant, the chemistry between the leads is palpable, and the wonderful, loopy cinematography can carry the movie by itself. But that's not it. Jim Carrey gives one of the best performances of his career here. The tender, sensitive Joel and the brash yet insecure Clementine are polar opposites. Yet, you see why they are drawn to each other. Joel's honesty refreshes Clementine, and Clementine's unpredictability keeps Joel intrigued. But Clementine is not perfect. Joel's no hot shot either. The final 15 minutes of the film exposes a truth: You accept the faults in other people in order to love them.
Teen, 14 years old Written byellie.me. October 24, 2012

Not A Manic Pixie Dream Girl

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is one of those extremely re-watchable movies you never really get tired of. The supporting cast is brilliant, the chemistry between the leads is palpable, and the wonderful, loopy cinematography can carry the movie by itself. But that's not it. Jim Carrey gives one of the best performances of his career here. The tender, sensitive Joel and the brash yet insecure Clementine are polar opposites. Probably one of the oddest pairings you'd see in a film but they seem natural. Like you don't even know how these two wouldn't get together in the real world. Joel's honesty refreshes Clementine, and Clementine's unpredictability keeps Joel intrigued. But Clementine's not perfect. Joel's no hot shot either. The final 15 minutes of the film exposes a truth: You accept the faults in other people in order to love them.
Adult Written byDrew9 January 17, 2011

Complex, funny, sad, and very imaginative

This is one of the best movies ever,seriously. First off the acting is just so great. Jim Carey, in a role that should've been oscar nominated, is so great. He's a shy guy that has a sad side, but Carey still includes humor, but nothing like ace ventura haha. Kate Winslet is equally as great too. She is his ex-girlfriend Caroline. She's neurotic, off the wall, and different. She's like a person with OCD, but she plays a perfect counter part to Carey, even though they're such different charcters. And good supporting performances by Mark Ruffalo, Kirsten Dunst, Elijah Wood, and Tom Wilkinson to keep the movie even. Michel Gondry's directing is also very good. Handheld is what it seems like he used, but with each memory erasing, he makes each one different and very stylized. And the movie has the indie feel to it too. And most off all, Charlie Kaufman's script. Again, he introduces the audience to almost another way of living and a new idea, as he did in Being John Malkovich or Adaptation. No one else couldv'e thought of such a complex and original story. The script is funny, smart, emotional, and really makes us feel what Joel is feeling. Love being erased, and having to leave it behind, and how we remember the moments we have with the person that we love. And this is what other movies try to do, introductig a new idea, but get lost in the concept and not the emotion and its characters, but this movie has a strong emotional core, so it works great. And the way he sets up the movie too. You kind of question yourself where the story is at, but you never have compulse about it because its so entertaining that you'll find out sometime, but you can just enjoy it now. And for the content, its not that bad at all. Some infrequent language including f*** and some other words throughout, but its not over the top. Some drug content. And sex is not bad at all. Only one brief part with nudity where it shows Mark Ruffalo's behind, but that's it. And other minor sexual content that's not even anything bad. But people will really appreciate this movie mostly of its originality and emotional core.
Teen, 16 years old Written byRainy Day October 2, 2010

Meet Me in Montauk

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind has been one of my favorite movies for a long time. Other reviewers below have talked about the various bits of foul language and sexual content that happen in the movie, so I'll advise you to believe what they say below instead of just repeating it here. I'd rather take this space to convince you to see it instead of reading reviews about the film online. This Michel Gondry-directed gem of a movie is all about heartache, and the notion of erasing painful memories from the mind. Charlie Kaufman's script rings with honesty and unconventional romance, and Jon Brion's score lends a beautiful air of melancholy to the picture. As for the acting, Jim Carrey proves that he is better at dramatic roles than he is comedic ones, and Kate Winslet herself earned a Best Actress nomination for her role as the mixed-up Clementine. After I saw this movie for the first time, I felt like laughing and crying simultaneously. Years later, I still remember that one scene on the beach at night. It's just that memorable
Teen, 14 years old Written bywhyhellomister144 February 23, 2010

I really didn't have a problem with it...

Coming from an average, well raised fourteen year old girl, I didn't have much of a problem tolerating the content. It's not like any of it is new....there's a bit of smoking marijuana, nudity....well, most teenagers have seen that before most likely in heath class or movies. I think that it was creatively brilliant and had fantastic directing/acting, so my recommendation is: give it a shot, close your eyes at the nudity if you want (it's not too graphic, I promise), and you may actually like it. :) Hope I helped :)
Adult Written byFatJedi February 3, 2009

Funny and touching story, especially for those who have experienced a break-up

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is a fascinating journey through a man's memories. The screenplay is truly deserving of the Oscar it received, and Kate Winslet and Jim Carrey work surprisingly well together. As far as content, the language is the main concern here, with at least 30 f-words, among many other expletives. There is a brief (and funny) scene involving masturbation, and there is a scene with two people who are naked, though no nudity is shown. There is no actual sex in the film, but there are multiple references to it. I recommend this to anyone mature enough to handle harsh language, and at least understands sexuality.
Adult Written byabuddy8 April 9, 2008

Adult Written bylorif April 9, 2008

Adult Written bySonia Montejano April 9, 2008

good movie if you want something complex..

Sometimes we're in the mood for a romance that isn't so sally-met-harry and little more unpredictable... this is definitely one of them. A good movie that keeps you thinking-- good acting. For more mature audiences..