All member reviews for Ever After

Charming take on Cinderella tale has strong heroine.

Parent of a 7 year old Written byeswanson April 9, 2008

Great flick

My 4 yo woke up early from his nap while I was watching this on TV recently. He wanted to watch and I figured I'd let him until something objectionable showed up. Nothing ever did. I wouldn't recommend it for little ones but there's certainly nothing wrong with them being in the room while an older sib enjoys. I don't recommend it b/c I just don't think it would appeal to them. I love how Cinderella is a strong woman with solid values - not a one sided Disney character.
Adult Written byAshnak April 9, 2008

Great Movie

This is a great movie that really supprised me. I thought it would be another romantic mush but it actually entertained me. I would put this on a must see list.
Parent of a 8 and 11 year old Written bykerwin70 April 9, 2008

This movie is a real find!

I watched it myself and loved it. After I bought the DVD, I wondered if my two daughters, now 7 and 4, would enjoy it as well. They love it and consider it one of their favorites. A big plus for me, having girls, is that this Cinderella has her own values and is always true to herself. I also enjoyed the addition of Leonardo da Vinci into the mix. I can deal with the fighting sequences, i.e. mostly swordplay, as it is not gratuitous. The review mentioned an expletive, but, honestly, we missed it. I really didn't have to worry about my then-3-year-old watching this movie at all. Love it!
Parent Written byRob79 March 22, 2009

A smart retelling of a familiar tale

I always liked this movie and my daughter, who has loved the Cinderella story since she was little, likes it too. It shows Danielle as a strong intelligent woman who rises above a bad situation. One scene that bothered me -- when the stepmother beats Danielle and the next scene shows her stepsister bathing the wounds on her back and she couldn't walk well.My daughter missed it, but it seemed unnecessary domestic violence as the stepmother was already sufficiently mean. Otherwise it's a very smart retelling of a very familiar story. It even has Danielle saving the prince in one scene!
Teen, 15 years old Written byCSM Screen Name... April 9, 2008

Awesome movie made dirty

Great movie, would recommend an edited version. There was a few insinuations of a eunuch, and there was a couple of strong swear-words. Get edited!!!
Kid, 12 years old July 6, 2010

A movie on Girl-Power set on the orignal Cinderella Story

Ever After is not like the old cinderella story of a pretty girl, evil stepsisters and glass slippers. Ever After is a story in which gives a mixture of Girl Power but still keeps the charm and romance of the old story in which I truly love. But there are some very small problems. One was some of the scenes. When my little sister was watching it last year when she was seven she saw the Father dying and this really upsetted her (along with me) and was so upset we had to stop the movie and put her to bed, and when the whip marks on Danielle was shown this alarmed me and again upsetted my sister so I do not recommend it for children under eight. Other than it it was a charming story based on romance and charm.
Educator and Parent Written byCommonSenseChristian January 1, 2013

Cinderella Jumps Ahead of her Time

"Ever After" features a Cinderella even the most modern, feminist mom can get behind. Danielle De Barbarac is a bookworm, intelligent, broad-minded for her time, witty, and yes, knows how to kick behind when necessary (although that comes with cautions, which we'll get to in a minute). Prince Henry is a spoiled pretty boy, but he falls for Danielle, not because she's pretty, but because she makes him rethink his values. Add in a tender sixteenth-century romance, and this one's a winner--with cautions. Violence is the first of these. Danielle sees her father die of a heart attack; though not inherently violent, that could be disturbing for the youngest viewers. Her stepmother lashes her, and we see somewhat bloody evidence on her back. The lashing was the consequence of Danielle giving a stepsister a black eye; this is totally understandable, but not acceptable as a frequent response to conflict. The other disturbing part is a subplot involving Danielle being seduced, and very nearly raped, by a villain twice her age. She defends herself and escapes, but sensitive viewers will be troubled. For adults and mature teens, though, feel free to indulge.
Adult Written byCami_ron_ron10 December 13, 2009

Lovely movie

I love this movie and was shocked to finally realize it was PG-13. I had never noticed till today. My only question is, if it IS PG-13, why is it rated "on" for ages 6 and up? That doesn't make much sense to me. But if you mute the one part that DaVinci's language gets a little colorful, overall it's a wonderful movie.
Teen, 13 years old Written byinvisible73 July 14, 2015

Beautiful movie.

One of the best movies I've ever seen. I love the fact that it's set in 16th century. I personally love everything that is attached to history. It's a story about a couple who's not allowed to be together. There are lots of good messages in this movie. It's well described how people lived in the past and how was it like to be a slave. This movie teaches you a lot about history and how things changed until today. Every family should watch this beautiful story about love.
Adult Written bydeb2 November 10, 2014

Great movie, good message

This is a great re-telling of Cinderella, with some positive role models. The hero stands up for others and doesn't need rescuing. We laughed and cried and loved this movie!
Parent of a 12 year old Written byThe Benevolent ... May 17, 2011
Kid, 9 years old October 18, 2014

It was okay for my age

Somebody who is under 6 shouldn't watch it but it's not "NOT FOR KIDS." There is a little kissing, it's not a whole sex drama movie. If your child is 8+ but doesn't like swords, please, don't show your child this movie.
Teen, 13 years old Written byBelisandra August 1, 2014

Refreshing and Unique Cinderella Tale

Ever After is a really wonderful movies for families to enjoy. I'm pretty sure any girl would love it, and most guys would probably like it. There are a couple swordfights, a character dies, both which scare or upset younger kids. But the action and adventure for anyone over five, unless you're child is very sensitive, should be totally okay. There is some well-played and well acted romance, and a couple kisses, but nothing inappropriate. There are a few bad words here and there, but mature kids should be able to handle it. In some versions the bad words are edited out so it's no big deal. But in one version, the pg-13 one, the bad words are still there (that's probably the only pg-13 part of the entire movie). The stepmothers dislike for Danielle could possibly upset younger kids, especially ones who may be getting step-mothers or fathers of their own. But Danielle is strong, independent, intelligent, and compassionate female role model for little girls. There is something to be learned in almost every aspect of this movie. It is a must see for anyone and a great flick for anytime.
Kid, 12 years old October 10, 2012

awesome movie

I thought it was a great movie. It is a version of the Cinderella story .I think 8 year olds would like this movie . In the movie Danielle is a positive role model. There is very little violence. 8 year olds can see this movie because it is appropriate for many ages.
Parent of a 6 year old Written bymadsmooney1214 August 31, 2012

ever after

Families can talk about how this movie differs from more traditional versions of the Cinderella story. is its central message different as well? Does the stepmother truly not love Danielle? Is the feeling mutual? Why does Danielle still seek her love?
Teen, 14 years old Written byj10a1 April 21, 2012

Fantastic movie

Kid, 12 years old March 26, 2012

Wonderfull!

The movie "Ever After" is a must see for the whole family. It is indeed a charming twist to Cinderella. Set in France, this movie is sure to delight one and all.
Adult Written byPhoebeana March 25, 2012

YES YOU WILL LOVE IT!

What a great movie from start to finish if you love Cinderella you will love it and if you don't like Cinderella you will still like this film I promise. There is a little violence, language, and a bit more kissing then I would recommend for my children but I think you will love it and be dazzled to death by it!
Teen, 14 years old Written bystylemusings December 29, 2011

Danielle Doesn't Need A Pumpkin Carriage!

My mom put this in my stocking a few Christmases ago, and I watched it immediately because I love Drew Barrymore as a person and as an actress! I love how Cinderella is portrayed as a strong, smart, and brave woman! Danielle is a great role model for girls! (Finally!)
Kid, 12 years old November 16, 2011

Dude, i LOVE this movie!

Dude, i love this movie so much! it is so good. but that may just be me since i love romantic stuff and fairytale endings. Danielle, the main character is an example of an excellent role model. She stands up for people who are poorer than she, and is not afraid to stand up for her beleifs, even to the Prince. The Prince is trying to escape an arranged marriage and is attracted to danielle for her boldness, except he doesnt know that she is a peasant, for to save a servant to go to the Americas, she dressed up as a lady of the court giving a series of lies about her identity. This moive is amzing and i didnt say that much about it so you have to see it! It still follows the cinderella plot except it gives a tale that is actually possible.