All member reviews for Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed

Controversial look at evolution meant for family discussion.

Teen, 15 years old Written byJoker15 July 2, 2009

A Great look at the comparisons between socalism and atheism

Expelled is a very well done documentary examining how universities and professors have fired teachers for just barely reccommending intelligiant design in their reports rather then evolution. This movie is not for most liberals, and is definitely for conservatives. However, both may be confused by it. In the movie, Ben Stein interviews the Expelled teachers, and later Atheist professors and compares the atheists and scientologists to the Nazis and the Communists during the Cold War. My only concern with this movie is it's dark comparisons with the Cold War. We briefly see some violent images from time to time. These include film clips in which a bully thratens another kid, and in various historical clips which include images of the 1968 riots, communists enforcing Socalisim during the Cold War, and images from the Holocost wich include patients being examined a brief scene of a pile of dead bodies in a concentration camp. As for sex/nudity, there is nothing except for the aforementioned shot of dead bodies which are all naked. As for smoking, we see Edward R. Murrow smoking in one or two brief scenes. If you are a conservative and support intelligent design, you'll love this film. If you're a liberal, not so much. I do not reccomened this for kids under 11. They will be either bored or scared by the plot and themes. This film is alright for kids at age 12, but they may be disturbed or confused by the dark themes. It is age appropriate for kids 13 and older. I give it 4 out of five. It is not perfect, but it has a lot of common sense.
Teen, 15 years old Written bycross_breed September 17, 2009

Great Movie with A Great Message

Great movie. Everyone needs to watch this. The scientific community has persecuted the Faith long enough. Although Stein does not actually promote the Faith, he does show the persecution of Intelligent Design in the scientific community. It is a very good movie, and an eye opener.
Teen, 14 years old Written byhurstårdettill October 17, 2010

Absolute Garbage

This "critical" look at the teaching of creationism had about the intellectual content of a road-runner cartoon. Other reviews stated that it's "stimulating". Why? Because it's saying things you agree with. Opinions who had prior to watching the film? That's not "eye-opening", that's pandering. This movie is for hyper-religious, reality-denying, ignoramuses. It makes gross comparison's implying a link between communism/fascism to atheist/secularism (by the way, Hitler was catholic. Read "Mein Kamf"). This movie is religious babble. And any intelligent person would read the premise and laugh.
Adult Written bycrackerjack5 January 21, 2010

A must-see for every biology student!

Ben Stein does a wonderful job exposing the biases that exist in educational institutions over science. Little kids will be bored, but it is an excellent movie for middle-schoolers and up. There are some graphic scenes of the Holocaust that are pretty disturbing, but nothing bad other than that.
Teen, 14 years old Written byKaty0 September 19, 2009

Expelled is fine for 10+ (some photos and talk of the Holocaust) but most children at that age probably won't get much out of it.
Parent of a 14 year old Written byTsion July 9, 2009

Provacative and Stimulating, A Must-See!

This movie is perfect for family discussion. Not only is it extremely well-made, it is very thought-provoking and stimulating. There is no language, sex, or onscreen violence, only some tense images of the Holocaust. The positive theme of asking questions and looking for truth is promoted, and Stein is always respectful to whoever he's interviewing, whether they agree with him or not.
Parent of a 6 and 8 year old Written byArt Expressions March 31, 2009

This is one of the best if not most thought provoking movies in a long time. Extremely well executed and filmed. I have not only bought it but am currently loaning it or showing it to many others. I let my young children watch because although there may be issues touching on sensitive subjects such as the Holocaust, it is reality and history they should understand at whatever level they can and more importantly they need to understand the root motivating factors that allowed such thinking to exist and actually be deployed in plain view of the World. It brought many many topics up that the movie just began to touch on such as the sheer enormity of the engineering mechanics that become more and more complicated the further we delve into a single cell. We started discussing the parts of the cell and it's mystery as to how even an atom shouldn't technically exist due to negative and positive neurons existing in the same space... this should be impossible. They should cancel each other out... what holds them together to form an atom? Look up the 'atom smasher' on the internet to see what I mean. Researchers are desperately trying to discover the elusive puzzle piece that has been (funnily enough) the 'God Particle'.