All member reviews for Fantasia

Breathtaking animation feat -- with some creepy visuals.

Parent of a 1 year old Written byhelenek April 9, 2008

Scene with dinosaurs terrified ME!

My mother told me many years ago that this was my favorite movie when I was very young -- I watch it now and wonder when my son will be able to watch it. I felt the scene with T-Rex killing the Stegasaurus (sp?) to be very disturbing. I love the movie for the music, personally, but don't feel it's appropriate for kids until they're older.

Boring...

Some find this to be a masterpiece, I find it boring. All it is are orchestra songs strung together with animated scenes to go along with the beat. I took this out of the DVD player about half way through the movie.
Adult Written byDr.Pepper April 9, 2008

Must-See

A breathtaking movie that delighted me when I was young and will delight your kids too. A great way to introduce children to classical music. There is some topless women but it is in good taste.
Teen, 13 years old Written byhazerbaze March 29, 2012

Eh...

This movie is disturbing at some times. The scene with the dinosaurs is disgusting. After the T-Rex kills and eats the Stegosaurus, all the dinosaurs die of thirst. It makes me sick to watch them shrivel up and fall, to never get up again.
Kid, 12 years old January 2, 2012

SCARY (from what I saw)

Well, I didn't see the whole thing, but our music teacher showed us the night on a bear mountain scene. I was creeped out at all the demons and devils and skeletons and ghosts- In this scene, I remember animated pictures of naked women, which were pretty detailed. Like I said, I didn't see the whole thing (I saw 5 minutes of it), but what I did see scared me...........
Parent of a 7 and 14 year old Written bywavymouth October 5, 2009

good and thrilling too

i love this movie, except that when the dinosaurs die i get the most terrible feeling, like i'm sick.
Kid, 12 years old February 4, 2012

Scary at the end.

It's great, but remember to have the fast forward button ready when "Night on Bald Mountain" comes up. I wasn't able to watch it until I was eight. But the rest is very family friendly. Just keep in mind this film is meant for adults.
Parent of a 4 year old Written byGoopee January 13, 2011

Not for young kids

I remember this as the first movie I ever saw at a cinema. I was terrified. The wonderful music is too intense when paired with the animation. Anyone who works with music can explain in great detail. The movie came up in a discussion with audio engineers about the effect of music on emotions. I will not be getting this for my child but may get it for myself.
Kid, 4 years old November 11, 2011

Beautiful and classic movie

I adore this movie. Last Christmas I remembered the Nutcracker Suite and decided to show it to my girls. It's pretty easy to simply choose which of the vignettes are appropriate for your child. I waited a yr to show them the dinosaur one and they were fine with it because we had been reading about dinos so they were aware that carnivores ate herbivores etc. The nudity isn't an issue for me because I am teaching my kids that their bodies are beautiful, not shameful. The only issue I have with the centaurettes is their primping for male centaurs is a little icky. I love that it teaches kids about classical music. I love that there is no dialogue so my kids can use their imagination more. My kids did not know it was wine Bacchus was drinking, though I told them it was, they insisted it was juice! To this day they jump on their beds and say they are making juice. Love this classic!
Teen, 13 years old Written byIsaac T October 4, 2014

Scarier than the sequel.

This was pretty scary at first, but a few years later I wasn't so scared. The most scary parts are arguably a showdown between two dinosaurs and the final piece called "A Night On Bald Mountain." In that song, devils and ghosts ruled the world. And the waltz at the beginning might bore some kids.
Teen, 16 years old Written byqwer tyui October 27, 2013

fantasia 1940

Fantasia is a completely different approach to animation.disney went from comedy shorts to a whole new level,and set an example hard to follow. it is the pinnacle of hand made animations,and it shows how much potential the genere can have.it is the ultimate disney masterpiece.... but still it is not flawless.it is cheesy at times and boring at others,especially for our kids of our generation,(who watch twilight)most of us lack patience and have small attention spans.one may also feel that this movie is 'too much' to digest for common audience(bright psychodediac colours,fairies,dancing flowers,unicorns,flying horses dinosours,demons,and so much detail and imagination to every thing!i)in-short i think it is appropriate for school going kids and beyond,they might not be able to enjoy it.it is for people who have good and unique taste.this movie is not every body's cup of tea.yet it can help kids to enhance their imagination.in-fact this movie was rele-released in 1971(i guess)when the hippy thing was in swing,it was marketed in a way to attract people who experimented with drugs.when they watched the movie they said that it was better than an acid trip!what else is required?if you want to get high without you know it's detrimental effects,watch this movie!fantasia along with alice in wonderland has been accused of having drug references although i dont agree with it.LSD was first brought to america in 1949,and this movie was released in 1940,as far as alice in wonderland is concerned,we all know it is based on a book by lewis caroll,and the book was very trippy in first place.(lewis caroll suffered from migraines,he may had hallucinated during attacks!?.any way who cares what inspired this movie.it is a great piece of art period.
Teen, 14 years old Written byBestPicture1996 July 26, 2010

Wow, man

Really anyone over 7 CAN see this but I don't think they'd want to, it's more of an teen-adult thing that can understand how much work walt Disney and the orchestra and especially the artists put into this masterpiece. With that said....it's a really weird movie. Not traditional Disney fare, but sure to see anyways.

Mickey rules

the Mickey part always makes me smile
Teen, 13 years old Written byThedude57447434 September 2, 2013

My opinion

This movie is gorgeous the music comes off the page a must see for anyone who likes Disney movies
Teen, 16 years old Written bychinchillaboy26 December 7, 2012

Fantastic, but wait till the kids can appreciate it.

I saw Fantasia for the first time today in Music Theory class. It was absolutely stunning. The Sorcerer's Apprentice is always great (I've seen the clip many times) and the ballet with alligators and hippos had me splitting my sides with laughter. The mythology section is also really cool. However, I'm sixteen and a huge sucker for great music. As a young kid this would have bored the hell out of me, and even today I found myself zoning out in the first couple of pieces. So really the biggest issue is that young kids might get bored. Other issues include Bacchus, the god of wine, acting visibly drunk and bathing in wine; Centaurettes being largely topless; cherubim babies having no clothing at all; Chernabog's harpies having no clothing with visible nipples; and finally several scary scenes with dinosaurs and Chernabog.
Teen, 13 years old Written bysusieboo October 7, 2010

Great!

I love this film. Too bad the sequel is pure crap. Anyway, Chernabog is a little scary, but hey, your kids could use some tougher material sometimes.
Teen, 15 years old Written byPoison Ivey August 12, 2010

Not that good- Kid's WILL find this movie boring!

Three Cabeleros is better. This movie is only boring classical music. I recommend the live show, however.
Parent Written byPlague January 28, 2010

Fantasia

A stunning and riveting movie. A definate must see for the ENTIRE family. In my honest opinion, this movie is much greater than it's sequel for sure. The "Night on Bald Mountain" with Chernabog (or Satan himself), would pose to be scary for sensivite children. Other than that, this movie is a instant classic and will be for all time.
Kid, 7 years old November 28, 2009

its a good movie... but i like its sequel better.
Kid, 10 years old April 9, 2008

boring

this movie is so borring