All member reviews for Fantastic Mr. Fox

Offbeat family adventure may charm adults more than kids.

Parent of a 9 year old Written bydrmama November 29, 2009

Not a kid's movie

Our family, ages 9 to 89, all agreed that this is not a kid's movie. The one positive is that the stop motion animation is artistic and visually interesting. Otherwise, we all agreed (even our 9-year-old) that it had no appealing characters, no positive models, unnecessarily negative language (use of the word "cuss" in every other sentence to replace swearing just raises questions from younger kids), and too much violence. We found any redeeming message so buried underneath the negativity and violence that it was lost on younger kids. We do not recommend this movie.
Adult Written byJenPete June 29, 2010
Hated it! An adult-oriented film wrapped in child-tempting wrapper of stop-motion animation. Sure, it took a lot of work to make this film, but an Oscar? I sure expected more. So many variations of this story have been told in live action films, and I can't think of many that earn a Kid-friendly rating. The scene of the farmers blasting away with shotguns at Fox and his sidekick as absolutely not acceptable for the younger set. I'm super disappointed CSM has rated this acceptable for children ages 7 and up. PREVIEW MOVIES FOR YOURSELVES. Don't count on anyone else to do this for you. Not even CSM.
Parent Written byBlacksmith88 March 18, 2010

Not worth a tinker's "cuss".

I borrowed it. I won't be buying it. It's slow, it's totally rewritten, it's a rip-off. So it's got Clooney and Streep. Big deal. And what is it with Americans, that all the supposedly "good" guys have American accents and the villains get cod-British accents? Oh, pardon me, there's the hick hillbilly rat too - great stereotyping, eh? Not at all up to Roald Dahl's standard of writing. Don't waste your money.
Parent of a 5 year old Written bysarap November 25, 2009

Hated it!

What?!? Did we all see the same movie? Funny? No. Smart? No. Waste of time and money? Yes! Not one real laugh out loud moment. Just because you add the word cuss to replace the real cuss word can't really change the meaning. Even my 5yr old understood the intent. If smoking, drinking, cussing and killing are you and your kids "thing" this movie is for you, for the rest of you don't waste you $!
Teen, 14 years old Written byBestPicture1996 April 10, 2010

Easily one of the greatest animated movies

Quirky for me usually means just awkward situations involving hipsters. This movie was quirky, but the dialouge and situations were hysterical. I don't think I've ever laughed so hard at an animated movie since "Shrek." This is a cussin' great film for all to see, especially adults, and it stays true to the fantastic book of which it's based. Roald Dahl would be honored.
Parent of a 3, 5, and 11 year old Written byshemum November 6, 2009
I saw this with my 3 kids aged 3, 5 and 11. They are all familiar with the original Roald Dahl story (which this film diverges from significantly) and they all loved it, especially the 5yo. There is some moderate violence and peril (shooting, capture, rabid dog) and a scene where one (bad) character dies (crosses go in his eyes and he floats down the sewer)following a fight with Mr Fox which was quite uncomfortable for the youngest and prompted some questions. Some interesting stuff about parenting and family relationships (living up to parent's expectations, rivalry with cousin etc) which could prompt good conversations and which are happily resolved in the end. Some language and terminology which some may find inappropriate (eg Mrs Fox is referred to as a "town tart"). But overall a good family film which was enjoyable for the adults too.
Parent of a 7 and 10 year old Written byMattmchugh February 11, 2011

Kids will enjoy this, but it's not a kids' movie

First, regarding this film's appropriateness for kids: there's some violence and death, mean-spirited human characters, and a self-absorbed father who barely notices his own son. Those things -- while not excessive by any means -- might upset some sensitive young ones, but there's enough broad comedy and human warmth to engage most bright kids. However, though kids are welcome, this is absolutely a movie for grown-ups. The dialog is cracklingly brilliant throughout, and the voice performances -- recorded with the actors in the same room, rare for modern animation -- are pitch perfect. The wit is so pervasive and subtle that I found myself quietly giggling practically from credits to credits. Anyone familiar with Wes Anderson's other movies will recognize his touch in the eccentric family dynamics and front-and-center neuroses of every character. The stop-motion animation seems jerky and primitive at first, but as you watch, you start to realize how astoundingly vivid and detailed the sets and characters are. By then end, Mr Fox was as real to me as George Bailey or Charles Foster Kane... but a heck of lot more fun. No way around saying it: this is a FANTASTIC movie.
Parent of a 4 and 6 year old Written byLesliecritter March 29, 2010

Who is this for? How did I get here?

Odd movie... not sure who it is designed for. I thought it was interesting, but not terribly so. Love George Clooney... but couldnt take him seriously. Weirdly still, the previews of "date night" had the word a$$ and discussed "whacking off". Not exactly the full kid package.
Parent of a 7 year old Written byroeshanam February 13, 2015

Beware - Not Appropriate at ALL

So it's Friday night and I decide to rent Fantastic Mr. Fox to watch with my daughter for movie night. She's currently reading the book and we've listened to the book on tape several times - we love it! The movie itself is full of fillers (unnecessary scenes and story lines) and inappropriate language and behavior. I am greatly appalled at the use of "What the cuss??". While they may not say the actual horrible word, it's implication is just a dangerous (would not want my daughter walking around saying "What the cuss?"). The use of weapons, blatant robbery, marital disputes, etc. is greatly inappropriate for my daughter. After the first five minutes of watching the movie, she was put off. However, we continued to watch it - unfortunately the movie just made both of us cringe! I would not recommend this for any child or even for adults who are uncomfortable with violence and vulgar behavior...
Teen, 15 years old Written bystripesanddots May 10, 2011
At first I thought this movie was really odd, but while the end, while I still felt that way, I really liked it. I didn't necessarily like the ending for some reason, but it was really good. There is a lot of violence (the farmers are trying to kill the animals), though.
Parent of a 5, 8, and 11 year old Written bydawnieplus3 April 27, 2010

If you must see then watch it first and be prepared to talk about content...

Didn't care for it at all. The kids lost interest half way through so the "good message" at the end was lost. All they got was a smoking and stealing role model who found ways to make bad decisions look acceptable.
Kid, 11 years old April 20, 2010
fantastic mr fox has a good deal of action and smoking but in the end it has a good message about family and friends i loved it
Teen, 14 years old Written byThe movie fanatic June 12, 2012

Very Charming

Wes Anderson's Fantastic Mr. Fox is a beautiful, charming, and funny kid friendly film. Ronald Dahl's children's tale feels as if it has not just been brought to life but given a life of its own. The quirky tale and Mr. Anderson's offbeat style complement each other perfectly, which is what makes this film feel so natural. The animation (which is sep-motion) looks strange at first, but grows on you as you begin to love the adorable characters and the world they inhabit. Stop-motion animation was the perfect choice for this film. It allowed the animators to completely control the facial gestures on the animals, these facial gestures incorporate themselves into the humor by the way. Wes Anderson is a director that is high on detail so stop motion is perfect for him. Yes, some of the humor might go over the kids heads but they will still fall in love with the beautiful style of the film. A definite must see, a true family film that is really for the whole family.
Kid, 9 years old August 23, 2011

Fantastic Mr Fox is fantastic!!!

I liked this movie a lot it was very entertaining. SUPER GREAT!!!!! That being said, this could scare younger children. My 3 year old sister is scared by the rat and the farmers. My 6 year old sister think it is good, but give it two thumbs up. But a rat flirting in the wile having of a knife fight and latin names and burning pinecone a attack it is not for your 2 year old.
Teen, 13 years old Written byMovieGuy23 June 10, 2011

Fantastic Mr. Fox: Disguised black comedy

Fantastic Mr. Fox is such a slick animated film. Full of witty black humor, this is not some Pixar knock-off. This is an original creation. I guarantee there is nothing like this anywhere else. It will keep you laughing from start to finish. Note to parents: This is an ADULT movie, full of black humor and sly adult comedy. Even though there is not enough content in this to make it PG-13 or R, most of this humor will fly over your kids' heads.
Parent of a 2 and 4 year old Written byCMMOMMY April 9, 2010
My 4 1/2 year old son loves this movie and so do my husband and I. The craft of the stop animation is fantastic and the story is very entertaining. The movie has truly captured our imagination. This is a great movie to watch over and over with your child and discuss what the characters feel and why they make the choices that they do. It is about a family that sticks together, is imperfect, but learns from mistakes. I do not think the film says that it is ok to lie. Mr. Fox, and unfortunately his family and whole animal community, suffer the consequences of the poor choice he makes to return to stealing from farmers. It certainly shows that Mr. Fox regrets this error and attempts to resolve the situation. To me, that is a good lesson for children, that the choices you make not only affect you, but can affect others too. It celebrates differences and how we can find a unique talent in everyone to appreciate. Plus it is just a fun film to look at. The movie is exciting, but not scary. Relax, watch, and enjoy!
Kid, 8 years old July 8, 2014

Fantastic Mr. Fox review of the stars

Fantastic Mr. Fox has some mild language saying "cuss" probably meaning a bad word. It also has shooting, fire, knives and alchohol.
Parent Written byAnimation enjoyer August 10, 2013

Cursing substituted words

they deviate from the story dialogue adding human indiscretions with cursing substituted words. (No age recommended as parents own decision)
Teen, 14 years old Written byuhwhat February 1, 2012

One of my favorite movies....

Probably more enjoyable for older kids and adults, but a cute movie none the less.
Parent of a 10 year old Written bySandlot812 February 5, 2011

Quality movie that is fun for kids and adults

Great movie. Has a refreshing and different look and feel to the movie. Quality script and entertaining for adults as well.