Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Find entertainment that fits your kid's interests and your parenting style.

Go to For Your Family

Parent reviews for Fantastic Mr. Fox

Offbeat family adventure may charm adults more than kids.

Parent of a 3 and 10 year old Written byZomorgan October 13, 2014

Outstanding!

I joined this site,purely to defend this film! My little boy has watched it since he was two. It's beautifully crafted,with humour and love. Yes there's animals drinking wine with dinner,the baddies smoke, the husband and wife kiss and there is a hysterical replacing of all bad words with the word "cuss". It's honest, human and really fun to watch as a family because it works on different levels. My kids are now 4 and 10 and we still love it as much as when we first discovered it, Mr Dahl wouldn't have wanted it any other way! The characters are flawed, but they love each other and stick it out as family, what better message could a family film want?! Lighten up guys watch the cussing thing,it's beautiful!! P.s we even have the soundtrack in our car...

Parent of a 7 and 10 year old Written byMattmchugh February 11, 2011

Kids will enjoy this, but it's not a kids' movie

First, regarding this film's appropriateness for kids: there's some violence and death, mean-spirited human characters, and a self-absorbed father who barely notices his own son. Those things -- while not excessive by any means -- might upset some sensitive young ones, but there's enough broad comedy and human warmth to engage most bright kids. However, though kids are welcome, this is absolutely a movie for grown-ups. The dialog is cracklingly brilliant throughout, and the voice performances -- recorded with the actors in the same room, rare for modern animation -- are pitch perfect. The wit is so pervasive and subtle that I found myself quietly giggling practically from credits to credits. Anyone familiar with Wes Anderson's other movies will recognize his touch in the eccentric family dynamics and front-and-center neuroses of every character. The stop-motion animation seems jerky and primitive at first, but as you watch, you start to realize how astoundingly vivid and detailed the sets and characters are. By then end, Mr Fox was as real to me as George Bailey or Charles Foster Kane... but a heck of lot more fun. No way around saying it: this is a FANTASTIC movie.
Parent of a 8 and 11 year old Written byBella1612 September 11, 2010

Great story!!!!

Great movie!!! A little odd, but enjoyable for the whole family. We loved it! My kids read the book and really liked the movie.

Adult Written bydanny800 April 5, 2019

fantastic mr fox is not for kids

i think fantastic mr fox was a amazing movie but its not really for kids because its very vilonte the farmers try to kill mr fox with guns and switch blades mr fox gets his tail shot off mr fox kills a rat by electrocuting him and bean i seen smoking and drinks alcoholic cider and at the end goes crazy and tries to drown the main characters with that being said fantastic mr fox is for a slightly older aduience and i dont recommend it for anyone under the age of 13

Adult Written byJAV89 December 18, 2018

Parent Written byLaura G. March 24, 2018

Not for kids

Me Fox is a terrible role model. He lies to his wife, disregards her feelings and wishes, puts down and is mean to his son. The son in turn is rude and disrespectful to his father and mean to his cousin. My 8 and 5 year olds were asking me about all of this behavior, which I find much worse than nudity or cuss words. I would not recommend. Takes a fun book and turns it into an adult themed existential crisis movie. Blah.
Parent of a 10 and 12 year old Written byHendo H. U January 13, 2018

Awesome adaptation!

Too violent, scary, and complicated for younger kids.

Adult Written bygiannam1 December 27, 2017

Heckin' Great!!!!!!

It's the bomb diggity. There's some questionable behavior that may spark questions from a little one. But that's good!!! teach your children things, idiots... there's a beautiful message at the end. Watch it, enlighten yourself and your soul with this wonderful creative movie!!!

Adult Written byCatalex April 2, 2016

Awful

Violence, unnecessary "cussing", unnecessary alcohol and smoking. Wouldn't recommend. Nothing positive, death, mention of suicide mission, weapons, killing, burning people

Parent of a 7 year old Written byroeshanam February 13, 2015

Beware - Not Appropriate at ALL

So it's Friday night and I decide to rent Fantastic Mr. Fox to watch with my daughter for movie night. She's currently reading the book and we've listened to the book on tape several times - we love it! The movie itself is full of fillers (unnecessary scenes and story lines) and inappropriate language and behavior. I am greatly appalled at the use of "What the cuss??". While they may not say the actual horrible word, it's implication is just a dangerous (would not want my daughter walking around saying "What the cuss?"). The use of weapons, blatant robbery, marital disputes, etc. is greatly inappropriate for my daughter. After the first five minutes of watching the movie, she was put off. However, we continued to watch it - unfortunately the movie just made both of us cringe! I would not recommend this for any child or even for adults who are uncomfortable with violence and vulgar behavior...

Adult Written byAnimation enjoyer August 10, 2013

Cursing substituted words

they deviate from the story dialogue adding human indiscretions with cursing substituted words. (No age recommended as parents own decision)
Parent Written byAPAdam July 26, 2013

Top Notch

Skip the parts with the rat for younger kids but overall a great movie
Adult Written byJEDI micah March 30, 2012

SIMPLY FANTASTIC!!!

Everything about this movie is fantastic: The animation, voice-acting, plot, humor, and the fact that it's based on a children's book! Younger kids may not find this movie to be a little mature for them because of some adult humor, but people who are into stop-motion animation, and of course George Clooney, will like this movie! I can tell you that I did!

Parent Written byheather s February 17, 2012

Great Animation...Too Many Guns

A lovely story, very fun for adults but way too violent for young kids. My 4-year old is still talking about all the guns. She was scared and I felt bad for letting her watch it without a pre-screening.

Parent of a 3 and 7 year old Written byIshta March 13, 2011
Mr Fox's wife supports her husband and son, animals from different backgrounds learn to work together, and Kristofferson is a model child, but those are pretty much the only positive role models in the film. Mr Fox does NOT mend his ways, as he ends the film by finding a way for the group of animals to feed themselves by stealing from a grocery store, and the farmers and their security rat are extremely violent and very scary. There is doping (with sleeping powder), kidnapping, arson, and a host of other things that I would not expose my 7-year-old to. The humor in this film is very dry and very good - for teens and adults who will get it. I loved the references to other films. I liked the style of the film. It was very well written, and very well cast. But marketing this to elementary school-aged kids is a joke. It's inappropriate.

Parent Written byawesomeman123456 March 10, 2011

good but not great

good clay model movie but some violonce and instead of profanity what the cuss some kisses between a married couple

Parent of a 9 year old Written byfriendlytoanimals February 26, 2011

Fantastic movie, but not for little kids

Our family LOVES this movie. That said, it's not really a kids movie. A lot of the themes are quite adult, and there is a fairly creepy death scene. On the other hand, ultimately there is a lovely message of courage and acceptance, and some fabulous scenes. It is creative and unique and I can't say how relieving it is to see animation that doesn't look like pixar/disney.

Parent of a 10 year old Written bySandlot812 February 5, 2011

Quality movie that is fun for kids and adults

Great movie. Has a refreshing and different look and feel to the movie. Quality script and entertaining for adults as well.

Educational Value
Adult Written byangrypanda90 August 14, 2010

Classic

Honestly i disagree with the main review. This movie should be a one for violence two tops. I love this movie i thought it was hilarious.
Parent of a 2 year old Written bydulce14 July 22, 2010