Parent reviews for Fantastic Mr. Fox

Offbeat family adventure may charm adults more than kids.

Parent of a 3 and 10-year-old Written byZomorgan October 13, 2014

Outstanding!

I joined this site,purely to defend this film! My little boy has watched it since he was two. It's beautifully crafted,with humour and love. Yes there's animals drinking wine with dinner,the baddies smoke, the husband and wife kiss and there is a hysterical replacing of all bad words with the word "cuss". It's honest, human and really fun to watch as a family because it works on different levels. My kids are now 4 and 10 and we still love it as much as when we first discovered it, Mr Dahl wouldn't have wanted it any other way! The characters are flawed, but they love each other and stick it out as family, what better message could a family film want?! Lighten up guys watch the cussing thing,it's beautiful!! P.s we even have the soundtrack in our car...

Parent of a 7 and 10-year-old Written byMattmchugh February 11, 2011

Kids will enjoy this, but it's not a kids' movie

First, regarding this film's appropriateness for kids: there's some violence and death, mean-spirited human characters, and a self-absorbed father who barely notices his own son. Those things -- while not excessive by any means -- might upset some sensitive young ones, but there's enough broad comedy and human warmth to engage most bright kids. However, though kids are welcome, this is absolutely a movie for grown-ups. The dialog is cracklingly brilliant throughout, and the voice performances -- recorded with the actors in the same room, rare for modern animation -- are pitch perfect. The wit is so pervasive and subtle that I found myself quietly giggling practically from credits to credits. Anyone familiar with Wes Anderson's other movies will recognize his touch in the eccentric family dynamics and front-and-center neuroses of every character. The stop-motion animation seems jerky and primitive at first, but as you watch, you start to realize how astoundingly vivid and detailed the sets and characters are. By then end, Mr Fox was as real to me as George Bailey or Charles Foster Kane... but a heck of lot more fun. No way around saying it: this is a FANTASTIC movie.
Adult Written bydanny800 April 5, 2019

fantastic mr fox is not for kids

i think fantastic mr fox was a amazing movie but its not really for kids because its very vilonte the farmers try to kill mr fox with guns and switch blades mr fox gets his tail shot off mr fox kills a rat by electrocuting him and bean i seen smoking and drinks alcoholic cider and at the end goes crazy and tries to drown the main characters with that being said fantastic mr fox is for a slightly older aduience and i dont recommend it for anyone under the age of 13

Parent Written byLaura G. March 24, 2018

Not for kids

Me Fox is a terrible role model. He lies to his wife, disregards her feelings and wishes, puts down and is mean to his son. The son in turn is rude and disrespectful to his father and mean to his cousin. My 8 and 5 year olds were asking me about all of this behavior, which I find much worse than nudity or cuss words. I would not recommend. Takes a fun book and turns it into an adult themed existential crisis movie. Blah.
Parent of a 7-year-old Written byroeshanam February 13, 2015

Beware - Not Appropriate at ALL

So it's Friday night and I decide to rent Fantastic Mr. Fox to watch with my daughter for movie night. She's currently reading the book and we've listened to the book on tape several times - we love it! The movie itself is full of fillers (unnecessary scenes and story lines) and inappropriate language and behavior. I am greatly appalled at the use of "What the cuss??". While they may not say the actual horrible word, it's implication is just a dangerous (would not want my daughter walking around saying "What the cuss?"). The use of weapons, blatant robbery, marital disputes, etc. is greatly inappropriate for my daughter. After the first five minutes of watching the movie, she was put off. However, we continued to watch it - unfortunately the movie just made both of us cringe! I would not recommend this for any child or even for adults who are uncomfortable with violence and vulgar behavior...

Parent of a 8 and 11-year-old Written byBella1612 September 11, 2010

Great story!!!!

Great movie!!! A little odd, but enjoyable for the whole family. We loved it! My kids read the book and really liked the movie.

Adult Written byCatalex April 2, 2016

Awful

Violence, unnecessary "cussing", unnecessary alcohol and smoking.
Wouldn't recommend. Nothing positive, death, mention of suicide mission, weapons, killing, burning people

Adult Written byjulietaylormaid June 6, 2020

Glorifies all things negative

That was one of the biggest waste of times for my family! It glorified alcohol, smoking, cussing, stealing, lying, violence, bullying, bad marriage relationships, killing, guns, and breaking-and-entering. I wouldn’t recommend this for ANY age!

Adult Written byVohaul May 18, 2020

Great movie, but perhaps should be rated PG-13

It's great to see that sophisticated animation styles like stop-motion are still alive. However, this movie is not for kids. Lots of violence. Tobacco. Alcohol. Subjects that are targeted at adults (not sexual though). While this is a nice movie, I would recommend waiting until high school.

Adult Written byMarek10 May 17, 2020

So Good!

I don't like how parents are saying trash about it it is so funny i have been looking at the comments and this movie has no language.
Adult Written byMoneydog23 January 18, 2020
Adult Written byCarrieVandenheuvel January 17, 2020

Quirky, but fun!

I have a 3 and 5 year old and honestly we all found things we could enjoy! My husband and found the script clever and engaging, and my kids liked the action... there was some guns and blowing up of things but honestly nothing that was too scary for my kids... the fact that the medium was not too realistic was helpful. I’d say it just depends on your kid and how sensitive they are: if they’re freaked out by explosions and a little mild real life situations then maybe no, but if they have a grasp of real life they’d enjoy it and be entertained.
Adult Written bykearneyse October 24, 2019

Absolute Beauty

I like movies that don't glorify the main character. The father has his faults and neglects the trust of his wife. But I also like that his family still accepts him even through that fault. I get the lesson of never give up on the ones you love and help them through the problems they suffer. And you should never betray someone's trust in you because it will never lead to good. The characters seem real and relatable. My nephew (7) had no problems understanding these things. They know adult drinks are a thing and Disney movies have them too, they also know what "cuss" words are and not hearing a single one in this movie means they understand without hearing a real adult word.

Adult Written byKtm1 July 22, 2019

Book much better

Whilst this does have some entertaining parts, it diverts significantly from the book, is much more violent & has more adult themes

Adult Written byNicole D July 1, 2019

More for teens and adults

This movie is a classic. This movie is very funny and just a good plot. I would consider this to be more for older kids or teens and adults considering the story plot and jokes throughout the movie the little ones might not get. Nothing inappropriate about it just more amusing to the older audience
Adult Written byJAV89 December 18, 2018

Parent of a 10, 12, and 16-year-old Written byHendo H. U January 13, 2018

Awesome adaptation!

Too violent, scary, and complicated for younger kids.

Adult Written byAnimation enjoyer August 10, 2013

Cursing substituted words

they deviate from the story dialogue adding human indiscretions with cursing substituted words. (No age recommended as parents own decision)
Parent Written byAPAdam July 26, 2013

Top Notch

Skip the parts with the rat for younger kids but overall a great movie
Adult Written byJEDI micah March 30, 2012

SIMPLY FANTASTIC!!!

Everything about this movie is fantastic: The animation, voice-acting, plot, humor, and the fact that it's based on a children's book! Younger kids may not find this movie to be a little mature for them because of some adult humor, but people who are into stop-motion animation, and of course George Clooney, will like this movie! I can tell you that I did!