All member reviews for Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

Loopy, foul-mouthed drug comedy isn't meant for kids.

Teen, 15 years old Written by1upmushroom November 3, 2012

It's raunchy, insane, violent, ugly, and one of my favorite films period.

This film is for a specific kind of people. It's one of those films that will most likely disgust you then entertain you if you're not familiar with or a fan of Hunter S. Thompson. However I happen to be both and let me tell you. I LOVE THIS MOVIE! God, I freaking love this movie! It's an entire film of madness, violence drug use, the main characters can be complete jerks at times, the sets are intimidating, some of the sequences are completely unwatchable for some people, but for me Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas is my all time favorite movie. You see I like crazy movies like this, I like the kind of insanity this movie gives me it's just great! Johnny Depp and Benicio Del Toro are great as Raoul Duke and Dr. Gonzo (respectively) but of course my favorite character is Duke. Some of the biggest laughs for me come from the backgrounds or sometimes they come from minor elements. The hallucinations make this film funny but definitely in a "should I be laughing?" kind of way. Like I said, the movie is NOT for everyone, especially kids but then again I did see this movie when I was 14 so there you go. Reasons as to why this movie isn't for everyone mostly have to do with the fact that even though Duke Dr. Gonzo abuse almost every single drug known to man they always get away with it. They don't go to prison, they don't get in trouble, in fact they actually cause trouble throughout the entire film. Plus, some of the situations the main characters get into can be very unsettling and sometimes downright disturbing but if you have a strong stomach and a liking for the insane I'm sure you'll be able to sit through it, I know I sure did. My closing comments are this, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas is a great movie but is not for kids, and even some adults too. But for those who like crazy and wild movies with a mean edge then I definitely recommend this classic.
Teen, 14 years old Written byitsrainingfrogs July 14, 2014

Director Gilliam says teens understand his film best

In the commentary on the Criterion Collection edition of the film, director Terry Gilliam says that kids age 13-15 seem to get his film the best. The film is a surreal, funny, and thoughtful adaptation of Hunter S. Thompson's landmark book of the same name. The film follows Thompson, under the alias Raoul Duke, as he goes to Las Vegas with his attorney to write about a motorcycle race, and ends up going on various other misadventures. Anchored by two amazing lead performances by Johnny Depp and Benicio Del Toro, the great film also has a excellent 60s and 70s soundtrack and a hilarious lineup of cameos, from Tobey Maguire to Gary Busey. I'd also like to note that the film reminded me of the glory of filmmaking when I watched it. Sex: No sex or nudity. Occasional sexual references, including a scene of Duke describing his attorney sexually assaulting a young girl to him. Violence: Some comedic violence. Duke's attorney, Gonzo, occasionally threatens people with a gun and a knife. Intense scene in which Gonzo asks Duke to throw a radio into the bathtub. Language: Semi-frequent strong language. Substance Abuse: Duke has a cigarette in his mouth the entire film. Several other characters are seen smoking. Many characters drink alcohol. The two lead characters are almost constantly under the influence of drugs. Cocaine and acid are seen used onscreen. Several unknown drugs are used, including a fictitious drug invented for the film. The movie is filmed in a dizzying way to simulate the influence of the drugs the characters are using. Intensity: The movie is a comedy, so very few intense scenes. The bathtub scene is intense. An intense scene in which Duke tries a fictitious drug that causes him to hallucinate Gonzo is a demonic creature.
Adult Written byphilip.spatz May 2, 2014

If you lived through the 60s you'll know why to leave the kids behind for this one

While your daughter (or son) may be going through a Johnny Depp phase, as a parent you're going to want to make sure that this one stays unwatched until your kids are adults. The basis for this movie is two guys going on a road trip to Las Vegas (Sin city..need I say more?) and take as many drugs as possible while still managing to function. The moral of the story here is that watching this will expose your kids to the following: LSD, cannabis, unidentified uppers and downers, Mescaline, alcohol, and inhalants.
Parent Written byAlexxis1995 July 13, 2013

Outlandish entertainment for adults

Often too grotesque, outlandish and uncanny to involve the viewer emotionally, this is however hugely entertaining. The irony and the wit is razor-sharp, and will delight adults and older teens. There are a few reflections that hint at some depths behind the relentless debauchery, but that's pretty much all. Expect non-stop drug abuse and a vast array of substances. Moreover, the language is also very offensive and, while there is no nudity, expect crude sexual innuendo.
Adult Written bychristian2011 September 2, 2012

Movie ALL about drugs and it's side effects/consequences in a VERY explicit manner.

Fearing & Loathing in Las Vegas is a movie strictly meant for adults, and just because it's some sort of black comedy doesn't mean it's just a movie meant to be funny. No. This movie contains pervasive and extremely graphic drug use which you see people vomitting, having bizzare and frightening hallucinations, going into crazy rages upon others and killing them, etc. Language is another serious issue. It involves nearly non-stop use of the words f**k, sh*t, c**t, d**k, c**k, religious profanities, and very crude sexual dialogue and references said in an explicit manner. It may be rated R but I believe it should be at least NC-17. Children should NOT watch this because it will probably influence them into becoming a drug addict, but the most mature teenagers possible COULD watch this, but give them a serious warning about the movie's explicit content about drugs and the extreme abuse involved. I'm only trying to help families and their children understand that this movie has the potential to influence younger viewers into drugs, and that's a very deadly and serious issue.
Adult Written byhhm1992 September 1, 2012

Two changes to original review

This is a fantastic film adaptation of Hunter S. Thompson's classic novel. I believe the official review hits the nail on the head except for two parts: drug use and cigarette smoking. First, while the novel does in fact glorify the use of drugs, the movie, through the use of disturbing and surreal imagery, seems to illustrate the terrifying/unpredictable aspects of drug induced "trips," making them less appealing. Second, the original reviewer states that cigarettes are rarely smoked, but I would like to point out that there are few scenes in which Duke, Depp's character, is not smoking a cigarette.
Teen, 13 years old Written byLedZepFan98 May 6, 2012

All about drugs

This is a great film but no one under 15 should watch it. It is based on the book "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" by Hunter S. Thompson which is about Thompson's and his lawyer's (Oscar Zeta Acosta) journey to Las Vegas to find the american dream all while on drugs. There is Explicit sexual dialogue about Gonzo drugging and having sex with a young girl. (neither is shown, just talked about). Gonzo asks a woman indirectly if she is a prostitute and she spits at him. A photograph of a topless woman is seen. A hallucination is seen involving a dinosaur orgy; various reptiles are seen in sexual positions, many covered in blood. In another hallucination, Hunter/Raoul imagines Dr. Gonzo as some kind of beast. He has a set of breasts (they're really fake) on his back. Hunter/Raoul makes a quick, brief comment about them (This scene is quick). There is talk about rapists, who will use drugs if they don't get to rape someone. Also, they will ejaculate uncontrollably. Hunter/Raoul is then shown with, what looks like semen on his pants. Gonzo is tripping on acid in his bathtub, and wants Hunter/Raoul to throw a cassette player in the tub, electrocuting him to death (it doesnt happen). Some guys are shown beating another guy to a bloody pulp, probably... It's not shown well, but there is a glimpse of it. No blood is present though, it's just implied. Gonzo points a gun at Hunter/Raoul and he grabs a flyswatter and says "dont f--- with me" and flings the flyswatter at him. Later in the movie, Gonzo points a knife at him, he grabs a flyswatter, and he says the exact same line. Hunter imagines some people to be bloodied and bruised, also in another scene he imagines them to be fierce evil dragon creatures (they are fine, he is just high). Gonzo threatening with a knife is quite intense and at the beginning it looks like he has a wound on his throat. dead bat is shown very briefly. A little gory. Nearly constant R-Rated profanities, some religious exclamations and racist slurs are present too. The characters appear to be disoriented throughout the entire movie and suffer the effects of each drug including prologned sequences of fear, anger and spend most of the time in a hallucinary state. The beginning of the movie Hunter/Raoul opens a briefcase filled to the brim with many different drugs and he explains each and every one of them and they are all shown on camera. Hunter Thompson/Raoul Duke is always shown with a cigarette hanging from his mouth whether or not he is smoking it. Several scenes in a bar, and several characters drink throughout the movie. Gonzo uses so much drugs and drinks so much that he vomits more than 3 times through the movie. Hunter and Gonzo are shown drunk 2 or 3 different times in the movie. They are very disgruntled, when they are drunk. This is quite possible the movie with the most Alcohol, Drugs and Smoking abuse, EVER.
Teen, 13 years old Written bycerealkiller189 April 16, 2012

UHHHH NO!!

Don't even know why I watched this,seriously.This was just a waste of a time.The only reason why I watched this was because I didn't have anything to do seriously If you ask me to watch this I'll say no!This is one of the crappiest and most disturbing things ever!
Teen, 17 years old Written byoctober1985 March 13, 2010
The film has tons of drug use throughout, but this will most likely go over the heads of young kids. There is profanity and some sexual content as well but it's not TOO bad. It has a PG rating in Canada
Teen, 13 years old Written byalessde03 August 1, 2016

You know, FOR KIDS!

Such a heart-changing experience for young ages. Watched with my 2 month year old sister and she loved it! Don't give it a miss
Parent Written byMellowMike May 7, 2012

Great movie, but not for kids.

By far, this is one of my favorite Depp/ Del Torro films but it should not be viewed by children. I suggest that if you have children, that you take the time to watch this film and decide based on how you choose it appropriate to raise YOUR kids.
Parent Written byStepMomSterToo January 11, 2011

DRUG MOVIE

This movie glorifies drug use to the extreme. It's got paranoia, alcohol, freaked out stuff. I mean, if you watch this with your kids, you might as well hand them a joint while you're at it. Nothing in here for kids. Great movie, though, for the mature.