All member reviews for Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

Teen, 17 years old Written byoctober1985 March 13, 2010

The film has tons of drug use throughout, but this will most likely go over the heads of young kids. There is profanity and some sexual content as well but it's not TOO bad. It has a PG rating in Canada
Teen, 13 years old Written byLedZepFan98 May 6, 2012

All about drugs

This is a great film but no one under 15 should watch it. It is based on the book "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" by Hunter S. Thompson which is about Thompson's and his lawyer's (Oscar Zeta Acosta) journey to Las Vegas to find the american dream all while on drugs. There is Explicit sexual dialogue about Gonzo drugging and having sex with a young girl. (neither is shown, just talked about). Gonzo asks a woman indirectly if she is a prostitute and she spits at him. A photograph of a topless woman is seen. A hallucination is seen involving a dinosaur orgy; various reptiles are seen in sexual positions, many covered in blood. In another hallucination, Hunter/Raoul imagines Dr. Gonzo as some kind of beast. He has a set of breasts (they're really fake) on his back. Hunter/Raoul makes a quick, brief comment about them (This scene is quick). There is talk about rapists, who will use drugs if they don't get to rape someone. Also, they will ejaculate uncontrollably. Hunter/Raoul is then shown with, what looks like semen on his pants. Gonzo is tripping on acid in his bathtub, and wants Hunter/Raoul to throw a cassette player in the tub, electrocuting him to death (it doesnt happen). Some guys are shown beating another guy to a bloody pulp, probably... It's not shown well, but there is a glimpse of it. No blood is present though, it's just implied. Gonzo points a gun at Hunter/Raoul and he grabs a flyswatter and says "dont f--- with me" and flings the flyswatter at him. Later in the movie, Gonzo points a knife at him, he grabs a flyswatter, and he says the exact same line. Hunter imagines some people to be bloodied and bruised, also in another scene he imagines them to be fierce evil dragon creatures (they are fine, he is just high). Gonzo threatening with a knife is quite intense and at the beginning it looks like he has a wound on his throat. dead bat is shown very briefly. A little gory. Nearly constant R-Rated profanities, some religious exclamations and racist slurs are present too. The characters appear to be disoriented throughout the entire movie and suffer the effects of each drug including prologned sequences of fear, anger and spend most of the time in a hallucinary state. The beginning of the movie Hunter/Raoul opens a briefcase filled to the brim with many different drugs and he explains each and every one of them and they are all shown on camera. Hunter Thompson/Raoul Duke is always shown with a cigarette hanging from his mouth whether or not he is smoking it. Several scenes in a bar, and several characters drink throughout the movie. Gonzo uses so much drugs and drinks so much that he vomits more than 3 times through the movie. Hunter and Gonzo are shown drunk 2 or 3 different times in the movie. They are very disgruntled, when they are drunk. This is quite possible the movie with the most Alcohol, Drugs and Smoking abuse, EVER.
Teen, 13 years old Written bycerealkiller189 April 16, 2012

UHHHH NO!!

Don't even know why I watched this,seriously.This was just a waste of a time.The only reason why I watched this was because I didn't have anything to do seriously If you ask me to watch this I'll say no!This is one of the crappiest and most disturbing things ever!
Teen, 15 years old Written by1upmushroom November 3, 2012

It's raunchy, insane, violent, ugly, and one of my favorite films period.

This film is for a specific kind of people. It's one of those films that will most likely disgust you then entertain you if you're not familiar with or a fan of Hunter S. Thompson. However I happen to be both and let me tell you. I LOVE THIS MOVIE! God, I freaking love this movie! It's an entire film of madness, violence drug use, the main characters can be complete jerks at times, the sets are intimidating, some of the sequences are completely unwatchable for some people, but for me Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas is my all time favorite movie. You see I like crazy movies like this, I like the kind of insanity this movie gives me it's just great! Johnny Depp and Benicio Del Toro are great as Raoul Duke and Dr. Gonzo (respectively) but of course my favorite character is Duke. Some of the biggest laughs for me come from the backgrounds or sometimes they come from minor elements. The hallucinations make this film funny but definitely in a "should I be laughing?" kind of way. Like I said, the movie is NOT for everyone, especially kids but then again I did see this movie when I was 14 so there you go. Reasons as to why this movie isn't for everyone mostly have to do with the fact that even though Duke Dr. Gonzo abuse almost every single drug known to man they always get away with it. They don't go to prison, they don't get in trouble, in fact they actually cause trouble throughout the entire film. Plus, some of the situations the main characters get into can be very unsettling and sometimes downright disturbing but if you have a strong stomach and a liking for the insane I'm sure you'll be able to sit through it, I know I sure did. My closing comments are this, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas is a great movie but is not for kids, and even some adults too. But for those who like crazy and wild movies with a mean edge then I definitely recommend this classic.
Teen, 14 years old Written byitsrainingfrogs July 14, 2014

Director Gilliam says teens understand his film best

In the commentary on the Criterion Collection edition of the film, director Terry Gilliam says that kids age 13-15 seem to get his film the best. The film is a surreal, funny, and thoughtful adaptation of Hunter S. Thompson's landmark book of the same name. The film follows Thompson, under the alias Raoul Duke, as he goes to Las Vegas with his attorney to write about a motorcycle race, and ends up going on various other misadventures. Anchored by two amazing lead performances by Johnny Depp and Benicio Del Toro, the great film also has a excellent 60s and 70s soundtrack and a hilarious lineup of cameos, from Tobey Maguire to Gary Busey. I'd also like to note that the film reminded me of the glory of filmmaking when I watched it. Sex: No sex or nudity. Occasional sexual references, including a scene of Duke describing his attorney sexually assaulting a young girl to him. Violence: Some comedic violence. Duke's attorney, Gonzo, occasionally threatens people with a gun and a knife. Intense scene in which Gonzo asks Duke to throw a radio into the bathtub. Language: Semi-frequent strong language. Substance Abuse: Duke has a cigarette in his mouth the entire film. Several other characters are seen smoking. Many characters drink alcohol. The two lead characters are almost constantly under the influence of drugs. Cocaine and acid are seen used onscreen. Several unknown drugs are used, including a fictitious drug invented for the film. The movie is filmed in a dizzying way to simulate the influence of the drugs the characters are using. Intensity: The movie is a comedy, so very few intense scenes. The bathtub scene is intense. An intense scene in which Duke tries a fictitious drug that causes him to hallucinate Gonzo is a demonic creature.