All member reviews for FernGully: The Last Rainforest

Family favorite features strong environmental message.

Parent Written byOT mama February 9, 2012

Way too scary!

The "bad guy" is in the form of a shape shifting ghost that appears as a really scary skeleton several times. This movie had some really scary parts and my extremely brave 6 year old was terrified. I felt awful for showing it to my kids!
Adult Written bybkubasik December 29, 2009

My 4 year old was terrified during some of the scary parts. There is a scene where the fairy is shown nearly entering the blades of a sawmill. I had to turn this off. I felt really bad subjecting him to this movie.
Adult Written byHalleSmth December 4, 2011

I watched this movie when I was about 7 or 8 and it scarred me for life. The song that Batty sings disturbed me. The subject of animal testing should never be in a children's movie. It was very scary. It depressed me very much. Don't let your child watch this!
Parent of a 3 and 5 year old Written bykimmy_b November 20, 2010

Scariest G movie we've seen.... :(

The scary parts were too much for my 5 1/2 year old- she asked me to turn it off. Enough said!
Adult Written bykdh5370 April 9, 2008

Scary for younger children & doesn't make it's point!

The first half of the movie seemed to emphasize that humans are bad. While there were several "hints" that the rainforest was being cut down, that was never clear. It would have been much better had the writers stated clearly that the rainforests were being cut down and what we can do about it (recycle paper and cardboard, use hand dryers instead of paper towels, etc.). Kids miss the point and are left feeling helpless. Additionally, the evil spirit was too scary and could have been left out all together!
Kid, 7 years old April 8, 2012

Fern Gully good for second graders and up

I really liked Fern Gully when I saw it in my 2nd grade class. It has a tiny bit of violence. I would say no younger than 7 years old because there is a scary ghost in it but the problem gets resolved in a creative way. There is a lesson in the movie to learn that there's people who are trying to cut down the rainforest and trees and that's not okay.
Parent of a 2 and 3 year old Written byAllBoysButMom May 1, 2011

Worth getting through the scary beginning to get to the good stuff

The beginning scene was a little scary for my almost 4 year old, but once we made it through the beginning, he really loved it, and I really loved the chance to a chance to talk about the importance of nature with him. There are references that are outdated that may confuse older children-- like a walkman and "acid rain."
Kid, 12 years old April 26, 2011

Educational fairy filled Disney classic

Fantastic Disney adventure contains one or two midly scary moments.
Adult Written bynduns January 12, 2011

A good, underappreciated film

This is a very good and very well-animated film with some descent musical numbers and some funny moments. The story is also very good. It can get silly at times but, hey, it's a family film. Here is my biggest gripe: This film doesn't do a good job emphasizing its message. It hints at the destruction of the rain forest but never really makes it clear but what's more is that it doesn't tell us how we can save the rainforest. Everything is solved with magic. The humans do nothing about it and that gets to me.
Parent of a 4 and 8 year old Written byskittlestarz19 September 14, 2009

AWESOME MOVIE!!!

This is an all time favorite in my household. Even my husband and I enjoyed it.
Kid, 12 years old October 13, 2014

OK

The film's OK. There's some good messages that leave you feeling terrible every time you see a plank of wood. The characters are kind of annoying. The final scene, when the oil becomes a giant zombie-skeleton man-eating monster could be frightening to younger kids.
Kid, 12 years old April 5, 2013

Magically wonderful!

Great animation, great music, great characters, and a great way to get across the message makes FernGully a great movie for kids.
Teen, 14 years old Written byJadenp March 3, 2011

Suggested MPAA Rating: PG for sensuality, violence, and scary scenes. Now that I think about this movie... this movie is freakin' creepy! just plain WEIRD!
Adult Written bycallofduty5 May 3, 2010

Yea... i watched this movie when i was young :3 i loved batty and all the charachters it was so amazing that i just found out for several years ive been searching my highlights of my child hood and i seriously loved this film im 18 and i still watched this :D
Kid, 7 years old April 9, 2008

Good message for everyone

My 6-year-old son loved this movie, even when he was 4. The villain is indeed quite creepy, but making oil the villain was quite imaginative (good discussion topic). One message was clear as crystal to me and my son--the rain forests are being cut for human convenience and use, without a care for the forest or its inhabitants. The rest of the message was clear as well, a group of different "people" can work together to stop the damage; and a previously uncaring young man learns that he can be a key to change when he returns to his normal size. The bat character grinds in the message that humans can be heartless and evil, but I don't think my son made the connection with lab testing. If you talk with your kids as or after they see this movie, you can help them understand the issues. This is a great movie that will stimulate a lot of discussion--don't let your kids watch movies in a vacuum.
Kid, 12 years old January 15, 2015

Great Movie with some themes young kids won't get

I love this movie and believe that it is extremely underrated. The message of protecting our rain forests is very clear but some younger kids might not get this message and just see a fun film. However, the villain of the movie, a smoke and oil monster names Hexxus, can be quite scary. I know that sounds a little crazy but I saw this movie when I was maybe five and it terrified me. Tim Curry's voice acting is outstanding.
Parent Written byMargert-jerry December 28, 2014

I thought the movie had a good message, but it was definitely on the scary side. The "toxic love" song, and the first song the sad bat sang would probably be very scary for a young child. Other then the scariness I didn't dislike it, but my roommate said he really hates it. I'm not sure why, but he's pretty passionate about how much he dislikes it. On the other hand another friend of mine seems to love it, and makes me and my roommate watch it with him on occasion despite being an adult. So I guess it just depends on who's watching it, I'm sure for most childern it would be good, as long as they are not scared very easily. the ending part was pretty intense. There was also some romantic parts but not really bad or anything.
Kid, 12 years old December 11, 2014

Family film delivers positive messages with a frightening threat

when I was younger I was scared of this movie, especially the scene where the smoke devil (Hexxus) emerges from the tree which was cut down and many frightening scenes that are way too intense for younger kids are in this film. I now love this movie. 8 and over.