All member reviews for FernGully: The Last Rainforest

Kid, 12 years old April 26, 2011

Educational fairy filled Disney classic

Fantastic Disney adventure contains one or two midly scary moments.
Kid, 7 years old April 8, 2012

Fern Gully good for second graders and up

I really liked Fern Gully when I saw it in my 2nd grade class. It has a tiny bit of violence. I would say no younger than 7 years old because there is a scary ghost in it but the problem gets resolved in a creative way. There is a lesson in the movie to learn that there's people who are trying to cut down the rainforest and trees and that's not okay.
Kid, 12 years old April 5, 2013

Magically wonderful!

Great animation, great music, great characters, and a great way to get across the message makes FernGully a great movie for kids.
Teen, 14 years old Written byJadenp March 3, 2011

Suggested MPAA Rating: PG for sensuality, violence, and scary scenes. Now that I think about this movie... this movie is freakin' creepy! just plain WEIRD!
Kid, 7 years old April 9, 2008

Good message for everyone

My 6-year-old son loved this movie, even when he was 4. The villain is indeed quite creepy, but making oil the villain was quite imaginative (good discussion topic). One message was clear as crystal to me and my son--the rain forests are being cut for human convenience and use, without a care for the forest or its inhabitants. The rest of the message was clear as well, a group of different "people" can work together to stop the damage; and a previously uncaring young man learns that he can be a key to change when he returns to his normal size. The bat character grinds in the message that humans can be heartless and evil, but I don't think my son made the connection with lab testing. If you talk with your kids as or after they see this movie, you can help them understand the issues. This is a great movie that will stimulate a lot of discussion--don't let your kids watch movies in a vacuum.
Kid, 12 years old January 15, 2015

Great Movie with some themes young kids won't get

I love this movie and believe that it is extremely underrated. The message of protecting our rain forests is very clear but some younger kids might not get this message and just see a fun film. However, the villain of the movie, a smoke and oil monster names Hexxus, can be quite scary. I know that sounds a little crazy but I saw this movie when I was maybe five and it terrified me. Tim Curry's voice acting is outstanding.
Kid, 12 years old December 11, 2014

Family film delivers positive messages with a frightening threat

when I was younger I was scared of this movie, especially the scene where the smoke devil (Hexxus) emerges from the tree which was cut down and many frightening scenes that are way too intense for younger kids are in this film. I now love this movie. 8 and over.
Kid, 12 years old October 13, 2014

OK

The film's OK. There's some good messages that leave you feeling terrible every time you see a plank of wood. The characters are kind of annoying. The final scene, when the oil becomes a giant zombie-skeleton man-eating monster could be frightening to younger kids.