All member reviews for Fiddler on the Roof

Epic musical story of Jews facing religious persecution.

Teen, 15 years old Written byCSM Screen Name... April 9, 2008

Best Musical of All Time

Absolutely the best musical ever written! The songs are unbelievable, the messages and morals are inspiring and thought-provovking, and there's even a touch of humor. An instant classic.
Adult Written bywhateverfloats September 14, 2009
Teen, 15 years old Written byWayward Girl September 6, 2012

GREAT film

This is such a powerful and amazing movie. It rocks. It has many inspiring messages in it, it has catchy songs, and it's even kind of funny. It's great. Just great. You can watch it, no problem, from the day you are born, however I wouldn't recommend it. Kids below at least the age of 10 will get bored and be confused the entire time. Wait until they mature and can fully appreciate it.
Kid, 10 years old July 19, 2010

A Must-see for ages 9+!

This is a funny, joyful musical about a family of Jews who have 5 daughters 3 are old enough to get married. There is lots of traditional dancing, there is a part were the father gets drunk but it's not to,to bad. There are also some parts were the Russians invade the city and the Jews are forced to leave. Children under 8 may not understand it or may get scared. There is NO suffering or gruesome parts were you have to close your eyes. There is a lot of humor, dancing and there are tons of songs.
Educator and Parent Written byCommonSenseChristian December 31, 2012

Climb on Up--Just Watch for some Slippery Shingles

Another gem of musical film, "Fiddler" is my second favorite. Tevye's struggle to balance tradition with wanting to let their daughters follow their hearts is a good topic for family discussion, as are the issues raised by the deep faith, and treatment of, the Jews. (This is notable in part because one character respects his Jewish neighbors, yet is pressured into persecuting them). Again, the song and dance numbers will bring you great delight, and the overarching message of faith and family in the face of adversity will, too. I recommend this for older children only, for several reasons. Length is an issue; know who is and isn't mature enough to sit through it. Moreover, younger kids may be confused at the social issues and traditions raised, and frightened by some scenes. (These include the violence at Tzeitel's wedding, a brief scene of revolutionaries being arrested, and the scary-for-youngsters Fruma Sarah scene). Also, parents will need to discuss Tevye's reaction to Chava's interfaith marriage. Even if your personal faith doesn't condone marriage outside its confines, please stress to young viewers that disowning a child for this or any reason--and moreover, in effect, saying that child is dead, is not acceptable. You may also need to discuss the slur "Christ-killers" with some kids. One scene features drinking and should be pointed out as negative as well. With this in mind, enjoy, and la chaim.
Parent of a 11 and 15 year old Written byGypsy101 December 20, 2012

Discretion advised but a wonderful film

I have been watching this film for as long as I can remember, and I'm 38 now. As a child, all I really remember are the songs, which are catchy and very enjoyable. Now I'm older I of course understand the political messages, the religious intolerance and the various other messages. Living in the 21st century it's hard to imagine it being a big deal to choose ones own husband, or to marry someone of another faith, but I feel it's important to educate children on the past, present and future. Younger children won't understand much but will appreciate the songs and music. Older children can join discussions about the topics listed in the main review. Some drinking, mainly in celebration, and implied violence rather than actual.
Adult Written bytommysportsgirl April 9, 2008

simply fantastic

The best musical movie ever made!! The soundtrack is amazing!
Kid, 11 years old May 2, 2013

best movie ever!

this is a great movie but little ones might get a little bored.
Teen, 16 years old Written bymoviemogul April 9, 2008

Classic movie-making at its peak

Kid, 10 years old April 9, 2008

A touching, wonderful movie!

This movie is touching at times, joyful at others, and even sometimes sad. It's a wonderful movie, that you can't stop watching. Alchohol and violence are a small issue, but besides that this is a must-see movie.

GREAT MOVIE!!!!!!

This movie shows Jewish life and family. It shows how family goes beyond tradition. It has a lot of drinking and some violence from the Russians, and is very sad. It shows how matchmakers choose daughters to some random man, and how they only want who they love. I loved this movie. Under 8 might not know what's going on.
Teen, 15 years old Written byhayal12 July 24, 2016

Intimidating but enjoyable musical

This film is largely entertaining mainly because of the memorable and catchy tunes, although its run time may not do much to endear it to some viewers. Mature themes are dealt with here, such as Antisemitism, devotion to one's religion and, to a certain extent, Communism. Don't get me wrong: the film deals equally with universal themes such as community, friendship and first loves. There is also character depth here: the central character of Tevye is depicted as both warm and hearty and stubborn, suspicious and desperate to preserve tradition. But if you are a fan of musicals and haven't seen this one, this is not to be missed,
Teen, 15 years old Written byPAYSTCHR July 19, 2016

A Powerful Musical That Still Makes Us Cry

Dear Young Men out there, fun fact, it is okay to cry in movies. You don't need to worry about it. Anyways, back to my review. Fiddler on the Roof is probably one of the best films that I have seen. Simple, Powerful, Emotional, this movie truly delivers all the goods. With tear-jerking, uplifting, and amazing songs, this film is one of the best musical films ever. Tevye is an amazing role model, willing to sacrifice so willing to sacrifice a lot. There are some emotional scenes involving religious persecution, that should make even the most experienced film lovers depressed. In the end, the film teaches solid messages about family, love, tradition, love, friendship, and hope. A standing ovation goes to Fiddler on the Roof.
Adult Written byLowe's man May 27, 2016

deep with many messages

While I'd be cautious about showing this movie to anyone under age 9, the songs can be listened to by kids of any age. (If you can find the songs on vinyl, cassette or cd you should make the purchase!) Once children get to be about 9 they'll understand the concepts of things like arranged marriages. Many people think that this movie, and the stage play upon which it is based, is all about tradition. Yes and no. It is, but it's also about giving up traditions. More specifically, the message is all about deciding which traditions to keep and which ones to give up. Traditions are good in and of themselves, as they provide a sense of security, as well as belonging and identity. But traditions can also be stifling if gone overboard, as doing so can sometimes close us off to new and good ideas. That is the message that this movie portrays- balance. When Tevye learned that his daughters were marrying for love he was dead set against it at first but eventually came to terms with the notion that they were right. Today we all marry for love (or should marry for love), and to have it any other way is laughable, but that's the way things were in certain parts of the world in 1905. Moreover, while gender roles were strict and clearly defined, women were more liberated here than it would appear on the surface. Take the dream sequence where Lazer Wolf's first wife, Fruma Sara, came back from the dead. She felt that Zitel's feelings were important, a view not always considered in 1905. While the second half has a much darker tone than the jubilant first half, the second half makes us feel for the characters all the more. Moreover, while this movie is overtly religious, everyone, religious or not, can identify with it and enjoy it. This is especially interesting to those who'd like to know about what parts of Russia used to be like over 100 years ago. I'd highly recommend this movie, as well as a stage production.
Teen, 14 years old Written byethanct86 January 3, 2016

"Fiddler" brings the Jews back into an accepted light.

“Here in Anatevka, we have traditions for everything: how to sleep, how to eat, how to work, how to wear clothes. It's a tradition, and because of our traditions, every one of us knows who he is and what God expects him to do” says Tevye (Topol), the Jewish village milkman in pre-revolutionary Russia. He believed that they were still God’s chosen people, as God said in Exodus 19:5b (KJV), “…ye shall be a peculiar treasure unto me above all people.” A “tradition” purist, he, prejudiced against the foreign Russians as they intermingle with them in Anatevka, wishes to marry out his three older daughters. “But would it be heresy on my part to suggest that "Fiddler" isn't much as a musical, and that director Norman Jewison has made as good a film as can be made from a story that is quite simply boring?” asks critic Roger Ebert. As much as I respect him, I disagree with him here. The story is not about marrying out his three daughters, but instead about Tevye’s controversial decisions in those marriages that alter the Jewish life in their village. In the end, the Russians drive out these Jews in a pogrom; it is not a key point of the plot, but an indirect effect of the generations-long Jew discrimination. The truth that it teaches doesn’t lie in the history, but perhaps in the way Tevye impacted Anatevka’s history. Faithful to the Jewish traditions, Fiddler is an accurate portrayal of Jews that can both entertain and educate without stark preaching. Perhaps the greatest openly-Jewish/Christian movie made by mainstream Hollywood, it deals with the various differences in the peoples and the ignorance of Tevye of the outside world. But Fiddler doesn’t preach; it presents the message throughout the entire film’s two hours and fifty-nine minutes. The “teachable” moments don’t come in one cheap, blink-and-you-miss-it line, but instead through Jewison’s smooth storytelling and direction that sinks the message comfortably in. This gradual separation from tradition comes in the form of his daughters’ husbands. First, instead of accepting the village matchmaker’s choice of husbands, they love and know their selected mates, an alien concept to Tevye. Second, these desired husbands’ ideas and positions push the borders of tradition one at a time, with the eldest marrying a tailor in the village, the second a Revolutionist and the third, a goy. Tevye, quickly though a bit reluctantly accepts the tailor, he is skeptical but consents to the Revolutionist, but he altogether rejects the goy. He feels the change happening. He can’t avoid it, yet, at the same time, he still can’t fully accept it. Based on the hit, still on-going Broadway musical, Fiddler won three Academy Awards for sound, the clever use of cinematography and John William’s adaption of the score. The witty dialogue, catchy songs and the wise-guy Tevye brings the Jews back into an accepted light.
Kid, 9 years old September 15, 2013

this is good!!!!!!!!

A good film to watch with your family
Parent of a 10 year old Written byJirah96 August 21, 2010

Where can I download it?

I Like it but... the download .. where can I download it???
Kid, 12 years old January 12, 2010

rated e for every one

Tevy is a old fashioned man in a changing world. good music.
Teen, 14 years old Written bylil panda bear January 6, 2010

omg!!!!!

i love this movie!!!!!!!!
Teen, 15 years old Written byDVS Cable Polenin April 9, 2008

good movie this is

This movie is pretty good i thought. its suitable for all ages however a young kid might find it a little boring. its long but enjoyable. the music is great