All member reviews for Fiddler on the Roof

Epic musical story of Jews facing religious persecution.

Teen, 15 years old Written byCSM Screen Name... April 9, 2008

Best Musical of All Time

Absolutely the best musical ever written! The songs are unbelievable, the messages and morals are inspiring and thought-provovking, and there's even a touch of humor. An instant classic.
Teen, 15 years old Written byWayward Girl September 6, 2012

GREAT film

This is such a powerful and amazing movie. It rocks. It has many inspiring messages in it, it has catchy songs, and it's even kind of funny. It's great. Just great. You can watch it, no problem, from the day you are born, however I wouldn't recommend it. Kids below at least the age of 10 will get bored and be confused the entire time. Wait until they mature and can fully appreciate it.
Kid, 10 years old July 19, 2010

A Must-see for ages 9+!

This is a funny, joyful musical about a family of Jews who have 5 daughters 3 are old enough to get married. There is lots of traditional dancing, there is a part were the father gets drunk but it's not to,to bad. There are also some parts were the Russians invade the city and the Jews are forced to leave. Children under 8 may not understand it or may get scared. There is NO suffering or gruesome parts were you have to close your eyes. There is a lot of humor, dancing and there are tons of songs.
Adult Written bywhateverfloats September 14, 2009

Adult Written bytommysportsgirl April 9, 2008

simply fantastic

The best musical movie ever made!! The soundtrack is amazing!
Kid, 9 years old September 15, 2013

this is good!!!!!!!!

A good film to watch with your family
Kid, 11 years old May 2, 2013

best movie ever!

this is a great movie but little ones might get a little bored.
Educator and Parent Written byCommonSenseChristian December 31, 2012

Climb on Up--Just Watch for some Slippery Shingles

Another gem of musical film, "Fiddler" is my second favorite. Tevye's struggle to balance tradition with wanting to let their daughters follow their hearts is a good topic for family discussion, as are the issues raised by the deep faith, and treatment of, the Jews. (This is notable in part because one character respects his Jewish neighbors, yet is pressured into persecuting them). Again, the song and dance numbers will bring you great delight, and the overarching message of faith and family in the face of adversity will, too. I recommend this for older children only, for several reasons. Length is an issue; know who is and isn't mature enough to sit through it. Moreover, younger kids may be confused at the social issues and traditions raised, and frightened by some scenes. (These include the violence at Tzeitel's wedding, a brief scene of revolutionaries being arrested, and the scary-for-youngsters Fruma Sarah scene). Also, parents will need to discuss Tevye's reaction to Chava's interfaith marriage. Even if your personal faith doesn't condone marriage outside its confines, please stress to young viewers that disowning a child for this or any reason--and moreover, in effect, saying that child is dead, is not acceptable. You may also need to discuss the slur "Christ-killers" with some kids. One scene features drinking and should be pointed out as negative as well. With this in mind, enjoy, and la chaim.
Parent of a 11 and 15 year old Written byGypsy101 December 20, 2012

Discretion advised but a wonderful film

I have been watching this film for as long as I can remember, and I'm 38 now. As a child, all I really remember are the songs, which are catchy and very enjoyable. Now I'm older I of course understand the political messages, the religious intolerance and the various other messages. Living in the 21st century it's hard to imagine it being a big deal to choose ones own husband, or to marry someone of another faith, but I feel it's important to educate children on the past, present and future. Younger children won't understand much but will appreciate the songs and music. Older children can join discussions about the topics listed in the main review. Some drinking, mainly in celebration, and implied violence rather than actual.
Parent of a 10 year old Written byJirah96 August 21, 2010

Where can I download it?

I Like it but... the download .. where can I download it???
Kid, 12 years old January 12, 2010

rated e for every one

Tevy is a old fashioned man in a changing world. good music.
Teen, 14 years old Written bylil panda bear January 6, 2010

omg!!!!!

i love this movie!!!!!!!!
Teen, 16 years old Written bymoviemogul April 9, 2008

Classic movie-making at its peak

Kid, 10 years old April 9, 2008

A touching, wonderful movie!

This movie is touching at times, joyful at others, and even sometimes sad. It's a wonderful movie, that you can't stop watching. Alchohol and violence are a small issue, but besides that this is a must-see movie.
Teen, 15 years old Written byDVS Cable Polenin April 9, 2008

good movie this is

This movie is pretty good i thought. its suitable for all ages however a young kid might find it a little boring. its long but enjoyable. the music is great

GREAT MOVIE!!!!!!

This movie shows Jewish life and family. It shows how family goes beyond tradition. It has a lot of drinking and some violence from the Russians, and is very sad. It shows how matchmakers choose daughters to some random man, and how they only want who they love. I loved this movie. Under 8 might not know what's going on.