All parent member reviews for Finding Nemo

Adult Written bybobtedeschi April 9, 2008

My 4-year old was traumatized

Immediately beneath the "Adult Reviews" box for Finding Nemo is the quote "recommended for: Ages 2 and up." I either didn't see the "common sense notes" on Nemo or it hadn't yet been posted. In either case, based on the "ages 2 and up" recommendation, and the glowing reviews from parents on this site, I brought my little girl on Saturday to her first movie-theater feature. I wish I hadn't. The movie spends the first 15 minutes or so investing the audience in the two main characters, then spends the next hour putting these characters' lives in peril, in a series of near-violent deaths accentuated by all the soundtrack and sound-effect pyrotechnics you'd expect. There was a huge shark with hundreds of teeth gnashing at the protagonist for a few minutes straight, a freakish looking fish with spiked teeth gnashing at the protagonist for a few minutes, the other protagonist nearly getting shredded in a fish tank filter, the first protagonist and his friend nearly dying in an ever-tightening minefield of jellyfish -- the list goes on and on. I expected a joyful experience where I didn't have to actively parent for a couple of hours. I was dead wrong. Note: my child's media consumption is mostly limited to more feel-good types of shows like Pooh, Mr. Rogers, Clifford, etc., but she is not a shrinking violet.
Parent of a 2 and 4 year old Written bylaribrook June 9, 2010

Great, but need to skip scary parts

We love this movie for my preschool age kids, but we have to skip a good 4-5 large scenes. This makes it a little hard for them to follow the storyline. There are just too many scary parts in this movie for young kids to watch the whole movie. However, the animation is colorful and amazing in most spots. The main characters are cute and have good personalities. Nothing annoying, either!
Parent of a 6, 12, 14, 16, and 17 year old Written byshinimai December 4, 2012

I can't trust Disney anymore

I can't believe disney did this.
Parent Written byhools June 16, 2010
Our four-year-old only made it through the first few minutes, and that is after we skipped the beginning where Nemo's mom and family (except Dad) meet a violent end. This, like most kids movies, is much too intense and scary for sensitive preschoolers.
Parent of a 2 year old Written byaniO March 17, 2011
I love this movie. The scariest scene with mom & eggs being eaten is in chapter 1 on the dvd so I usually skip it and begin the movie with Nemo and Marlin leaving for the first day of school. That cuts down on the scary and the slightly awkward intro is soon forgotten.
Parent Written byKejoli April 21, 2010
I've had this one for a while waiting until my 4.5yo was old enough to watch. Based on the review here being suitable for 4+ (and my opinion that the age ratings on this site are often conservative), she watched it today. This is one time I think the reviewers here got it wrong. It was frequently too scary for her and I'm not sure that she actually enjoyed the experience as a result. This from a child who usually wants to watch scary bits.
Adult Written byinthelittletree July 3, 2014

hey turds

very violent mom is brutally killed son almost dies do not watch
Parent of a 12 and 12 year old Written byResponibleParentOf2 September 14, 2012

Sharks are too scary for kids below high school age.

See top. Also, ResponsablePArentOf6, I'm flattered, but no, I'm already happily married. I do love your parenting skills though. However, I'm slightly concerned, you let your kids watch Happy Tree Friends? That's entertainment and not educational at all!
Parent of a 5 year old Written byninjai April 27, 2011

Perfect for all ages

We love it specially on the part where the shark says, " Fish are friends not food." This also sends a message to everyone that this animals also has feelings and they are also a person inside a tiny body.
Adult Written bytreestar April 9, 2008

This is an immensely scary movie -- beware!

There are a lot of great things to say about this movie -- but after seeing it, my 9-yr old son and 12 yr-old media savvy daughter refused to go into our pool in the daytime, let alone on a trip to the beach!! They each told me during the movie how scary it is. The good news is that we care about Nemo and his dad very much, and their emotions are conveyed very effectively. The bad news is that the numerous times they are in grave danger, all the big teeth attacking or threatening them relentlessly, their heartbreaking losses just add up to a very scary movie. We adore Dory (she salvaged the movie for us) and laughed out loud many times, but when we left the movie, neither kid even wanted to RENT the movie when it comes out, showing just how un-kid-friendly it ultimately was.
Parent Written byparentof111111111111 March 15, 2014

THIS IS DISGUSTING

Parent Written byMarionandHoward July 29, 2013

Toddlers watching a movie? Really?

No child under 5 needs to be sitting in front of a movie in the first place. My kids didn't watch movies until at least 5 yrs. so don't give it a bad review just because your preschooler or toddler appeared scared. It is is funny, sweet movie.
Parent Written byHUGOMANHD October 31, 2015

My daughte Has Nightmares...

My daughter crapped her pants And screamed When she saw this... I am outraged?
Adult Written byWhirlmeister August 7, 2015

Great Film, Traumatising opening act.

A beautiful film about family, trust and the need to let children go when they're ready, many of the messages here are aimed squarely at adults. However it's also a great action adventure. I'm a little concerned by the Age 5+ recommendation. The opening scene where Nemo's mother is killed by the Barracuda would traumatise most 4 or 5 year olds. Having said that the rest of the film is probably great for this age range. Fast forward past the opening and make sure you watch it with them because there are one other scary moments (but nothing nearly as bad as the opening)
Adult Written byhelsingmusique March 7, 2015

Finding Nemo

This could potentially traumatize your small kids (6 and under): BEWARE! There are potentially frightening scenes in this movie, from my experience with other movies that have traumatized children, do not show this to anyone too small, they may cry and/ or have nightmares. This next bit also contains spoilers from the film, be warned again. Marvin, the father, begins the movie by losing his wife and all but one of their unborn children to a hungry fish, one of the saddest scenes in the film and could possibly be the beginning of Bambi level of traumatizing. Then Nemo, the son, gets kidnapped, by a diver from a boat or as the kids called it "The Butt". Marvin then goes off to look for his son and Dory eventually joins him, they join a meeting for sharks calling fish "Friends not food", one of them loses control almost killing Marvin and Dory. Then Marvin and Dory nearly get killed by jelly fish as well. Meanwhile Nemo, he was put into a fish tank with fish mainly from pet shops and one other from the ocean, they try to muck up the filter in the tank to try and escape in bags, that nearly gets Nemo killed the first time. Then there is Darla, who is known for killing fish by shaking the bag too hard, Nemo plays dead, Marvin believes his son is dead, Nemo finally gets free, and finds his dad. Dory gets captured in a net and Nemo goes to help, but him and Dory almost die. There's a lot of near death situations in this movie. I know it's Pixar, but still. I'm not saying it's a bad movie for kids, it's a fantastic movie, just be warned if your kid is too young this is not the best movie you could show them. Good for people around six and up, it has great role models and great messages.
Adult Written byEZL1414 December 6, 2014

My favorite movie!

The thing you should know about this movie is that it has some scary parts (as you have already read). Younger children should definitely be accompanied by an adult, but other than the violence the plot line is really good, and the imagery is beautiful (especially the coral reef!)
Adult Written bySTRIDER9 April 7, 2013

It rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This movie is really great at teaching lessons of life, loss and family. Its also a really sweet treat for both adults and kids. Totally cool Dude It rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Parent of a 17 and 17 year old Written bypoppinsfan August 14, 2015
Parent of a 1, 4, 7, and 7 year old Written byFowlerFan August 26, 2013

Great movie with a few scarey moments

We started watching this movie when our eldest were 4, and then saw the mom get gobbled up. So, we put it away for a while. Now, it's okay to watch - the movie itself is entertaining and well done. The language I find is acceptable, but there are some scary moments. I'm okay letting them watch this on the 'small screen', but if it was on the movie screen, I would definitely have been more concerned.
Parent Written byAPAdam August 2, 2013

Nicely Done

Sets the bar for all the Pixar films