All member reviews for Finding Nemo

Adult Written bybobtedeschi April 9, 2008

My 4-year old was traumatized

Immediately beneath the "Adult Reviews" box for Finding Nemo is the quote "recommended for: Ages 2 and up." I either didn't see the "common sense notes" on Nemo or it hadn't yet been posted. In either case, based on the "ages 2 and up" recommendation, and the glowing reviews from parents on this site, I brought my little girl on Saturday to her first movie-theater feature. I wish I hadn't. The movie spends the first 15 minutes or so investing the audience in the two main characters, then spends the next hour putting these characters' lives in peril, in a series of near-violent deaths accentuated by all the soundtrack and sound-effect pyrotechnics you'd expect. There was a huge shark with hundreds of teeth gnashing at the protagonist for a few minutes straight, a freakish looking fish with spiked teeth gnashing at the protagonist for a few minutes, the other protagonist nearly getting shredded in a fish tank filter, the first protagonist and his friend nearly dying in an ever-tightening minefield of jellyfish -- the list goes on and on. I expected a joyful experience where I didn't have to actively parent for a couple of hours. I was dead wrong. Note: my child's media consumption is mostly limited to more feel-good types of shows like Pooh, Mr. Rogers, Clifford, etc., but she is not a shrinking violet.
Kid, 12 years old July 25, 2011

Just Keep Swimming!

I remember watching this movie when I was little. I always liked it, and I still do. It's a great and fun movie with some positive role models: Marlin is a loving father who cares deeply for his son Nemo, and will not rest until he finds Nemo when he is taken away by divers. Dory is a good friend and helps when she can. However, there are many scary parts that younger kids may be frightened by: There's a barracuda at the beginning that ends up killing Nemo's mother and almost all of her eggs. There are sharks who, at first claim to be friendly with the fish, but end up attacking (no characters are hurt, though the chase scene is very intense). There's also a swarm of jellyfish that end up leaving a character fatally wounded. There's a Deep Sea Anglerfish ("Light Fish") who attacks (again, the characters get away unharmed). One part that is iffy is that a whale, at one part in the movie, mistakenly swallows up two characters; some kids may find this scary (I was always terrified, and still am, at this part, but I have cetaphobia). As you can see, there are many frighting scenes in the movie. Language is okay, though there is some name calling. Overall, this is a good movie, but note, for young and sensitive children, you may want to skip the scary parts. I rate this movie 3 stars. :)
Teen, 14 years old Written byilovecookiez April 16, 2011

One of my fave movies as a kid!

I loved this movie as a kid! I would watch this like, 24/7! The part where the shark smells the blood and attacks scared me as a kid. Same with the part where a light ends up being this scary fish (I forget what it's called) and he attacks as well. But I still loved it. Warning: This movie may scare children under the age of 8 years.
Parent of an infant, 1, 4, and 5 year old Written byMrs. Higgles November 19, 2011

TOOO VIOLEENNNTTTT

This Movie is the most violent movie I let my 5 year old watch. I thought that this movie would be about not running away and what to if you get lost. This movie is not educational at all. What would a young boy want to do after watching this movie would be eat his sister. I HATE FINDING NEMO!!!
Parent Written byhools June 16, 2010

Our four-year-old only made it through the first few minutes, and that is after we skipped the beginning where Nemo's mom and family (except Dad) meet a violent end. This, like most kids movies, is much too intense and scary for sensitive preschoolers.
Parent of a 2 and 4 year old Written bylaribrook June 9, 2010

Great, but need to skip scary parts

We love this movie for my preschool age kids, but we have to skip a good 4-5 large scenes. This makes it a little hard for them to follow the storyline. There are just too many scary parts in this movie for young kids to watch the whole movie. However, the animation is colorful and amazing in most spots. The main characters are cute and have good personalities. Nothing annoying, either!
Teen, 14 years old Written byNASCAR101 May 13, 2013

nemo

super annoying, and overrated
Parent of a 6, 12, 14, 16, and 17 year old Written byshinimai December 4, 2012

I can't trust Disney anymore

I can't believe disney did this.
Teen, 13 years old Written byFILMCRITIC500 September 7, 2012

boring, anooying, unfunny kids comedy is terrible

this terrible, crudely made, and annoyingly stupid kids movie trys to be funny, but fails. its more of a big waste of time that is supposed to make people laugh and/or cry. it made me get bored and start insulting its horrible screenplay, awful acting, and poor animation effects.
Parent of a 5 year old Written byninjai April 27, 2011

Perfect for all ages

We love it specially on the part where the shark says, " Fish are friends not food." This also sends a message to everyone that this animals also has feelings and they are also a person inside a tiny body.
Teen, 13 years old Written byJustino4 April 23, 2011

No No for Nemo

This would be downright scary for little kids. The movie needs to be PG for everything scary about.
Kid, 10 years old March 29, 2011

Good for any age

I love this movie! My favorite character is Dory, She is very funny!
Kid, 11 years old March 17, 2015

For 5 year olds seriously?

This story is clearly about a man's wife who is brutely murdered by a serial killer and his son is left phiscally disable. A few years later his son is kiddnapped and the dad hass to track the kidnapper thousands of miles with the help of a mentally disable woman. Scary! Not very appropriate tut tut disney! xDD
Parent of a 2 year old Written byaniO March 17, 2011

I love this movie. The scariest scene with mom & eggs being eaten is in chapter 1 on the dvd so I usually skip it and begin the movie with Nemo and Marlin leaving for the first day of school. That cuts down on the scary and the slightly awkward intro is soon forgotten.
Parent Written byKejoli April 21, 2010

I've had this one for a while waiting until my 4.5yo was old enough to watch. Based on the review here being suitable for 4+ (and my opinion that the age ratings on this site are often conservative), she watched it today. This is one time I think the reviewers here got it wrong. It was frequently too scary for her and I'm not sure that she actually enjoyed the experience as a result. This from a child who usually wants to watch scary bits.
Teen, 17 years old Written byDreamCatcher68 April 9, 2008

Dull.

Much to everyone's surprise, I didn't like finding Nemo. It was boring and dull, and to make things worse, everyone wants to watch it again and again, and keeps repeating those same old stupid one liners. I dislike this movie and all that stems from it. And having Dory in it is offensive. There are many people out there with short-term memory issues like that and I think it's offensive to create a character that mocks that.
Kid, 8 years old June 21, 2015

Heartbreaking,moving comedy is sad and very intense.

Kid, 11 years old February 5, 2015

Good movie NOT FOR 2-6 YEAR OLDS!!!

It's a good movie, but it is NOT for little kids. It has some VERY SCARY SCENES FOR LITTLE KIDS. but it didn't bother me.
Teen, 15 years old Written byDylan the reliable October 17, 2014

Finding Nemo review

It is one of the best movies I have seen. It is very innocent and fun. Except for a couple scenes of being chased down by sharks and a big fanged fish, it is absolutely appropriate and entertaining. Great movie for the whole family!
Kid, 11 years old May 25, 2011

I noticed product placement

I have seen Buzz Lightyear in one scene of the movie, Some sharks may be scary for young kids, almost as scary as monsters inc. but I was not scared of this movie and I loved it! Good movie! I used to watch it but some scenes scared me when I was little. Not much of a deal, Loved it!!!!!!