Remake is surprisingly fresh but still faithful to original.

Adult Written byDr3w November 7, 2011

Rebellious Teen Flick

Maybe this movie wasn't so bad. There weren't any f-words that I heard. There weren't any explicit sexual scenes. And I guess it wasn't really all that violent either. But does that make it a good choice for kids? Of course not! There are other things to consider as well. First, the sexual content, language and violence in this film are enough to give me qualms about letting my siblings see it. However, with inventions like Clearplay, tvguardian, and a remote, I could eventually let them see it on dvd despite all the bad content. That said, this movie is all about rebellion from beginning to end. The religious people are portrayed as self-righteous hypocrites who just don't want anybody to have fun. Sex, drinking, and dirty dancing are the most fun you can have in Footloose. Parents aren't honored, and the whole film has a teen-empowerment message. I don't know about the rest of you, but as a nineteen-year-old, I don't think that teens don't have enough freedom. I think honestly that most parents give their teens too much freedom! And movies like this show why this is a bad thing (indirectly). So, while this isn't the worst movie I've ever seen, I can't think of a single good thing about it. Sure, it's entertaining enough with all the music, dancing, and teen angst. But really, there was nothing even remotely positive about my viewing experience. I wonder if the rest of you saw the same movie I did.
Teen, 13 years old Written bycheergirl795 October 15, 2011

Maturely amazing!!!

AMAZING movie... but everything in it! Def. not okay for anyone under age 12, best for 14+. There is a lot of fighting, drinking, and smoking, and there are 2 car/bus accidents throughout, but the role models and positive messages about teens needing to live their life in the best way they can while they still can overpowers all of that and leaves you with a positive feeling at the end of the movie. I haven't seen the old one to compare, but my mom said that this one was a little better and a lot faster moving. Julianne Hough did a really good job as did the other actors. And if you love dance, then this is a movie for you! Definetly recommend it! Oh yeah and it may seem wierd that I am 13 and recommending this for ages 14+ but my birthday is in like 5 days so I believe I essentially qualify as having the maturity level of a 14 year old. ;) Seriously go see this movie!!!
Adult Written byasmit4 October 19, 2011

On for 15 and up, ok for younger with parents...

I'm 31 and loved the original. I had high hopes for the remake and we all know how remakes often don't live up to the expectations. I felt this remake was really amazing. I loved the movie. However, I wish there was something between PG-13 and R. I'd put this movie on the high end of PG-13. I'd say 9th grade and up. As listed, there is drinking, sex, swearing. Along with some fighting (actual fist fighting) and arguing with parents. Ren is a good role model. He has good values and respects Ariel. I just think given the content- 13 is a bit young. Now, when I was 13 I'd have LOVED this film- but just because I would have loved it doesn't make it an acceptable film for 7th graders. It deals with heavy themes- drinking, family dynamics, abusive relationships, the role of sex in teen lives, religion...I could go on. If you are going to have your young teens see this film- it's a GREAT tool for MANY family discussions. There is so much going on in this film that I feel teens are likely to gloss over the real issues and enjoy the dancing.
Adult Written bystormyblueseas@... November 10, 2011

Not what I expected

While I loved the original, and the above review mentions that the sexual content isn't something that kids wouldn't hear in their classrooms or hallways, etc, it doesn't mean that it should be encouraged. The media can be used in positive ways, but to push off the innapropriateness of a film because "everyone is doing it." just doesn't cut it for me. The sexual innuendos and content were not necessary for the film and seemed to have been added in for effect. This film if it stuck to its roots could have been a valuable contribution to teaching kids responsibility, and value. There was a lot of drinking, but in some sense, it was a part of the lessons to be learned.
Parent Written bySinfoniarc March 29, 2013

Don't Waste Your Time

I couldn't be more disappointed in a remake in more than one way. Even if you remove the fact that Kenny Wormald obviously studied Kevin Bacon's dance moves in order to play the part of Ren McCormick, the movie still doesn't fly on it own. While I can appreciate a modern spin on what's now considered a classic amongst my generation, it just doesn't quite work...from a parental standpoint. We all know the story so there's not much point in retelling it. It's worth noting that there are many elements from the original soundtrack in the remake. But there's also some more modern music in it that I won't let my kids listen to. I suppose it's hypocritical but I'm more likely to let my kids listen to Quiet Riot than Cee Lo Green. While the original has a decent amount of profanity in it, the remake seems to almost train the amount of profanity for more seductive dancing than the original. Of course, none of the characters are poster children for good behavior--not in the original or the remake. But in some ways, the director has taken the teenage rebellion to the next level. Let's face it...we're not exactly talking about James Dean here (or Kevin Bacon for that matter). I'll confess that I may not be totally fair in my review because I didn't even finish the movie...it was that bad. Even if you remove the dancing, swearing, etc., the script is poor and the acting is mediocre at best. Juliane Hough can dance...we all know that from watching Dancing With The Stars. But the behavior of her character in the film and how she portrays Ariel is far from what I want my daughters to exhibit.
Adult Written bylydiathomas93 November 18, 2011

Footloose: Fun or Flop?

Lydia Thomas Professor Jossart English 110 7 November 2011 Footloose: Fun or Flop? With the abundance of ’80’s movie remakes being released, it was questionable whether or not Craig Brewer’s Footloose would be able to match the amplitude of its predecessor. However, the few differences, copious similarities and amplified storyline create a captivating new take on a classic flick. Despite the fact that professional dancers were specifically cast, their acting was as flawless as their dancing, which quickly lead Footloose to number two in the box office. Since parents today have more to worry about than loud music and dancing, it was hard to realistically portray a present day setting. Brewer chose to base his movie in the deep south; Bomont, Georgia, complete with cowboys and a strict Baptist preacher. This small town is a big change for urban teen, Ren McCormick (Kenny Wormald) who moves there from Boston to live with his aunt and uncle after the death of his mother. Taken aback from the town’s strange laws against drinking, dancing, and loud music, Ren quickly realizes this close-knit town has a story behind these absurdities. A tragic accident years before left Reverend Shaw Moore (Dennis Quaid) scarred with the death of his son and four other teens, and the town with new laws. Fate steps in, and Ren is quickly falling for the Reverend Moore’s rebellious daughter, Ariel Moore (Julianne Hough), while at odd’s with her belligerent boyfriend, Chuck Cranston (Patrick John Flueger). Ren decides these laws have got to go, and along with the help of his new friend, Willard (Miles Teller), he sets out to change the town’s mind, and do some dancing on the side. Brewer decided to take a gamble, and cast dancers as actors. In the original movie, it was the other way around; actors were cast as dancers. His gamble paid off, and Wormald and Hough mastered both the dancing and drama. From break dancing at a parking lot jam to a gymnastics solo in a warehouse to line dancing at a border bar, both the music and dancing are superb. Although he’s no Kevin Bacon, Wormald’s killer moves and even a gymnastics routine in an abandoned warehouse perceives the city boy Ren, who does his best to down home and dangerous. Hough nails Lori Singer’s old part of rebellious preacher’s daughter with an edgy attitude, while demonstrating breathtaking dance moves of her own. The original soundtrack gets “countrified”, modernized by current artists with a little southern flair. Blake Shelton and Cee Lo Green duo on “Footloose”, “Let’s Hear It for the Boy” is redone by Jana Kramer and “Holding Out for a Hero” is transformed by Ella Mae Bowen. Big & Rich and Gretchen Wilson star with “Fake I.D.”, and Smashing Pumpkins make a vocal appearance with “Window Paine.” The new country vibe matches the backwoods heel-stomping, and leaves audiences tapping their toes. Footloose could have possibly been just another badly-redone chick flick, but instead, the intense choreography, believably modern plot and jiving soundtrack sent it to number two in the box office on opening weekend. Although audiences may be skeptical about this remake, they won’t regret going to see the new Footloose in theaters.
Adult Written byMovieBuffInAustin October 25, 2011

Footloose leads to a slow death

If you want to die a slow death, go to see Footloose. You're physically dying in the theater trying to make it to the end.
Parent of a 9 and 12 year old Written byderbymom March 2, 2013

Common Sense misses the mark on this one. Not for younger teens.

I watched the remake of Footloose with my almost 13 year old after reading the review here. However, we both were very uncomfortable with the sexual nature of conversations and situations, very suggestive dancing, the swearing, and the violence (when Ariel is hit by her boyfriend). My daughter asked to turn it off and we did. I watched the rest later on my own. Ariel puts herself in some dangerous situations and I'm not sure the story fully fleshes out that she realizes her mistakes. The high schoolers go to a bar to go dancing but there is drinking too -- what could have been a fun movie for all ages turned out to be a so-so movie for young adults. Common Sense Media is usually on the mark for us but not this time.
Adult Written byScarlett.Kitty January 17, 2012

Beautiful, Brilliant, Masterpiece!

Even if you aren't a dancer or haven't seen the original Footloose this movie is absolutely amazing. It is beautiful and well-made. The main character, Ren, is an amazing role-model. The dancing is fun, the music is animated and when I went to watch this movie all I wanted to do is DANCE! However, I would not recommend this movie for anyone under the age of 14 and it might even be iffy for some 14 year olds. There is an implyed sex scene in which the girl starts unbuttoning her shirt, also intense make out scenes and the girl takes her shirt off to use as a flag while they are racing buses in a scene. There is language and disrespect to the parents (on the girl's part). She also mentions "guys getting into her panties." There is some violence, but nothing really major. I would mainly be concerned about the sex and language in the movie. Nothing more graphic than what I wrote about though. I completely recommend this movie however, it was well done and a joy to watch. Definitely going into my movie collection!
Parent Written byDebs2011 October 28, 2011

A no go for kids under age 13

First of all, I think the original was much better. I took my 11 year old (5th grade) daughter to this movie and almost walked out of it. I knew that she would enjoy the music and dancing but there was a whole lot more profanity that I expected. There was frequent drinking by the teenagers, some drug use and some strong sexually suggestive behavior. The worst part was when Ariel's ex-boyfriend violently hit and threw her. On the positive side, I feel that the main male character Ren and Willard were good role models. If I had to do it all over again, I would have waited until age 13 or older to take her to this movie.
Teen, 16 years old Written byladygagafan201 October 18, 2011

Loved Footloose!!!!!

I really enjoyed this movie and I liked it more then the original. Parents who think there is strong language in the movie should relax it's not as if your kid has never heard those words or used those words before. Sex and violence is a part of life but being abusive to your girlfriend, boyriend, whomever is wrong. As for the grinding who cares they wanted to make the remake modern well,thats how kids dance these days. People are overly dramatic about the whole subject of this movie. I loved the remake of Footloose and Kenny Wormald is hot and Julianne Hough did a great job in this movie I will wa tch it again.
Educator Written byjensedhome October 17, 2011

Ridiculous

Footloose is an interesting study in statistics. The school has a graduating class of 220 but is controlled by a congregation of approximately 200 relatively liberal Christians (they drink and swear, wear pants & make-up). Where do the other 10,000 to 14,000 people in this town attend church and why is their voice not heard? The original seems to take place in a much smaller town making it more believable and in an age before we were inundated with "outside" influences. Ariel dresses like a pole dancer - even at school and in front of her parents. If her father was truly a fundamentalist scorned by the loose living of his children - she would look like a Duggar. Dennis Quaid's performance is lukewarm at best. He has none of the authority that John Lithgow commanded. The rest of movie is a country music showcase of the good music that came out of the original slowed down to line dance to. Rent the old one - everything is better with Bacon in it.
Adult Written bynewsletter November 10, 2012

Hypocritical to the MAX

Incredibly hypocritical review by CSM here. They talk about things in this movie like its not a big deal and scorn the same type of things in humorous Adam Sandler movies. The difference is that this movie brings up things that are actually going on IN HIGH SCHOOLS with a lot of your kids (yes you reading this) like sex and pot and cussing and drinking. Whereas Adam Sandler movies and the like show it in a funny and often unrealistic way. Just because one is a remake of a "classic" that we all grew up with and the other says "Adam Sandler" on the front doesn't make the exact same references any better in this movie.
Adult Written byAmericanplaya217 April 29, 2012

Good movies

this movie has good messages, contains drugs, alcohol use, and has some sexuality and violence. But overall only for 13 & up.
Adult Written byMarie-23 November 8, 2011

"Holding out for a Hero"

The message in the remake is even better than the original. The best part of the movie was the scene directly after Ariel was about to lose her virginity. Right after that, the amazing remake of the song Holding Out for a Hero was played in the background while showing Ren. I guess it just spoke to me, because I love that this movie showed Ren as more of a hero than the original, which is such a positive message for young girls. The remake filled in a lot of the gaps from the original. I really enjoyed the, and it gave me hope that there are people out there who believe that "holding out for a hero" is the best path.
Adult Written byamanda1926 November 4, 2011

Footloose :D

The movie may have some strong language and drinking scenes, but it's not like most kids havent heard this stuff before. The comedy and the music is very enjoyable, and the main character is respectable and shows kids good values to have. I would reccomend this movie to anyone over the age of 12, it was a really good and enjoyable movie, it had me laughing the whole movie. My whole soccer team and me watched it this past weekend, and there wasnt one of us who did not enjoy the movie. We all loved it :D
Adult Written bycodered785 October 17, 2011

As good, if not better, the second time around!

For the first time in a long time, I actually enjoyed a remake! The 2011 version stays true to the original and the characters are just as lovable. The positive message the movie offers is that even young people can make a difference if they try and work for it. Ren doesn't do drugs, is respectful to adults and women and just wants to have a good time--to him, this means dancing and hanging out with friends. The drinking in the movie actually serves a message as to why underage drinking is dangerous (or any drinking and driving, for that matter). Overall, a great remake of a classic!
Adult Written byamcemerson October 14, 2011

Don't see Footloose!!

Unless you want your kid/yourself/or tennager with rebellious thoughts and seductive images, I would strongly suggest not to see this movie
Parent of a 11, 16, and 17 year old Written byBrittanySnow August 24, 2013

One of the Best

Amazing movie perfectly suitable for 12+ Normally remakes are never as good as the original but for this one its a different case. This has opened my eyes to real talent. I am in love even more with music thanks to this. And I can even dance around a bit too! :D Haha
Kid, 12 years old August 7, 2013

Good

I watched it and I loved it, I think it is a great movie for tweens.