All member reviews for Forrest Gump

Moving and wonderful, but parent preview a good idea.

Teen, 14 years old Written bywhyhellomister144 February 23, 2010

Perfect for all/most teens....fantastic overall :)

Okay, I'm going to start on a positive note; this is one of the GREATEST movies of the '90s, maybe of all time :) Everything about it is great; I don't even need to name the specifics. That being said, my parents didn't let me see it until I was 11, and even then I didn't get some of the content (ex, AIDS, what's that white powdery stuff on the mirror?, the strippers, etc...) that I got later. But if your kid gets that stuff and isn't too sensitive...they're sure to fall in love with it :)
Kid, 12 years old January 9, 2011

Forrest Gump

I loved this movie when I saw it for the first time with my 11 year old cousin and her friends, but I had some concerns. Morgane (my cousin) is the type who askes questions about romance and other topics she's too young for, and being the eldest of the group, I didnt know how to answer. By the way, THIS MOVIE RULES!
Teen, 13 years old Written byuhya May 30, 2011

excellent , but sad and has sex.

very good, but there's war violence, sex and language.
Teen, 13 years old Written byMovieGuy23 June 13, 2011

Forrest Gump is a lovely masterpiece.

Forrest Gump is the moving tale of a simpe-minded man who floats through life much like a feather. The movie ingeniously combines satire and melodrama into a seriocomical film that is hard to beat. Hanks gives the performance of a lifetime and Gary Sinise and Sally Field are just as admirable. Note to parents: The movie, although the characters are admirable and the messages are strong, still contains a good amount of content. There are sequences of war violence, a strip club scene, partial nudity, and a reference to an abusive father "touching" his young daughter. If teens can handle it, be prepared to be swept away by one of the sweetest films ever made.
Teen, 13 years old Written bySpielberg00 May 29, 2011

Lots say it shouldn't have won the 1994 Academy Award for Best Picture...I strongly beg to differ.

My rating: PG-13 [borderline with R] for mature drug and sexual content, some intense war violence and strong language.
Teen, 17 years old Written bykelsey805 April 18, 2011

good movie but way to much language......

ok so i LOVE this movie and all but the thing is, it has a lot of language as well as some sexual content, i wouldn't suggest this for younger kids (unless you have a censored version or whatever) but other than that it's amazing.
Teen, 13 years old Written bypopcorn_004 January 11, 2011

The best movie EVER!!

I LOVE this movie. It's my favorite movie of ALL time. Sure it has war and Jenny has an abusive father but it's great!
Teen, 15 years old Written byarthur16morgana January 21, 2011

i watched this movie because my dad kept telling how good it was. so i watched one day and i loved it. i would watch it again.it was funny but also sad. i cried in it.very interesting. lots of people at my school like it too.
Parent Written bySinfoniarc August 5, 2010

Life Is Like A Box Of Chocolates...If You're Old Enough To Understand

Forrest Gump is a great commentary on American life from the 1950s-1980s. You can easily take a tour of history through the people that Forrest encounters (Elvis, JFK, LBJ, Black Panthers, etc.) and events (Vietnam, Attempted Ford assassination, invention of Apple Computers, etc.). I question whether or not even a 13 year-old will fully get this movie as they may or may not know about some of the events that take place. Having said that, because Forrest is such an affable character and has such a true love for Jenny, even an 11 year-old will find this movie fun to watch. If there are any disturbing scenes in this movie, you can easily imagine as to what they are--the suggested abuse Jenny gets from her father (even thought it doesn't show anything), Forrest's encounter with the Black Panthers and former Alabama Governor Wallace (the N---word IS used), and the violent war scenes from Vietnam. Forrest is a great friend and has the most pure and innocent love one can imagine. Good values children can take away are things like: the value of friendships, the value of true love, respecting one's parents and elders, serving our country, nobody likes to be teased, and to treat others like you would want to be treated.
Teen, 14 years old Written byAlinaW. May 20, 2010

A definete must-see!!

This is a fabulous movie, one of my favourites of all time, and that's saying a lot! It made me laugh, it made me cry, it made me feel the character's pain, especially Tom Hanks' exceptional performance as Forrest! Some of the stuff, like drugs, drinking, and adult-like things like strippers might be inapproprite for younger kids, OR they might just not get it, but they probably will ask questions like "What's AIDS? What's that white stuff on the mirror?". I at 12 was mature enough to handle it though, so consider it for mature tweens and teens. Overall, good prevails the bad stuff in this movie, making it a must see for everyone!
Adult Written bydwrigt6494 December 17, 2010

Forrest Gump Review

I love this movie. I think it's one of the best movies ever. There are a lot of historical references in it. Also, the main character show that through hard work and dedication, you can achieve anything. They also show the importance of family throughout the story. The only down side is there is a good amount of violence and some bad language because they are in the Vietnam war, so some things are said and done that might not be appropriate for young children.
Kid, 10 years old October 28, 2010

More for 11,mabey 12+

I Love this movie ! Tom Hanks Is a great actor. It has alot of Drugs, which is not my biggest conserne. I dont like the laungeuge at all and I dont like the sex realated stuff in the movie. I think Forest Gump(Tom Hanks) is a great role model,has positive highlights but dose to much to get Jenny(Robin Wright).
Teen, 13 years old Written bydmalino March 9, 2011

Good movie but some parts aren't appropriate for kids
Teen, 13 years old Written bySeminolefreak March 16, 2011

Classic!!! Awesome for teens

My MPAA Rating, PG-13: Strong war violence and peril, some sexuality, strong language, and drug use
Kid, 10 years old August 14, 2010

Recommend for mature teens

This movie was a masterpiece. Tom Hanks played a good role as Forrest. Parents should be warned that the there is some inappropriate content like drug use/smoking (I remember there are several scenes of smoking and one of scene of cocaine use)sexuality and curse words that should not be used like the f word, the s word and the d word is used too many times and I was suprised by the racial remarks on African Americans. overall,it was a good movie and deserved to be awarded for best piture. Thank you for reading my review.
Kid, 12 years old January 22, 2011

Goog for teens and young adults

Positive movie.. Great for teens young adult or anyone else except under 10 maybe, but it isn't really a problem.
Kid, 12 years old July 15, 2011

Greatest movie ever!

I thought it was an excellent movie, despite infrequent sex content, a great deal of drug usage, language, and gorey war violence in the vietnam scene, its a great movie with good messages and positive role models. I wouldnt let kids under 7 see it, 7-10 is your decision, 11 and above is a-ok. Also some parts are very emotional such as when bubba dies in battle, forrest mom dies, jenny attempts suicide and later dies because of a virus. And there is foreplay in the movie along with stripping, and making love. There is also a great deal of war violence. Other than that a great movie, go see it!!
Parent of a 4 year old Written byBeen There August 18, 2010

Great for anyone in or from an abusive environment!

For adults, it's fine. NOT for kids, unless the kid lives in an abusive environment. I really "get it" where Jenny returns to the house she lived in with her dad and she threw rocks at it and then dropped to the ground in tears. Wish he would've bull dozed it right after she did that instead of waiting. Better yet, let HER drive the dozer!
Adult Written byMal1960 July 4, 2009

A great movie, but not for young teens

What the Common Sense review does not mention is an early scene in which Forrest's mother has sex with the school principal to get Forrest into public school, and Forrest hears plenty of noise from the principal while that's happening. Also, the "foreplay" scene is not appropriate for young teens or children.
Kid, 12 years old September 26, 2010

This is a fantastic film starring Tom Hanks. Although this film holds positive messages and some good role models there is 1 scene of sex and child abuse and drink and drugs. I would advise for parents to see first.