Moving and wonderful, but parent preview a good idea.

Parent Written byDuncanDerund September 4, 2014

Great Movie

PG-13 for language and sexuality+war violence.
Kid, 12 years old July 15, 2011

Greatest movie ever!

I thought it was an excellent movie, despite infrequent sex content, a great deal of drug usage, language, and gorey war violence in the vietnam scene, its a great movie with good messages and positive role models. I wouldnt let kids under 7 see it, 7-10 is your decision, 11 and above is a-ok. Also some parts are very emotional such as when bubba dies in battle, forrest mom dies, jenny attempts suicide and later dies because of a virus. And there is foreplay in the movie along with stripping, and making love. There is also a great deal of war violence. Other than that a great movie, go see it!!
Parent of a 4 year old Written byBeen There August 18, 2010

Great for anyone in or from an abusive environment!

For adults, it's fine. NOT for kids, unless the kid lives in an abusive environment. I really "get it" where Jenny returns to the house she lived in with her dad and she threw rocks at it and then dropped to the ground in tears. Wish he would've bull dozed it right after she did that instead of waiting. Better yet, let HER drive the dozer!
Parent Written byPlague December 14, 2009

Forrest Gump

A moving, powerful, and funny movie the whole family will charish for years and years to come. Tom Hank's greatest role ever played in his acting carrer by far.
Adult Written byOr April 9, 2008
Parent of a 13 and 16 year old Written byColumbiaMDMom January 24, 2016

Great Movie -- but just not for kids, imo

I am so glad I had common sense media to consult for this. At the suggestion of common sense media _did_ preview, and will not be showing this as family fare. After previewing this, I've come to the conclusion that this was never intended to be for kids. Others pointed out a couple of scenes that parents could fast forward through. Even with a quick finger on the remote, I'm left concerned that the emotional impact is inappropriate for my teenage sons. There are two story arcs here. One is this pure-minded soul, plods along in life and through his gifts -- running, ping pong, etc. -- bumbles into great success, and encounters seminal historical events. That story arc, underpinned by Forrest recalling and following his mother's advice, would be great to share with the family. The other arc is his longing for Jenny, the girl he befriended on the school bus the first day of school. Jenny, either because she's dealing with her own demons or because she feels she'd be taking advantage of Forrest, stays connected with Forrest but won't commit to him until the very end of the movie. In what may be the most poignant part of the movie, Forrest simply asks her "Will you marry me?" and tells her "I would make a good husband." He then says that he is not smart but that "I know what love is." Though masterfully acted by Tom Hanks, it is because of this intense emotional component that I am choosing not to share it with my kids. I saw someone mention that there was a shorter version, edited for tv. If anyone knows where to find this, I'd be interested. The message for me of the movie is to live one's life with honor. It's a great message; just a little too heart wrenching for me to want to share it with my teens.
Parent of a 13 and 16 year old Written bynuenjins September 9, 2014

Emotional buttons pressed but to what end.

So it's a happy so called "feel good" romp through history. It is fun and awkward sometimes to a Napoleon Dynamite degree but the content of a boys teacher having sex with his mother is nowhere near appropriate for any young teenager. These 'moments' seem to be glossed over by the heartwarming moments but are still there and kids will catch them and notice that this 'will' send messages to and/or disturb your kids and saying nothing to address these moments for innappropriate audiences can leave them with unattended thoughts and feeling of being disturbed by the content. The movie is strung together in an amusing way and there are lessons to be learned from it, but keep in mind impressionable minds will remember the bad ones too.
Teen, 17 years old Written bykelsey805 April 18, 2011

good movie but way to much language......

ok so i LOVE this movie and all but the thing is, it has a lot of language as well as some sexual content, i wouldn't suggest this for younger kids (unless you have a censored version or whatever) but other than that it's amazing.
Teen, 15 years old Written byarthur16morgana January 21, 2011
i watched this movie because my dad kept telling how good it was. so i watched one day and i loved it. i would watch it again.it was funny but also sad. i cried in it.very interesting. lots of people at my school like it too.
Kid, 10 years old October 28, 2010

More for 11,mabey 12+

I Love this movie ! Tom Hanks Is a great actor. It has alot of Drugs, which is not my biggest conserne. I dont like the laungeuge at all and I dont like the sex realated stuff in the movie. I think Forest Gump(Tom Hanks) is a great role model,has positive highlights but dose to much to get Jenny(Robin Wright).
Parent Written byCooldee April 25, 2010

Beware!

There is some bad stuff such as war violence, swearing, drug use, and child abuse. Recommand this movie to children to ages 13 and up.
Teen, 13 years old Written bymoviegeek97 February 25, 2010
one of my favorites but may be iffy for younger kids
Teen, 14 years old Written byPoison Ivey October 10, 2009

Entertaining!

I was really impressed by how good this movie was. Everything fit together so nicely. I watched it three times in my life, and I still cry at the ending every time I watch it. There is one violent war scene. Lots of language. And there is some sex but I'd say anyone over 11 can and SHOULD see it. I can't believe I waited so long of seeing it on the shelves before fianlly picking it up! A must see.
Teen, 13 years old Written byPunkchic May 15, 2009
I loved this movie! Forrest Gump is a great character. And it teaches you not to do drugs. The only iffy parts I saw were one part where it's kinda bloody and another where Jenny and Forrest make out on a bed. I saw it as a class movie so it's not too bad. ITS MY FAVORITE NOW! And you'll wanna it over and over again!
Teen, 15 years old Written byTnMovieFan2 April 9, 2008
Teen, 15 years old Written bybubbo April 9, 2008

Great

Good for kids 12+
Teen, 14 years old Written byJoker912 January 26, 2017

Magnificent

Fabulous drama is very edgy
Teen, 16 years old Written byNathan5906 January 22, 2017

Hands Down! One of the best movies of all time. Others also love it, but kids need to watch it with their parents

Language 6.5/10 - Violence 5/10 - Sexy Content 5.5/10
Parent Written bySandra F. December 19, 2016
Kid, 11 years old November 21, 2016

Great Movie! Although a warning for young kids.

In my opinion, this is one of the best movie of all time! Although for some kids it might not be that suitable. There is a bit of rude stuff, some gore (in the war scene), some swearing and a little bit of drugs. But it is a great movie!!!