All member reviews for Forrest Gump

Moving and wonderful, but parent preview a good idea.

Kid, 12 years old July 15, 2011

Greatest movie ever!

I thought it was an excellent movie, despite infrequent sex content, a great deal of drug usage, language, and gorey war violence in the vietnam scene, its a great movie with good messages and positive role models. I wouldnt let kids under 7 see it, 7-10 is your decision, 11 and above is a-ok. Also some parts are very emotional such as when bubba dies in battle, forrest mom dies, jenny attempts suicide and later dies because of a virus. And there is foreplay in the movie along with stripping, and making love. There is also a great deal of war violence. Other than that a great movie, go see it!!
Teen, 17 years old Written bykelsey805 April 18, 2011

good movie but way to much language......

ok so i LOVE this movie and all but the thing is, it has a lot of language as well as some sexual content, i wouldn't suggest this for younger kids (unless you have a censored version or whatever) but other than that it's amazing.
Teen, 15 years old Written byarthur16morgana January 21, 2011
i watched this movie because my dad kept telling how good it was. so i watched one day and i loved it. i would watch it again.it was funny but also sad. i cried in it.very interesting. lots of people at my school like it too.
Kid, 10 years old October 28, 2010

More for 11,mabey 12+

I Love this movie ! Tom Hanks Is a great actor. It has alot of Drugs, which is not my biggest conserne. I dont like the laungeuge at all and I dont like the sex realated stuff in the movie. I think Forest Gump(Tom Hanks) is a great role model,has positive highlights but dose to much to get Jenny(Robin Wright).
Parent Written byCooldee April 25, 2010

Beware!

There is some bad stuff such as war violence, swearing, drug use, and child abuse. Recommand this movie to children to ages 13 and up.
Teen, 13 years old Written bymoviegeek97 February 25, 2010
one of my favorites but may be iffy for younger kids
Parent of a 14 and 17 year old Written byGrandmoi January 31, 2010
Teen, 13 years old Written byPunkchic May 15, 2009
I loved this movie! Forrest Gump is a great character. And it teaches you not to do drugs. The only iffy parts I saw were one part where it's kinda bloody and another where Jenny and Forrest make out on a bed. I saw it as a class movie so it's not too bad. ITS MY FAVORITE NOW! And you'll wanna it over and over again!
Teen, 15 years old Written byTnMovieFan2 April 9, 2008
Teen, 15 years old Written bybubbo April 9, 2008

Great

Good for kids 12+
Teen, 15 years old Written byhayal12 July 26, 2016

Alright in some ways, but at times infuriating

I suppose you could put my criticism of this movie down to the fact that it's just not the kind of thing that appeals to us Brits, as the film is chiefly a celebration of 20th Century American patriotism (and stole the Oscar for Best Actor from Nigel Hawthorne in 'The Madness of King George'. Fair enough, the film does have its highlights (mainly the memorable opening scene, Alan Silvestri score and creative use of special effects), but other than that the character of Forrest himself is far from endearing and at times infuriating to watch, and his unwitting innocence/ignorance seem just an excuse to cram as much history in as possible. Finally, what many fans of this film put down as 'sweet' is simply cheesy. Expect injury detail, language and sex.
Teen, 13 years old Written bygraciequaccia July 1, 2016

One of my favorites!

I can't say enough good things about Forrest Gump. It literally evokes every emotion and every feeling you can think of. It made me laugh, it made me sad, angry, and it made me cry real tears. The storyline of this movie is absolutely phenomenal and original. It basically goes over every important event during the time period in which Forrest lived in - he influenced some of Elvis' dance moves, and it went over historical events like the Watergate Scandal, Hurricane Carmen, The Vietnam War, President Kennedy's assassination, etc. It's absolutely amazing and I totally recommend it!
Teen, 13 years old Written byAppu200 June 24, 2016

Not meant for young teens

This movie has too strong nudity as well as sexual content. It as at least 3 uses of dirty words. Dirty words should only be used once in a pg-13 movie. This should be R rated
Teen, 15 years old Written bybatman12 June 24, 2016

great film but parent preview is a good idea

I LOVE it but there is quite a bit of swearing (2 f-words and about 20 s and d words each) brief nudity (male butt) and drug use so watch it before your kids do but it is a must see
Teen, 13 years old Written byHannah_Robinson_2002 June 24, 2016

it was good but dark...

i am thirteen and we watched it with my eleven year old sister and she found it to much. i thought it was good but i didn't like the fact that it included drugs and sex but i didn't find it to bad because i know more about that stuff. It was really sad and emotional and i dont think younger kids would understand it.
Kid, 10 years old June 10, 2016

Great Movie! But sort of inappropriate

In one scene Jenny has heroin on her night table, and that means she did drugs. also depressing, lots of times people die or just sad things happen. If you are under 10 then make sure you have a parent approval before you watch it. Enjoy
Teen, 16 years old Written byRoanstone March 31, 2016

A Timless Classic

"Forrest Gump" is one of those movies that should be watched at least once in someone's lifetime. It's filled with character, humor, individual and social problems, but it also has a twist of darkness to it. The film, which covers pieces of Gump's lifetime over a multitude of decades, really captures the good points and the bad points of each character- this being said, not everything that each character does is a good influence. Some of the characters drink, use profanity, show violent behavior, and implications of sex are shown during parts of the film. This does not degrade the quality of the film, however, but I would recommend parents to view the movie before letting their child watch. (There's plenty of material to discuss with your child about the characters' decisions to do right or wrong.) There are some very sad scenes amidst all of the happy times, so have tissues on-hand. It's one of those feel-good classics that I'll come back to time and time again, and it's one of my all-time favorites.
Kid, 10 years old March 28, 2016

MUST WATCH

it is a good movie in the vietnam war and it has a lot of comedy as well as action he gets wounded so did one of his friends and his best friend died because he was shot in the chest
Teen, 13 years old Written byIt's my job January 27, 2016

just amazing

It is such a hard hitting film which shows: romance, comedy and other features. I find it is a film which shows a variety of emotions. There are a few scenes which may be hard hitting for children. For example, there are some scenes which show blood and shock with the Vietnam war scene. There can be a few grown up scenes which where you may want to look away!.
Parent of a 13 and 16 year old Written byColumbiaMDMom January 24, 2016

Great Movie -- but just not for kids, imo

I am so glad I had common sense media to consult for this. At the suggestion of common sense media _did_ preview, and will not be showing this as family fare. After previewing this, I've come to the conclusion that this was never intended to be for kids. Others pointed out a couple of scenes that parents could fast forward through. Even with a quick finger on the remote, I'm left concerned that the emotional impact is inappropriate for my teenage sons. There are two story arcs here. One is this pure-minded soul, plods along in life and through his gifts -- running, ping pong, etc. -- bumbles into great success, and encounters seminal historical events. That story arc, underpinned by Forrest recalling and following his mother's advice, would be great to share with the family. The other arc is his longing for Jenny, the girl he befriended on the school bus the first day of school. Jenny, either because she's dealing with her own demons or because she feels she'd be taking advantage of Forrest, stays connected with Forrest but won't commit to him until the very end of the movie. In what may be the most poignant part of the movie, Forrest simply asks her "Will you marry me?" and tells her "I would make a good husband." He then says that he is not smart but that "I know what love is." Though masterfully acted by Tom Hanks, it is because of this intense emotional component that I am choosing not to share it with my kids. I saw someone mention that there was a shorter version, edited for tv. If anyone knows where to find this, I'd be interested. The message for me of the movie is to live one's life with honor. It's a great message; just a little too heart wrenching for me to want to share it with my teens.