All member reviews for Frankenweenie

Burton's creepy young Frankenstein is perfect for tweens.

Parent Written byalibaba3 October 5, 2012

Kids enjoyed, while parents snoozed

Hubby and I took a nap. Kids 11 (boy), 10 (girl), and two 8 year old girls gave it a B+.
Kid, 11 years old October 9, 2012

Officially my second favorite Burton move

This was such a cute movie! But, if you want to see it, make sure you bring a truckload of kleenex tissues with you.
Kid, 11 years old October 6, 2012

BAD.

Frankenweenie was a very weird movie. I'm not one for dark humor. I'm not a fan of Tim Burton movies, either, so I wasn't expecting much. It was even WORSE than I expected. Bleh.
Educator and Parent Written byplinerd October 22, 2012

Warrants discussion, might be tough for compassionate kids.

I'm hesitant to place an age on it because all kids are different. Heck, even my almost 7-year old has responded more favorably to movies where I thought the characters might be creepier. That said, he 1) started crying out of sadness about 15 minutes before the movie ended because an innocent creature ultimately died (yes, the dog died at the beginning, but we knew he came back to life and all was fine or him...) and 2) that night he said he couldn't get the images of the dead animals out of his head. This was not him just wanting to stay up later. I laid with him and could see his eyes wide open, being very alert and tense. I said there is a positive message because part of the story is based on doing things with love and for the right reasons, or you might get a bad result. Not sure kids will catch that on their own, but the science teacher mentions it and it seems to apply to the rest of the events (although, interestingly enough, I don't think that philosophy is real in the situation used). Also, there could be a message that being the introvert (which is not viewed as being as good as extroverts in our society) is not a bad thing. That introverts can be successful, kind, etc. Again, it's not obvious and would warrant some discussion. My husband, who jokes that I always want teddy bears and rainbows (not true, LOL), even said it was a little more graphic than he had expected. Not showing blood or amputated body parts or anything, but the acts of violence were creepier.
Teen, 13 years old Written byEpicNerd June 27, 2014

Fun at times, but missing a theme

Going into Frankenweenie, it's best to know that there is no point/theme to this movie whatsoever. I liked the animation and it had its funny parts, but by the end I had one of those, "What was the point of that movie?" moments. There's nothing inappropriate I can recall, although younger kids may find the animation creepy. Also, a short scene where the kid sews up his dog (offscreen; we only see him with a needle and thread) may disturb sensitive viewers, I, having a weak stomach myself, got slightly queasy. It's really one of those movies that entirely depends on the person watching it.
Parent of a 3, 8, and 10 year old Written bygentlemomof3 February 20, 2013

weird, a little creepy, but good

I read the other reviews on this site for Frankenweenie before we watched it. I was hesitant because some of the reviews made it sound very violent and scary, but we decided to give it a go because my kids (3.5, 8 and 10) had seen Nightmare Before Christmas, Hotel Transylvania, Corpse Bride and ParaNorman and liked all of those. After watching the movie i could not understand what all the fuss was about! The characters were weird and creepy, but it was so overdone that they were funny, we all just laughed about them while watching the movie. Yes, a dog dies and that's sad, but we have dealt with pet death in our own home before so that wasn't a hard subject. The other animals turn into monsters, but they don't hurt anyone and they're, again, so over the top that they're silly. My 3 year old was slightly scared at a couple points, but she just asked questions and cuddled with me and was fine (note to other parents though - she likes being scared, my older children would not have been ok with this movie at her age as they were more fearful). Overall i think you do need to take your child's personality into account - if they're ok with movies that are a little bit creepy and dark then they'll most likely love this. If they are easily scared or have nightmares, you might want to pass it up.
Parent of a 3 year old Written bycbaraw October 27, 2012
Parent of a 6 year old Written byAidens_Mommy October 17, 2012

Ehh...

Personally, I normally enjoy Tim Burton movies, and this one was okay for the first part, but the end was just out there! I didn't like the cat being speared and when it turned into a bat it really scared my son (To be fair, we were watching at IMAX so it jumped out of the screen, probably wouldn't scare him in 2D) We had to watch his dog die a few times and that might really upset a younger audience, especially children who have lost pets or don't know about death yet. Be prepared for lots of questions. I hated that the whole thing was in black and white. I wouldn't have watched it at IMAX ($17 for my husband and I and $13.50 for my son) if I had known. 3D is so much better with bright colors. The story was okay.. the love the boy had for his dog was sweet. My son is six and he said he liked it but I wouldn't watch it again. I might consider buying it for him, though.
Adult Written byTimTheTVGuy October 16, 2012

Great movie,but WHY MUST IT BE IN BLACK & WHITE!?

This was a fun,thrilling,and fun movie.I was at Subway one day,and saw stuff related to this movie,AND the cashier recomended the movie! When I saw it,I like it,but I hated the fact that it was not in color.LAME!
Kid, 10 years old August 19, 2013

epic.. at least

pretty good, for kids at least
Parent of a 11 year old Written byfriendlytoanimals February 5, 2013

Creepy and Gross and Lacking Real Humor or Depth

Dark humor? Fine, we loved Nightmare Before Christmas. This movie was just creepy and gross. The characters were not likable, the message of not grieving and accepting death is definitely questionable, and ultimately it just turns into yet another run and fight movie.
Parent of a 6 and 9 year old Written byGoodWitch November 12, 2012

Really enjoyed this one.

Both of my sons really enjoyed this movie. They also enjoyed other Tim Burton movies (Nightmare Before Christmas, Corpse Bride) but didn't care for Coraline (even I thought that one was creepy).
Teen, 13 years old Written bypoe-ette November 3, 2012

Wonderful, heartwarming, and perfect

Seriously? These reviews are misleading and irritating. This movie is TIM BURTON. It is going to be dark and eerie throughout! Every movie he has made is like that! This movie had no actual violence or blood (it was black and white), but there are a few jump scenes. A rat thing pops up on the screen unexpectedly and I screamed, I'll be honest xD. A cat/bat gets impaled on a stick (you see it on the stick but the actual impaling occurs off-screen), the weird girl is creepy looking, with large, protruding eyes, a dog is run over by a car (again, you don't see it), and there are some extremely heartbreaking and tense moments. Overall, it wasn't scary at all, just had a dark, eerie tone like most T.B. movies. Fine for kids 10+. 5 stars, it was heartwarming, sweet, clever, sad, and one of Tim Burton's best in my opinion. I loved it, and you should watch this movie with your older children.
Kid, 12 years old October 20, 2012

one of the best movies i've ever seen (but maybe too scary for little kids)

i love this movie!!! it's really cool but enough about my opions here's the parental advice positive role model- victor strives to bring sparky (his dog) back from the dead. volience- sparky is hit by a car (his dead body is not shown) a dead bat and turtle are shown a vampire cat is stabbed with a sharp piece of wood (causing it to die) sea monkeys explode and their guts show a boy falls off a roof while doing a science experiment well that's all i can remember
Teen, 17 years old Written byjackie chany October 14, 2012

awsome

it is funny all the way through no horror
Teen, 14 years old Written bycharlotte101 October 9, 2012

wait until its out on dvd

I took my sister to go see it and she's 7. when i asked her how it was she shrugged and said "creepy". and I wasn't really a fan even though i love tim burton. it is good for older kids though!
Teen, 16 years old Written byBestPicture1996 October 9, 2012

Return to form for Burton

The same magic he instilled into "Edward Scissorhands" and "Beetlejuice" Tim Burton brings to this brisk but enjoyable spooky comedy about a boy bringing his dog back to life. It's got a wonderful message to kids that as long as you love something, it'll always stay with you no matter what. It's a loving homage to the original "Frankenstein," and much better than his previous film this year: "Dark Shadows."
Parent of a 18+ year old Written byDanielChoi October 5, 2012

7 years old and up

This movie is creepy but i mean it's not that violence and creepy! So i chose 7 and up.
Kid, 9 years old July 5, 2016

Good movie if you`re having a Scary Night Marathon

This movie had absolutely NO swearing, which is why I`m surprised they even put a 1 in language. If you`re showing this to your kid\kids then the main thing to be worried about is scariness. If your kid gets scared easily or gets nightmares easily, this is not the movie to watch. First of all, Victor brings his pet back to life with lightning. A creepy guy asks to use the same experiment for his science fair project, so Victor does it on his pet fish, who turns into an invisible skeleton of a fish. The other guys do the same and there`s a big pet turtle Godzilla running around, some alien looking skinny-monkey thingys and a cat turns into a catbat, in which all are creepy scenes.
Teen, 14 years old Written byimoviegoteen August 20, 2015

It was not near the best Tim Burton could have done.

First off, its in black and white, for no apparent reason, I'm sorry to tell you, I wasn't pretty pleased with this movie. No language or sexual material. Some of the characters are freaky looking and sorta disturbed me. This film offers me a 3.1/5.