All member reviews for Free Willy

A wayward boy befriends a moody killer whale.

Parent of a 2 and 4 year old Written byr.A.i. November 29, 2010

too much unnecessary raw facts of life

The main character has been abandoned by his mother. My 5-year-old did not need to know that mothers sometime abandon kids who need to live on the streets. Running from the police, breaking in, spray painting: all not behaviors that a child should see. I'm just overwhelmed by producer's stupidity in thinking: Let's show something bad and then tell them it's bad so that they can learn what is good.
Parent of a 6 and 8 year old Written byDanzaJoy January 19, 2011

Know what you are getting into before showing to kids under 10

I watched this film when my kids were 6 and 7. I didn't know the full story. It was much darker than I expected and ended up being a big trigger for my 6-year old fost-adopted daughter still grieving the move from her foster family to our forever family. In the end, perhaps her tears were cleaning but I wish I'd know in advance to be prepared. The child acts outside of the law, sometimes with adult support so I have mixed feelings about that: integrity outweighs rules but a challenging nuance for younger kids.
Kid, 9 years old December 13, 2009

bleh..

kind a boring
Kid, 8 years old April 9, 2008

It Made me CRY:(

Free Willy was so sad. It made me cry. It was about a boy who befriended a killer whale. I gave it a 5 star because it was very touching and sad. But if you watch it be shure to cry! :) :(
Kid, 10 years old February 17, 2012

free willy review

i think it is amazing because my daughter is an animal lover and she is 10 and she really liked it.
Teen, 16 years old Written byMaya16 July 23, 2015

Best movie about animals

This movie does a great job portraying animal abuse. People need to take action of whales.
Written byAnonymous October 3, 2014

Perfect kid's movie

This is one of my favorite animal movies because there is not much violence (a boy is caught by police, there is a fight in the water) or language (one "crap) and it's also about the human-animal bond.
Parent of a 6 year old Written bymadsmooney1214 September 13, 2012

free willy

Families can talk about orca biology and behavior -- you might follow up with some online whale research together. There's also plenty of save the whales stumping, which might excite any budding activists. Talk about right and wrong? Is it okay for them to do whatever it takes to save Willy?
Parent Written bycoollid June 9, 2012

love it

that is the best
Kid, 12 years old January 22, 2012

Great Movie!!

I normally pass on animal movies because of the predictable plots and stupid effects but my parents rented it as a family movie and it has been my favorite movie ever since! Growing up in the Astoria/Portland area too provided fun for my little sister as she tried to point out all the places she had been.
Teen, 16 years old Written bygaby3431 December 31, 2011

dolphintale

awesome movie you know
Teen, 15 years old Written byhomealonefan123 December 18, 2011

awesome

this heartwarming family film is perfect for ages 8 and up.
Kid, 12 years old December 2, 2011

free willy

Kid, 11 years old June 4, 2010

Free Willy,My Review

I love tihs movie,i saw it in school for having a school party at the end of school.Anyway, I recomend this movie to everyone.I like the ending part of the movie. I wont tell you anything about the movie,so you will have to see it your self.
Kid, 11 years old May 12, 2010

good movie

everytime i watch this flim it makes me cry idk why
Kid, 11 years old April 17, 2010

Orca fans!!

I love this movie because i love orcas. this is very cool and makes you wish you were the main character!
Kid, 11 years old April 16, 2010

Perfect for kids, teens, and adults!

this is the best movie ever!!! i like the part when the good guys break through the gate!
Kid, 12 years old December 12, 2009

a good story

a good story but i found the movie a bit boring.
Adult Written byjesus3boy October 14, 2009
Kid, 9 years old September 1, 2009

its ok....

might be too upsetting for little ones though