All member reviews for Freedom Writers

Familiar plot has a strong, inspirational message.

Kid, 11 years old May 27, 2009

Great moving and inspirational movie for tweens but not for young kids.

TERRIFIC movie!!! A lot of swearing including two uses of the the f- word but you can only hear one well. There is some blood and shooting and disturbing fights between kids but nothing to bad. It also may be harder to understand for younger audiences. Very inspirational.
Teen, 15 years old Written byamazeutwo April 9, 2008
Teen, 13 years old Written byAlternative4ever April 9, 2008
Teen, 16 years old Written bywusletpierre February 9, 2016
Kid, 12 years old August 8, 2012

"Freedom Writers" Review

This movie definitely has positive messages and role models such as Erin and Miep Gies, and maybe even some of the students. There is a lot of violence since the movie focuses on gangs, such as multiple shootings and physical fights. There is one scene where a shot is taken of Erin and her soon-to-be-divorced husband making out with hands circling the rear (suggestive). There is a good amount of inappropriate language used, even by Erin when she gets frustrated about a student's self-evaluation. Overall, I think a strong tween could watch it, along with teens and adults (you just have to decide).
Kid, 12 years old December 30, 2010

Very good movie

I think that this movie was very inspirational and it had very positive role models. It was truely a great movie.
Teen, 14 years old Written byHoneyCruller June 29, 2010

Why, I first watched it on a youth TV station.

Everything about this movie just drags me in. It's realistic, it relates to teens, it's touching, and had great meaning. The bad stuff we can handle; It's meant for meaning, and everyone can learn from it, I don't have to say no more.
Teen, 17 years old Written bymaria597 March 16, 2010
I LOVE THE MOVIE CAUSE IT TELLS U ALOT ABOUT ALL THE VILANCE IN THE NEIGHBORHOOD
Adult Written bytexas0789 April 9, 2008

My All-Time Favorite Movie

Just saw the movie last night. Fantastic movie, love the movie from start to finish. It had its funny parts and its sad and dramatic parts. I cant wait for the movie to come out on dvd!!! It was that good. I recommend it for anyone from the young adults to the teenagers. Good job Hillary Swank!!!!!!!!!!!!
Parent Written byJAAS June 5, 2016

inspiring

Tween and teens can handle this especially if watching it with a parent. Gang violence and drug conversations happen throughout the movie.
Parent Written byCamisita May 29, 2014

Makes you want to work harder on your goals or create goals!

This movie has a few bad words, but not many. This movie has some issues not good for kids or tweens. It speaks of the Holocaust. gangs, murder by guns, shows a mom being beat with a belt in front of her children, kids beating other kids for a gang hazing, lying, and more. Better suited for mature older teens that already know the diff between right and wrong, etc. My daughter saw this movie at school around 15-16 yrs old w/o my knowledge or consent. The school never sent home a form, but she loved it and told me we needed to see it together and finally got to this week (May 2014), she's now 17.5. Great movie, I was crying. Very proud of the teacher in this film. Based on a true story, set in the time after the Rodney King incident and the riots. (another adult topic)
Adult Written byabbacus October 20, 2013

Really good!

Very inspirational movie! It has tons of very heartfelt eye-opening moments and never gets boring either. I think it is one of the movies that everyone should see at least once in their life.
Kid, 12 years old June 1, 2013

Great movie, but quite depressing

Really good movie. I watched it when I was 11, and I was ok, but some other kids could find it upsetting. I think it is for 12 year olds and up as it is a great movie, but does deal a lot with gang violence, abuse and racism and therefore should definitely not be watched by easily upset 11 year olds. Anyone 10 or under, should DEFINITELY, not watch it.
Teen, 17 years old Written byiamHOT May 3, 2013

Freedom Writers

i think this film was a very inspirational film becuase it teaches you a lot about the world people live in and how we should all get along and not to hate anyone. I think it is a good film for young children around 12 and above to watch because it is quite sad and distubing at times, but on the otherhand it is a very good film to learn new things. The plot of the film is that there is an idealistic young teacher, who inspires her "at-risk" urban students to respect each other and themselves. She is white, whereas they're mostly of color; she's clueless about their harsh lives, they initially resent her cluelessness but learn to appreciate her efforts to understand them.
Teen, 13 years old Written bytheultimate362 March 14, 2013

This is a very good positive message and story.

I think this movie is very inspirational, and has a good message for the youth that lives in a violent environment. The movie is about a student teacher that teaches a class that everyone thinks is going to fail, but she proved them wrong by inspiring and touching each and every one of them, and they soon became successful. My favorite story is Jason Finn's story, one day he and his best friend went to a bench to see the new pistol his friend got. While his friend was wielding the gun, he accidentally shot himself, Jason stood there with his friend and waited for the police to arrive to find himself in juvenile hall.
Teen, 16 years old Written byTotally500 September 23, 2012

Freedom Writers is well good

I liked it ive read the book liked it a lot better but this is good though
Teen, 13 years old Written bySomeoneYouDon'tKnow April 19, 2012

Fantastic film will move you to tears

This was a fantastic and inspiring film. I'm very surprised that it wasn't nominated for any Oscars. Maybe it might be a bit familiar to most people, but I sure didn't know about any of the stuff they were taking about. I had never heard of the Rodney King riots, and I was very surprised by how much I didn't know about the issues in this film. It moved me greatly, and some of it confused me. Nonetheless, it is a fantastic film that mature kids will greatly enjoy. Hilary Swank at her best!
Parent of a 1 and 9 year old Written bySteffauri516 March 12, 2012

Gripping, inspirational, phenomenal movie

~This movie is incredibly powerful, to say the least. It is a true story that touches on the struggles and hardships of a group of high school students, whose lives are plagued by gangs, drugs, abuse, family conflicts, and a system that treats them like they're worthless. The story is incredibly moving, vivid and inspiring. However, I would recommend it as both an entertaining and enlightening/educational experience for young to mid-teens. While it is rated PG13, there are still a lot of highly intense situations either portrayed or talked about by the characters in this movie, that I think kids should be a little older and more mature to understand and view. All in all, the movie sends a positive message about the power of education, believing in oneself, and perseverance. I'd recommend it for anyone 15 and older.
Kid, 12 years old November 5, 2011

Insperational

very iffy but very inspirational heart warming young adults!
Kid, 12 years old March 11, 2010

GREAT STORY

When i watched this movie i could not believe that it was a true story that only happened in 1994! I just couldent believe what these highschool kids where going through. Some of it was so horrible and cruel it kinda scared me. But i still love it and its a wonderful story!!!!!!! The iffy stuff about this movie is highschool student's disrespect there teachers. They also call the teacher swears and eachother swears. Theres a LOT of vilonce. Including one disturbing image of a dead man with blood coming out of his back. Also there are several gunshots and some talk about the horrors of the holocaust.