All member reviews for Friday the 13th (1980)

Beware of this infamous, sadistic slasher film.

Adult Written byyetijones February 20, 2009

Common Sense Media, You Make a Mockery of Professional Reviews

This is a classic film, put in theaters in the 1980's; this is what horror film was all about back in the day! And now your website makes a mockery of someone's production? I really cannot believe this domain is still active. PARENTS LISTEN! This site is biased, unruly, and unjust; I haven't found one review by its staff that I agree with, or any case study in which I see extensive research/evidentiary support. What I see is someone reading the back of a movie/game/CD cover, taking a poll on other biased personages' opinions, and writing a flagrant, outlandish article which incorrectly and distastefully outlines any form of media. Please, do the world a favor, and have an adequate review staff ACTUALLY be thorough with investigations on all your media. Get with it Common Sense, before we get out.
Teen, 14 years old Written byAntagonist November 22, 2012

Not as bad or violent as Commonsense says

This film is actually a scary horror classic. As far as violence goes, there's nothing out of the ordinary. Anyone 13+ can handle it
Kid, 11 years old January 9, 2009

Friday the 13th is a decent slasher flick and is actually worth seeing

Now don't listen to Common Sense Media. They are wrong about the movie and it's content. There were only two sex scenes and they weren't even that graphic. A character mentions 'strip monopoly' but you only see her in bra and panties. You don't see any shots of nudity. For violence, there were some violent scenes but they weren't over-the-top and not too gory either. The language is the least of your worries. It's not even an issue. Just infrequent uses of godd*mn and sh*t. That's it. CSM is also wrong about the movie. I thought the movie was really good. There was enough kills, suspense, and it clocks at the perfect time. Overall, Friday the 13th is a perfect slasher flick. I would recommend it to age 15+. Shoot even kids could see it. CSM doesn't know what they're talking about.
Adult Written bygrande July 25, 2015

A classic

I'm a 12 year old kid who loves horror movies and it just annoys me seeing parents like, "Oh way to scary", shut up okay. This movie is a total classic with much loved gore. Remember this was made in 1980 so stop hating saying it's cheesy when this really is what started the horror genre. This movie is full of jump scares and classical settings. Just enjoy the movie and shut up parents and kids.
Kid, 12 years old December 4, 2010

Sex, Drugs, Blood, Oh My!

I was really excited when I walked out of Blockbust, clutching Friday the 13th in my arms. When I finished it, I didn't know why I wanted to see it. First of all, Pamela Voorhees has too much character, she was young. She should have been like she was portrayed as in Freddy Vs. Jason (though it was realeased 20 years later), a white haired, scratchy voiced, crazy old fart that she wasn't in the original. She actually didn't seem crazy. Young kids should not watch this as their is too much violence (done with stunning visual effects at least), too much sex, and no good messages whatsoever, as the campers are all sex-craving teenagers with a love for Strip Monopoly and dope. But don't worry young children, it isn't even a good film.
Adult Written byGrangerGirl July 26, 2015

Less scary than John Carpenter's Halloween (1978)

I just watched this. Honestly I was more frightened by Halloween (1978) because that killer has a creepy mask and is indestructible. In "Friday the 13th" the killer is an older woman. I do not find that scary at all. The score was reminiscent of Hitchcock's 'Psycho.' There was some bloodshed, but half the kills are off-screen. And by today's standards, this film's special makeup/effects are a bit hokey. Also there is NO nudity; NONE of the sex is graphic. As for language: no F-words, one or two G*d damits, & maybe one sh*t. Beware the jump scare at the end with the girl in the canoe. That's all folks!
Teen, 15 years old Written bygranth August 8, 2014

dont go camping on the 13th

Friday the 13th is the first in a series of films about a serial killer killing kids a a "cursed" camp. The movie doesn't have much language. For a movie made in the 80's this is a pretty brutal movie.There are teens killed, a disfigured kid drowns in flashbacks and there are sexual scenes between most of the camp councilors.
Teen, 14 years old Written byFILMCRITIC500 February 24, 2013

creepy slasher flick has low blood and little sex, but is still gory

a true masterpiece of horror, Friday the 13th is your perfect movie for a teenage sleep-over at midnight. asides for being a great film overall, it employs a chilling atmosphere, handheld-ish camera work, and well organized scares. but the violence and lewd behavior in this slasher flick make it too intense for younger horror buffs. this freaky movie has low violence and blood. what it does contain are several killings, a drowning, an axe to the face, throat slittings, stabbing, an arrow to the chest, and machete decapitation. all the murders involve spurting blood, and the decapitation scene shows the head flying in slow motion, with blood, tissue, and spine insides visible. dead bodies are seen smeared in blood, have arrows in them, or have open cut wounds. asides for the bloody violence, is an on-screen sex scene (no nudity asides from one bare breast) the counselors use moderate to mild words such as 1 s**t and uses of h**l and d**n. one characters smokes briefly. jump scares are abound.
Kid, 11 years old July 27, 2011

How is this generally considered to be violent?

How is this generally considered to be violent? The most violent scene is of a person getting decapitated. The Human Centipede features a graphic depiction of people getting sewn together. Why is it even considered violent in '80? A Clockwork Orange featured a graphic depiction of rape & it was made 9 years before Friday The 13th. Don't let this reviewers opinion fool you. It isn't violent. It's the perfect horror movie for younger kids. It appeals more to kids than Halloween. It's hardly scary, & not violent either. Friday The 13th is the 1 successful Halloween clone. I recommend it to younger kids. In conclusion, Friday The 13th is a fun slasher movie. I give it what would be the equivalent of a PG-13. I honestly can't believe it's still a R18 in Australia.
Teen, 16 years old Written bydavidguitar15..... March 21, 2011
Great movie...not as bad as common sense says
Teen, 17 years old Written byNuno17xD October 3, 2010
Cooooool, AWESOME !~ but not for Kids, Ok for older teens
Adult Written bycallofduty5 September 25, 2010

Jason's revenge

If you liked nightmare on elm street you will like this too a little bit violent nothing ott which makes film watchable and good.
Teen, 15 years old Written byLongRangeShadow October 15, 2009

Common Sense Epic Fail

AHA, common sense, you have no taste. I've suspected it long, but now it is proven. I'm 15 and I know this is a classic. And "No Kids" gimme a break. Is this site run by 82-year-old women? And I'm a pretty reasonable reviewer for being a kid, too.
Adult Written byconcatsanddogs101 March 8, 2016

Not as good as HALLOWEEN or A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET, but still a classic

FRIDAY THE 13th is a pretty well made slasher film. When it was released, critics were revolted by the violence only because they haven't been introduced to this much before. Now it is considered a modern classic for good reasons. The film isn't that violent like CMS says it is. I'm just here to tell you the truth about this movie. During a pretty-lengthy, but not gratuitous sex scene, there are close-ups of a young man's buttocks. The girl squeezes it a couple times. The girl's bare breast is revealed in post sex for nearly 2 seconds. Earlier in the movie a girl and a boy are making out until, they are interrupted. The violence is not over-excessive. Examples are an axe in the head and an arrow through the throat (blood squirts from the wound). The worst language gets is a character saying sh*t a couple times. Characters occasionally do drugs and smoke a couple time. The movie is filmed in a very creepy and suspenseful way instead of kill after kill. This movie is a definite classic from the 80s when horror was basically dead.
Adult Written bySuperGuy25 March 1, 2016

An excellent movie - although not scary

DO NOT listen to Common Sense Media.! There are only two sex scenes, both not explicit. There is nothing SO sadistic about this movie. Yes, there are a few gory deaths but that's it. Comparing to what movies are nowdays, it's no that bad after all. There is no major swearing but an occasional "s**t". There are no drugs either. What I think is that it is a great movie with a great plot and fabulous special effects. It is not scary, though but still a must see for a horror movie fan. I think this is great movie for mature kids of 11 and up.
Adult Written byfonzieg April 3, 2015

Dated, but still a good horror film to watch around Halloween!

Slasher movies, oh how i enjoy and love them! Friday the 13th is my favourite slasher franchise, and here is the 1st one. All of my dad's friends say this is the best one, but is it really? No it's not! My favourite ones are 4 and 6! There is plenty of graphic kills to satisfy horror fans, and i'm a horror fan! But, the slow pacing in the movie may bore some people, but i was never bored, the reason this isn't the best one is because it does not hold up to today's standards like most of the sequels do! A lot of the stuff looks dated and cheesy! Other wise, it's a fun horror film to watch around as a Halloween tradition, but i recommend the sequels more!
Kid, 11 years old April 20, 2014

Are you crazy, commonsense media?

this is one of the greatest slashers of all time! This movie has nothing more than brief nudity and IMPLIED sex! It has less sexual content than the original Halloween, and that got a 16 and up! No kids? This movie is only graphically violent, has moderate drug use, very low sexual content, and is very good. my rating: Sex/Nudity: 3/10 female breasts and buttocks are very briefly seen Violence/Gore: 10/10 very violent, probably the only thing you should worry about when letting your child watch this movie. Profanity: 3/10 Maybe 1 or 2 f words, very tame. Alcohol/Drugs/Smoking: 6/10 Moderate references to getting stoned, not too explicit Frightening/Intense scenes: 10/10 Very scary and violent
Parent of a 11 year old Written bymikeisawesome123 January 27, 2011

So Cheesy!!!

This movie is very cheesy and un-realistic. To tell you the truth, my son watched it and got bored!! And usually, he loves horror movies!!! I say if you have a son who's like 10 years old and they want to watch it, let them. They won't be scared. Minimal blood. The only way it's scary is the fact that people kind of jump out. The drug usage is probably the worst thing about it. The sex isn't so bad. The language is nothing.
Teen, 16 years old Written byooodlekanoodle69223 June 24, 2016

Why TF Would CSM Give This Movie 1 Star

Don't Worry Parents. CSM is just overreacting again (as always). I mean, this is one of the greatest movies of all time! And they give it one star?! Sure, there is some violence, but it is campy as hell! And yeah, there is some nudity, but who hasn't seen somebody naked. Overall, CSM just rates the film on how much swearing or violence or pubes are in the film, not the quality. Kids 13 and up should be able to handle this masterpiece!
Kid, 12 years old June 7, 2016
Friday the 13th is a movie that's just okay not the best. It has Violence and gore, sexual references and brief sexual content, not much profanity. The ending isn't really that great but its what it is. I recommend this movie for 16 and older.