All member reviews for Friday the 13th (1980)

Teen, 14 years old Written byAntagonist November 22, 2012

Not as bad or violent as Commonsense says

This film is actually a scary horror classic. As far as violence goes, there's nothing out of the ordinary. Anyone 13+ can handle it
Kid, 11 years old January 9, 2009

Friday the 13th is a decent slasher flick and is actually worth seeing

Now don't listen to Common Sense Media. They are wrong about the movie and it's content. There were only two sex scenes and they weren't even that graphic. A character mentions 'strip monopoly' but you only see her in bra and panties. You don't see any shots of nudity. For violence, there were some violent scenes but they weren't over-the-top and not too gory either. The language is the least of your worries. It's not even an issue. Just infrequent uses of godd*mn and sh*t. That's it. CSM is also wrong about the movie. I thought the movie was really good. There was enough kills, suspense, and it clocks at the perfect time. Overall, Friday the 13th is a perfect slasher flick. I would recommend it to age 15+. Shoot even kids could see it. CSM doesn't know what they're talking about.
Kid, 11 years old July 27, 2011

How is this generally considered to be violent?

How is this generally considered to be violent? The most violent scene is of a person getting decapitated. The Human Centipede features a graphic depiction of people getting sewn together. Why is it even considered violent in '80? A Clockwork Orange featured a graphic depiction of rape & it was made 9 years before Friday The 13th. Don't let this reviewers opinion fool you. It isn't violent. It's the perfect horror movie for younger kids. It appeals more to kids than Halloween. It's hardly scary, & not violent either. Friday The 13th is the 1 successful Halloween clone. I recommend it to younger kids. In conclusion, Friday The 13th is a fun slasher movie. I give it what would be the equivalent of a PG-13. I honestly can't believe it's still a R18 in Australia.
Teen, 16 years old Written bydavidguitar15..... March 21, 2011

Great movie...not as bad as common sense says
Kid, 12 years old December 4, 2010

Sex, Drugs, Blood, Oh My!

I was really excited when I walked out of Blockbust, clutching Friday the 13th in my arms. When I finished it, I didn't know why I wanted to see it. First of all, Pamela Voorhees has too much character, she was young. She should have been like she was portrayed as in Freddy Vs. Jason (though it was realeased 20 years later), a white haired, scratchy voiced, crazy old fart that she wasn't in the original. She actually didn't seem crazy. Young kids should not watch this as their is too much violence (done with stunning visual effects at least), too much sex, and no good messages whatsoever, as the campers are all sex-craving teenagers with a love for Strip Monopoly and dope. But don't worry young children, it isn't even a good film.
Teen, 17 years old Written byNuno17xD October 3, 2010

Cooooool, AWESOME !~ but not for Kids, Ok for older teens
Teen, 15 years old Written byLongRangeShadow October 15, 2009

Common Sense Epic Fail

AHA, common sense, you have no taste. I've suspected it long, but now it is proven. I'm 15 and I know this is a classic. And "No Kids" gimme a break. Is this site run by 82-year-old women? And I'm a pretty reasonable reviewer for being a kid, too.
Kid, 11 years old April 20, 2014

Are you crazy, commonsense media?

this is one of the greatest slashers of all time! This movie has nothing more than brief nudity and IMPLIED sex! It has less sexual content than the original Halloween, and that got a 16 and up! No kids? This movie is only graphically violent, has moderate drug use, very low sexual content, and is very good. my rating: Sex/Nudity: 3/10 female breasts and buttocks are very briefly seen Violence/Gore: 10/10 very violent, probably the only thing you should worry about when letting your child watch this movie. Profanity: 3/10 Maybe 1 or 2 f words, very tame. Alcohol/Drugs/Smoking: 6/10 Moderate references to getting stoned, not too explicit Frightening/Intense scenes: 10/10 Very scary and violent
Teen, 14 years old Written byFILMCRITIC500 February 24, 2013

creepy slasher flick has low blood and little sex, but is still gory

a true masterpiece of horror, Friday the 13th is your perfect movie for a teenage sleep-over at midnight. asides for being a great film overall, it employs a chilling atmosphere, handheld-ish camera work, and well organized scares. but the violence and lewd behavior in this slasher flick make it too intense for younger horror buffs. this freaky movie has low violence and blood. what it does contain are several killings, a drowning, an axe to the face, throat slittings, stabbing, an arrow to the chest, and machete decapitation. all the murders involve spurting blood, and the decapitation scene shows the head flying in slow motion, with blood, tissue, and spine insides visible. dead bodies are seen smeared in blood, have arrows in them, or have open cut wounds. asides for the bloody violence, is an on-screen sex scene (no nudity asides from one bare breast) the counselors use moderate to mild words such as 1 s**t and uses of h**l and d**n. one characters smokes briefly. jump scares are abound.
Teen, 15 years old Written byeazy__breezy June 11, 2015

One star? Really commonsensemedia

Isn't even that bad. Its not the greatest movie ever, duh but its far from the worst. The sexual stuff is the only concern here, the rest is fine for 14 and up
Teen, 13 years old Written byyoulouzer26 March 22, 2015

Amazing but innapropiate!

Very entertaining and funny! Tons of sexual activity, underaged smoking, and gore. There is plenty of swearing as well.
Teen, 14 years old Written byDuckCommander13 December 5, 2014

It is appropriate for younger viewers

This is a famous slasher film. There is two sex scenes but nothing is shown except maybe a breast. They play strip monopoly and are in their underwear. No uses of F***, 1 or 2 uses of S***, and G******, and finally a few uses of D***. Jack smokes a little but i soon killed. There is quite a bit of blood and some decapitation that is shown. But that part isn't that realistic. if your kids a very mature at 12 and know it's fake it's fine. But this was so awesome!
Teen, 15 years old Written byrave day November 3, 2014

Friday The 13th

Sex 5/10 Violence 7.5/10 Language 2/10
Kid, 9 years old October 15, 2014

friday the 13th

i think it is fine a tad bit sexy
Teen, 13 years old Written by2jayz September 5, 2014

The remake was better than this!

I liked the remake better than this. This is one of the worst horror movies besides Childs Play. Now there is surprisingly no language. The violence is usual for an 80's slasher, might be fake for some. There is one sex scene and characters play strip monopoly. Brief partial nudity. A character smokes.
Teen, 15 years old Written bygranth August 8, 2014

dont go camping on the 13th

Friday the 13th is the first in a series of films about a serial killer killing kids a a "cursed" camp. The movie doesn't have much language. For a movie made in the 80's this is a pretty brutal movie.There are teens killed, a disfigured kid drowns in flashbacks and there are sexual scenes between most of the camp councilors.
Teen, 14 years old Written bybobby clare May 24, 2014

my review of this movie

Other kids say its 13 plus, but I think this movie is inappropriate for 13 year olds because there is a bit of blood splashing here and there. But the main reason I think 15 plus is because in 1 scene it shows a womans breast and I personally think at 13 your too young to see things like that. If its a 14 year old I think they can watch it but with an adult watching with them. If its 15 year old and over I think there ok to watch it on their own!
Teen, 14 years old Written byrating_guy May 11, 2014

Classic

This movie is a classic horror slasher with good scares. This is a really good movie for horror fans R: Bloody horror violence and images, sexuality including nudity, and for some language and drug material
Teen, 16 years old Written byyellowblossomflower February 8, 2014

Well, I thought it was exciting...

Common Sense Media, seriously? I honestly enjoyed this movie. Lots of intense, violent, horror, moments, this is a great film if you're into that kind of stuff! Better than the remake, anyway.
Teen, 14 years old Written byCWG1 October 28, 2013

Classics are Classics and that is that!

This is a classic horror film, and shouldn't be down sized. I mean it is cheesy but who cares it is one of the first and is one of the greatest slasher films ever. This movie was not gory or violent enough to deserve an NC-17 rating. I have seen many other R movies that deserve it, but this one not so much. here is a sex scene not graphically shown and it is very brief as well as a very brief glimpse of a breast in this scene. Another scene is a group of people play strip monopoly and they get down to there underwear, but then are interrupted. Tame language only a few F and S words. Pause for 11.