All member reviews for Fried Green Tomatoes

Stirring, sizzling serving of female empowerment.

Adult Written byLowe's man February 22, 2016

on the right side of history

Those who think or like to think that things were hunky-dory in this country before the 1960s and think that this was a nation filled with solid marriages until then will not be comforted by this movie, as it shows that spousal abuse and other problems that we associate with modern life existed in the 1930s as well. Ruth and Idgy were very brave to stand up to Ruth's abusive husband Frank. Women were empowered at a time when it was not popular for women to be portrayed this way. While racism was tolerated then, those who tolerated such behavior were portrayed in a negative light, as they should've been. Idgy, Ruth and those who championed the rights of blacks were rightly portrayed positively- and this was in the Southeast! Moreover, when Ninnie told Evelyn about her own life, she said that she kept her retarded son at a time when it would not have been popular or advisable to do so. When Ninnie told the story of Idgy and Ruth to Evelyn, she helped Evelyn deal with her own abusive husband. It must also be said that Ruth helped Idgy come out of herself. Idgy was there for Ruth until the day she died. This movie gives viewers a rough but general idea of life in the Southeast in the 1930s, even if in just an isolated case.
Teen, 16 years old Written bydanya t November 9, 2014

Phenomenal movie....

This was an amazing movie...though it does have some violence it is all easily explained and simple to follow. It has a very positive message and is very entertaining!
Parent Written byconstantvigilance June 26, 2011

Fried Green Tomatoes

Good movie for older teens. Short scenes of domestic abuse and racial violence make the movie a little intense. A few sexual comments.
Adult Written byPoetic Ramblings January 8, 2014

A good adaptation of my favorite novel

While this movie glosses over the issues of gender, sexuality, and race at the center of Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe it is still wonderful. Missing: Idgie and Ruth's love story, Idgie's folk hero status, Eva's 3 legged dog, Idgie's bout with alcoholism, Evelyn's neurosis and transformation, Big George's back story, and much more.
Adult Written byNena1011 March 12, 2012

Inspirational Story

I think this story tells a wonderful story about a friendship that will never die. I love the way she stands up for herself and for her loved ones. She never backs down and believes in others. This story teaches not only to value what you have, but it also teaches us what things were really like in that time period. It is truely an inspirational story and I highly recommend it.
Kid, 12 years old August 9, 2011

Hilarious!!!!!

Great movie preteens and teens dont think it is terrible only because its old. It is great.
Kid, 11 years old December 13, 2010

awesome

very good movie,but they missed the part where lady's talk about vigina's.
Adult Written byluella August 23, 2010

Perfect for preteens!

This movie is amazing! Best ever! But, there was racism.
Teen, 13 years old Written bylainilala July 27, 2010

My favorite movie

This has been my favorite movie sense I was 8..
Kid, 9 years old November 21, 2008

Great Movie!!

This movie is about an old lady that tells stories about her exciting life with her friend. The language isn't that bad the worst it can get is the b-word. There is not one sex scene and nothing even about it. There is no blood or gore. It's a pretty good movie and I suggest it.