All member reviews for From up on Poppy Hill

Inspiring, romantic coming-of-age tale about '60s teens.

Parent of a 8 and 10 year old Written bykhancock0 May 21, 2013

Uplifting, engaging story with beautiful animation

This is a beautifully animated story about maintaining traditions while also embracing the future, and about the power of young people when they are dedicated to a cause. It takes place in post WWII Tokyo, where the adults are trying to move forward while the young people (early high school age) want to keep their old but beautiful clubhouse. They kids eventually persuade the adults. The colors are gorgeous and the characters interesting in their independence and sense of responsibility--the lead girl gets up early to cook for the boarders in her home while her mom works in the US. They are positive role models. There's a bit of romance. The setting gave us an opportunity to talk about WWII and Japan. My 8 and 10 year old girls loved it and want to see it again.
Adult Written bymimijunebug April 6, 2013

Good Job Studio Ghibli

I think that it is romantic and I think Studio Ghibli put a lot of hard work into it!
Parent of a 5, 7, and 12 year old Written byalanteew May 8, 2013

Another Ghibli home run

A spectacular film beautifully animated, with solid, decent characters and a moving story. Not for adrenaline junkies.
Adult Written bynduns November 17, 2013

Well, Goro, you might have some potential yet

Oh wait, Hayao actually helped him with this one. Even so, this is a very well-done film. It's intelligently-written, very believable and even tackles a very serious subject matter in a way that's not hamfisted and doesn't make the movie feel more for an older crowd. (Said subject being possible incest) Like most films from Ghibli, it does pace itself slowly, but in a way, that makes it kind of relaxing and refreshing. This is a very good film with good characters, good writing, great visuals and good music.
Kid, 11 years old October 17, 2015

Beautiful

Yet another fantastic movie from the animation kings Studio Ghibli. The story is interesting and inspiring. You'll love it, though they do hint at some mature themes that might be confusing to some children.
Teen, 17 years old Written by_____________ August 29, 2015
Adult Written byOliviaReviewsIt December 23, 2015

Dull Romance/Mystery from Ghibli Disappoints

From Up On Poppy Hill is a 90 minute long story of two teenage friends by the names of Umi and Shun whose pasts seem to have an interesting connection. They begin to develop romantic feelings for one another but after a strange revelation they are unsure about whether or not what they're doing is right. The story advances at an extremely slow pace, with many repetitive scenes. (I have yet to understand why this movie gets such great reviews.) While the movie is completely clean for audiences of all ages, it was meant for older teens/adults and will definitely not keep your kids engaged.
Teen, 13 years old Written byrebo344 July 18, 2015

Very romantic and heartfelt film.

From up on Poppy Hill was another great anime flick.
Kid, 12 years old January 19, 2014

A turn for Studio Ghibli... for better or worse?

Most kids like Ghibli. Most adults like Ghibli. So what if your first Ghibli was in your preteens? You wont like Ghibli. I don't like Ghibli, because I started too late/too early. But this movie is NOTHING LIKE other Ghibli. So I like it. It goes away from the Imagination and goes to historical fiction. And it's a good historical fiction at that. Ok for 9 year olds, maybe 8 year olds.
Kid, 9 years old December 22, 2013

I really liked this movie, even though it's mostly romance like that guy said "their so hot".
Teen, 14 years old Written bylaurensb September 2, 2013

A Hidden Gem

I loved this movie because it is different from most other Studio Ghibli movies. It has an interesting twist, and the two main characters actually confess their love for each other, unlike most others where it is implied. It is a little sad but also has a nice feel to it. The message is nice. It's short and sweet and you should definitely give it a try if you liked his other movies.