All member reviews for Frozen

Wintry Disney musical is fabulous celebration of sisterhood.

Educator and Parent Written bySunnyCA November 27, 2013

Good family movie for the holiday weekend

This was a good movie overall. I enjoyed how the "true love" message played out in a different way than usual. There is no real villain in the movie, and limited violence, but my 4-year old did get scared by the ice monster and wolves; there is also a scene where a girl punches a boy, which he didn't like. It felt more like a broadway musical than a typical cartoon film, but it was a nice change. I thought it was more of a girl movie, but all four boys I had with me (ages 4-11) really enjoyed it and were humming the tunes on the way home.
Teen, 16 years old Written byrebma97 November 27, 2013

Review for the novelization

I really loved the idea and all, but it just felt like it was going too fast. SPOILER ALERT besides the novelization, though, both it and the movie seemed to have just made Hans evil just for the sake of a twist. I mean it's definitely different, but it could have been done better, in my opinion. END OF SPOILER but otherwise I liked it. I loved the theme of the two sisters learning about bonding and love, and Elsa's character is interesting with her sort-of-tragic story. Violence: Elsa and Anna's parents die in the beginning of the story. Elsa accidentally hurts Anna with her powers twice--once when they're kids and another time when they're adults. Also, Elsa creates dangerous obstacles with her powers, such as a giant ice man. An evil duke sends his men after Elsa to lock her up, and later kill her. Sex: A subplot of the story revolves around Anna finding her true love, but it's not the main focus of the story and is tame.
Parent Written byMahJonggMom November 30, 2013

Sisters and winter magic!

*This does contain mild spoilers about the plot.* We saw Frozen 3D with our six year old who is generally a bit sensitive to violence and sadness in movies. (We read one of the simple picture books of the story with her beforehand.) There are wolves and a monster here as well as guns, none of which bothered her. She was too excited about the marvelous sisters, one with wintery magic and the other with pluck and confidence enough to inspire. The parents die early in the story (though the depiction is subtle) and the lives of both Anna and Elsa are threatened during the film. The female characters are still anorexic and one of them falls in love and accepts a proposal after an afternoon but it was nice to see her also save a male character more than once. With all of the above noted I have to say that the movie is beautiful. My daughter was taken by the animation and music and loved the ending and the strong bond between the sisters. She identified with the mishaps and strengths of both characters, particularly the enthusiasm, foibles and bravery of Anna. There's romance between some of the characters but the central relationship of the film is wonderfully between Anna and Elsa. Add a bit of winter magic and it was a truly a joyful movie experience.
Parent Written byakparent November 29, 2013

Great movie-positive message-a few warnings

I was very pleasantly suprised by this movie! It was actually really good. A throwback to the Aladdin or Beauty and the Beast days-so expect lots of singing. If you liked Tangled, you will really like this and I think it has an even more positive message than Tangled. In addition, the story is really brought full circle and very little in the way of character development is left unsaid. Concerns for me: There is a scary snow monster that is far to scary, but plays a shortish part. The first 20 minutes sets up the story, but is VERY sad (we were all crying), but the Princess Anna character does a great job of pulling you back into her present reality, rather than dwelling on the past. When one of the princesses has a turning point in the story-they really transform her look from this sweet, well dressed, classy innocent young woman to a very sexy look, including a very tight dress with a slit up the leg. I think the worst part of the movie would be the old school mickey mouse short that was played at the beginning. Kids will laugh at the slapstick style humor, but it is extremely violent! So warning on that for sure. Overall a great movie that we will watch again!
Parent of a 7 and 11 year old Written bysingj November 29, 2013

Way better than the previews would have you believe!

What a delightful surprise, and what delightful twists and turns the story takes to the refreshingly unconventional ending! One subtle joke about the size of the protagonists' fiancé's feet, and a quick response implying that size doesn't matter - right over the heads of the little ones, but a slightly naughty aside for the adults in the audience. Not too scary. A great movie for girls in particular, with strong female leads and surprisingly deep themes relating to love and fear. Loved it!
Parent Written bymovie-mama November 30, 2013

sisterly love

I like the emphasis on the sister's relationship
Kid, 12 years old November 30, 2013

Different for Disney

Oh what a fresh breath of air. This is a disney movie, but is more on the different side and yet darker. It's not your typical disney "princess" movie where the princess falls in love with prince charming and happily ever after. It has many twists and keeps your interest in watching because of the tension the film brings. It's also brings lots of laughs and original catchy songs. I think one of the best things about the movie is the characters. Elsa isn't exactly a bad guy she just has problems controlling her power and fear. Anna, is a loving sister who doesn't exactly know why her sister keeps hiding herself and she wants to help her. I found the film's animation wonderful too. The ice and snow both looked dazzling! But, I do think the film is somewhat uneven, it felt a little rushed and a unsatisfying at the ending. Overall, I found the film a pleasant time at the theaters and I think many will too!
Teen, 14 years old Written bybranman894 November 30, 2013

Frozen is Good Even Given it's Demographic

When it comes down to it Frozen has good voice acting, a good story, and nice animation. I wouldn't classify this movie as a musical even though it tries to be because there aren't that many musical numbers. Anyway this movie is funny and overall like I over said in the first sentence it is good as well.
Teen, 17 years old Written byndrwcd November 29, 2013

even guys/males will like this movie(i garantee it)

I'm a 17 year old guy and I thought Frozen was a pretty good movie,heck i might even buy it on DVD/Blu-ray combo pack
Kid, 11 years old November 29, 2013

one of my favorites

it may be disappointing when the parents die in a storm while in a ship and when Hans the good guy is a bad guy and when Anna freezes but not forever its a good movie though
Adult Written bycourtwork December 13, 2013

A Pleasant Surprise

I am pleasantly surprised by this movie. For the most part, it's good clean fun for families and kids. My 7 year old loved it and has been pretending to be Elsa ever since. She said, "You know why I like this movie, Mom? Because there's no prince with a kiss - her sister saves her!" My almost 11 year old son also really enjoyed it. The animation is beautiful, and the characters are well balanced and relevant. Both of my kids loved the character of the snowman, Olaf. The story is sweet, there is no real villain, and the singing is contemporary and lovely. The musical element is also well proportioned - the action and plot are not interrupted by the singing, they are actually enhanced by it. Even for adults, the movie is engaging and entertaining. The positive messages include: don't marry a guy you just met, true love can be sisterly love, and fear is destructive and can turn a person's gift into a curse, but love and acceptance can turn our gifts into beauty. One complex element that is not addressed is that young Elsa remains in fear and isolation because of her parents' reaction to her power, not because of her power itself. A four year old sitting behind us in the theater was whimpering during some of the action scenes; the characters are in peril at times, so little ones may be afraid. The elements I don't care for about this film for kids are: the sisters are very skinny, and Elsa's liberation is unnecessarily sexualized. My 7 year old noticed how skinny the sisters are, and we talked about that they clearly are not meant to be real people because you never see people with giant heads and tiny bodies walking around. Also, as Elsa stops trying to control her powers and uses them to create beauty, she sings the song "Let It Go." During the song and her transformation, her cartoon character is converted from a sad and controlled young woman in a high necked gown into a very sexy character, wearing an updated lower cut, sheer dress, including swishing hips, more makeup, and a knowing expression. The idea that freedom from your fears and converting your gift into beauty means becoming sexy and wearing stilettos while walking around in an ice castle is absurd, especially for little girls. That part demeans the beautiful message it is attempting to convey, in my opinion. Having said that, Frozen is an improvement on the usual itinerary of the Princess story line. I recommend this movie for families, and I believe it will be right up there with the other Disney favorites. The powers that be will make a mint releasing this just before Christmas, because little girls will want to dress up as Elsa and Anna, and have the toys associated with the movie. All in all, this movie is great, and an improvement on the usual Disney theme, but the misguided message of sexy = liberated for women, and consumerism are still very prevalent.
Parent of a 2 and 4 year old Written byNLHolly December 7, 2013

Great movie, a little dark and complex at times

Overall the movie was excellent. Great music, nice humour, strong storyline. Transient scary scenes for my sensitive kids included the boat containing the girls' parents going down at sea, the wolves attacking Kristoff's sled, the Ice Monster, a bit of fighting. There was blessedly little social aggression and name calling relative to many movies (except from Hans at the end). There were many mature themes around unintentional harm (Elsa of Anna), death (of the parents, a character sentenced to death, attempts to kill characters, a character who almost dies), and the fragility of relationships that were confusing for my 4-year-old, over the head of my 2-year-old. My husband and I thought the the vintage Disney pre-show that included Pete lusting after, grabbing, and assaulting Minnie Mouse before having a variety of violence visited upon him by Mickey and friends was really awful... but we might be those parents who overthink these things. Our kids seemed to find the physical comedy of it quite funny.
Parent Written bySandripuce December 16, 2013

A few good moments but overal very inconstant movie

I didn't like this movie at all. There is way too much singing at the beginning. I didnt like the role that girls play; Anna looks like a young naive girl who'se goal in life is to meet a men and fall in love. She meets a boy and the same night, falls in love and decides to get married! And even though we are never told the age of the character, I assumed Anna was around 15-16; the idea that such a young girl would get married is quite disturbing. Many times, the character have innapropriate and corny outfits (especially Elsa's white dress in her ice castle). The little snow man is very funny and saves the show but somewhat, he doesn't seem to fit with the rest of the movie. Overall, it is a very inconstant movie and I wouldnt recommand it, especially if you have daughters and like me you try to select movies with positive female characters.
Parent of a 8 year old Written byAmoretti December 2, 2013

Lovely family entertainment.

We went to see it this weekend with my 8 year old son. He was on the edge of his seat! There is some violence in the form of a scary snow monster but nothing the kids haven't seen before (unless they are very sheltered). Perhaps very little ones would be scared but I don't think over fives would. The music is really beautiful and enhances the story, which was a nice surprise as I'm not a fan of musicals usually. As others have already said, the story is full of positive values like the relationship between the two sisters and how Anna saves herself and her sister and doesn't wait for a man to do it. It also has a warning not to get engaged to someone you just met. Overall a lovely family viewing experience. Oh, and my son remembered the lyrics and music to one of the songs the next day! That never happens. It isn't just a "girl" movie; boys also enjoy it, even those who are usually into video games and typical boy stuff.
Parent of a 6 year old Written byVermillyn December 17, 2013

Parental deaths caused anxiety

without giving anything away, the parents both die at the begging of the film, leaving two sisters almost entirely alone in a castle. Within a week of seeing this film, my 6 1/2 year old started obsessing about us both dying, and what would happen to him (who would care for him). Until now, he's always seemed well adjusted, so I was surprised to see him reduced to tears by anxiety. In fact, it took me two weeks to realize what had caused his fears. Whilst not saying it's not age appropriate, I'd recommend you think about the developmental stage of your child before seeing this film. By 6-7 reality is being cemented and the more realistic events can be generalized to oneself. Death is again touched on later in the film, and it's not natural causes.... I've had to field several questions on this front, too. On a personal note, I felt this film was created in tandem with the musical theater production that's sure to arise. The characters burst into song unnecessarily, and I found this tedious. My son enjoyed the film at the time, but (apart from the ongoing anxiety) forgot it soon afterwards.
Parent Written bylauralibby88 December 2, 2013

Frozen is a Must for the whole Family!

This is one of the best Disney Films to come along in awhile. Like Beauty and the Beast and Little Mermaid in music but an updated theme. There's less violence and scare factor in this one, though still a few scenes. And sure there's a love angel, but the story is about the importance of family (specifically sisters) and not so much about the need to find true love. The actual villains are less seen in this film. It's about finding yourself, being true to yourself, about discovering the good and the bad in life and overcoming obstacles. It was fun to watch for the whole family. My 5 year old son was enchanted and wants to see it again (it's already on his Santa List!), while my Parents were pleasantly surprised with how much they enjoyed it. We didn't see the 3D, and honestly, save your money. The film is gorgeous and you don't need to see it any closer. Take your whole family out and enjoy this new Disney Classic.
Parent of a 7 year old Written bywill'smom December 9, 2013

My son loves this movie!

My son's words as we left: "If this was a book and I was a judge, I'd give it a medal!" (referring to the Caldecot medals his class has been learning about.) We really enjoyed this flick. We went with another mom and son dup and both boys had a wonderful time. Hearing after this was a "Disney Princess" movie, the boys were shocked and argued it couldn't be, because they enjoyed it too much! *Spoiler Alert* Having the movie focus so deeply on the love between the girls and showing the primary heroine effectively save herself through loving her sister was a phenomenal break from the passive love stories of the past. This is movie worth seeing with your kids, no matter their gender, and then discussing the impact of love and family. Side note: just today (almost a week after seeing it), my son asked if we can buy it on dvd when it comes out so that he can show it to his dad. :)
Parent Written byDiscoMama December 1, 2013

Best of the Disney princess movies

Great movie--exciting with daring sisters Anna and Elsa. It was loved by the kids and 60 year olds who saw the movie. Kids loved the music, characters and beauty of the snowy winter forest as well as the silly snowman. A fair amount of danger/peril in the movie but it didn't seem to bother even our youngest who is 5. (The CSM notes on violence include all the necessary details.)
Teen, 13 years old Written bynathar31 December 1, 2013

Shocked

I thought that it was just going to be a boring princess story with no humor at all, but it is one of the best movies all year.
Educator and Parent of a 5, 7, and 16 year old Written byBookNerdMom December 27, 2013

Underwhelmed

Call me cynical, but I just don't see why commonsensemedia and so many other reviewers are raving about this film. It's not awful, but there are quite a few weak points. First and foremost, as a parent of daughters (ages 5 & 7), I think the way the female leads are presented is problematic. Both are typical Disney princesses--pretty, doe-eyed, wasp-waisted ingenues. While the focus on sibling love and loyalty instead of romantic love is a redeeming feature, I don't think that erases the fact that girls still get the message loud-and-clear, that being pretty is the most important thing about being a girl. The film also takes kids on an emotional roller coaster. My 7 year old was fine, but my 5 year old was a teary mess at the end. Why is it with Disney films that every emotion has to be so intense? It's the cinematic equivalent of reading a novel written in all-caps. As a film, there are also some significant flaws. For example, a significant character's sudden personality change seems like a forced plot device to bring the film to its climax. The film showed off Disney's might as an animation maestro, and sales of Frozen merchandise will clearly fill Disney's coffers. It seems clear that these are the two elements most important to Disney--with storytelling a distant third.