Wintry Disney musical is fabulous celebration of sisterhood.

Teen, 16 years old Written byrebma97 November 27, 2013

Wonderful film

This was such a good movie. There's a reason everyone talks about it: it was great! I loved the theme of the two sisters learning about bonding and love. Anna is adorable in her awkwardness, and Elsa's character is interesting with her sort-of-tragic story. Violence: Elsa and Anna's parents die in the beginning of the story. Elsa accidentally hurts Anna with her powers twice--once when they're kids and another time when they're adults. Also, Elsa creates dangerous obstacles with her powers, such as a giant ice man. An evil duke sends his men after Elsa to lock her up, and later kill her. Sex: A subplot of the story revolves around Anna finding her true love, but it's not the main focus of the story and is tame.
Educator and Parent of a 5 and 7 year old Written byBookNerdMom December 27, 2013

Underwhelmed

Call me cynical, but I just don't see why commonsensemedia and so many other reviewers are raving about this film. It's not awful, but there are quite a few weak points. First and foremost, as a parent of daughters (ages 5 & 7), I think the way the female leads are presented is problematic. Both are typical Disney princesses--pretty, doe-eyed, wasp-waisted ingenues. While the focus on sibling love and loyalty instead of romantic love is a redeeming feature, I don't think that erases the fact that girls still get the message loud-and-clear, that being pretty is the most important thing about being a girl. The film also takes kids on an emotional roller coaster. My 7 year old was fine, but my 5 year old was a teary mess at the end. Why is it with Disney films that every emotion has to be so intense? It's the cinematic equivalent of reading a novel written in all-caps. As a film, there are also some significant flaws. For example, a significant character's sudden personality change seems like a forced plot device to bring the film to its climax. The film showed off Disney's might as an animation maestro, and sales of Frozen merchandise will clearly fill Disney's coffers. It seems clear that these are the two elements most important to Disney--with storytelling a distant third.
Educator and Parent Written bySunnyCA November 27, 2013

Good family movie for the holiday weekend

This was a good movie overall. I enjoyed how the "true love" message played out in a different way than usual. There is no real villain in the movie, and limited violence, but my 4-year old did get scared by the ice monster and wolves; there is also a scene where a girl punches a boy, which he didn't like. It felt more like a broadway musical than a typical cartoon film, but it was a nice change. I thought it was more of a girl movie, but all four boys I had with me (ages 4-11) really enjoyed it and were humming the tunes on the way home.
Parent of a 5, 7, and 9 year old Written byDad__ January 7, 2014

Did I see the same movie as you guys?

Wow, the whole family (Mom, Dad, 5yo, 9yo, 12yo) disliked this one. What is up with the princess going up to the castle and suddenly dressed in a wholly inappropriate way? I would love an animated movie that did not involve becoming orphans. As the parent of an adopted child, it would be nice to have a movie with loving parents for once. I thought the whole concept that the younger sister FINALLY gets a day out and promptly spends it falling in love a lost opportunity. Could she just enjoy the town without having to find a Prince? As an adult I found this painful to sit through.
Parent of a 6 year old Written byVermillyn December 17, 2013

Parental deaths caused anxiety

without giving anything away, the parents both die at the begging of the film, leaving two sisters almost entirely alone in a castle. Within a week of seeing this film, my 6 1/2 year old started obsessing about us both dying, and what would happen to him (who would care for him). Until now, he's always seemed well adjusted, so I was surprised to see him reduced to tears by anxiety. In fact, it took me two weeks to realize what had caused his fears. Whilst not saying it's not age appropriate, I'd recommend you think about the developmental stage of your child before seeing this film. By 6-7 reality is being cemented and the more realistic events can be generalized to oneself. Death is again touched on later in the film, and it's not natural causes.... I've had to field several questions on this front, too. On a personal note, I felt this film was created in tandem with the musical theater production that's sure to arise. The characters burst into song unnecessarily, and I found this tedious. My son enjoyed the film at the time, but (apart from the ongoing anxiety) forgot it soon afterwards.
Parent Written bySandripuce December 16, 2013

A few good moments but overal very inconstant movie

I didn't like this movie at all. There is way too much singing at the beginning. I didnt like the role that girls play; Anna looks like a young naive girl who'se goal in life is to meet a men and fall in love. She meets a boy and the same night, falls in love and decides to get married! And even though we are never told the age of the character, I assumed Anna was around 15-16; the idea that such a young girl would get married is quite disturbing. Many times, the character have innapropriate and corny outfits (especially Elsa's white dress in her ice castle). The little snow man is very funny and saves the show but somewhat, he doesn't seem to fit with the rest of the movie. Overall, it is a very inconstant movie and I wouldnt recommand it, especially if you have daughters and like me you try to select movies with positive female characters.
Adult Written bycourtwork December 13, 2013

A Pleasant Surprise

I am pleasantly surprised by this movie. For the most part, it's good clean fun for families and kids. My 7 year old loved it and has been pretending to be Elsa ever since. She said, "You know why I like this movie, Mom? Because there's no prince with a kiss - her sister saves her!" My almost 11 year old son also really enjoyed it. The animation is beautiful, and the characters are well balanced and relevant. Both of my kids loved the character of the snowman, Olaf. The story is sweet, there is no real villain, and the singing is contemporary and lovely. The musical element is also well proportioned - the action and plot are not interrupted by the singing, they are actually enhanced by it. Even for adults, the movie is engaging and entertaining. The positive messages include: don't marry a guy you just met, true love can be sisterly love, and fear is destructive and can turn a person's gift into a curse, but love and acceptance can turn our gifts into beauty. One complex element that is not addressed is that young Elsa remains in fear and isolation because of her parents' reaction to her power, not because of her power itself. A four year old sitting behind us in the theater was whimpering during some of the action scenes; the characters are in peril at times, so little ones may be afraid. The elements I don't care for about this film for kids are: the sisters are very skinny, and Elsa's liberation is unnecessarily sexualized. My 7 year old noticed how skinny the sisters are, and we talked about that they clearly are not meant to be real people because you never see people with giant heads and tiny bodies walking around. Also, as Elsa stops trying to control her powers and uses them to create beauty, she sings the song "Let It Go." During the song and her transformation, her cartoon character is converted from a sad and controlled young woman in a high necked gown into a very sexy character, wearing an updated lower cut, sheer dress, including swishing hips, more makeup, and a knowing expression. The idea that freedom from your fears and converting your gift into beauty means becoming sexy and wearing stilettos while walking around in an ice castle is absurd, especially for little girls. That part demeans the beautiful message it is attempting to convey, in my opinion. Having said that, Frozen is an improvement on the usual itinerary of the Princess story line. I recommend this movie for families, and I believe it will be right up there with the other Disney favorites. The powers that be will make a mint releasing this just before Christmas, because little girls will want to dress up as Elsa and Anna, and have the toys associated with the movie. All in all, this movie is great, and an improvement on the usual Disney theme, but the misguided message of sexy = liberated for women, and consumerism are still very prevalent.
Parent Written byReikiTerri January 21, 2014

Dissapointed

Many of the other reviews here cover the obvious pros and cons well, but I'm surprised not to see two of the musical numbers mentioned. Early in the film when an accident happens because of the older daughter's "powers", she sings at length about "push it down, don't feel" etc. She even goes to the lengths of wearing gloves her whole life to avoid the issue. Although this comes to resolution an hour later in the film, I thought it was a terrible message about how to deal with things that are scary or emotionally challenging/troubling.. Huge missed opportunity to send a better message to kids about dealing with their differences or challenges openly and in the moment; and talking about your troubles - instead of shoving them down and away and not dealing with them for years. Then later in the film, there's a terrible musical number called "He's Just a Fixer Upper" that basically teaches/promotes the idea that boys are broken - but the right girl can fix them right up. (?!?) Children learn about social constructs from these films, shame on you Disney for not taking the opportunity to introduce a healthier approach to understanding gifts/challenges that individuals have, and gender stereotypes.
Kid, 11 years old December 3, 2013

Some boys might not like it. To much singing in beginning.

Well the reason I give It one star is because there was to much singing and I am so mad at the movies released for little kids because on Friday there was only this or disney on ice and IM A BOY. I hate princesses because I think they are very girly but I liked brave because it was not like other disney princesses. I only like the action Parts. I didn't like the beginning because there was to much singing. When they were singing every word I was hoping my sister was going to fall asleep because we could leave but then it got a little more intense.
Educator and Parent Written byJavabeanMochabean January 6, 2014

Skip the "short" before the beginning of Frozen.

The short animated film (Mickey Mouse) at the beginning was "modernized" to be more graphic. My 4 year old son was so upset by the short that he did not want to stay for the main feature! He said it was too scary and mean. He especially did not like the character popping out of the screen. He also said that he thought Mickey Mouse was supposed to be "nice"? Not for preschoolers! What was Disney thinking? They trashed a classic with the "modernization".
Parent Written byakparent November 29, 2013

Great movie-positive message-a few warnings

I was very pleasantly suprised by this movie! It was actually really good. A throwback to the Aladdin or Beauty and the Beast days-so expect lots of singing. If you liked Tangled, you will really like this and I think it has an even more positive message than Tangled. In addition, the story is really brought full circle and very little in the way of character development is left unsaid. Concerns for me: There is a scary snow monster that is far to scary, but plays a shortish part. The first 20 minutes sets up the story, but is VERY sad (we were all crying), but the Princess Anna character does a great job of pulling you back into her present reality, rather than dwelling on the past. When one of the princesses has a turning point in the story-they really transform her look from this sweet, well dressed, classy innocent young woman to a very sexy look, including a very tight dress with a slit up the leg. I think the worst part of the movie would be the old school mickey mouse short that was played at the beginning. Kids will laugh at the slapstick style humor, but it is extremely violent! So warning on that for sure. Overall a great movie that we will watch again!
Parent of a 2 and 4 year old Written byNLHolly December 7, 2013

Great movie, a little dark and complex at times

Overall the movie was excellent. Great music, nice humour, strong storyline. Transient scary scenes for my sensitive kids included the boat containing the girls' parents going down at sea, the wolves attacking Kristoff's sled, the Ice Monster, a bit of fighting. There was blessedly little social aggression and name calling relative to many movies (except from Hans at the end). There were many mature themes around unintentional harm (Elsa of Anna), death (of the parents, a character sentenced to death, attempts to kill characters, a character who almost dies), and the fragility of relationships that were confusing for my 4-year-old, over the head of my 2-year-old. My husband and I thought the the vintage Disney pre-show that included Pete lusting after, grabbing, and assaulting Minnie Mouse before having a variety of violence visited upon him by Mickey and friends was really awful... but we might be those parents who overthink these things. Our kids seemed to find the physical comedy of it quite funny.
Parent of a 6 year old Written byHoliztic December 13, 2013

Good, but Disney-intense!

Frozen is a really visually beautiful movie with some good messages about sisterly love and connection, I really enjoyed it. However, it has all the high intensity of the Disney movies and I personally do not think it is appropriate for most kids under 6 and only some at 6. My son is nearly 7 and slightly sensitive to media drama, but he handled it pretty well. Not scared, but overwhelmed by the first 20 minutes, which were hard-hitting intensity, darkness, and sadness. I wish these movies weren't quite so serious!
Teen, 13 years old Written bySanjayAndCraig April 22, 2014

I've Got A BUNCH Of Reasons This Movie STINKS! And Here's The Reasons Why!

A couple of YEARS ago Disney wanted to make a movie called THE SNOW QUEEN! But the idea was shelved. After the sucess of Tangled, Disney wanted to make a movie called "Frozen", But MAN I REALLY WANTED 2 SEE THAT! And A few years later I was watching Nickelodeon and I saw a commercial 4 "Frozen" Back then I wanted 2 see that movie,but a month or so later everyone that I knew had already seen it, I thought 2 myself I HAVE TO/GOT TO SEE THIS MOVIE! I asked my sister to take me to the mall by foot, just to see the movie but she got so stubborn, and said no. But around the time I got Pizza from the Target near that particular mall and "Frozen" I sat down in my room and watched it. I Liked the FIRST half of it but after the transition to the other half. I kind of started to think it was stupid. I mean I like Kristoff he's 1 cool dude. And his animal sidekick Sven. And I like Anna because she's an optimist. Olaf ("the comic relief" the snow man on the other hand reminds me of Mojo Jojo from The Powerpuff Girls, Plus Disney stole the name Olaf from one of the greatest villans in A Series Of Unfortunate Events. Hans the main villan is cool for a villan and he's not really that much of a villan just a secondary anti-hero. Elsa, on the other hand is probably the worst character, She's the MAIN Antihero AND the MAIN BAD-GUY! (Although I HATE IT when she REDEEMS herself.) Always shutting people out after she (not) purposely hurts Anna, Creating, A Blizzard, Turning Summer into Winter and Worst of all singing that HORRIBLE song "Let It Go"! During the second half I said to myself "Bah, sounds like a Badly done Snow Queen Disney Version to me," I thought. Boy in the 1st half did those little suckers get back at me. Now Let Me tell you the top 6 reasons on why I think frozen is so lame and stupid. 6: The Characters are so bland and that it needs a little bit more work... like I said before I mean I like Kristoff he's 1 cool dude. And his animal sidekick Sven. And I like Anna because she's an optimist. Olaf ("the comic relief") the snow man on the other hand reminds me of Mojo Jojo from The Powerpuff Girls, Plus Disney stole the name Olaf from one of the greatest villans in A Series Of Unfortunate Events. Hans the main villan is cool for a villan and he's not really that much of a villan just a secondary anti-hero. Elsa, on the other hand is probably the worst character, She's the MAIN Antihero AND the MAIN BAD-GUY! (Although I HATE IT when she REDEEMS herself.) Always shutting people out after she (not) purposely hurts Anna, Creating, A Blizzard, Turning Summer into Winter and Worst of all singing that HORRIBLE song "Let It Go"! ( I'll get to Let it Go in a minute). 5: Disney should have done a better job, I mean critics and random general people say it's great as "The Lion King" but it's NOT! If it was the same level as "The Lion King", It would have been MUCH darker and scarier, have at least one sacrifice, at least ONE FLIGHT sequence, be a Miyazaki-inspired movie, have the main bad-guy have magical powers, have Olaf and Sven tell Anna to not worry in a.... Hakuna Matata fashion, have Anna and Elsa's parents killed in a different way(Like falling off a hill etc.), Have a greater song then "Let It Go", (although Love is An Open Door reminded me my sister and our friends of High School Musical which is a great movie I buy every of it's merchandise at the Target I mentioned earlier tonight also the Love Is An Open Door song is like Hakuna Matata HSM style... by the lyrics Anna: Say goodbye Hans: Say goodbye Both: To the pain of the past We don't have to feel it any more.... see? And the movie would have more responsibility lessons, and it would have a better song than that silly "Let It Go"! So there. 4: "Frozen" deserves less the attention it can get! "Frozen" is an overappreciated movie! It won an Oscar, a Golden Globe, an Annie, a Kids Choice Awards etc. Ever go to the Disney Store sometime? If you do, you've no doubt noticed that about 80% of the merchandise that place has for television shows are for JETIX-airing shows that Disney didn't make. Sheesh! P.S. I'm a huge JETIX fan. and I'm a BOY! All i'm saying is that I want GREAT movies like The Wind Rises, Despicable Me 2, Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs 2, Monsters University etc. to get more attention that that dumb "Frozen"! 4 the 2nd time Sheesh! 3:It's Disney! How could the stoop so low?! SHUT UP! The reason that "Frozen" is so popular is just an attempt by Disney to get more MONEY! That's because unlike some other products Disney's made they were not at the level as the greatest film of all time. 2: Teamo Supremo, Beyblade And Phineas And Ferb are much cooler Disney products. I mean the suckish "Frozen" targets 5 year old girls and Teamo Supremo, Beyblade And Phineas And Ferb etc. target 6-year-old boys I mean those tv shows are MUCH more Awesome! Those shows would win over the stupid "Frozen" Plus Candace from Phineas and Ferb is voiced by Ashley Tisdale (HSM Suite Life Of Zach and Cody). Beyblade was a JETIX show 4 once (since I am a JETIX fan). And Teamo Supremo, Crandall & Brenda make the CUTEST Disney Couple! Nuff Said. Finally the #1 I think "Frozen" sucks is because of the song "Let It Go"! Everytime I hear it it stays in my head! Honestly After "Let It Go" it just started to go downhill. (Although I do like the Demi Lavato version she's dating That 70's Show's Fez!) SERIOUSLY Disney pretend that 'Frozen" was never around so I can get on with my life! 4 the 3rd time Sheesh! Sorry If I offened anyone with the reasons you suck speech 2 "Frozen" I just am so ANGRY at "Frozen"! if there is anyone out there who hates "Frozen" create a Twitter,YouTube,Instagram,FaceBook,Tumblr,Vine,Blog,Pi-ntrest,etc. And Even SKYPE! and call it FrozenHaters and if anyone out there who feels the same way as me on your FrozenHaters page put hashtag #IHateFrozen and on May 1st 2014 we will announce how many people hate "Frozen" I'm not saying I hate Disney I just think they could have done a better job. So until then I'll catch you on the flipside?!
Teen, 13 years old Written bynathar31 December 1, 2013

Shocked

I thought that it was just going to be a boring princess story with no humor at all, but it is one of the best movies all year.
Kid, 12 years old December 29, 2013

Frozen is the best animated movie that I have seen.

It is funny and adventure-filled. It has a positive message, (SPOILERS!!!) and unlike any other Disney princess movie, the act of true love isn't the true love's first kiss, but the love between Anna and Elsa, who are sisters. It gives the positive message that one shouldn't go on what they think is "true love", but they should get to know the person first. (Anna makes that mistake and finds out that Hans betrays her at the worst time.) Anna is a positive role model when she sacrifices herself for Elsa, as is Elsa when she unfreezes Anna because of her love for Anna. The only real romance would be Anna and Kristoff's kiss at the end, but the whole movie wasn't about that. There is some mild violence such as the snow monster and Elsa using her powers to accidentally hurt Anna, but it's okay for kids over 6. (END OF SPOILERS) The songs are really catchy, and Olaf makes this movie funny as well! The story is wonderful and creative, and I would definitely recommend this movie to anyone 7 and above.
Kid, 12 years old November 23, 2014

awful

I mean, it's not inappropriate but it's not... good. It's extremely overrated. No one in the songs know how to sing and they're all cheesy with awful lyrics which just aren't even good at all. Yes, even Let It Go is a stinker in terms of plot and I think was just made for commercials and such. However, at least Idina Menzel or however you spell it is amazing. The plot was bad and was extremely predictable as I knew the ending in about 10 minutes. The characters are all pathetically one dimensional and dim witted, with Anna 'falling in love' in 2 seconds and Elsa going from fearing herself to not caring about screwing everyone over. Don't even get me started on the abusive parents and the out of COMPLETE NOWHERE rock trolls. The ending was stupid and predictable, with Elsa pulling a Harry Potter 3 'I remembered I did it before!' thing but dumber as there is NO reason for how she could magically melt everything all of a sudden. On a side note, how did Elsa get her powers? Why did Anna's hair turn back to brown after earlier she had that white strip in her hair? This plot has more holes than swiss cheese that got shot 3812947982174893718473918749317 times. The only thing that's good in this over hyped commercialized mess is the animation which is breathtaking. And by the way Elsa is NOT the first princess to not need a man as she is A QUEEN. This was THE WORST Disney movie I have EVER seen and my mother agrees as well.
Parent of a 3, 10, and 10 year old Written bychaney79 December 11, 2013

"Pretty" magic is still magic

I feel the need to add my 2 cents about the magic. We are a family that tries to avoid magic/sorcery in our entertainment and this movie was FULL of it. It was "pretty" magic not like some of your darker evil witches. Still if you are a family that avoids magic, avoid this movie. It will suck you in. I also really disliked the first 10 minutes, it was very fast and very sad. The music was beautiful.
Teen, 17 years old Written byndrwcd November 29, 2013

even guys/males will like this movie(i garantee it)

I'm a 17 year old guy and I thought Frozen was a pretty good movie,heck i might even buy it on DVD/Blu-ray combo pack
Parent of a 1 and 6 year old Written bySaraP 1 October 8, 2014

Made for adults

Aside from the adorable characters and great music, the only other good thing is that one sister saves the other. There is cheating, using people, and shunning from parents all through it. It is not a movie that teaches your child that they can count on you and that it is ok to fall in love. It teaches that its ok to entertain feelings for another person when you are committed, and that people will use and abuse you if you give them the chance. Very very sad and very disappointed that people are so blinded by the glitz and publicity and don't really care about the messages that our children are seeing.