Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Go to For Your Family

Parent reviews for Frozen

Wintry Disney musical is fabulous celebration of sisterhood.

Parent of a 5, 7, and 9 year old Written byDad__ January 7, 2014

Did I see the same movie as you guys?

Wow, the whole family (Mom, Dad, 5yo, 9yo, 12yo) disliked this one. What is up with the princess going up to the castle and suddenly dressed in a wholly inappropriate way? I would love an animated movie that did not involve becoming orphans. As the parent of an adopted child, it would be nice to have a movie with loving parents for once. I thought the whole concept that the younger sister FINALLY gets a day out and promptly spends it falling in love a lost opportunity. Could she just enjoy the town without having to find a Prince?

As an adult I found this painful to sit through.
Adult Written bySandripuce December 16, 2013

A few good moments but overal very inconstant movie

I didn't like this movie at all. There is way too much singing at the beginning. I didnt like the role that girls play; Anna looks like a young naive girl who'se goal in life is to meet a men and fall in love. She meets a boy and the same night, falls in love and decides to get married! And even though we are never told the age of the character, I assumed Anna was around 15-16; the idea that such a young girl would get married is quite disturbing. Many times, the character have innapropriate and corny outfits (especially Elsa's white dress in her ice castle). The little snow man is very funny and saves the show but somewhat, he doesn't seem to fit with the rest of the movie.
Overall, it is a very inconstant movie and I wouldnt recommand it, especially if you have daughters and like me you try to select movies with positive female characters.
Parent of a 1 and 6 year old Written bySaraP 1 October 8, 2014

Made for adults

Aside from the adorable characters and great music, the only other good thing is that one sister saves the other. There is cheating, using people, and shunning from parents all through it. It is not a movie that teaches your child that they can count on you and that it is ok to fall in love. It teaches that its ok to entertain feelings for another person when you are committed, and that people will use and abuse you if you give them the chance. Very very sad and very disappointed that people are so blinded by the glitz and publicity and don't really care about the messages that our children are seeing.

Parent of a 5 and 7 year old Written byBookNerdMom December 27, 2013

Underwhelmed

Call me cynical, but I just don't see why commonsensemedia and so many other reviewers are raving about this film. It's not awful, but there are quite a few weak points. First and foremost, as a parent of daughters (ages 5 & 7), I think the way the female leads are presented is problematic. Both are typical Disney princesses--pretty, doe-eyed, wasp-waisted ingenues. While the focus on sibling love and loyalty instead of romantic love is a redeeming feature, I don't think that erases the fact that girls still get the message loud-and-clear, that being pretty is the most important thing about being a girl. The film also takes kids on an emotional roller coaster. My 7 year old was fine, but my 5 year old was a teary mess at the end. Why is it with Disney films that every emotion has to be so intense? It's the cinematic equivalent of reading a novel written in all-caps. As a film, there are also some significant flaws. For example, a significant character's sudden personality change seems like a forced plot device to bring the film to its climax. The film showed off Disney's might as an animation maestro, and sales of Frozen merchandise will clearly fill Disney's coffers. It seems clear that these are the two elements most important to Disney--with storytelling a distant third.
Adult Written byArt Isall April 26, 2014

Very scary and horrible message throughout

I was very disappointed that the horrible message that was repeated so many times, "Don't show what you feel, don't let them see, hide, hide, hide your talents" was never properly addressed to balance the movies message out overall. I felt that there was so much emphasis put on the negative message and then the end came very quickly and they just glossed over the good message.

My 5 year old is very sensitive but this was a movie he just could not get into. There were far too many scary parts for him to relax into the story. The long sequence where they are growing up and the older sister is shut away and always isolated and the younger sister is also always isolated was infuriating to watch. When I read the original story I was shocked to learn that that is not what the original is about at all. I felt they put too many of the old fashioned crappy ways into this movie and did not make the time to explain to the children watching that the right thing to do IS to show your feelings and talents and to be different and all that.

In the end the movie comes out "alright" but I felt it could have been much more balanced.

Parent Written byReikiTerri January 21, 2014

Dissapointed

Many of the other reviews here cover the obvious pros and cons well, but I'm surprised not to see two of the musical numbers mentioned. Early in the film when an accident happens because of the older daughter's "powers", she sings at length about "push it down, don't feel" etc. She even goes to the lengths of wearing gloves her whole life to avoid the issue. Although this comes to resolution an hour later in the film, I thought it was a terrible message about how to deal with things that are scary or emotionally challenging/troubling.. Huge missed opportunity to send a better message to kids about dealing with their differences or challenges openly and in the moment; and talking about your troubles - instead of shoving them down and away and not dealing with them for years. Then later in the film, there's a terrible musical number called "He's Just a Fixer Upper" that basically teaches/promotes the idea that boys are broken - but the right girl can fix them right up. (?!?) Children learn about social constructs from these films, shame on you Disney for not taking the opportunity to introduce a healthier approach to understanding gifts/challenges that individuals have, and gender stereotypes.
Parent of a 6 year old Written byVermillyn December 17, 2013

Parental deaths caused anxiety

without giving anything away, the parents both die at the begging of the film, leaving two sisters almost entirely alone in a castle. Within a week of seeing this film, my 6 1/2 year old started obsessing about us both dying, and what would happen to him (who would care for him). Until now, he's always seemed well adjusted, so I was surprised to see him reduced to tears by anxiety. In fact, it took me two weeks to realize what had caused his fears. Whilst not saying it's not age appropriate, I'd recommend you think about the developmental stage of your child before seeing this film. By 6-7 reality is being cemented and the more realistic events can be generalized to oneself. Death is again touched on later in the film, and it's not natural causes.... I've had to field several questions on this front, too.

On a personal note, I felt this film was created in tandem with the musical theater production that's sure to arise. The characters burst into song unnecessarily, and I found this tedious. My son enjoyed the film at the time, but (apart from the ongoing anxiety) forgot it soon afterwards.
Parent Written byCourtney W. December 13, 2013

A Pleasant Surprise

I am pleasantly surprised by this movie. For the most part, it's good clean fun for families and kids. My 7 year old loved it and has been pretending to be Elsa ever since. She said, "You know why I like this movie, Mom? Because there's no prince with a kiss - her sister saves her!" My almost 11 year old son also really enjoyed it. The animation is beautiful, and the characters are well balanced and relevant. Both of my kids loved the character of the snowman, Olaf. The story is sweet, there is no real villain, and the singing is contemporary and lovely. The musical element is also well proportioned - the action and plot are not interrupted by the singing, they are actually enhanced by it. Even for adults, the movie is engaging and entertaining. The positive messages include: don't marry a guy you just met, true love can be sisterly love, and fear is destructive and can turn a person's gift into a curse, but love and acceptance can turn our gifts into beauty. One complex element that is not addressed is that young Elsa remains in fear and isolation because of her parents' reaction to her power, not because of her power itself. A four year old sitting behind us in the theater was whimpering during some of the action scenes; the characters are in peril at times, so little ones may be afraid. The elements I don't care for about this film for kids are: the sisters are very skinny, and Elsa's liberation is unnecessarily sexualized. My 7 year old noticed how skinny the sisters are, and we talked about that they clearly are not meant to be real people because you never see people with giant heads and tiny bodies walking around. Also, as Elsa stops trying to control her powers and uses them to create beauty, she sings the song "Let It Go." During the song and her transformation, her cartoon character is converted from a sad and controlled young woman in a high necked gown into a very sexy character, wearing an updated lower cut, sheer dress, including swishing hips, more makeup, and a knowing expression. The idea that freedom from your fears and converting your gift into beauty means becoming sexy and wearing stilettos while walking around in an ice castle is absurd, especially for little girls. That part demeans the beautiful message it is attempting to convey, in my opinion. Having said that, Frozen is an improvement on the usual itinerary of the Princess story line. I recommend this movie for families, and I believe it will be right up there with the other Disney favorites. The powers that be will make a mint releasing this just before Christmas, because little girls will want to dress up as Elsa and Anna, and have the toys associated with the movie. All in all, this movie is great, and an improvement on the usual Disney theme, but the misguided message of sexy = liberated for women, and consumerism are still very prevalent.

Adult Written byakparent November 29, 2013

Great movie-positive message-a few warnings

I was very pleasantly suprised by this movie! It was actually really good. A throwback to the Aladdin or Beauty and the Beast days-so expect lots of singing. If you liked Tangled, you will really like this and I think it has an even more positive message than Tangled. In addition, the story is really brought full circle and very little in the way of character development is left unsaid.
Concerns for me: There is a scary snow monster that is far to scary, but plays a shortish part. The first 20 minutes sets up the story, but is VERY sad (we were all crying), but the Princess Anna character does a great job of pulling you back into her present reality, rather than dwelling on the past. When one of the princesses has a turning point in the story-they really transform her look from this sweet, well dressed, classy innocent young woman to a very sexy look, including a very tight dress with a slit up the leg.
I think the worst part of the movie would be the old school mickey mouse short that was played at the beginning. Kids will laugh at the slapstick style humor, but it is extremely violent! So warning on that for sure.
Overall a great movie that we will watch again!

Parent Written bydominiquetta September 16, 2014

Cross Bows aimed at young women - Frozen

I read a number of reviews to see if this was appropriate for my nearly 5 yr old son. It seems it is popular for all ages. It shocked me that many people did not report the violence against women in this movie. Yes there are wolves, yes there is a freaky ice monster, and uhum there are 2 scenes where women are targetted for gruesome killing- once with 2 men attacking with cross bows and the other was a sword attack. This also reflects back to us the present state of how women are still persecuted. If this is a topic of exploration great, but if we are just feeding this to little girls... hmmm... questionable dont you think. Also my great concern about this myth is that Elsa is not helped to understand her powers by an elder, she is left alone to feel isolated and depressed. What message is that sending our kids? This movie overall is a Disney romp that feeds drama addiction and whilst having redeeming features - sisterhood and a cute snowman with the best moral line in the story, it does need a lot of debrief about the characters. And i agree with some else- Whats with the doe-eye big boob tiny waist stylisation for the main character? We are feeding our girls poor body images from very young! This is not for 4 and 5 year olds this is for 7 or 8 yr olds or older...

Parent of a 6 year old Written byHoliztic December 13, 2013

Good, but Disney-intense!

Frozen is a really visually beautiful movie with some good messages about sisterly love and connection, I really enjoyed it. However, it has all the high intensity of the Disney movies and I personally do not think it is appropriate for most kids under 6 and only some at 6. My son is nearly 7 and slightly sensitive to media drama, but he handled it pretty well. Not scared, but overwhelmed by the first 20 minutes, which were hard-hitting intensity, darkness, and sadness. I wish these movies weren't quite so serious!

Parent of a 7 and 11 year old Written bysingj November 29, 2013

Way better than the previews would have you believe!

What a delightful surprise, and what delightful twists and turns the story takes to the refreshingly unconventional ending! One subtle joke about the size of the protagonists' fiancé's feet, and a quick response implying that size doesn't matter - right over the heads of the little ones, but a slightly naughty aside for the adults in the audience. Not too scary. A great movie for girls in particular, with strong female leads and surprisingly deep themes relating to love and fear. Loved it!

Parent Written byFanBoyJosh314 July 29, 2017

Disney has become more perverted than some crass comedies

Frozen romanticizes domestic abuse. Do your own research. You will see that Elsa used her knowledge of crippling depression to trick people into thinking that abuse is sexy. Instead of seeing this disgusting charade of an exotic romance film, use your money for good and donate to a crack house.

Adult Written byChad P. April 27, 2017

Yawned every 15 seconds

This film was thoroughly boring and unenthusiastic really unimaginative.
Parent of a 8 year old Written byronansuperman January 14, 2017
Parent of a 2, 4, and 6 year old Written byLily R. July 28, 2016

Do you wanna build a snowman?

This movie is fantastic and is not your typical Disney movie. Anna doesn't get married, there's only a little bit of kissing, and the characters are goofy and silly.

When we first watched this my eldest (who is 6 now) whispered to me at the theatre "Something smells fishy about Hans" and he was right. He was trying to take over the kingdom.

My two year old and 4yo didn't get the chance to see this in theatres. So we showed it to them and they love it.

Bedding, plates, dolls, toothpaste, yogurt tubes, wall decalls, posters, soundtracks, and even a Frozen humidifier are in our home. We have see the movie 20 times and it never gets old.

Note to self: When 2yo sees laptop and says "Go" she is saying "can I watch the Let it Go YouTube video

Great job Disney. The act of true love that saved Anna wasn't from her "prince" it was from sisterly love. Depending on the day, my 4yo calls her sister Elsa and calls her self Anna.

I think the sisterly love in our house just grew ten times bigger!

Parent of a 11 year old Written bymatthew Y May 26, 2015

um... ok

this movie is good the first time you watch it, but once you do, the songs will get stuck in your head for eternity!

Parent of a 2, 5, 7, and 7 year old Written byFowlerFan January 10, 2014

Not what I expected

I had seen the trailer for this movie several times in 2013 while at the theatre for other releases. The actual movie was a surprise for me, I did not expect it to be what it turned out. I found the trailer showed it to be more of a comedy with the snowman playing a large role. In fact, it wasn't as much a comedy as I thought it would be. I also had no clue that it was a musical (maybe I missed that in the trailer). There was definitely more of a dark edge to this. ** SPOILER ALERT ** ... at one point we see one character leave another one to die. That's somewhat intense.

It's a good movie, enjoyable. I had a 5 year old who was 'okay' with it, but if I'd seen the movie ahead of time, I might've waited until he was a year older, or at least prepped him ahead of time for some of the scarier content. FWIW, he said he enjoyed the movie, and didn't seem scarred for life :) My 7 year olds had no issues, and enjoyed it.

Parent of a 8 and 12 year old Written bykaloren December 28, 2013

Excellent Princess hero movie!

We loved this movie! Even Grandpa had to admit it was good (he dislikes animated films). On the way home my daughters, 8 and 12, discussed how the story kept changing to unexpected turns which made it new and different from the normal princess story. I liked how the previews only hinted at the fun and excitement in the movie and didn't give you any idea of how the story truly was going to go from one moment to the next. The animation was spectacular, the images looked alive (saw 2D). The music was fairly modern. Although I first thought the intro music remind me of Africa, not a mountain city in the mountains of Europe.We'd love to see a spin off story short with just Olaf and Sven like in the previews! And something with the trolls too.Spoiler alert: Parents of young kids beware there is peril involved with one of the Princesses life being in question at one point. Also there is a scary snow creature---but he's like a scarier snow version of the Ghost Busters' marshmallow creature. Although Elsa changes to a "sexy" dress that reminded my husband and I a bit of Dolly Parton, I don't think it was overly provocative for young girls to see. Elsa is not built quite like Dolly and the dress is more of a spectacular magical gown that she changes into as she realizes her powers.

Adult Written bymimijunebug December 17, 2013

Best Movie Ever!

Amazing! My favorite movie ever!