All member reviews for Frozen

Wintry Disney musical is fabulous celebration of sisterhood.

Parent of a 7 year old Written bywill'smom December 9, 2013

My son loves this movie!

My son's words as we left: "If this was a book and I was a judge, I'd give it a medal!" (referring to the Caldecot medals his class has been learning about.) We really enjoyed this flick. We went with another mom and son dup and both boys had a wonderful time. Hearing after this was a "Disney Princess" movie, the boys were shocked and argued it couldn't be, because they enjoyed it too much! *Spoiler Alert* Having the movie focus so deeply on the love between the girls and showing the primary heroine effectively save herself through loving her sister was a phenomenal break from the passive love stories of the past. This is movie worth seeing with your kids, no matter their gender, and then discussing the impact of love and family. Side note: just today (almost a week after seeing it), my son asked if we can buy it on dvd when it comes out so that he can show it to his dad. :)
Kid, 11 years old December 3, 2013

Some boys might not like it. To much singing in beginning.

Well the reason I give It one star is because there was to much singing and I am so mad at the movies released for little kids because on Friday there was only this or disney on ice and IM A BOY. I hate princesses because I think they are very girly but I liked brave because it was not like other disney princesses. I only like the action Parts. I didn't like the beginning because there was to much singing. When they were singing every word I was hoping my sister was going to fall asleep because we could leave but then it got a little more intense.
Kid, 9 years old January 3, 2014

Very Dissapppionting

I was very disappointed with the movie Frozen. It was a sweet tale but could never be called a great movie for these reasons. Where was the " Whistle While You Work"? While the singers repeatedly say words like oh my god and totally, among with horrible lyrics, this movie is sadly not at all what I expected. Was it really as good as everyone said? No, it wasn't .
Kid, 9 years old December 8, 2013

Wonderful

This movie was so good! SPOILER!!! The violence is fine for me. It has a snow/ ice monster chasing them, some wolfs trying to eat them, men with guns, Elsa almost kills her sister twice and some men, there parents die, Hans tries to kill Elsa and Anna, and Anna freezes (not permanently). None of that bothered me or anyone. Kristoff and Anna kiss and the end and Elsa kind of wears a sexy dress but like the violence it didn't bother anyone. They call Kristoff some names like smelly but I wouldn't worry about that. Elsa also gets called names like murder and monster but I wouldn't worry about that either. Anna is a good role model because she is the only one who will save her sister and sacrifices her life for Elsa. Hans would of been a good role model if he wasn't evil. He saved Elsa life, you can trust him and he told Elsa to stop being mean. Also Olaf let Anna know that 'true love is putting someone's elses needs before you'. END OF SPOILER. This movie is great and I will recommend it.
Kid, 11 years old January 25, 2015

Frozen is not a movie worth going crazy about.

This movie is the worst made by Disney so far. Why? Well, because the characters are very poorly developed. Hans, the "villain", wasn't even a villain really - more like a useless addition to the movie just for a twist that turned out to not even make sense. It was inappropriate for Anna to fall in love within 10 minutes of the movie and very stubborn (not to mention strange) for her not to take the advice of her older sister (by 3 years). Anna wasn't a good character either, and Elsa isn't the first princess to not need a prince, but she is a queen. There have been several princesses before her that didn't need a prince to become Queen (Princess Tiana, Merida, Mulan, etc.) Many of the songs don't go with the movie plot either. "Love Is An Open Door" was one of the most senseless songs in the entire movie, along with the most-loved one, "Let It Go" which also made no sense whatsoever. There were also way too many clichés and the ending was very predictable and also cliché. Anna should've simply died, but, unfortunately, that's not how Disney works. Children need to stop being shown movies where the character is "magically" revived because it's not even true. Olaf was the only character in the movie that was well developed. Also, the parents were very dumb in their decision to lock their child up in a cold room for 10 YEARS with no trace of giving her food, water, or any of the necessities of life. What parents would do that?? Abusive ones obviously. They practically didn't love Elsa as much as they loved Anna and they basically tried to kill her with isolation and starvation. Also, what was Kristoff and Sven's backstory besides the trolls which also made no sense? Why did Anna's hair turn totally brown when she had a white streak in her hair at childhood? Why couldn't most of her hair stay brown but she would still have that white strand of hair? What happened to Elsa's ice castle? There are so many plot holes in this movie - more plot holes than any other Disney movie I've ever watched in my life, more plot holes than swiss cheese shot 4.0521519e54 times. Kids, PLEASE don't watch this movie, and parents, PLEASE don't recommend it to ANYONE. It's not worth going crazy about at all after two whole years of its creation.
Parent of a 1 and 6 year old Written bySaraP 1 October 8, 2014

Made for adults

Aside from the adorable characters and great music, the only other good thing is that one sister saves the other. There is cheating, using people, and shunning from parents all through it. It is not a movie that teaches your child that they can count on you and that it is ok to fall in love. It teaches that its ok to entertain feelings for another person when you are committed, and that people will use and abuse you if you give them the chance. Very very sad and very disappointed that people are so blinded by the glitz and publicity and don't really care about the messages that our children are seeing.
Educator and Parent Written bydominiquetta September 16, 2014

Cross Bows aimed at young women - Frozen

I read a number of reviews to see if this was appropriate for my nearly 5 yr old son. It seems it is popular for all ages. It shocked me that many people did not report the violence against women in this movie. Yes there are wolves, yes there is a freaky ice monster, and uhum there are 2 scenes where women are targetted for gruesome killing- once with 2 men attacking with cross bows and the other was a sword attack. This also reflects back to us the present state of how women are still persecuted. If this is a topic of exploration great, but if we are just feeding this to little girls... hmmm... questionable dont you think. Also my great concern about this myth is that Elsa is not helped to understand her powers by an elder, she is left alone to feel isolated and depressed. What message is that sending our kids? This movie overall is a Disney romp that feeds drama addiction and whilst having redeeming features - sisterhood and a cute snowman with the best moral line in the story, it does need a lot of debrief about the characters. And i agree with some else- Whats with the doe-eye big boob tiny waist stylisation for the main character? We are feeding our girls poor body images from very young! This is not for 4 and 5 year olds this is for 7 or 8 yr olds or older...
Adult Written bymimijunebug December 17, 2013

Best Movie Ever!

Amazing! My favorite movie ever!
Parent Written bylauralibby88 December 2, 2013

Frozen is a Must for the whole Family!

This is one of the best Disney Films to come along in awhile. Like Beauty and the Beast and Little Mermaid in music but an updated theme. There's less violence and scare factor in this one, though still a few scenes. And sure there's a love angel, but the story is about the importance of family (specifically sisters) and not so much about the need to find true love. The actual villains are less seen in this film. It's about finding yourself, being true to yourself, about discovering the good and the bad in life and overcoming obstacles. It was fun to watch for the whole family. My 5 year old son was enchanted and wants to see it again (it's already on his Santa List!), while my Parents were pleasantly surprised with how much they enjoyed it. We didn't see the 3D, and honestly, save your money. The film is gorgeous and you don't need to see it any closer. Take your whole family out and enjoy this new Disney Classic.
Parent of a 8 year old Written byAmoretti December 2, 2013

Lovely family entertainment.

We went to see it this weekend with my 8 year old son. He was on the edge of his seat! There is some violence in the form of a scary snow monster but nothing the kids haven't seen before (unless they are very sheltered). Perhaps very little ones would be scared but I don't think over fives would. The music is really beautiful and enhances the story, which was a nice surprise as I'm not a fan of musicals usually. As others have already said, the story is full of positive values like the relationship between the two sisters and how Anna saves herself and her sister and doesn't wait for a man to do it. It also has a warning not to get engaged to someone you just met. Overall a lovely family viewing experience. Oh, and my son remembered the lyrics and music to one of the songs the next day! That never happens. It isn't just a "girl" movie; boys also enjoy it, even those who are usually into video games and typical boy stuff.
Teen, 14 years old Written bybranman894 November 30, 2013

Frozen is Good Even Given it's Demographic

When it comes down to it Frozen has good voice acting, a good story, and nice animation. I wouldn't classify this movie as a musical even though it tries to be because there aren't that many musical numbers. Anyway this movie is funny and overall like I over said in the first sentence it is good as well.
Written byAnonymous February 28, 2014

AMAZING

One of my absolute favorite movies!! Great message, great plot, great characters, amazing animation, and there are some surprisingly funny one-liners in there! Leaves you wondering when you can see it again!
Parent of a 2, 5, 7, and 7 year old Written byFowlerFan January 10, 2014

Not what I expected

I had seen the trailer for this movie several times in 2013 while at the theatre for other releases. The actual movie was a surprise for me, I did not expect it to be what it turned out. I found the trailer showed it to be more of a comedy with the snowman playing a large role. In fact, it wasn't as much a comedy as I thought it would be. I also had no clue that it was a musical (maybe I missed that in the trailer). There was definitely more of a dark edge to this. ** SPOILER ALERT ** ... at one point we see one character leave another one to die. That's somewhat intense. It's a good movie, enjoyable. I had a 5 year old who was 'okay' with it, but if I'd seen the movie ahead of time, I might've waited until he was a year older, or at least prepped him ahead of time for some of the scarier content. FWIW, he said he enjoyed the movie, and didn't seem scarred for life :) My 7 year olds had no issues, and enjoyed it.
Parent Written byDr Widgit December 30, 2013

Great movie, just be careful if your kid is sensitive...

Spoilers... this is an excellent movie for both kids and adults. As others have noted, the messages are great and it brings some new content to the Disney themes. The twists on the stereotypical princess stories pokes some fun at older Disney works as well. Also as others have noted, this movie is intense. I think most of my 5 year olds' fears were rooted more in what might happen than what actually happened, but once things get rolling, a lot happens. While the death of the parents near the beginning of the film is relatively subtle, without knowing they died, it makes the story confusing. Still, my son who is normally quite sensitive to issues surrounding the death of a parent didn't seem too bothered by this. While the wolves and ice monster didn't really scare my son, there are two lingering questions that still bother him. He was scared of the ice magic that Elsa couldn't control and asked why she kept hurting people if she was supposed to be a good person. My answer to this was that she spent her whole life trying to hid her powers so she never had the chance to learn how to control them. It was only after she no longer she lived in fear of discovery that she started to learn how to control her powers. At first, the ice castle, and finally when she understands her sisters love for her, she can fully control her abilities. While nodding at understanding, I think the idea of having any ability beyond your control which can hurt someone is fundamentally what is bothering him. The second question that keeps coming up is why the bad princes' sword shattered when it hit Anna after she turned to ice... As he pointed out, they were cutting much thicker ice at the beginning of the film just fine, and the sword wasn't cold enough to just shatter... I couldn't come up with an answer to this one. While I doubt this will give him nightmares, I also doubt I have heard the last of this question...
Kid, 11 years old December 29, 2013

Fun For The Whole Family, Including teens

This is a great movie to enjoy with the whole family. There is some violence that you may want to warn your small kids about. This is a fun movie for all ages
Parent of a 8 year old Written byMerc December 14, 2013

Wonderful movie

Disney knocked it out of the park with this one. The music is beautiful and the characters are all memorable and fun. The movie is gorgeous visually and should win an award. Great movie for kids of all ages.
Parent Written byDJM45 December 12, 2013

Positive female role models

I took my 5 and 9 year old to this movie and settled in for another snooze fest. Boy was I surprised as we my 9 year old. We thoroughly enjoyed this film. The movie focus' on 2 sisters and their relationship. There were 2 scenes that I needed to help my 5 year old through and 1 friends highlighted to me later. Its a disney movie so some tragedy has to happen near the start, there is a scarey ice monster that my 5 year old didnt blink at and further on one of the main characters appears to die. This really disturbed my 5 year old after a whisper in her ear she was fine. I loved this movie for its great twist on "true love" and the relationship of the 2 sisters. We will be seeing it again.
Parent Written bytwinangel December 7, 2013

A definite crowd pleaser!

This was a wonderful film to watch with my daughter and her friend. The heartwarming ending left me smiling days later. The action isn't too intense for little ones and just enough to keep older ones watching. The musical score was great. Even the older brothers dragged along were laughing at Sven and Olaf's antics. I plan to buy the CD as well as the DVD. Naturally, Disney has marketed a ton of clothes, toys and books that will have children begging for stuff they likely don't need.
Kid, 12 years old December 4, 2013

Good

I think it's awesome.One of Disney's best musical animated films ever. Romantic,perilous and humour is all you will expect. We learn that true love is okay and sisterly love can go forever. Two kisses,flirting, mild peril(i said that already) and catchy songs. Little name calling. TOO OVERRATED THOUGH.
Parent of a 6 and 8 year old Written byheather13 December 3, 2013

Must-see for kids with siblings

Overall my family and I loved this movie. The message is fantastic - that even through rose-colored glasses of romance, family is the real true love. As my 8-year-old noted "this is the first princess movie where no one gets married at the end!" It started some very good discussions with my two young daughters about their love for each other despite how they sometimes unintentionally (or intentionally) hurt each other. Scariness factor is low - the scenes I thought would be frightening (wolves attacking, huge snowman) were treated with a bit of humor and were really so brief (20 seconds maximum) that they barely blipped the radar. My girls are terrified of Beauty and the Beast and of Sleeping Beauty, and these scenes were nothing to them. I was NOT a fan of the language however, but I'm very particular about this: nose picking and peeing, butt (used many times), there are others but these are the ones that stick out. Even behind me, I heard a mother say to her son who repeated the line, "we don't use that word in our house." But the message outweighs this big flaw. My daughters are 8 and 5, though I wouldn't recommend it for anyone younger because... BIG SPOILER - I had to explain to my five-year-old later why the princess turned into ice, and it was still a bit confusing. Even my 8yo didn't quite catch the nuances of the sister being hurt at the beginning and the impact on the story.