Wintry Disney musical is fabulous celebration of sisterhood.

Kid, 9 years old January 3, 2014

Very Dissapppionting

I was very disappointed with the movie Frozen. It was a sweet tale but could never be called a great movie for these reasons. Where was the " Whistle While You Work"? While the singers repeatedly say words like oh my god and totally, among with horrible lyrics, this movie is sadly not at all what I expected. Was it really as good as everyone said? No, it wasn't .
Parent of a 7 year old Written bywill'smom December 9, 2013

My son loves this movie!

My son's words as we left: "If this was a book and I was a judge, I'd give it a medal!" (referring to the Caldecot medals his class has been learning about.) We really enjoyed this flick. We went with another mom and son dup and both boys had a wonderful time. Hearing after this was a "Disney Princess" movie, the boys were shocked and argued it couldn't be, because they enjoyed it too much! *Spoiler Alert* Having the movie focus so deeply on the love between the girls and showing the primary heroine effectively save herself through loving her sister was a phenomenal break from the passive love stories of the past. This is movie worth seeing with your kids, no matter their gender, and then discussing the impact of love and family. Side note: just today (almost a week after seeing it), my son asked if we can buy it on dvd when it comes out so that he can show it to his dad. :)
Teen, 15 years old Written byRhian De Questa December 7, 2013

TRUE true love

It's a really good movie that nearly tops Disney's last smash Tangled. It's a movie that doesn't revolve nearly around romance as much as around sisterhood. Parents should know that it is a great family movie and pretty much anyone can watch it. The only aversion they might have is Elsa's powers often turn out dangerous - she hurts Anna twice on accident and nearly kills two men in her anger. Anna and Elsa's parents die in the beginning (you see their ship going under the waves) and a very nice, charming man who seems to care very much for both girls suddenly turns tale and tries to kill them both. Characters consist of Elsa, who has an icy power she can't control and has to shoulder the responsibility of the kingdom after her parents have died, as well as trying to keep her power in, and is suffering under the weight of not being able to tell her sister why they keep the doors closed and why she can't be around her anymore. Her younger sister Anna, on the other hand, is suffering in a different way because her older sister who used to play with her suddenly has shut her out and 'grown up'. Anna is sprightly and vivacious, not hesitating to try to find Elsa and apologize when she realized that it wasn't Elsa's fault. Both girls are good role models for responsibility and a love that proves the central key to the unfreezing of winter, rather than romance. Younger sisters can sympathize with Anna's wondering what happened to their lifelong playmate when their older sister grows up, and older siblings can sympathize with Elsa's want to be with her little sister but inability to due to the harder tasks that come with getting older. Hans is a handsome, charming, kind and absolutely perfect (is a bit ditzy) prince who falls in love with Anna, takes care of the kingdom during her absence, stops Elsa from killing two men and saves Elsa's life. Hans would be a wonderful role model is it wasn't for the fact that he quite suddenly turns evil. If one complaint about hte movie could be made it would be that Disney seems to have turned him bad for the sake of a plot twist, and it wasn't really necessary, because the underlying themes were enough to fill the story line and the Duke of Weasletown could have sufficed as a villain. We all had grown to love Hans and it was disappointing when he turned evil. Kristoff, on the other hand, is grumbling and growly and definitely not a prince but certainly the only one who could be right for Anna. He is brave and completely self sacrificing for Anna's sake. Olaf is a cheerful snowman who provides a bit of comic relief as well as good advice: "True love is putting someone else's needs before your own." Disney played up to this truth magnificently when Kristoff doesn't spare his own feelings to immediately get Anna back to Hans and Anna sacrifices herself to save her sister's life. The film outdoes itself in wholesome characters and role models as well as fabulous songs and beautiful animation. Frozen is a Disney movie that undermines it's traditional "love at first sight" and plays up to the love of family rather than that of a prince and princess.
Kid, 9 years old January 6, 2015

SO BAD!

I hated it! All the characters have bad facial design and weak personalities. There could have been more humor in it. Olaf is very annoying. I like Sven but I think it's weird how he's Kristoff's only friend for a while. Hans is a dumb character becuase it was sort of obvious he was the bad guy. He fell in love with Anna too quickly. Pretty dumb that Elsa didn't notice that it was snowing, everywhere, not just in her palace. Self centered. Horrible.
Teen, 13 years old Written byhappylittlekitty March 29, 2015

Beware

I watched "Frozen" with the expectation of a good, hearty Disney movie that encourages strong role models and good values. Then I saw this movie and lost all my faith in Disney. The producers of the movie mocked their roots (Love is an Open Door was an obvious self-parody). This movie encouraged running away from your problems and hurting your siblings with ice powers. I believe the only reason this won any awards was because of the song. This movie's protagonists are an idiot (Anna) who is a pretty obvious rip-off of Rapunzel and a queen who basically ditches her kingdom. Now, I am all for characters making mistakes, if they resolve them in a way that is responsible and admirable. That is called character development. However, the characters of Anna and Elsa were horribly static. This could have been a great movie if it were executed better. For a film that has been praised as the best film of our generation, I expected a bit more. My younger cousin (5) was scared at the part when the parents died and when there were wolves and snow monsters.
Educator and Parent Written bydominiquetta September 16, 2014

Cross Bows aimed at young women - Frozen

I read a number of reviews to see if this was appropriate for my nearly 5 yr old son. It seems it is popular for all ages. It shocked me that many people did not report the violence against women in this movie. Yes there are wolves, yes there is a freaky ice monster, and uhum there are 2 scenes where women are targetted for gruesome killing- once with 2 men attacking with cross bows and the other was a sword attack. This also reflects back to us the present state of how women are still persecuted. If this is a topic of exploration great, but if we are just feeding this to little girls... hmmm... questionable dont you think. Also my great concern about this myth is that Elsa is not helped to understand her powers by an elder, she is left alone to feel isolated and depressed. What message is that sending our kids? This movie overall is a Disney romp that feeds drama addiction and whilst having redeeming features - sisterhood and a cute snowman with the best moral line in the story, it does need a lot of debrief about the characters. And i agree with some else- Whats with the doe-eye big boob tiny waist stylisation for the main character? We are feeding our girls poor body images from very young! This is not for 4 and 5 year olds this is for 7 or 8 yr olds or older...
Kid, 9 years old December 8, 2013

Wonderful

This movie was so good! SPOILER!!! The violence is fine for me. It has a snow/ ice monster chasing them, some wolfs trying to eat them, men with guns, Elsa almost kills her sister twice and some men, there parents die, Hans tries to kill Elsa and Anna, and Anna freezes (not permanently). None of that bothered me or anyone. Kristoff and Anna kiss and the end and Elsa kind of wears a sexy dress but like the violence it didn't bother anyone. They call Kristoff some names like smelly but I wouldn't worry about that. Elsa also gets called names like murder and monster but I wouldn't worry about that either. Anna is a good role model because she is the only one who will save her sister and sacrifices her life for Elsa. Hans would of been a good role model if he wasn't evil. He saved Elsa life, you can trust him and he told Elsa to stop being mean. Also Olaf let Anna know that 'true love is putting someone's elses needs before you'. END OF SPOILER. This movie is great and I will recommend it.
Kid, 12 years old November 30, 2013

Different for Disney

Oh what a fresh breath of air. This is a disney movie, but is more on the different side and yet darker. It's not your typical disney "princess" movie where the princess falls in love with prince charming and happily ever after. It has many twists and keeps your interest in watching because of the tension the film brings. It's also brings lots of laughs and original catchy songs. I think one of the best things about the movie is the characters. Elsa isn't exactly a bad guy she just has problems controlling her power and fear. Anna, is a loving sister who doesn't exactly know why her sister keeps hiding herself and she wants to help her. I found the film's animation wonderful too. The ice and snow both looked dazzling! But, I do think the film is somewhat uneven, it felt a little rushed and a unsatisfying at the ending. Overall, I found the film a pleasant time at the theaters and I think many will too!
Educator and Parent of a 17 year old Written byMoney Bags 101 December 31, 2014

What the heck is wrong with disney

The characters do drugs and spend late nights at the bar. Discusting. After watching this my daughter had nightmares for day and kept wetting the bed
Parent of a 2, 5, 7, and 7 year old Written byFowlerFan January 10, 2014

Not what I expected

I had seen the trailer for this movie several times in 2013 while at the theatre for other releases. The actual movie was a surprise for me, I did not expect it to be what it turned out. I found the trailer showed it to be more of a comedy with the snowman playing a large role. In fact, it wasn't as much a comedy as I thought it would be. I also had no clue that it was a musical (maybe I missed that in the trailer). There was definitely more of a dark edge to this. ** SPOILER ALERT ** ... at one point we see one character leave another one to die. That's somewhat intense. It's a good movie, enjoyable. I had a 5 year old who was 'okay' with it, but if I'd seen the movie ahead of time, I might've waited until he was a year older, or at least prepped him ahead of time for some of the scarier content. FWIW, he said he enjoyed the movie, and didn't seem scarred for life :) My 7 year olds had no issues, and enjoyed it.
Adult Written bymimijunebug December 17, 2013

Best Movie Ever!

Amazing! My favorite movie ever!
Parent Written bylauralibby88 December 2, 2013

Frozen is a Must for the whole Family!

This is one of the best Disney Films to come along in awhile. Like Beauty and the Beast and Little Mermaid in music but an updated theme. There's less violence and scare factor in this one, though still a few scenes. And sure there's a love angel, but the story is about the importance of family (specifically sisters) and not so much about the need to find true love. The actual villains are less seen in this film. It's about finding yourself, being true to yourself, about discovering the good and the bad in life and overcoming obstacles. It was fun to watch for the whole family. My 5 year old son was enchanted and wants to see it again (it's already on his Santa List!), while my Parents were pleasantly surprised with how much they enjoyed it. We didn't see the 3D, and honestly, save your money. The film is gorgeous and you don't need to see it any closer. Take your whole family out and enjoy this new Disney Classic.
Parent of a 8 year old Written byAmoretti December 2, 2013

Lovely family entertainment.

We went to see it this weekend with my 8 year old son. He was on the edge of his seat! There is some violence in the form of a scary snow monster but nothing the kids haven't seen before (unless they are very sheltered). Perhaps very little ones would be scared but I don't think over fives would. The music is really beautiful and enhances the story, which was a nice surprise as I'm not a fan of musicals usually. As others have already said, the story is full of positive values like the relationship between the two sisters and how Anna saves herself and her sister and doesn't wait for a man to do it. It also has a warning not to get engaged to someone you just met. Overall a lovely family viewing experience. Oh, and my son remembered the lyrics and music to one of the songs the next day! That never happens. It isn't just a "girl" movie; boys also enjoy it, even those who are usually into video games and typical boy stuff.
Teen, 14 years old Written bybranman894 November 30, 2013

Frozen is Good Even Given it's Demographic

When it comes down to it Frozen has good voice acting, a good story, and nice animation. I wouldn't classify this movie as a musical even though it tries to be because there aren't that many musical numbers. Anyway this movie is funny and overall like I over said in the first sentence it is good as well.
Teen, 16 years old Written bygmwbmw35 February 14, 2015

Sweet film!

I love the Frozen musical movie! Elsa and Anna were super nice and cute. Olaf was hilarious, I especially liked his "In Summer" song! I even have a few tee shirts of Frozen, and they look cute with everything I own! Great movie, although I didn't expect hunky Hans to be such a, well, villain...
Teen, 15 years old Written byJeniujumpo April 5, 2014

Disappointing and kind of silly

None of this film is very scary, but I think that the humor is/can be rude at times and I wouldn't want my kids watching this movie without a parent or guardian.
Written byAnonymous February 28, 2014

AMAZING

One of my absolute favorite movies!! Great message, great plot, great characters, amazing animation, and there are some surprisingly funny one-liners in there! Leaves you wondering when you can see it again!
Parent Written byDr Widgit December 30, 2013

Great movie, just be careful if your kid is sensitive...

Spoilers... this is an excellent movie for both kids and adults. As others have noted, the messages are great and it brings some new content to the Disney themes. The twists on the stereotypical princess stories pokes some fun at older Disney works as well. Also as others have noted, this movie is intense. I think most of my 5 year olds' fears were rooted more in what might happen than what actually happened, but once things get rolling, a lot happens. While the death of the parents near the beginning of the film is relatively subtle, without knowing they died, it makes the story confusing. Still, my son who is normally quite sensitive to issues surrounding the death of a parent didn't seem too bothered by this. While the wolves and ice monster didn't really scare my son, there are two lingering questions that still bother him. He was scared of the ice magic that Elsa couldn't control and asked why she kept hurting people if she was supposed to be a good person. My answer to this was that she spent her whole life trying to hid her powers so she never had the chance to learn how to control them. It was only after she no longer she lived in fear of discovery that she started to learn how to control her powers. At first, the ice castle, and finally when she understands her sisters love for her, she can fully control her abilities. While nodding at understanding, I think the idea of having any ability beyond your control which can hurt someone is fundamentally what is bothering him. The second question that keeps coming up is why the bad princes' sword shattered when it hit Anna after she turned to ice... As he pointed out, they were cutting much thicker ice at the beginning of the film just fine, and the sword wasn't cold enough to just shatter... I couldn't come up with an answer to this one. While I doubt this will give him nightmares, I also doubt I have heard the last of this question...
Kid, 11 years old December 29, 2013

Fun For The Whole Family, Including teens

This is a great movie to enjoy with the whole family. There is some violence that you may want to warn your small kids about. This is a fun movie for all ages
Parent of a 8 year old Written byMerc December 14, 2013

Wonderful movie

Disney knocked it out of the park with this one. The music is beautiful and the characters are all memorable and fun. The movie is gorgeous visually and should win an award. Great movie for kids of all ages.