All member reviews for Frozen

Wintry Disney musical is fabulous celebration of sisterhood.

Parent Written byMahJonggMom November 30, 2013

Sisters and winter magic!

*This does contain mild spoilers about the plot.* We saw Frozen 3D with our six year old who is generally a bit sensitive to violence and sadness in movies. (We read one of the simple picture books of the story with her beforehand.) There are wolves and a monster here as well as guns, none of which bothered her. She was too excited about the marvelous sisters, one with wintery magic and the other with pluck and confidence enough to inspire. The parents die early in the story (though the depiction is subtle) and the lives of both Anna and Elsa are threatened during the film. The female characters are still anorexic and one of them falls in love and accepts a proposal after an afternoon but it was nice to see her also save a male character more than once. With all of the above noted I have to say that the movie is beautiful. My daughter was taken by the animation and music and loved the ending and the strong bond between the sisters. She identified with the mishaps and strengths of both characters, particularly the enthusiasm, foibles and bravery of Anna. There's romance between some of the characters but the central relationship of the film is wonderfully between Anna and Elsa. Add a bit of winter magic and it was a truly a joyful movie experience.
Educator and Parent Written bySunnyCA November 27, 2013

Good family movie for the holiday weekend

This was a good movie overall. I enjoyed how the "true love" message played out in a different way than usual. There is no real villain in the movie, and limited violence, but my 4-year old did get scared by the ice monster and wolves; there is also a scene where a girl punches a boy, which he didn't like. It felt more like a broadway musical than a typical cartoon film, but it was a nice change. I thought it was more of a girl movie, but all four boys I had with me (ages 4-11) really enjoyed it and were humming the tunes on the way home.
Teen, 16 years old Written byrebma97 November 27, 2013

Review for the novelization

I really loved the idea and all, but it just felt like it was going too fast. SPOILER ALERT besides the novelization, though, both it and the movie seemed to have just made Hans evil just for the sake of a twist. I mean it's definitely different, but it could have been done better, in my opinion. END OF SPOILER but otherwise I liked it. I loved the theme of the two sisters learning about bonding and love, and Elsa's character is interesting with her sort-of-tragic story. Violence: Elsa and Anna's parents die in the beginning of the story. Elsa accidentally hurts Anna with her powers twice--once when they're kids and another time when they're adults. Also, Elsa creates dangerous obstacles with her powers, such as a giant ice man. An evil duke sends his men after Elsa to lock her up, and later kill her. Sex: A subplot of the story revolves around Anna finding her true love, but it's not the main focus of the story and is tame.
Parent Written bymomwhosupercares December 2, 2013

NOT if you care about strong, healthy, emotionally stable role models for girls...

I was horrified to have taken my 9 year old daughter to this movie. It would be SO easy to come up with a story line that included girls who don't stupidly fall in love and agree to marry a handsome boy the NIGHT they met! Too much sexy flirting in this movie for a young girl. But mostly, I very much dislike that Disney makes these HEROINES so skinny that in real life, they would be on death's door. What is that? Why not make them with figures that reflect someone who is physically strong and healthy and eats a balanced diet? I regret seeing this movie and was very disappointed I didn't do my homework before taking my healthy, strong, independent daughter to see it...
Educator and Parent of a 5 and 7 year old Written byBookNerdMom December 27, 2013

Underwhelmed

Call me cynical, but I just don't see why commonsensemedia and so many other reviewers are raving about this film. It's not awful, but there are quite a few weak points. First and foremost, as a parent of daughters (ages 5 & 7), I think the way the female leads are presented is problematic. Both are typical Disney princesses--pretty, doe-eyed, wasp-waisted ingenues. While the focus on sibling love and loyalty instead of romantic love is a redeeming feature, I don't think that erases the fact that girls still get the message loud-and-clear, that being pretty is the most important thing about being a girl. The film also takes kids on an emotional roller coaster. My 7 year old was fine, but my 5 year old was a teary mess at the end. Why is it with Disney films that every emotion has to be so intense? It's the cinematic equivalent of reading a novel written in all-caps. As a film, there are also some significant flaws. For example, a significant character's sudden personality change seems like a forced plot device to bring the film to its climax. The film showed off Disney's might as an animation maestro, and sales of Frozen merchandise will clearly fill Disney's coffers. It seems clear that these are the two elements most important to Disney--with storytelling a distant third.
Parent of a 6 year old Written byVermillyn December 17, 2013

Parental deaths caused anxiety

without giving anything away, the parents both die at the begging of the film, leaving two sisters almost entirely alone in a castle. Within a week of seeing this film, my 6 1/2 year old started obsessing about us both dying, and what would happen to him (who would care for him). Until now, he's always seemed well adjusted, so I was surprised to see him reduced to tears by anxiety. In fact, it took me two weeks to realize what had caused his fears. Whilst not saying it's not age appropriate, I'd recommend you think about the developmental stage of your child before seeing this film. By 6-7 reality is being cemented and the more realistic events can be generalized to oneself. Death is again touched on later in the film, and it's not natural causes.... I've had to field several questions on this front, too. On a personal note, I felt this film was created in tandem with the musical theater production that's sure to arise. The characters burst into song unnecessarily, and I found this tedious. My son enjoyed the film at the time, but (apart from the ongoing anxiety) forgot it soon afterwards.
Adult Written bycourtwork December 13, 2013

A Pleasant Surprise

I am pleasantly surprised by this movie. For the most part, it's good clean fun for families and kids. My 7 year old loved it and has been pretending to be Elsa ever since. She said, "You know why I like this movie, Mom? Because there's no prince with a kiss - her sister saves her!" My almost 11 year old son also really enjoyed it. The animation is beautiful, and the characters are well balanced and relevant. Both of my kids loved the character of the snowman, Olaf. The story is sweet, there is no real villain, and the singing is contemporary and lovely. The musical element is also well proportioned - the action and plot are not interrupted by the singing, they are actually enhanced by it. Even for adults, the movie is engaging and entertaining. The positive messages include: don't marry a guy you just met, true love can be sisterly love, and fear is destructive and can turn a person's gift into a curse, but love and acceptance can turn our gifts into beauty. One complex element that is not addressed is that young Elsa remains in fear and isolation because of her parents' reaction to her power, not because of her power itself. A four year old sitting behind us in the theater was whimpering during some of the action scenes; the characters are in peril at times, so little ones may be afraid. The elements I don't care for about this film for kids are: the sisters are very skinny, and Elsa's liberation is unnecessarily sexualized. My 7 year old noticed how skinny the sisters are, and we talked about that they clearly are not meant to be real people because you never see people with giant heads and tiny bodies walking around. Also, as Elsa stops trying to control her powers and uses them to create beauty, she sings the song "Let It Go." During the song and her transformation, her cartoon character is converted from a sad and controlled young woman in a high necked gown into a very sexy character, wearing an updated lower cut, sheer dress, including swishing hips, more makeup, and a knowing expression. The idea that freedom from your fears and converting your gift into beauty means becoming sexy and wearing stilettos while walking around in an ice castle is absurd, especially for little girls. That part demeans the beautiful message it is attempting to convey, in my opinion. Having said that, Frozen is an improvement on the usual itinerary of the Princess story line. I recommend this movie for families, and I believe it will be right up there with the other Disney favorites. The powers that be will make a mint releasing this just before Christmas, because little girls will want to dress up as Elsa and Anna, and have the toys associated with the movie. All in all, this movie is great, and an improvement on the usual Disney theme, but the misguided message of sexy = liberated for women, and consumerism are still very prevalent.
Parent Written bySandripuce December 16, 2013

A few good moments but overal very inconstant movie

I didn't like this movie at all. There is way too much singing at the beginning. I didnt like the role that girls play; Anna looks like a young naive girl who'se goal in life is to meet a men and fall in love. She meets a boy and the same night, falls in love and decides to get married! And even though we are never told the age of the character, I assumed Anna was around 15-16; the idea that such a young girl would get married is quite disturbing. Many times, the character have innapropriate and corny outfits (especially Elsa's white dress in her ice castle). The little snow man is very funny and saves the show but somewhat, he doesn't seem to fit with the rest of the movie. Overall, it is a very inconstant movie and I wouldnt recommand it, especially if you have daughters and like me you try to select movies with positive female characters.
Parent of a 5, 7, and 9 year old Written byDad__ January 7, 2014

Did I see the same movie as you guys?

Wow, the whole family (Mom, Dad, 5yo, 9yo, 12yo) disliked this one. What is up with the princess going up to the castle and suddenly dressed in a wholly inappropriate way? I would love an animated movie that did not involve becoming orphans. As the parent of an adopted child, it would be nice to have a movie with loving parents for once. I thought the whole concept that the younger sister FINALLY gets a day out and promptly spends it falling in love a lost opportunity. Could she just enjoy the town without having to find a Prince? As an adult I found this painful to sit through.
Parent Written byakparent November 29, 2013

Great movie-positive message-a few warnings

I was very pleasantly suprised by this movie! It was actually really good. A throwback to the Aladdin or Beauty and the Beast days-so expect lots of singing. If you liked Tangled, you will really like this and I think it has an even more positive message than Tangled. In addition, the story is really brought full circle and very little in the way of character development is left unsaid. Concerns for me: There is a scary snow monster that is far to scary, but plays a shortish part. The first 20 minutes sets up the story, but is VERY sad (we were all crying), but the Princess Anna character does a great job of pulling you back into her present reality, rather than dwelling on the past. When one of the princesses has a turning point in the story-they really transform her look from this sweet, well dressed, classy innocent young woman to a very sexy look, including a very tight dress with a slit up the leg. I think the worst part of the movie would be the old school mickey mouse short that was played at the beginning. Kids will laugh at the slapstick style humor, but it is extremely violent! So warning on that for sure. Overall a great movie that we will watch again!
Parent of a 2 and 4 year old Written byNLHolly December 7, 2013

Great movie, a little dark and complex at times

Overall the movie was excellent. Great music, nice humour, strong storyline. Transient scary scenes for my sensitive kids included the boat containing the girls' parents going down at sea, the wolves attacking Kristoff's sled, the Ice Monster, a bit of fighting. There was blessedly little social aggression and name calling relative to many movies (except from Hans at the end). There were many mature themes around unintentional harm (Elsa of Anna), death (of the parents, a character sentenced to death, attempts to kill characters, a character who almost dies), and the fragility of relationships that were confusing for my 4-year-old, over the head of my 2-year-old. My husband and I thought the the vintage Disney pre-show that included Pete lusting after, grabbing, and assaulting Minnie Mouse before having a variety of violence visited upon him by Mickey and friends was really awful... but we might be those parents who overthink these things. Our kids seemed to find the physical comedy of it quite funny.
Educator and Parent Written byJavabeanMochabean January 6, 2014

Skip the "short" before the beginning of Frozen.

The short animated film (Mickey Mouse) at the beginning was "modernized" to be more graphic. My 4 year old son was so upset by the short that he did not want to stay for the main feature! He said it was too scary and mean. He especially did not like the character popping out of the screen. He also said that he thought Mickey Mouse was supposed to be "nice"? Not for preschoolers! What was Disney thinking? They trashed a classic with the "modernization".
Parent Written byReikiTerri January 21, 2014

Dissapointed

Many of the other reviews here cover the obvious pros and cons well, but I'm surprised not to see two of the musical numbers mentioned. Early in the film when an accident happens because of the older daughter's "powers", she sings at length about "push it down, don't feel" etc. She even goes to the lengths of wearing gloves her whole life to avoid the issue. Although this comes to resolution an hour later in the film, I thought it was a terrible message about how to deal with things that are scary or emotionally challenging/troubling.. Huge missed opportunity to send a better message to kids about dealing with their differences or challenges openly and in the moment; and talking about your troubles - instead of shoving them down and away and not dealing with them for years. Then later in the film, there's a terrible musical number called "He's Just a Fixer Upper" that basically teaches/promotes the idea that boys are broken - but the right girl can fix them right up. (?!?) Children learn about social constructs from these films, shame on you Disney for not taking the opportunity to introduce a healthier approach to understanding gifts/challenges that individuals have, and gender stereotypes.
Parent of a 6 year old Written byHoliztic December 13, 2013

Good, but Disney-intense!

Frozen is a really visually beautiful movie with some good messages about sisterly love and connection, I really enjoyed it. However, it has all the high intensity of the Disney movies and I personally do not think it is appropriate for most kids under 6 and only some at 6. My son is nearly 7 and slightly sensitive to media drama, but he handled it pretty well. Not scared, but overwhelmed by the first 20 minutes, which were hard-hitting intensity, darkness, and sadness. I wish these movies weren't quite so serious!
Kid, 9 years old January 3, 2014

Very Dissapppionting

I was very disappointed with the movie Frozen. It was a sweet tale but could never be called a great movie for these reasons. Where was the " Whistle While You Work"? While the singers repeatedly say words like oh my god and totally, among with horrible lyrics, this movie is sadly not at all what I expected. Was it really as good as everyone said? No, it wasn't .
Kid, 12 years old December 29, 2013

Frozen is the best animated movie that I have seen.

It is funny and adventure-filled. It has a positive message, (SPOILERS!!!) and unlike any other Disney princess movie, the act of true love isn't the true love's first kiss, but the love between Anna and Elsa, who are sisters. It gives the positive message that one shouldn't go on what they think is "true love", but they should get to know the person first. (Anna makes that mistake and finds out that Hans betrays her at the worst time.) Anna is a positive role model when she sacrifices herself for Elsa, as is Elsa when she unfreezes Anna because of her love for Anna. The only real romance would be Anna and Kristoff's kiss at the end, but the whole movie wasn't about that. There is some mild violence such as the snow monster and Elsa using her powers to accidentally hurt Anna, but it's okay for kids over 6. (END OF SPOILERS) The songs are really catchy, and Olaf makes this movie funny as well! The story is wonderful and creative, and I would definitely recommend this movie to anyone 7 and above.
Parent of a 3, 10, and 10 year old Written bychaney79 December 11, 2013

"Pretty" magic is still magic

I feel the need to add my 2 cents about the magic. We are a family that tries to avoid magic/sorcery in our entertainment and this movie was FULL of it. It was "pretty" magic not like some of your darker evil witches. Still if you are a family that avoids magic, avoid this movie. It will suck you in. I also really disliked the first 10 minutes, it was very fast and very sad. The music was beautiful.
Teen, 15 years old Written byRhian De Questa December 7, 2013

TRUE true love

It's a really good movie that nearly tops Disney's last smash Tangled. It's a movie that doesn't revolve nearly around romance as much as around sisterhood. Parents should know that it is a great family movie and pretty much anyone can watch it. The only aversion they might have is Elsa's powers often turn out dangerous - she hurts Anna twice on accident and nearly kills two men in her anger. Anna and Elsa's parents die in the beginning (you see their ship going under the waves) and a very nice, charming man who seems to care very much for both girls suddenly turns tale and tries to kill them both. Characters consist of Elsa, who has an icy power she can't control and has to shoulder the responsibility of the kingdom after her parents have died, as well as trying to keep her power in, and is suffering under the weight of not being able to tell her sister why they keep the doors closed and why she can't be around her anymore. Her younger sister Anna, on the other hand, is suffering in a different way because her older sister who used to play with her suddenly has shut her out and 'grown up'. Anna is sprightly and vivacious, not hesitating to try to find Elsa and apologize when she realized that it wasn't Elsa's fault. Both girls are good role models for responsibility and a love that proves the central key to the unfreezing of winter, rather than romance. Younger sisters can sympathize with Anna's wondering what happened to their lifelong playmate when their older sister grows up, and older siblings can sympathize with Elsa's want to be with her little sister but inability to due to the harder tasks that come with getting older. Hans is a handsome, charming, kind and absolutely perfect (is a bit ditzy) prince who falls in love with Anna, takes care of the kingdom during her absence, stops Elsa from killing two men and saves Elsa's life. Hans would be a wonderful role model is it wasn't for the fact that he quite suddenly turns evil. If one complaint about hte movie could be made it would be that Disney seems to have turned him bad for the sake of a plot twist, and it wasn't really necessary, because the underlying themes were enough to fill the story line and the Duke of Weasletown could have sufficed as a villain. We all had grown to love Hans and it was disappointing when he turned evil. Kristoff, on the other hand, is grumbling and growly and definitely not a prince but certainly the only one who could be right for Anna. He is brave and completely self sacrificing for Anna's sake. Olaf is a cheerful snowman who provides a bit of comic relief as well as good advice: "True love is putting someone else's needs before your own." Disney played up to this truth magnificently when Kristoff doesn't spare his own feelings to immediately get Anna back to Hans and Anna sacrifices herself to save her sister's life. The film outdoes itself in wholesome characters and role models as well as fabulous songs and beautiful animation. Frozen is a Disney movie that undermines it's traditional "love at first sight" and plays up to the love of family rather than that of a prince and princess.
Parent of a 7 year old Written bywill'smom December 9, 2013

My son loves this movie!

My son's words as we left: "If this was a book and I was a judge, I'd give it a medal!" (referring to the Caldecot medals his class has been learning about.) We really enjoyed this flick. We went with another mom and son dup and both boys had a wonderful time. Hearing after this was a "Disney Princess" movie, the boys were shocked and argued it couldn't be, because they enjoyed it too much! *Spoiler Alert* Having the movie focus so deeply on the love between the girls and showing the primary heroine effectively save herself through loving her sister was a phenomenal break from the passive love stories of the past. This is movie worth seeing with your kids, no matter their gender, and then discussing the impact of love and family. Side note: just today (almost a week after seeing it), my son asked if we can buy it on dvd when it comes out so that he can show it to his dad. :)
Kid, 11 years old December 3, 2013

Some boys might not like it. To much singing in beginning.

Well the reason I give It one star is because there was to much singing and I am so mad at the movies released for little kids because on Friday there was only this or disney on ice and IM A BOY. I hate princesses because I think they are very girly but I liked brave because it was not like other disney princesses. I only like the action Parts. I didn't like the beginning because there was to much singing. When they were singing every word I was hoping my sister was going to fall asleep because we could leave but then it got a little more intense.