All member reviews for Funny Games

Mature, complicated look at movie violence.

NOT FOR KIDS

Learning(i)

Adult Written bymgariti1 January 9, 2011

21+ for strong, sadistic, bloody violence; some language; sexual situations (no nudity)

It's hard to give an apt description of this film. It starts out like the happiest possible thing ever. Bright sunny day, kids playing tennis at the park, A colledge student and 2 buddies leave the park, but (claim to) have car trouble. Good thing the perfect family lives nearby to help them out! Especially because one got a nasty gash while trying to repair the engine. Don't worry! The husband has some medical training. Come in, boys, and he'll take a look at th...Woah! It's hard for him to concentrate, what with the ---s pointed at the wife and child's heads. SAVE HIM! SAVE HIM! But the doctor can't...so now the two remaining boys will make doc pay.
Teen, 13 years old Written by80sfreak October 2, 2009

So...theres no word to describe this movie

This movie is so different I have never seen anything like it.its just plain awesome...but it took me forever to find :)
Adult Written byMovie Man September 16, 2009

Brilliant, Highly Disturbing Horror is Very Scary, Intriguing.

This is a brilliant, unusual horror film that takes on movie and T.V. violence. The plot is highly upsetting: a family is taken hostage by very young serial killers who torture and terrorize their victims for hours on end. PARENTS: please do not let your kids watch this extreme film. Although it is true that most of the violence is off-screen, that makes it even scarier. The less we know, the scarier it gets. P.S. You won't watch this film for fun; you watch it to be utterly intrigued... and petrified. And the brilliant performances make it even scarier. To all of you reading my reviews, thank you. And keep watching. -Movie Man
Teen, 14 years old Written byEmilyB123 October 31, 2010

I really liked this movie. One of the villains, who takes charge through most of the film, you can't help but like him just a little bit, no matter how harsh he is to the family. Some young teens may not be able to handle this because the effects of the violence is extremely evident. But i think mature teens can handle it.
Adult Written bywonder dove November 15, 2013

Creepy torture film

Funny Games was an interesting home invasion movie, yet not the best I've seen. It lacked action, however it was intense and creepy but a little too violent and uncomfortable to watch a nice little family being tortured, including a child. Definitely not for weak stomachs. In short, we meet two guys dressed in white, Peter (Brady Corbet) & Paul (Michael Pitt), who seem like decent guys at first but not for long. When the mother of the lake house, Ann (Naomi Watts), lets one into her home, he continuously bothers her to the point she fears something's strange. His partner joins in and together they start to terrorize Ann and her family by not leaving their home when they're kindly asked. Suddenly the family knows they're in extreme danger and must try everything possible to either convince them to stop or try to escape. It makes you feel blue when it's over.The language is strong from everything to the f-word & sh*t to @sshole & p**y. Violence is gory and includes a death of a family dog with body shown, a man is shot, a child is shot and you see the bloody remains, guy breaks a mans leg with a golf club, a face slap, stabbing sounds, a boy has a bag put over his head, a character is pushed off a boat, disturbing stories shared. Sexual content includes a woman forced to strip (nothing shown) then we see her in a bra and panties through out the rest of the film, gross comment about a young guy sleeping with his own mother which they then joke about, some discussions about sex throughout. There is smoking and talking about substance abuse. NOT for the kids!! Strong stomachs only! 18+
Adult Written bycallofduty5 March 18, 2011

Good for mature teens

Otherwise don't bother its violent and disturbing film. Very suspensive
Kid, 9 years old January 12, 2009

LMAO

So dang funny! LMAO
Kid, 10 years old April 9, 2008

Don't be fooled kids this movie is not a joy ride to violence

Now if there is parents who let kids watch R rated movies like 'Saw' or 'Hostel' I don't really care. That's your parenting skills I'm perfectly fine with that. But 'Funny games' is not a pleasure of violence it's actually an uncomfortable experience of violence. Listen to how raunchy this is. A boy suffocating, a mom stripping down (no nudity is shown), a guy strikes a male's leg with a golf club, the strangers kills a dog, and the list goes on. The violence is such a big issue. the sexual content is not anything too bad and there's no nudity nor sex but there is some sexual talk. The language is actually mild for an R rated considering that there's only like 5 f words but still it's not something kids should be hearing.
Adult Written bynul April 9, 2008

Amazing but Incredibly Disturbing

What really gets to you in a movie is not the physical effects of violence (after all, we laugh at somebody's head getting shot off in Pulp Fiction), but the emotional effects. While the violence in this film is not extremely graphic, it is nonstop and relentless. The family's plans are constantly thwarted, and the captors are happy, laughing, and polite throughout. The violence escalates and escalates in a fairly non-traditional way (I would say more, but I don't want to give anything away) and there is disappointment after disappointment, making the film extremely bleak and heavy. However, the film has a very meaningful and important point, and the violence must be present for the point to be made. Mature adults will be able to get it, but the point will probably fly over the heads of kids and teenagers, leaving them with nothing but the extreme violence.
Adult Written byrickydoo85 April 9, 2008

New Favorite Movie

I'm a big fan of psycho killers. And, this is the best movie of that genre. There is a classic scene in here, where one of the killers looks to the camera, and asks the audience, "Why do you enjoy us torturing them?" CLASSIC!
Adult Written byezuyus April 9, 2008

A painful experience...

This movie is disturbing. If the director wanted to protray the helpless emotions of an innocent family being tortured to death -- he succeeded. The comments to the camera made it almost cartoon-like. I would not waste money on a theatre experience...wait for the DVD if you must.
Teen, 15 years old Written bystargazerwithalazer April 11, 2012

Warning: deeply graphic images, mental images.

This is a VERY graphic movie, and was kind of strange for myself to watch it; I've never seen a movie anything like it, but most of the "graphic pictures" were off screen, and filled in with the mind. It's definitely a non-mainstream, "different" movie, with an altered plot and violent actions. In the intro, for a few seconds, the movie plunges into a deeply black metal track. Now; I've heard songs similar to such, and I was even disturbed, but with people who have never heard such a musical genre, they are bound to be even more startled as well. Personally, I thought it was a pretty good thriller. The plot was very skewed from of what an original movie would be like, however, this is why I liked it. For people who like strange, upsetting "mental" thrillers with a twist, this movie would be for you. However, this movie is NOT FOR KIDS under any circumstances. I myself am 15, and I strongly suggest that this movie be viewed if you aren't "frightened" easily by obscenely violent plots (for example, if the PG-13 movie, "The Woman In Black" scared you, this is on a COMPLETELY different level. Watch at your own risk). All in all, I give the movie a 3.5/5.0 stars.
Teen, 13 years old Written bycerealkiller189 January 31, 2012

Uhhhhh-how should I put this?

Welllllllllllll,first off,this is no kids.No one under 14.I have seen this when I was 10 at the movies with my dad (my 10 y/o brother didn't come bcuz he was scared) .The movie is funny yes,but in a very dark way.Haha,yes,that is very funny,but do you get the macabre message beneath it?An amazing movie,just too black humored.And the scene where the child gets shot may disturb sensitive viewers greatly.Although a great portion of the extreme stuff is offscreen,the character's reactions are extremely disturbing.This movie won't be disturbing to you if you are a desensitized piece of sh*t or a sociopath,but to others it does.Younger ones may not understand the underlying horror of the movie,but older teens will and it's not very nice when they do.This is a psychological horror.That just proves horrors don't need to be extremely gory or have tons of jump scares to be scary.It's the realism that is scary.A home invasion could happen to anyone,and that's what makes it disturbing.The director makes the atmosphere tense for the viewers to feel as if they were in the situation and emphasize with the characters.And if anyone were caught in this clusterf*ck situation,they'd be ten times more scared,knowing what they have witnessed at the movies can actually happen in real life.Thumbs Up to Michael Hanake for a great piece of emotional art.The most disturbing movie I've watched since Requiem For A Dream.
Teen, 14 years old Written byjaclyn1021 January 16, 2012

Disturbing

Watching this movie was a huge mistake. Please do not make the mistake of watching this if you're under 16. I wouldn't even recommend it for anyone over that age. This movie is awful. The storyline is creative, but it's EXTREMELY disturbing. I was watching this in shock, wondering what I was looking at. I'm normally an fan of thrillers, but I wasn't into this one at all. I'm scarred for life after watching this.
Parent Written byPlague June 9, 2010

Funny Games

Very suspenseful and a good tension starting movie. Teens and adults will love it.
Teen, 17 years old Written bycourtie December 11, 2008

Original.

I wasn't expecting it at all; but i liked it. When every movie coming out is a Slasher Film (which i don't mind, i love Slasher flicks, (utterly excited for My Bloody Valentine 3D) it was really scary in the more terror sense than anything. I wasn't at all interested in the time-lapse view they had some of the time, but other than that; pretty good.