Brilliant biopic engages, educates, and inspires.

Inspirational and Excellent!

Gandhi is the inspirational tale of one man's fight for a free India. It shows you that you don't have to fight violent wars to get what you want. Gandhi was a clever and sweet man, and got what he wanted for India through the power of words, not fists. This movie is a great way to learn about Indian culture, Gandhi's life, and just history in general. You should also take into consideration that the movie won nine Oscars, so it is definately as good as people make it out to be. Parents should know that this movie has very strong violence. Kids that are sensitive to gory things should cover their eyes during the massacre (I did). All in all, this is a must see film for everyone and anyone!
Teen, 13 years old Written byMonocle Man December 1, 2011

Excellent film

I think it is amazing that people call this a boring movie. I suppose some other teens can't handle a film without 24/7 violence. If your child has an attention span over 5 seconds, then give this movie a chance.
Teen, 15 years old Written bybadderanarchy August 3, 2009
this movie is boring
Teen, 14 years old Written bySpielberg00 November 29, 2011

Very good biopic.

My rating: PG-13 for violence, some language and smoking. Role Models: 4/5 - Sense of leadership. Violence: 3/5 - Beatings, shootings, etc. Language: 2.5/5 - One use of "w--re", another of "bast--d", other milder terms. Drugs: 2.5/5 - Some smoking.
Teen, 14 years old Written byTheComposer July 22, 2010

Don't Ask Questions . . . Just Watch It

This film is monumental. Many of the younger people who review this probably don't like it because it's not modern "hollywood." There are no non-stop action scenes, no laugh-until-you-drop moments and no sex scenes (for the immature). What is left is a brilliant movie on the life of Gandhi. I recommend this for anybody who likes feel good classics. From the great cast of Ben Kingsley, Martin Sheen, &c. to the brilliant filmography. I would rate this film 50 out of 5 stars if it were possible. Watch this film and show it to whoever you want as long as they are mature enough to handle the content and have the ability to sit through a 3 1/2 hour film.
Kid, 12 years old July 11, 2013

Respect and adoration to the father of peace

Respect and adoration to the father of peaceful and modern protest. Even peaceful coexistance of different beliefs & religion. Rest In Peace - you are truly a respected man in history forever, all around the world.
Teen, 13 years old Written byDeclan Wagar May 28, 2013

Gandhi

We watched this movie in Social Studies in 7th grade, and i thought is was amazing. I recommend being at least 12, because kids under that will not quite be able to follow the story very well. Over all it was one of the best movies I've seen!
Kid, 12 years old May 14, 2011

Awesome!!!

I absolutely LOVE this movie!!!!! Gandhi is the coolest!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Teen, 13 years old Written bybkid May 15, 2010

Great Education and Message for 12+

It was a very inspiring movie, with a good "non-violence" message from Gandhi and a historical message, and it had good role models.However, parts of the movie had the "bi***" word, and "he**" and some other derogatory terms. It also has brief violence, involving death and blood. Overall, I loved it.
Adult Written byFinneylm April 9, 2008

Excellent movie to revisit with your children

I saw this movie long ago when it first came out and decided a few weeks ago to watch it with my 10 year old daughter. She loved the movie. I beleive that she will benefit from watching this again in another year or so as some of the issues were a little deeper than her understanding permits --social order, violence between faiths etc. . .---but the main themes of peace, nonviolence and acceptance she appreciated and has discussed with me. She gained an appreciation of Gandhi and justice/injustice. It was an excellent movie for her to see and one that I think she will see again and has grown as a person from watching this movie.
Kid, 12 years old July 4, 2010

HORRIBLE, BORING, AND NOT FOR KIDS....

i watched this at school and me along with my whole class where falling asleep. This movie is definetly not for kids due to vilonce and boringness.
Teen, 15 years old Written byhayal12 July 26, 2016

Inspirational and educational though likely to be too intense or boring for kids

This is far and away one of the most inspirational films I've ever seen and a must-see for anyone wanting to make a difference in the world. A multitude of universal lessons can be found here: stand up against injustice, love your neighbour and Gandhi's own "an eye for an eye makes the whole world blind" are some of the most prevalent. But the highlight of the film is by far Ben Kingsley's incredibly lifelike and justly humane performance in the daunting title role. However: there is little appeal for pre-teens here due to the subject matter, run time and frequent violent scenes (plus some racist language). Overall, though, the film definitely does justice to the incredible person at the story's centre.
Kid, 11 years old June 21, 2016

Very mature, inspirational story about racism.

This is a very mature film and is likely for under 10s to not understand the story line. There are also some very violent bits when the British and Indian are at war. Also a derogatory word "Kaffir"and other mild cursing.
Educator and Parent of a 4 and 8 year old Written byKasloColorado March 13, 2016

A Great Movie to Discuss with Your Kids

My son, 8, was upset that some of his friends at school were bullying another friend. He didn't know how to deal with it. I wanted my son to see that there is a way to stand up for people, respectfully, peacefully, and bravely. We watched this movie together, pausing many times to discuss situations. We ended up talking all evening, with my son opening up about all sorts of thoughts. He's usually very quiet, but he was very inspired by Ghandi. It's not just history... Ghandi shows principles that we can all use to stand by our values while respecting and even befriending those who disagree. This movie showed this perfectly. I remember first watching it when I was twelve, and was also inspired. Watching this with your child can be a great way to open up a discussion about respect, conflict, values, and/or bravery. I would not recommend letting a child watch it alone, as it can be hard to follow without explanation, and the theme could get lost. There is some violence that is upsetting, but I think the value of the message and the history make this violence appropriate to its context. Violence is not overly dramatized or promoted.
Adult Written byBestPicture1996 June 3, 2015

Inspiring biopic showcases a true role model

What a great movie this is. Another brick in the Best Picture goal I have, I definitely would have skipped "Gandhi" just out of ignorance! Though my girlfriend later informed me about some not too biopic friendly things the Mahatma did, this movie showcases what he was most known for: his humility and willing to offer his enemy the right cheek when they slapped the left. Ben Kingsley is nothing short of magnificent as the man, probably, once you think about it, one of the top performances in the history of cinema. The semblance to Gandhi is eerily good, but just the way he encapsulates patience, kindness and strength in such a little body is truly worth the gold statue he garnered. The cinematography is beautiful, the script, though it passes through five decades, rarely drags and is straightforward, for the man himself was straightforward. This was a true passion project for director Richard Attenborough, and it surely shows, a labor of love that fits as great movie-making and a tribute to a one-of-a-kind leader.
Kid, 11 years old November 30, 2014

Best movie that motivated my indian culture!

I love this movie! But there is little bad language like hell, damn, whore, and bastard but it is a great movie. There is some violence like gandhi getting shot and other people but that doesn't mean kids younger who are interested can't watch. I think it's a great movie for Tweens and older.
Parent Written byluizcarvalho1@g... January 18, 2014

AMAZING

At school we were watching little clips of the movie Gandhi and it is AMAZING! It may be a bit to violent but you know yourself. I'm nine and I thought it was OK for my age.
Teen, 14 years old Written byPurpleSilhouette December 13, 2012

RECOMMENDED

This movie is not only inspirational and educational but it is also thrilling to watch. My classmates and I watched this during our social science 2 and every single one of us was really paying attention. We enjoyed the movie though it is kind of long but it is still a great movie. I would recommend this movie if you want to know more about Mahatma Gandhi's life, experiences and adventure.
Teen, 13 years old Written byMovieGuy23 June 9, 2011

Gandhi: Beautiful Biopic

Gandhi features both Ben Kingsley and director Richard Attenborough at their bests. The movie is an epic that depicts Gandhi from his start as a lawyer all the way through his rise to being one of India's most influential figures. The evolution of the character was a fascinating thing in itself. Note to parents: The movie contains some violence including massacres and beatings, but the violence is controlled. Appropriate for tweens and up.