All member reviews for Gandhi

Brilliant biopic engages, educates, and inspires.

Teen, 13 years old Written byMonocle Man December 1, 2011

Excellent film

I think it is amazing that people call this a boring movie. I suppose some other teens can't handle a film without 24/7 violence. If your child has an attention span over 5 seconds, then give this movie a chance.

Inspirational and Excellent!

Gandhi is the inspirational tale of one man's fight for a free India. It shows you that you don't have to fight violent wars to get what you want. Gandhi was a clever and sweet man, and got what he wanted for India through the power of words, not fists. This movie is a great way to learn about Indian culture, Gandhi's life, and just history in general. You should also take into consideration that the movie won nine Oscars, so it is definately as good as people make it out to be. Parents should know that this movie has very strong violence. Kids that are sensitive to gory things should cover their eyes during the massacre (I did). All in all, this is a must see film for everyone and anyone!
Teen, 15 years old Written bybadderanarchy August 3, 2009

this movie is boring
Teen, 14 years old Written byTheComposer July 22, 2010

Don't Ask Questions . . . Just Watch It

This film is monumental. Many of the younger people who review this probably don't like it because it's not modern "hollywood." There are no non-stop action scenes, no laugh-until-you-drop moments and no sex scenes (for the immature). What is left is a brilliant movie on the life of Gandhi. I recommend this for anybody who likes feel good classics. From the great cast of Ben Kingsley, Martin Sheen, &c. to the brilliant filmography. I would rate this film 50 out of 5 stars if it were possible. Watch this film and show it to whoever you want as long as they are mature enough to handle the content and have the ability to sit through a 3 1/2 hour film.
Teen, 14 years old Written bySpielberg00 November 29, 2011

Very good biopic.

My rating: PG-13 for violence, some language and smoking. Role Models: 4/5 - Sense of leadership. Violence: 3/5 - Beatings, shootings, etc. Language: 2.5/5 - One use of "w--re", another of "bast--d", other milder terms. Drugs: 2.5/5 - Some smoking.
Adult Written byFinneylm April 9, 2008

Excellent movie to revisit with your children

I saw this movie long ago when it first came out and decided a few weeks ago to watch it with my 10 year old daughter. She loved the movie. I beleive that she will benefit from watching this again in another year or so as some of the issues were a little deeper than her understanding permits --social order, violence between faiths etc. . .---but the main themes of peace, nonviolence and acceptance she appreciated and has discussed with me. She gained an appreciation of Gandhi and justice/injustice. It was an excellent movie for her to see and one that I think she will see again and has grown as a person from watching this movie.

Teen, 13 years old Written byDeclan Wagar May 28, 2013

Gandhi

We watched this movie in Social Studies in 7th grade, and i thought is was amazing. I recommend being at least 12, because kids under that will not quite be able to follow the story very well. Over all it was one of the best movies I've seen!
Kid, 12 years old May 14, 2011

Awesome!!!

I absolutely LOVE this movie!!!!! Gandhi is the coolest!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Kid, 12 years old July 4, 2010

HORRIBLE, BORING, AND NOT FOR KIDS....

i watched this at school and me along with my whole class where falling asleep. This movie is definetly not for kids due to vilonce and boringness.
Kid, 11 years old November 30, 2014

Best movie that motivated my indian culture!

I love this movie! But there is little bad language like hell, damn, whore, and bastard but it is a great movie. There is some violence like gandhi getting shot and other people but that doesn't mean kids younger who are interested can't watch. I think it's a great movie for Tweens and older.
Parent Written byluizcarvalho1@g... January 18, 2014

AMAZING

At school we were watching little clips of the movie Gandhi and it is AMAZING! It may be a bit to violent but you know yourself. I'm nine and I thought it was OK for my age.
Kid, 12 years old July 11, 2013

Respect and adoration to the father of peace

Respect and adoration to the father of peaceful and modern protest. Even peaceful coexistance of different beliefs & religion. Rest In Peace - you are truly a respected man in history forever, all around the world.
Teen, 14 years old Written byPurpleSilhouette December 13, 2012

RECOMMENDED

This movie is not only inspirational and educational but it is also thrilling to watch. My classmates and I watched this during our social science 2 and every single one of us was really paying attention. We enjoyed the movie though it is kind of long but it is still a great movie. I would recommend this movie if you want to know more about Mahatma Gandhi's life, experiences and adventure.
Written byAnonymous June 20, 2011

An excellent biography, that children probably wouldn't enjoy...

I was quite simply shocked when I learned that Ben Kingsley, an actor who I never truly liked, excellently played the role of Gandhi. This biography is truly one of the best ones I've ever seen, keeping your attention throughout the entire film. After seeing the portrayal of Gandhi in this movie, then looking at him, you can tell the amount of work to reach the level of detail they achieved, was great.
Teen, 13 years old Written byMovieGuy23 June 9, 2011

Gandhi: Beautiful Biopic

Gandhi features both Ben Kingsley and director Richard Attenborough at their bests. The movie is an epic that depicts Gandhi from his start as a lawyer all the way through his rise to being one of India's most influential figures. The evolution of the character was a fascinating thing in itself. Note to parents: The movie contains some violence including massacres and beatings, but the violence is controlled. Appropriate for tweens and up.
Adult Written byed1993 December 30, 2010

No, really, watch it!

One of the most accurate pieces biographical cinema ever to grace the screen this 1982 epic deserves your viewing. Tackling issues of racism, colonialism and totalitarian rule this film is a must see for all families. The story is inspiring and whilst the three hour running time may seem a little daunting it is not difficult to split it into 2 or 3 sessions.
Teen, 13 years old Written bybkid May 15, 2010

Great Education and Message for 12+

It was a very inspiring movie, with a good "non-violence" message from Gandhi and a historical message, and it had good role models.However, parts of the movie had the "bi***" word, and "he**" and some other derogatory terms. It also has brief violence, involving death and blood. Overall, I loved it.
Kid, 12 years old April 11, 2009

Gandhi

RSKKZ Rating: 10 for violence and mild language. What Rodni Says: THE GREATEST DOCUMENTARY EVER MADE! It's basically impossible to hate Gandhi, because he never fights back to the British people who beat and kill his people. They should teach kids about the Indian Revolution in American schools, because it is very similar, except the fact that it has a great message. Common Sense, this movie should have 5 stars for message and not just 3. GO GANDHI! This movie is appropriate for ages 8 and up, but I wouldn't show it to anyone under 10 because they wouldn't get it, so 9+, I guess. And you also have to appreciate movies like this because they didn't put in all this unnecessary gore (like in Glory), so that's another reason why I admire this movie. GO GANDHI!
Teen, 17 years old Written byinspiration-bg April 9, 2008

Just wounderfull

A film that deserved its best picture oscar. Never have i seen such an influencial film that mostly every one can see with out fear of crude material, great film must watch.