All teen and kid member reviews for Gangs of New York

Teen, 15 years old Written byfassfilms17 April 9, 2008
Teen, 16 years old Written bykojitheman November 12, 2011

loved it

Fabulous movie. My rating: Strong bloody violence, disturbing images, some strong language, strong sexuality, and graphic nudity.
Teen, 13 years old Written byjjz514 March 16, 2010

Interesting Story, but can be a little nasty

Great movie. Best i have seen in a while. I like it because of the great story, and mustaches. There was very good acting and an interesting ending... The only part the freaked me out a little was all of the butcher knives being thrown. I like how they did that back then!
Teen, 14 years old Written byhorselover326 April 9, 2008

good but not for kids

This was a great movie and Leonardo Decaprio was brilliant as usual. But it was also very depressing and violent. There is even one part where a man gets stabbed in the back and the man who kills him pushes the knife further into him. There's also some nudity and sex stuff. Only for mature teens and adults
Teen, 16 years old Written byhalo127 April 9, 2008

Great

This movie is great and suprisingly educational. I wrote a report on this movie for U.S. History and got extra credit. It deals with mid 19th centry New York City and gives a very good and acurate look on life in New York along with the descrimination on immigration. This movie has very strong violence which most accurs in the last hour during the draft riots. there is some sex and one very brief but expicit scene but the camera moves past it very fast. Minimal language the worst was three uses of f**k. This movie is great for older teens and is recommended.
Teen, 14 years old Written byAndy2000 September 7, 2014

Gory, yes, but worse for its sexuality

While the story, acting, and general production quality is great, it is not appropriate for anyone under 16 or 17, in general. At least I personally don't believe anyone under that age should watch it. It's gory, yes, but worse for its sexuality. To be honest with you I never finished the movie (I believe myself to be too young to watch it and stepped out before it was over), but the gore was not what bothered me. There are several sex scenes which are all very graphic, including naked women and a woman briefly shown fully naked from the side midst intercourse as she lays on a table. There is an intense romance between the two male and female main characters which includes at least one very revolting standing sex scene. There is a lot about prostitution. An abortion is mentioned, there are some torture acts, and the aforementioned gore. Many swear words, including n-gg-r, but that one might not be so offensive because in the setting of the movie it was not so much of a swear word. I do not recommend it to anyone below 15, and then only if they can block out a lot of sexually related things. Otherwise, it's an alright movie, from the first 2/3 that I watched.
Teen, 14 years old Written byitsrainingfrogs July 14, 2014

Scorsese's most powerful and patriotic film

Gangs of New York is one of the most powerful movie experiences I've ever had, specifically the film's final moments featuring the U2 song "The Hands That Built America". The film studies the racial tensions between American-born citizens and Irish immigrants, as well as early organized crime in the 1860s. This backdrop, climaxing with the fateful Draft Riots, is home to the story of a young Irish immigrant in the Five Points area of New York who joins the gang of the fierce Bill the Butcher who killed his father. Though nearly three hours long, the film is never boring, with great acting , stunning camerawork, and amazing sets. Sex: A few women are seen topless. A clothed man is seen in bed with three naked women; rear nudity. Violence: The film's opening battle scene is the most violent in the film, in which many people are killed with swords, knives, axes, cleavers and other edged weapons. One character has clawed fingers and is seen scratching people's faces. This scene has its fair share of blood. A few other characters are stabbed and killed throughout the rest of the film. A man is killed off-screen and his body is displayed in public. During the riots, many people are shot. Two men stab each other many times. Language: A few uses of f*** by a character. Substance Abuse: Characters drink alcohol. Intensity: The opening battle is very intense, but the rest of the film is fairly calm. Several emotional scenes.
Teen, 15 years old Written bythesturgmachine February 22, 2014

Very interesting film, one scorsese's best!

Highly underrated film, quite rude. Has a bit of violence, swearing & sexual things in it.
Teen, 13 years old Written byEntropy January 8, 2010

Awesome movie! OK for most older teens.

Great performance! Especially by Daniel Day-Lewis. The movie itself is very brutal, lots of fist-fights, gun-fights, rioting, etc... Pretty gory at times. Quite a bit of racism, many uses of different racial slurs... as well as some other strong language. The sex scenes are all onscreen, showing entire female frontal nudity. Including a scene where the 2 main characters celebrate in a brothel, where nearly everyone is naked. All in all, its an excellent, and also somewhat educational movie. It shows you the side of the Civil War that you don't usually see.