All member reviews for Ghostbusters

Paranormal '80s classic has some scares, innuendo.

Parent of a 8 and 10 year old Written byLuaith September 11, 2009
The implied oral sex from a spirit was way too graphic for my kids. This is the first time I have found a common sense rating to be off the mark.
Parent of a 9 and 11 year old Written byjesscat October 27, 2010

I'd say 12 and up.

Love this movie but I don't think the implied oral sex scene is for kids of this age.
Kid, 12 years old October 1, 2009
Hilarious movie, my favourite line being "Shhh! Can you smell that?" Great movie, pehaps the sex could have been cut. Oral ghost sex?! No thanks.
Educator and Parent Written byCCguardian June 11, 2013

Not family appropriate!

A demon possessed woman is begging to have one of the ghost busters inside her, and you think this is a good family movie. What is wrong with you guys, for this alone, I would never let my kids watch it. Would Sigourney Weaver let her kids watch the movie, I doubt it, unless she is completely depraved, she would be totally embarrassed. The reason Jody Foster made the movie Nim's Island, is so that her kids could watch a movie that she was in, she wouldn't let them watch her other movies. Even she has better standards for her kids, and she grew up in Hollywood, where anything goes.
Adult Written bylsdgls April 9, 2008

Ouch! Way too iffy on the sexual content!

My major issue is the sex scenes in this movie! One ghost is portrayed as having oral sex and there is another sex scene that is really way over the top! Not for kids with any awareness!
Parent Written bySinfoniarc February 17, 2012

Not As Bad Is Some Make It Out To Be

I think that the alleged oral sex scene is a little over-exaggerated. You see an apparition over Dan Akyroyd's bed and then the next thing you see is his fly unzip and his eyes cross. It's implied, not seen. Having said that, my kids love this movie (ages 8 and almost 11). As a kid, myself, my little sister wouldn't watch the opening five minutes of it as it does have some startling scenes to it. The language is typical 1980s language for PG movies. If your children are like sponges and tend to repeat everything that they hear, this movie is not for them.
Written byAnonymous October 10, 2014

Ghostbusters review

========================================================= Sex/Nudity: After ending his experiment and being interrupted by Ray when trying to pick up on Jennifer, Venkman tells her that he'd like to work with her some more and asks her if she could come back in the evening and before he can give a time, Jennifer asks, "8 o'clock?" Venkman tells Ray and Egon that they can stay and work on their investigations and, "I'll take Miss Barrett back to her apartment and check her out." Venkman comments on the space in Dana's apartment and when he asks her if it's just her and she replies, "Yes," he says "Good." Venkman then goes into Dana's bedroom and she tells him that "nothing ever happened in there," referencing the incident, and Venkman responds, "What a crime," referencing the obvious. Venkman imagines out loud to Dana how she would react if he caught this monster that she believes is in her fridge: "I wonder if he'd be interested in knowing what makes me tick." Ray dreams about a female ghost who floats above him and then disappears, his pants being invisibly unbuckled and unzipped, his underwear showing, and then there's a shot of him becoming cross-eyed, and he falls back to the bed. Dana asks Venkman if he has any information for her and he replies, "Well sure, but I'd prefer to give it to you in private," and then just after, says, "If we could get together Thursday night, I'm thinking 9-ish, you know, we could exchange information." Walter is called "d*ckless" by one of the Ghostbusters and when the Mayor asks if it's true that Walter's actions caused havoc, Venkman responds, "Yes, it's true. This man has no d*ck." Zuul-as-Dana asks Venkman, "Do you want this body?" He responds, "Is this a trick question?" Zuul-as-Dana commands Venkman to "take me now?.sub-creature," throws him down on the bed, and straddles him, to which Venkman's reaction is, "Easy. I make it a rule never to get involved with possessed people." Then Zuul-as-Dana tells Venkman, "I want you inside me," prompting him to reply that it sounds like she has at least two or three people in there already (referring to being possessed). Zuul-as-Dana kisses Louis, who's been taken over by a monster and in another shot, they are shown mussed up from having presumably made love. Lying on a bench, Zuul-as-Dana shows a lot of leg. Gozer, as a woman, is in a body suit and shows some cleavage. Venkman engages in slang describing the penis, though it's commands for the men to fire up their weapons for an attack against Gozer, such as when he yells at the men, "Got your stick?!" and they respond, "Holding it!" Then he shouts, "Make them hard!" the cue for the men to get them ready, after which time they respond with, "Ready!" 5.5/10. ========================================================= Violence: Venkman presides over a study that he labels "the effect of negative reinforcement on ESP ability," but seems only an excuse to shock people when they guess wrong on what shape is on a card. This is especially true of the male participant who is shocked three times, the second time jolting the gum out of his mouth. Peeved at Ray interrupting his attempt to pick up on Jennifer, the female participant, Venkman jumps up and slaps Ray on the head, exclaiming, "I'm right in the middle of something, Ray!" Egon is already at the library by the time Venkman and Ray arrive, listening to a wooden table for any clues. Venkman tricks him by knocking lightly a few times on the table and then raising a book and banging it down hard, making him jump. While walking through the underside of the New York Public Library, Venkman remarks to Egon that "this reminds me of the time you tried to drill a hole through your head." A bookcase mysteriously falls over, nearly hitting Egon and Venkman. In a hotel hallway, with nuclear accelerators on their backs, the men fire multi-colored streams at what they think is a ghost, and sparks fly everywhere, but it turns out to just be a maid with a cart, who emerges unharmed. Burnt toilet paper rolls and other destroyed material are strewn about. The nuclear accelerator causes walls to catch on fire as well. After Slimer rushes through a wall, a room service cart with champagne bucket and champagne bottle, and many dishes, crashes into the wall and the bucket and broken dishes fall to the floor. In a ballroom at the same hotel, the men fire at Slimer who flies away quickly, and their streams hit the chandelier, causing it to spark and crash down onto a table. Venkman then yells at Ray to fire and he does, and once again, Slimer barely flies out of the way, and Ray's stream hits the buffet table. Egon fires next and his stream explodes a wedding cake and collapses a banquet table. Before a table is upturned to make room for the trap, Venkman tries to yank the tablecloth out from under glasses and dishes and succeeds in only the flowers remaining intact. Egon and Venkman fire streams at Slimer to hold him in and bring him down into the trap. An alien arm bursts up through a couch arm next to Dana and muffles her. Another bursts up through the front of the couch, holding her down and a third does the same. Her recliner then spins around and goes toward the kitchen door, sending her to the waiting monster. A roar is heard from Louis's bedroom, with a monster bursting through the door after and flying onto a table, scaring his guests. Louis runs across from his apartment building to nearby, trying to escape the monster, but no luck. Walter's insistence that the ghost-containing equipment be shut down leads to the top of the Ghostbusters building come off and apparitions escaping, terrorizing citizens, such as one apparition having a time with subway passengers coming from underground, a taxicab driven by a decrepit skeleton, and Slimer having a gastronomical time at a hot dog cart. Walter then states that this is the fault of the Ghostbusters and Egon exclaims, "Your mother!" and tries to attack him. Zuul-as-Dana looks out the window at the flying apparitions and after they pass by, the windows explode and so does a lot else. Gozer fires bolts from her hands at the Ghostbusters, knocking them backwards. A huge monster stalks through the city, causing people to scramble, and it soon scales the troublesome apartment building. Despite it being more dangerous than it could possibly be worth, the Ghostbusters cross the streams of their nuclear accelerators to attack a temple-like structure and the apparition it belongs to. An explosion sends white goo everywhere, splashing down mostly on one man on the street. 5/10. ========================================================= Blood/Gore: Clear goo drips from card catalog drawers in the basement of the New York Public Library, "ectoplasmic residue" according to Ray. Countering Egon's request for a sample of that goo, Venkman asks, "Somebody blows their nose and you want to keep it?" After collecting some but getting it on his hand, Venkman wipes it on shelves of books behind him. He then re-joins the others and hands over a plastic shell-type case, saying, "Egon, your mucus." Slimer rushes through a wall, leaving small streams of goo sliding down the wall. Slimer rushes towards Venkman and when Ray gets to him, we see that Venkman's been heavily slimed, goo all over him. White goo goes everywhere after a very large monster is destroyed, and a deluge of it showers down on someone on the street. 4/10. ========================================================= Profanity: At least 5 "s" words, 3 slang terms for male genitals (2 "d*ck," 1 "p*cker"), 4 asses (1 used with "hole"), 3 hells (1 spray painted on a door), 1 bitch, and 3 uses of "Oh my God, 2 uses of "Oh God" and "God," and 1 use each of "G-damn," and "Jesus" as exclamations. 5/10. ========================================================= Alcohol/Drugs: Venkman asks the shaken librarian if she's "habitually using drugs, stimulants, alcohol." At the university campus, Venkman puts down a bottle of alcohol to talk to Ray more closely, and after, Ray takes a swig from the bottle and so does Venkman. At dinner, the men toast to their first customer and Ray and Venkman drink from their Budweiser cans. A room service cart crashes into a wall in a hotel hallway, and a champagne bucket with a bottle falls to the floor along with broken dishes. The ghost Slimer goes straight for the booze in a ballroom, chugging the contents of a bottle. 4/10. ========================================================= Smoking: Ray smokes at least seven times, Venkman smokes once, and Winston smokes once. 6/10. ========================================================= Ghostbusters is an absolutely hilarious horror-comedy film, I definitely recommend it to fans of the genre. I give it 8/10. =========================================================
Parent of a 7 and 9 year old Written byfunmommyk October 10, 2009

Parents might be a little uncomfortable - but the kids loved it!

I definitely noticed the sexually suggestive scenes when watching with my 7 and 10 year-olds - but it went right over their heads. There were a few bad words (sh*t, b*tch) but again, I don't think it was a big deal. Too much smoking...but I don't think seeing these guys smoke is going to make my kids want to. They LOVED it and thought it was super funny - they keep talking about the slime and the marshmallow man!
Adult Written bylaurahutch April 9, 2008

Blast from the past

I'd have to disagree slightly with the "not an issue" rating of the CSM reviewers on the topics of "sex" and "drugs/alcohol" (which actually includes tobacco on the main review page but for some reason isn't included on the adult ratings page). I think "receiving oral pleasure" from a ghost not to mention Sigourney Weaver writhing around on the bed should rate an "iffy" in the sec category. But my biggest gripe about the movie, and the rating, is all the gratuitous smoking. I'm fine with smoking on screen because it does on occasion give an indication as to character. However, there is no earthly (no pun intended!) reason for the guys in Ghostbusters to be lighting up. And they do. Constantly. And they're the heroes, the guys we're rooting for, who have a lot of otherwise admirable qualities.
Parent of a 5 and 8 year old Written byKLRH October 23, 2009

should be PG 13

This movie is filled with sh*t, B*tch, *ss, *sshole, p*ss, d*ck, d*ckless p*cker and I quote during a sexual come on, "I want you inside of me." This did not seem like a movie for children. I did not remember it having such horrible language and a high level of sexual content. This movie would have been just as good or better if they chose to use different language. This movie came out before PG-13 ratings which it should definitely have.
Parent of a 5, 10, and 11 year old Written bycorrie5 September 20, 2009

Only over age 14

I don't think this is 'tame' when it comes to the sexual content. Alot of innuendo and obvious 'come - on' scenes.
Parent of a 4, 9, 12, and 14 year old Written bydeann22666 June 30, 2009

fun, but too much sexual content

I was not comfortable with the level of sexual content. Without those few scenes the movie is fine.
Parent Written byathlon32 March 28, 2013

HORRIBLE MOVIE

HORRIBLE MOVIE. NOT FOR KIDS. PERIOD.
Adult Written byAndy RC April 7, 2012

The kids love us

First saw this when I was 5. loved it then, love it now. the scariest part then was the library ghost when it screams at the Ghostbusters. nothing else I found scary, only mildly when Dana talks in a demonic voice. That whole scene where Dana is possessed the dialog that sounds a bit sexual goes completely over a child.
Kid, 3 years old September 25, 2011

ghost busteres

Adult Written byjacob a February 25, 2015

A fun kids thriller!

Awesome, nothing bad in it at all.
Parent of a 11 and 13 year old Written bymarierm August 29, 2014

Surprised CSM rated this OK for 10 and up

Too much sexual innuendo for kids. High school and up, 8th grade at the minimum.
Teen, 14 years old Written bydoctor11 September 16, 2013

A classic! A little suggestive though

i loved this movie as a kid and i still love it. there are some probs though. VIOLENCE AND SCARINESS- personaly i dont think the violence is that bad. the Busters just capture the ghosts rather than "kill"(i suppose u could say) them. a few of the ghosts can be scary though. there is this this ghost in the biginning that scared the sanity out of a librarian just by yelling at her. there is also this "god" named zule that looks like the devil. he can be quite scary. there arent just scary ghosts though. some are goofy and played for laughs. SUGGESTIVE STUFF- a demon possess a characters body and will often say and do things that can be very innapropriate. i think she once said, "do you want this body." and many otherthings. LANGUAGE- d*mn, sh*t, p*ss, d*ck, h*ll ALCHOHOL AND SMOKING- every single one of the Busters are seen smoking at least once in this movie.they do share some booze once or twice. i think the first time i saw this was at age 9 or so and i was fine with it.
Educator and Parent of a 9 year old Written byginnytho March 8, 2013

not recommended

This review is misleading that Ghost Busters is a good family film. We were disappointed by the sexual innuendo and it wasn't really all that funny.
Parent of a 6, 10, and 11 year old Written byhyjean September 30, 2009
I don't think my 11 year old needs to see a ghost giving "oral pleasure" to anyone! No thanks!