All member reviews for G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra

Too violent for kids, too childish for grown-ups.

Kid, 10 years old October 22, 2009

I thought it was good violence was the worst part.
Teen, 15 years old Written byP dump September 4, 2009

Great movie to see with friends- so you can laugh together

Commonsense, summed it up. I would just like to add, its cheesy as a get-out. 170mil. and this is what we get? Based off the cartoon, and, I would imagine, just as dumb.
Teen, 15 years old Written bycross_breed August 14, 2009

Decent Action, Terrible Acting, Worse Writing

Not too violent. The action sequences aren't bad but the writing is horrible. The acting is also awful. It's not worth watching. If you chose to look at it this way, which I do, it can also be received as a big fat load of propaganda. It shows the Army to be absolutely glamorous in the way it performs, which is about as far from the truth as you can get. Skip this one and watch District 9.
Adult Written bycoldmiser August 7, 2009

If you let your kids watch Iron Man, then you should be ok with this.

While I agree this movie has tones of violent action, there is little blood and most of the violence is over the top and cartoon-ish. The decapitations are, for the most part implied, and never actually seen (no rolling heads, and no extended or clear shots of the bodies). These happen so fast my son didn't even notice them. My two biggest concerns that parents might have are with the very begining...a man has a hot iron mask put on him and while we only hear him scream and see his eye wide with terror, it could be scary for smaller kids. Another is another scene where a dead mans head sort of melts. It's brief, but again could bother younger kids. Over all this is a fast paced film that will keep most 9+ engaged for the the very quick 2 hours this movie runs. If you had no problem with Iron Man or Transformers 2 (G.I. Joe doesn't even come close to the languange Transformers 2 used btw), then you won't have a problem with this. Totally fun ride!
Parent of a 13 year old Written byCSM Screen Name... August 5, 2009

Violent PG-13 Action Thriler good for 13+

Parents should know that although there's no blood, there's heads getting cut off, and a ton of action scenes throughout. Lots of fights, explosions, weapons, and punches. Weapons include missile launchers, swords, guns, etc. Kids will want to see it, and that's okay for ages 13+, because there's no blood. However, be warned, this stretches the limit of PG-13.
Kid, 11 years old October 24, 2014

The worst movie of all time

Violence- 4 (Brutal violence and many explosions)
Teen, 13 years old Written byTom Cruise Fan October 4, 2014

G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra movie review

I was so excited to see "G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra" when it first came out. When I watched the movie, I was bored out of my mind. The movie was so bad. It was a movie with a horrible screenplay, terrible acting, and a dreadful development of characters. I have no idea what the filmmakers were thinking. The first word that comes into my mind when someone mentions this movie is hell. Watching this movie is basically hell. What have I ever done to Hollywood? This movie was torture to my eyes. The movie focuses way too much on the action and to be honest, the action wasn't that good. The acting is horrible and the entire movie itself is very crude at times. The big question I have is "Why was this film so miserable?". I almost gave up in life after watching this movie. Luckily, there were some good movies after this crap-bomb came out in 2009. I strongly suggest skipping this movie. I was so glad that the sequel was better.
Kid, 11 years old January 17, 2014

Too violent for Hasbro's age demographic, suitable for older tweens and teens, however, it tops Hasbro's previous attempts at making good movies.

As apparent in Stephen Summers' other flicks, it's filled with extreme (albeit minimally bloody/gory) violence, however I believe that "G. I Joe: The Rise of Cobra" rightfully deserved it PG-13 rating. Like the similarly inspired "Transformers" movies, there is some strong langauge, although no f-words, there are a couple s-words, and a handful of uses of b*stard, h*ll, a*s, p*ss, d*mn, g*d*mn, and S.O.B. included in the dialogue. There is constant and extreme, however generally bloodless action violence, including a plethora of disturbing medical procedures (often on screen) and all involving needles. Sex is limited to kissing, banter, and discussion of 'touching," all together, pretty unsuitable content to be featured in a movie used to promote action figures, as were all of the other Hasbro flicks (i.e. "Transformers," "Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen," "Transformers: Dark of the Moon," and "G. I. Joe: Retaliation.") I feel it was unnecessary for Stephen Summer to include content that should be left to older tween viewers rather than Hasbro's intended age demographic with their products. Although this movie is to violent for kids, and too stupid for adults, it's a perfect choice for older tweens/ near teens and teenage viewers, this may even interest boys (or girls perhaps) as old as 14 or 15. However, I can not comprehend why they utilized such main-stream actors and actresses to play in very brief roles (Brendan Fraser, Dennis Quaid, and Joseph Gordon Levvit play apparent put momentary roles). Overall, "G. I.Joe: The Rise of Cobra is underrated by critics, and deserves a better reputation, as does it's sequel, and is worth watching once or twice depending on your interests and your parents concept for content suitability.
Kid, 10 years old July 15, 2013

Awesome, under rated action movie from director Stephen Sommers

Has really good special effects and a decent (though somewhat unoriginal) story. It's also funny and a great movie for action loving kids age 8 & up. One of the best action movies of the year. My mpaa rating PG-13 for sequences of combat/sci-fi action violence, some disturbing images, and brief language.
Teen, 13 years old Written bymovielover7271 May 8, 2013

Worth it

This is one of those movies that starts off so cheesy that you can't stop laughing, but as it progresses on it doesn't turn out to be that bad. Channing tatum is a good actor in this movie and so was whoever played ripcord. I say this is ok for ages 12+ because there is lots of violence and some disturbing images. Try it out if your a fan of the gi joe comics and action figures
Teen, 14 years old Written bySomeoneYouDon'tKnow April 7, 2013

Childish and nonsensical, but nonetheless fun

I have only a very slight knowledge of the original G.I. Joe cartoon, and I have watched a few episodes, so I was on board with seeing this movie. And, ultimately, it fulfilled my exact expectations, which were basically just average. As you'd probably expect, the film largely succeeds on the level of its action sequences, which were well choreographed and exciting, both from the martial arts and military action. And the CGI was pretty cool, especially during the scene of the Eiffel Tower's destruction. Also, with the exception of the ultra-flat Dennis Quaid, the acting is enthusiastic, particularly from Channing Tatum, who offers an appropriate amount of emotional sincerity to his role, and the dialogue is passable. Yet, like Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, the film suffers from a general messiness; the plot was nonsensical and vapid, with no coherency, meaning, or tension, just brainless action. And the character development was rushed, stupid, and basically nonexistent, and the constant unnecessary backstory flashbacks got very annoying after a while. Plus, the film just took itself way too seriously; there were too many overly dark moments that tried their best to seem menacing and grim, but just didn't really blend with the overt childishness and silliness that dominated the rest of the film. And it pays little homage to the original cartoon, changing the craft of the characters and giving us an unfamiliar plot. I think I expected more from someone like Stephen Sommers, who proved that he can make great PG-13 action films with Van Helsing and The Mummy. But I guess he could have done worse (The Mummy Returns). This movie is certainly nothing special or memorable, but the preteens will be pleased to the fullest extent, and the older ones will have a chuckle or two.
Teen, 17 years old Written bymoviewannabe March 17, 2013

Extremely violent, but it was amusing

G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra is a REALLY good film!! I remember seeing this when I was 13. The action was completely filled with brave soldiers fighting evil.
Kid, 12 years old November 24, 2012

cartoony,minty,violent,wierd

gi joe the rise of cobra is a cartoony flick that is is surprisingly....whats the word ? colorful and yet VERY violent . many baddies are stabbed in the eye and get their heads blown of from explosives but do give it a try if you like action.
Teen, 14 years old Written byStevie111 May 14, 2012

Explosive action movie has non-stop sci-fi violence

This movie is definitely done for younger audience, but it is extremely violent. It doesn't let up. There's no blood or other mature things, just pervasive violence.
Teen, 13 years old Written byFILMCRITIC500 April 15, 2012

war movie delivers nonstop violence, lots of destruction

this is one of the most epic movies ever to be shown anywhere. it has nonstop violence, destruction, perfectly executed fight scenes, and is just plain awesome. this movie contains plentiful fighting with guns, swords, bombs, lasers, missiles, and lots of other futuristic and military weapons. in one scene, the eiffel tower is destroyed, along with many cars. language is frequent, but is kept to moderate levels.
Teen, 13 years old Written byjb223 April 5, 2012

Disappointing

Just as much Mindless Violence as Transformers Revenge Of The Fallen
Teen, 15 years old Written byTotally500 March 2, 2012

G.I Joe is god awful!

This is painful god awful one of the worst do i have to explain whats wrong with it?
Teen, 15 years old Written byRobbyboyfye16 January 15, 2012

G.I. joe movie

blood splatering gi joe is a boring but violent Action Movie.
Teen, 15 years old Written byRapstartswithC September 20, 2011

Awesome & Thrilling, but Not For Kids

GOOD ROLE MODELS--heroes that protect all people for the greater good. VIOLENCE--heavy violence with guns, swords, and streetfighting. Dead bodies are seen; scary images (including a man being eaten by Warheads, which presents a nightmare for children 13-). SEX--mild cleavage, talk about "touching" (one man being jealous of another, using "touch" as the beginning of a repeated threat), a few brief kisses. LANGUAGE--Lots of language, particularily at the beginning, but it dies down about half-way through. (Several 'a**', 'sh**', one or two 'b***h', and mild 'hell' and 'd**n'.
Adult Written byaction man June 25, 2011

it is ok

it is not xtrame volint.but your kids will find it a bit boring becuse it does not resemble the older gi joe.the characters are not like gi joe.it has the name gi joe but it has nothing to do with.i recomend gi joe spy troops or gi joe valor vs venom or sigma 6.