Masterful but really violent Oscar winner.

Kid, 12 years old June 20, 2011

Shouldn't Be R

Gladiator is a unique movie, but a somewhat predictable storyline. It's still a great movie, but you can anticipate the ending from the beginning. There is only one reason this is R...violence. There are bloody moments, some blood spurting, and slow motion violence. But, not enough to give the movie an R rating. I've seen worse PG-13 movies. Also (I don't know whether this will help you) Gladiator won Best Picture of 2000.
Adult Written byfritzsky April 9, 2008

Great Movie

This is a great movie. It has a very good story and Russell Crowe is perfect as Maximus. However, it is extremely violent and I would only recommend it to someone who is mature and about 16 or older.
Kid, 10 years old September 16, 2009

awesome war/epic battle flick.

This is a great, but extremley violent epic battle movie. Another good movie I've reviewed.
Adult Written bysidthekid January 31, 2012

G.O.A.T (greatest of all time)

Gladiator is one of the greatest movies of all time. From the plot to the way it was shot. It is one of the only rated R movies that I would recommend to a middle schooler or high schooler. the only reason it is really rated R is for its violence and gore. There isn't any inappropriate sex scenes or foul language. The movies plot is about a man named Maximus that was a leader of the Roman army and double crossed by the emperor's son who later becomes the Emperor of Rome. The anger and Hate Maximus has for his enemy fuels him through may epic battles in the arena. The character Maximus played by Russell Crowe is played perfectly. His look and the way Russell portrays his hate sells the whole movie for me. The way the movie was shot from the CGI Coliseum to the costumes worn gave the movie a realistic feel. The dramatic angles and editing made the fight scenes second to none in this movies genre. Gladiator is a movie that will be timeless. No doubt in my mind my children and their children will still be watching this movie. The awards this movie won could speak for themselves, but I recommend that you find out for yourself how great this movie is. I rate this movie 10 out of 10.
Adult Written bychristian2011 December 6, 2012

Incredible, beautifully mastered historial epic.

This movie is an amazing triumph, a perfect blending of plot, atmosphere, action, and dimensional characters in the historical themed movies. Russell Crowe plays as the courageous, wise and fearless leader Maximus; and Joaquin Phoenix plays as the cruel, sadistic, vile Julius Caesar, whom even murdered his own father in order to obtain his position, especially for the power. Violence is a major concern for this movie. You clearly witness gladiators brutally and graphically slicing and dismembering one another with bloody and gory results, especially one gets cut in half by one of the chariot wheel spikes. All gladiator deaths shown are very gruesome and disturbing to witness. There's no foul language in this film, yet there's some sexual/crude references to rape and incest. The scene in the end is very upsetting and emotional.
Teen, 13 years old Written by9001 April 1, 2010

Great but grisly movie. Iffy for ages 16-18. Rated R for intense, graphic combat.

This was a great movie, but it was very, very disturbing. The blood and violence didn't bother me very much - it was more of the theme of killing people for sport and the crowd egging on murder that disturbed me. The parts that disturbed me the most were when a man smothered his father to death and when the murders of a characters' wife and child are described. The woman was r***d, then crucified and burned, and the child was crucified and burned (this is NOT shown, but it is talked about and in one scene you see just the feet of their burnt bodies hanging from the crosses). The most graphic reference to this is "They tell me the child squealed like a girl when they nailed him to the cross", and "Your wife moaned (or wailed, I forget which word they used) like a w**** when they r***ged her again, and again, and again". Language includes one use each of the words: h***, $***h***, b!***, w****. A brother tries to get his sister to kiss him and have --- with him, and sometimes appears to ---ually abuse her, but there is no actual kissing or @#$ shown between the brother and sister. Overall, this is a very adult, violent, graphic, and disturbing movie, and is definitely not for kids. Off for ages 15 and under, iffy for ages 16-18, on for ages 18+.
Adult Written bysree has February 23, 2014

Good but too long.....

Good movie but too long and predictable.
Teen, 16 years old Written byteamjacobgirl2.0 May 29, 2011

Great!

Wonderful and amazing movie. Just amazing.
Adult Written byJEDI micah October 29, 2012

This is Russell Crowe's best!

If you watch the edited version of this movie on TV, it's not as bad as watching it on DVD! But it's still a great movie! The action is awesome, the acting is excellent, Caesar is funny, while also creepy, and the visual effects is breathtaking! For older kids, this is a great movie!
Teen, 14 years old Written byIlovemoviesreviews March 15, 2016

This film is a masterpiece but not for young kids AT ALL!

This is the best movie I have seen but very easily the most violent I have seen as well. It's has constant graphic bloody violence. A lot of violence and quickly glimpsed so it's not especially painful except for when a emperor breaks his dad's neck by squeezing it.
Parent of a 7 year old Written byhouchinsn September 11, 2010

A really great movie.

I love this movie. My 7 year old, his dad and I watch it all the time. I love it!! It is violent but hey, my son loves it, hes a boy and loves fighting and wrestling, but what little boy doesnt?
Adult Written byPollyRoger April 9, 2008

Very violent, but captivating movie

Gladiator is properly rated. The violence and gore in this is definitely too much for your average kid. There's some incest reference, with Commodus being in love with his sister. Commodus is downright evil, willing to kill anyone who gets in his way, even his own father. I'm not really remembering any cursing, but there may have been a minor word here and there. Commodus tells Maximus that his wife "moaned like a whore as [the soldiers] ravaged her". My 12-year-old sister has seen this, but I would definitely not recommend it for anyone younger than 15 or 16. I'd suggest waiting until it's played on TV, which it is, frequently.
Parent Written byagenthappyman July 20, 2012

Very good movie

Lots of graphic, intense combat violence as well as sexual dialouge.
Adult Written byJeremy Z February 9, 2012

Epic

Excellent movie. Great message about fighting for what you believe in. Content wise, there are several references to rape and crucifixion (not all that bad), the main issue is the blood. With the movie title in mind, there's limb-hacking, head chopping, and plenty of blood to go around. Ultimately, a great movie for mature teens.
Parent of a 6, 8, 12, and 15 year old Written bycheval85 October 31, 2009

Great for adults or mature teens

I love this movie but it is not for children! My very mature 15 yr. old was able to appreciate it. Russell Crowe is a great actor (you forget he's acting) and the consummate hero which is so rare today. This movie reminds me that there are things in life worth fighting for!
Adult Written bytrojan51 April 9, 2008
Parent Written byconcernedparenzzz July 2, 2013

Top 10 Movie of all Time

If you have not heard about this movie by now, then you've not been paying attention to modern day classics being made. On the level with Spartacus - Kirk Douglas. It's a guy's movie, but can be enjoyed by ladies too - it has a good story line. I guess it says something when a movie gets an Oscar nod.
Kid, 11 years old February 19, 2012

great

great, but commonsensemedia, i think you are going a bit over the top to say it is OFF for 14.
Adult Written byIzzysammy February 19, 2011
Teen, 14 years old Written byJadenp February 11, 2011

Perfect for teens & adults. Amazing movie.

Amazing movie. It seems Russell Crowe was BORN for this movie! Very good, and don't let the R rating make you think it's too violent for teens or kids. It's too violent to be a PG-13, but also, not exactly THAT violent to get a R rating. I watched it last night, and there are only 4-5 scenes of violence. Scenes in the Gladiator Arena are pretty graphic, with lots of blood, but the camera does NOT linger! You see blood for a split second, and then the camera changes views. It's very good and inspiring, and there's no language or sexual content. It's perfect for teens and adults!