All member reviews for Godzilla

Iconic movie monster once again wreaks massive destruction.

Kid, 10 years old May 24, 2014

Had High Hopes For Monster Motion Picture, But Was Horrible!

This movie was not as violent as you would imagine, I am a ten year old and I never was shocked, disturbed, or slightly scared the whole movie, however it still has a good amount of DESTRUCTION! There is very little blood and it has a good message about no meddling with the environment. However, despite all of the positives, one scene of kissing mad a little uncomfortable and it lacked more battle scenes, too much talking! It bored me so much! Otherwise, it is a fine movie for kids 8 and up.
Parent of a 9 year old Written bybr14n May 18, 2014
Educator and Parent Written bymafeulner June 8, 2014

A Great New Spin on an Old Classic

So far, my son's favorite this summer season. Lots of violence, but it's a Godzilla movie, cities must be devastated. They really put a very human story to the giant monster genre. It dealt with the trauma of loss, alienation, reconciliation and vindication, all in the first half of the film. Wonderfully done!
Adult Written byJohnem95 May 16, 2014

A monstrously fun popcorn flick!

If your kid(s) is/are into monster movies, they'll most likely love Godzilla. Just note that this is an intense movie that has several loud scenes that'll shake your seat. Also watch for one frightening "jump" scare that occurs during a scene taking place on a bus. If your kids can handle intense, loud stuff though, they ought to be just fine seeing this in the theater.
Kid, 12 years old June 6, 2014

Fantastic visual representation of a true cinema god

Godzilla is finally back!! First off, the film is fantastic. The visual representation of massive monsters destroying city's is quite beautiful. The acting is very good, and the film definitely delivers heavily. Parents should know that the battle scenes can get intense at times, and the MUTO creatures will frighten very young children. With today's standard, knowing the intensity of the video games most young people play, this film should bring a very exciting and dramatic feel. The film will get emotional, and there is a suggestive make-out scene, but children wouldn't pick anything up. The human violence is limited to trapped survivors, some soldiers with blood on their face, and a very sad death scene, where visible blood is seen around a rather graphic head injury that is covered by sheets. The language in the film is very low considering what some PG-13 movies will have. If a parent is worried about suggestive sexual material, and language, there is a very quick and interrupted kissing scene. And there are about four uses of the S WORD, which is incredibly mild for a 13+. For parents worried about violence and scary images. The monsters can be frightening, and very intimidating. The destruction is very intense. There is a scene where blood is scene around a monsters damaged head, but the head is not the focus of the shot, and it takes place at night. Some sudden moments with monsters unexpectedly appearing, and war and military violence. Containing a lot of gunfire and explosions. Cities are leveled, but the most destruction is not seen on camera, and on news reports. A parent should supervise their younger children
Kid, 11 years old May 17, 2014

The King of the Monsters

My profile is https://www.commonsensemedia.org/users/epic-waffles I just saw this movie with two of my friends and it is straight out AWESOME. It might give kids 8 and under nightmares though, and ages 9 to 10 might just find it scary. Warning that that there are some previews in the theaters that are for scary horror movies. There is lots of violence and lots of people die however, and they say a sware and say two other bad words that parents might not find suitable. The bad words are hell and damn, and the sware that is used rarely in the movie is s**t. The only sexy stuff is when the couple kiss.
Kid, 11 years old July 26, 2014

Omg this is NOT scary

This is not scary.I mean, who's scared of some giant lizard?It would only be scary for LITTLE KIDS.Otherwise,its ok.In fact, its really interesting.
Teen, 14 years old Written byShamurocks July 17, 2014

Amazing monster comeback might be too much for little kids.

This movie was amazing, but there still are some scenes that could rather frighten kids. First of all the roars are VERY LOUD (with Godzilla's roar being THE LOUDEST). Also ( FEW SPOILERS) Godzilla and the MUTOs fight. While doing so, they wreck some buildings (Nobody is shown inside the building). And there are plenty of jump scenes throughout the movie. The MUTOs can be very frightening sometimes with both their appearance and violent, wrecking behavior. Two characters die. The MUTOs also stomp on humans as if they are nothing but ants. Some scenes (including roars) can be very loud. Also two characters kiss in one scene. Two character also kiss dirty (close to having sex) briefly but are interrupted by a phone call. Two characters kiss again in the end. Now, language. The word "sh*t" is said a couple of times. "D*mn it" and "bull" is said once. On the positive side, Ford Brody is a great role model. He takes care of a kid seperated from his family (-SPOILER- the boy reunites with his family later on). He is also willing to risk his life for others. And the movie also has some messages about not to mess with nature. Just be careful about this one. Let the younger ones see Maleficent instead.
Teen, 14 years old Written bymovielover7271 June 15, 2014

This could've been so much better

The trailers for this movie were amazing, and I had godzilla as one of my most anticipated movies of the year. I'll tell you this, it was a major disappointment. The movie itself wasn't that bad, but you had to sit through about an hour of human drama before getting to the title character. And a little spoiler here, the two other monsters in the movie really took away from what I was excited for, Godzilla himself! Not a terrible movie but not what was expected. Best for 11+ because of the large scale destructive violence.
Educator and Parent Written byMovie Review Maven June 1, 2014

Monster of a movie

Movie Title: Godzilla [HD] PG-13, 2 hour 3 minutes Grade: A- In a Nutshell: I love it when a movie trailer doesn’t reveal major plot points in an upcoming movie so that you’re pleasantly surprised. Godzilla [HD] has all of the intensity, stunning visual effects, impressive sound design and suspense you’ve been wanting from this franchise for years. Suspend your disbelief and enjoy the monstrous fun. Box office sales proves that, just like Godzilla, this movie franchise won't die. Uplifting theme: There are good monsters and bad monsters. Humans too. Awww. There are nice examples in the flick of heroism, loyalty, sacrifice, and honor. Things I liked: Disaster movie lovers will get a kick out of watching Las Vegas and San Francisco get destroyed. Great special effects. I loved the TV ticker line “Breaking News: Live Terror in Vegas!” The movie makes it current by including present-day concerns about compromised Japanese nuclear power plants being a danger to nearby communities and beyond. I liked how it tried to wrap the story around the 1954 Godzilla movie’s fear of the atomic age. Bryan Cranston makes everything better. Monsters Director Gareth Edwards is great at creating chaos and pandemonium. I watched it in IMAX 3D, which offers some moments when I really felt inside the movie. At one point, I thought an audience member was standing in front of me and I almost asked him to move, but then realized it was the 3D effect. Go Army! (SPOILER ALERT) I loved it when a “certain” monster glowed with fire inside. Godzilla spews cool blue fire. I loved the scene where the skydivers dropped from the clouds, trailing red flares. Aaron Taylor-Johnson conveniently arrives in the right place at the right time to offer the ongoing thread that keeps the human story running alongside the monsters. He’s likeable enough to get the job done as hero and provides another shout-out to the real everyday heroes in today’s U.S.Army. My oldest son is an officer in the Army, so can I get a “Hooah!”? It was clever to show old movie clips in the beginning to bring newbies to the Godzilla franchise up to speed. One of the few funny moments of the flick featured some Japanese parents in an airport getting annoyed at their Emo kid. I loved seeing the city and aerial views of Tokyo. One of the best lines in the movie was when a Japanese doctor gets to say “We call him… Godzirra.” There are a few scene transitions that made the audience laugh out loud because they were expecting to see a real monster, but instead, saw a pet chameleon and a toy dinosaur. Things I didn’t like: Audiences can’t help but compare this film to last summer’s blockbuster Pacific Rim . They’re both fun, but Pacific Rim had some fresh elements that Godzilla [HD] can’t compete with (uber cool, digital kaiju, gigantic robot soldier fight scenes). Click here for my review of Pacific Rim. While the 1998 Mathew Broderick version felt more like a cartoon, this one is full of drama. In fact, it needs a touch of humor to offset the fact that it takes itself so seriously. The back story provided some meat, but was a bit contorted at times. Not nearly enough monster fight scenes. Not nearly enough Godzilla. He almost plays a supporting role. Dr. Ishiro Seriwaza does two things well in the movie: utter profound statements about Godzirra, and stare in disbelief with his mouth open. Thanks for the uncomfortable reminder that I live near Yucca Mountain... Interesting lines: “The arrogance of man is thinking nature is under our control and not the other way around.” – Dr. Ishiro Seriwaza “The king of monsters is the savior of our city.” “Nature has a power to restore its bounds. I believe he is that nature.” - Dr. Ishiro Seriwaza Tips for parents: Loving married relationships instead of sexual content is refreshing. Very mild profanity that’s hardly noticeable because so many other things are going on. Lots of destruction and monster violence. That's what you came to see though, right?
Parent of a 4 and 9 year old Written bygeekdad.fr May 24, 2014

Not bad, but not great

It's a well done movie, but I expected more Godzilla action, more excitement, more city destruction. In the recent movies featuring kaiju, I liked Pacific Rim better. The film is ok for kids age 8/9 and up, depending on what they've already seen. A kid who's already been through some Jurassic Park won't be scared by Godzilla. A kid who's always been on Disney stuff will probably be more impressed.
Teen, 15 years old Written byGaberdoodle May 17, 2014

Huge Monster Movie that Doesn't Live up to the Trailers

First of all, the CGI is incredible. The monsters and destruction and explosions are great. However, some aspects of the movie don't live up to the trailers. From the beginning to the middle, it looks like there is about to be an awesome action scene and then it just cuts the screen to some people talking. Also, I was hoping that Godzilla would be the destroyer, not the "savior" of earth. Other than that, it was okay. (1 is the least amount and 10 is the most for the following categories. Sex/Nudity - 2 - a husband and wife start to kiss passionately before being interrupted by a phone call. Alcohol/Drugs - 0 - None Action/Violence - 7 - Lots of explosions and destruction. Planes are hit out the sky, a tsunami kills many people, trains are destroyed, and buildings collapse. The last 30 min, where Godzilla fights other monsters, is really intense. Two atom bombs go off. Language - 3 - Couple of uses of "da**", "h***", and one or two of "s***". Overall, this is an okay movie if you love big action, but just be aware because the trailers made it look like a totally different movie.
Adult Written byjh1 March 29, 2015

Awesome!

This movie is ok for kids. I love it!
Adult Written byizzyrocks December 12, 2014

AMAZING MOVIE!

The effects was awesome and its on the big screen! Godzilla is back and its been 10 years! I loved the movie it was sad and had some action scenes. There were some scenes were they kissed but other it was amazing! Great job I really liked it!
Teen, 14 years old Written byWhalelover1000 November 15, 2014

Godzilla is great, but may be too intense for most kids.

Godzilla has it all, brilliant CGI, great acting, suspense, and of course, Godzilla himself! But as great as the film is, it could a bit intense sometimes for some kids. - Violence: There is a brief scene of a tsunami crashing over Hawaii (caused by Godzilla's arrival). Godzilla briefly destroys a bridge containing buses full of children (nobody is killed or hurt in any way). Godzilla and the MUTOs battle in huge clashes (there is huge battle between towards the end) Cities are destroyed by the MUTOs. There is also explosions, peril, and a few jump scare scenes. Bodies are strewn about after a MUTO attack. Monsters squash humans as they are nothing but ants. Spoiler Alert: Two minor characters die, both deaths are a bit upsetting. - Sex: Ford and Elle briefly kiss passionately-- they are interrupted by a phone call. That is just about it. - Language: sh-t is used a few times. - Drinking and Drugs: Ford and Elle drink a glass of wine in one scene. Overall, I recommend this movie for kids 10 and up. And not only is this movie thrilling and exciting, but it is perfect for all Godzilla fans.
Kid, 11 years old July 27, 2014

Monster and Military Violence.

Not what I expected at all. There is a weird line between people vs. monsters and monsters vs. monsters. The story is a little uneven but sure to keep teens and preteens entertained although the themes and amount of destruction make it completely inappropriate for anyone under 8 although this is a good choice (and the best Godzilla movie so far) for 10 and up. MPAA rating: PG-13 for Intense sequences of creature violence and destruction.
Kid, 11 years old May 27, 2014

Roar

Very violent but other than that it's appropriate for ages 11+and mabey for ages 10+
Parent of a 8 and 17 year old Written byEdward Sanchez May 25, 2014

BEST MOVIE MY KIDS EVER SEEN!!!

My kids begged me to buy them things at the store. THINGS!!!
Teen, 15 years old Written byamericangladiator May 19, 2014

Godzilla is really the king of monsters!

This film was amazing in every way possible! From the effects to the acting to the plot. The only critique I have is that Godzilla needed more screen time. But other than that, the film was awesome! The fight scenes will have you on the edge of your seat, cheering for Godzilla to beat the MUTO's senseless. This film truly does live up to the hype.
Teen, 15 years old Written bymr.movie lover May 17, 2014

godzilla is still the king of all the monsters

godzilla is one of the best monsters ever and director Garth ewards definitely proves it. you will not be disapointed at all it is awesome on every scale. as far as intentness i would say 13 and up cause of violence and destruction.