All member reviews for Good Night, and Good Luck

Compelling political drama won't engage most kids.

Not yet rated
Adult Written bybethlthomson April 9, 2008
this is not for kids to see its for adlut or for teens only.
Parent of a 12 year old Written byTsion April 9, 2008

A Complex and Interesting Portrayal of 50s Journalism...

When I learned that George Clooney directed this film, I was eager to see it. I had read positive reviews about it online. I am glad I saw it. It was enticing and interesting; the script was decent and the acting excellent. But I didn't come away feeling wuite fufilled. The lessons of 50s history and the power of honesty are timeless and valuable, but I walked away wishing there was more to it. Don't get me wrong, it was a pretty darn good movie, and George Clooney was impressive in his writing, acting, and directing, but I expected more. Language is really the only issue in the movie, and it's mild. There are two "hells" and two "godd**ns". There is no sex, and no on-screen violence, though you hear brief talk of a troubled journalist who committed suicide. Everyone in the film smokes almost constantly and they drink a bit too, but smoking/drinking isn't promoted. It's an impressive movie. It's okay for kids 11 and up, but the plot, despite the slow pace of the film, moves moves fast and it can be hard for kids to keep up. Not a masterpiece or anything, but recommended.
Adult Written byGhcool April 9, 2008
Adult Written byCSM Screen Name... April 9, 2008

Revisionist History Lesson Continues

The facts are that many people in Hollywood in the '30s and '40s were, indeed, members of the Communist Party. They were using their celebrity status to further an ideal that has cost many millions of people their lives, and has cost many more millions of people their dreams. Good Night and Good Luck conveniently ignores the facts in order to promote the idea that Hollywood celebs and the Press are always the good guys. The truth is that Liberty requires Vigilence, then and now.
Teen, 14 years old Written byCaesar_12219 April 9, 2008
This is one of the best movies that I have seen in a long time. It accurately and rivetingly portrays the sense of fear and oppresion that surrounded the McCarthy era, further accentuating the bravery of Edward Murrow and his crew. Artistically filmed in black and white, the film seems somehow "cleaner", no artificial hustle and bustle to detract from the actual plot of the movie. It also displays the darker part of the media's influence. A great friend of Murrow depressed by constant critisism of him in the New York Times, is finally driven to despair and suicide, including a very moving scene of him sitting in his living room with the gas turned on. From the high points to the low, the story is one of bravery courage, and the true power of the media, artfully rendered, beautifully acted, and masterfully directed.
Adult Written bybaconc April 9, 2008

Such an important story

This is one of the great films of the year. The story is beautifully told. The cinemetography is magnificent, the acting superb. Most important, this is a story all Americans should see because it reminds us why the media, even with its flaws, is such a critical and essential part of a functioning democracy. Younger kids are not likely to understand this and will be bored, but it should be required for teenagers and adults.
Adult Written byweedthenmulch April 9, 2008

Outstanding movie with an important message

This movie was beautifully made. Cinematography, casting, and directing brought this important story to life. Teenagers that are socially and or politically aware, will find this movie compelling. I recommend it highly for teenagers and adults.
Teen, 15 years old Written byswruler April 9, 2008

Great movie

I'm a huge film buff, but I'm not afraid to admit that old movies DO bore me. Not all of them, I loved Psycho, Touch of Evil, etc. but some of them (especially the black and white ones) just make me feel tired. This movie is filmed just like an old movie, probably because movies were old (and in black and white) when this film took place. But I found it interesting (once you got into it) and a great historical peace to talk to your children about when they're, say, 11 (if they find it interesting, which few will) Although the movie features extensive smoking, you've got to hand it to Clooney: he made a movie that only some teens and adults are interested in, and he got it a PG rating, and no sex or violence even though he easily could have done that and gotten an R rating. We need more people like that in Hollywood.

see it.

"this is not for kids to see its for adlut or for teens only." I'm wondering what makes you say that...whatever, it's not true. Although most kids 9 or younger won't find this interesting, certainly some will (I would), and it's appropiate for mature kids 6 and up. It's fantastically filmed and very interesting, especially if you're interested in politics. I didn't get all of the references because I wasn't fully grounded in Communist history yet, but I still got the gist of the story. There's smoking, but c'mon, that was normal in that time period and honestly, without the cigarettes the movie wouldn't have been nearly the same.
Teen, 15 years old Written byMovieBuffMan123 April 9, 2008

very well made and intellectual

great movie but you would have to be a politics lover to under stand the concept and villain, any one who says that taking someone down with force is the only answer is horribly mistaken
Adult Written byjanwatches April 9, 2008