All member reviews for Good Will Hunting

Moving story of brilliant, troubled youth for older teens.

Adult Written byMmbegaye April 21, 2016

GOOD OSCAR HUNTING

Good Will Hunting Is an amazing independent film that has a lot of potential. This movie is an amazing performance by Matt Damon and Ben Affleck along side with Robin Williams who plays Will's therapist, all together they make “Good Will Hunting,” what it is today. It is filled with emotionally involving psychological drama, a notch above the mainstream purpose sense of its story. It's a brilliant working-class youngster who’s forced to come to terms with his creative genius and true feelings, it's tragically real with a tale and is always engaging and quite touching. Miramax was the producers and they did an amazing job at capturing the emoticons and actions of those in the movie. They proved that you did not need a huge Hollywood set in order to have Ana making movie. As I heard it scored huge with an enjoyable picture whose old-fashioned virtues should play well in big cities and not in a set. The movie was filled with laughter, smiles, and they looked sincere in the scenes. They made the best out of the low budget and received an OSCAR, it showed that with a lot of heart and a lot of well rehearsed roles they made an independent film look just like a huge Hollywood movie.
Teen, 17 years old Written byhammittjenn April 19, 2016

Willing to do or not.

This film was an independent film because it was (Matt Damon) & (Ben Affleck) first script to write about it. And I gave this film 5 stars because it was great on everything it showed me. Like for one example is how Will Hunting (Damon) is very smart when it comes to math but he doesn't want to like go to college or move to the next big thing. But Will gets into trouble then that's where, Proffesor Lambeau comes along and wants to help Will take the right path so he'll become successful person in the future with the talent that he has in him. But Sean (Robin Williams) knows or comes the from the same place where Will lives because practically thats where they came from. Sean agrees with professor Lambeau about helping Will take therapy instead taking time in jail. But at the end ... Will takes some offer but we don't know if he takes it or not. See, this film is very on point because Will is somewhat a criminal but shoot, he has a good brain with math and yet, he doesn't want to have a good decent job, home, or vehicle. The odd thing though is that he's a janitor at a college, MIT. In my perspective, the director made this movie to the point where the audience feels the way like the character does. It makes us understand how the emotions, the actions, and the physical stuff happen as if it was real. I know there some profanity words in here but in this generation of the world.. It makes completely sense with us. And yes, we are wished we want to be WIll Hunting so he could put used to his math brain instead of just wasting, I guess you could.
Adult Written byPaul Wahlburg April 19, 2016

Classic!

I gave Good will hunting 4/5 stars because it was and excellent watch, I enjoyed the movie very much it had just the right ratio of humor and drama and intelligence all morphed together and the result is a masterpiece. Good will hunting starts with the Character Will who is played well by Matt Damon, Will is presented as a trouble maker who can't control his anger and other emotions. But quickly you find out that there is something special about Will, and everyone else notices too. Will can solve math like nothing, he is a genius that could apply his knowledge and good memory to anything, like defending himself in court and getting out of sticky situations. After this I immediately liked Will and wanted to see the character develope. Will uses his knowledge to try to get out of therapy which works for about 5-6 therapists that say he is crazy and a waste of time when he's really just playing them. Then we are introduced to Sean a therapist that lost his wife, currently he works as a psychology teacher and knew Will's mentor in college. When Sean and Will first met they first tried to talk about Will's likes/dislikes and then Sean realized that Will is smarter than he thought when he acknowledged his painting. Sean did something no one else did, he was the one who was " in the hot seat" and they talked about his wife till Sean got mad, but they rescheduled. Sean realized that you have to talk about experience rather than knowledge to get through to Will and also open yourself up to Will's smart yet naive judgement. Overall the movie was excellent and good for any teen or young adult to watch.
Adult Written byRJames18 April 18, 2016

Matt Damon's genetic experiences.........

Matt Damon's emotions were bad & good between him and his friends, but when things begin to get interesting of his life, he meets a young girl in a bar with his friends then the genetic experience happens of telling his history in his mind of how he knows everything. One experience is how does he know every math problem in the hall of the school given by : (Stellan Skarsgård) Professor Gerald Lambeau that Will Hunting (Matt Damon) is tress by his past and future that he doesn't care about anyone but himself and his friends .......after he has to go threw with some help
Adult Written byCheescake.eater2016 April 18, 2016

That son of a bit** stole my line.

The film was very symbolic from the beginning of the movie to the end of the film. As will(Matt Damon ) had just minded his himself, than came along professor Gerald lambeau(Stellar Skarsgard). The scene very in general the best film, I had ever been able to get to watch. As each character casted each role like that was their real lifestyle. The procession of the plot was very off the chart. I realized that the plot had to be the most interesting while playing the film. The director(Gus Van Sant) had made the best film from a down low movie production. How he had made the characters seem so realistic. I liked the way how Gus Van Sant shot each scene that shows the audience a full view of the film. Each character had their own role and some of the actors had went along with the set up of the film. The sound was tremendously good and was only quiet when the director wanted us to her the important information. As the movie had been one of the independent movie that was ever made. This film had impacted a lot of people and most wouldnt realize what they have seen.
Teen, 17 years old Written bymhaven_10 April 18, 2016
For this film I gave it 5/5 stars because the film was amazing, the independent film had great actors. The director (Gus Van Sant) had great actors in the film, the film received best actor award. In the film Will (Matt Damon) gets in trouble a lot, and a smart mouth. But he is a genius in math, he can solve the most impossible math problems, he works as a janitor at MIT. Until he gets arrested for assaulting a police officer, then professor Gerald Lambeau (Stellan Skarsgard) and makes a deal with Will to go to therapy. The therapist Sean Maguire (Robin Williams) find that Will hasn't loved anything or he doesn't love him self. And as a boy Will experienced physical and verbal abuse. In the film Will meets a girl Skylar (Minnie Driver). Over all I think this movie was a great movie, that every family should watch. There are a lot of cussing, but still a great movie, the director had a great way of making the independent film.
Adult Written byAshleyLamo13 April 15, 2016

MIT Janitor Genius

I gave this movie 5 out of 5 stars because it was so so amazing! Matt Damon and Ben Afleck both worked to write this movie script and it was beautifully executed. I have never seen an independent film and knowing that this film was what got them started, I can see why. Matt Damon plays the guy who lives in a foster home and gets in trouble with the law all the time but is a complete genius who works as a janitor at Massachusetts Institute of Technology. His friends are completely crazy and not as smart as he is, but that isn't the problem. So he meets this girl, gets in trouble, gets bailed out by a professor who thinks he is the next Einstein, works for him to figure out impossible math problems, goes to his therapist who is played by Robin Williams, & gets figured out. For an independent film, I thought everything was just perfect. They had to actually go to each of the locations they filmed at instead of having sets built to look like it. It's spectacular! All the camera angles were just right and I like how they focused on the person when they would say something important and when it would pan out to show the whole problem that Will(Matt Damon) would work on. I think having them film at the actual locations, real life locations, makes it better to watch because you can actually go to those places in the exact location it was filmed at. Being an independent film made you connect to the movie more; that is why I rated this movie a 5 out of 5 stars.
Adult Written byaidans1 March 30, 2016
Teen, 15 years old Written byRonSwanson2K16 March 28, 2016

This is an amazing movie

I watched this movie on Netflix a while ago because I heard about it from a friend. It didn't sound good at first, but boy, was I ever wrong. First, you got an amazing cast (Damon, Williams, Affleck, Skarsgard, etc.) who all do an excellent job at making their characters feel like you've known them your whole life. Despite the fact that this is an excellent movie, it does have a few downsides. First, this movie is riddled with language, mainly 'f--k', which was used about 200 times, with a few of them referencing sexual intercourse. Speaking of which, this movie talks about sex a little bit, although most of it is joking between friends. After two characters have sex (which is not shown), they cuddle and kiss in bed. As for violence, there is a full-out brawl in one scene where a man is brutally beaten, and a cop is hit, but not anything excessively bloody. Overall, this movie is outstanding, and if you think your kid can handle the language, and he knows not to use it, then you should watch this movie immediately. You will NOT be disappointed.
Teen, 16 years old Written byhayleyxoxo February 12, 2016

A Great Movie

Good Will Hunting is one of the best movies I have ever seen. The storyline is exquisite, and you feel like a changed person after having seen it. Yes I know, "Why 13 and up? Isn't that too young?" Personally, I saw this movie when I was twelve. Although 13 is a very young age, and most 13 year old children should not be watching R rated movies, I made an exception for this one. Parents, do be aware that this R rating mainly implies very crude language and some sexual humor. There are one or two scenes where sex was implied. Nothing that a 13 year old in today's society hasn't witnessed in his/her everyday life. Overall, if your child is mature and can handle the sort of language this movie entails, it is definitely worth showing them.
Parent Written byDrkat February 7, 2016
Teen, 14 years old Written bypianogirl1 November 27, 2015

Don't be influenced to swear...

This is really a great movie and definetly on my top 10 list. You should make sure that the swearing in this movie won't influence your child to swear more since there is at least 2 swear words in most sentences. I don't swear anyways (honestly) so that didn't matter to me. There is a "bed" scene which is minor and a descriptive story about "it". There is not a lot of violence, few drinking/smoking scenes, thats about it. Its a very good story and YOU SHOULD WATCH IT!
Adult Written bygoodgirl June 24, 2015

Matt Daman is powerful in Good Will Hunting.

Matt's performance was great in the movie and so was his accent. movie for teens and adults . not kids because of swearing .
Parent Written bytom thatcher May 25, 2015

very important

i think this movie sends excellent messeges to kids. the only reason not to let them watch it is if your afraid of f--k being dropped which is honestly no big deal. i say they should watch it.
Parent of a 4, 11, and 17 year old Written byMlbrock January 17, 2015

Great movie, mature themes

Love the movie, watch it over and over again.
Teen, 17 years old Written byCoolrockboy3 January 1, 2015

Phenomenal Movie about a Brilliant but Troubled Teen

If you or your child is a movie-lover like me, you'll love "Good Will Hunting". There is a violent and bloody fist-fight fairly early on in the movie, having the main character almost beat a man to death. The swearing is very frequent with uses of words like "s--t" and "f--k" being the worst there is. The theme however can not be simply taken out in a TV version of the movie. As a boy, Will Hunting (played by Matt Damon) dealt with both physical and verbal abuse. In the film, there is also heavy talk about life, love, and loss, which may be a lot for a child or pre-teen to deal with. In my opinion, this movie is fine for anyone 15 and up. ✭✭✭✭✭
Kid, 10 years old November 11, 2014

Viewers Beware!

Tons of swearing. other than that. great movie
Teen, 14 years old Written byLevi Smith November 7, 2014
Kid, 12 years old August 25, 2014

A MASTERPIECE!!!!!!

a must see!!! , a fantastic movie
Educator Written bysimpleseth August 19, 2014

An Amazing Masterpiece!

If parents are concerned by the content, the only thing I would say is the frequent amount of strong language. Other than that, it's worth a watch!