All member reviews for Goodfellas

Masterful but brutal gangster tale isn't for kids.

Kid, 12 years old August 6, 2010

Very violent, but also very good.

Goodfellas is a verry good, interesting, well made gangster film. I enjoyed every bit of it. I would rate it R for Strong Brutal Violence,pervasive language,sexual content and drug use.
Teen, 15 years old Written bycross_breed May 9, 2010

So Intense, So Fantastic, So Not For Kids

Goodfellas is definitely among the greatest movies ever made. Everything about it is pure poetry. Absolutely a masterpiece, is not to be missed... by adults. I'm not going to absolutely forbid this for older teens, because I saw it and it didn't bother me too much, but I am going to say that the R rating means business here. Violence is at the forefront of the film. The first thing you see is three gangsters opening up a car trunk with a struggling victim inside then brutally stabbing and shooting him to death, and from there it only stays violent. Numerous beatings, shootings, and all their disturbing aftermaths are shown prominently on camera. The sex isn't quite as bad as the violence, but it is still there. There are a few close-ups of a married couple initiating foreplay, as well as an implied offscreen fellatio (the camera changes scenes as the woman goes down and unzips the man's fly) between that same couple. Adultery is considered a part of the mob lifestyle and there are a few uses of sexually charged phrases such as "bang this broad." The language is extraordinarily foul, even though it is accurate. Easily over 100 uses of f--k and all its variants (Joe Pesci's character, Tommy, has an especially foul mouth). Numerous uses of other, more minor swear words like s--t, d-mn, g-dd-mn, hell, d--k, pr-ck, and a few others. Drugs are all over the half of the movie. Massive piles and bags of cocaine are displayed. Henry and one of his girlfriends both snort cocaine as well... a lot. As far as messages go, they couldn't be worse. The mob life is glorified throughout the entire movie, and, needless to say, this life involves bribery, extortion, murder, theft, assault, usury, adultery, and numerous other unsavory things. The role models, needless to say, are some of the worst I've seen in any movie. Tommy is an out of his mind, hot headed, brutal murderer. At one point in the movie, he shoots someone brutally and suddenly after the victim tells Tommy to go f--k himself. Jimmy, by contrast, is just a cold blooded killer. He murders and tortures with a cold detachment that will send chills down your spine. Henry, while not as brutal as Tommy or Jimmy, is no role model, himself. He is also a murderer as well as a drug dealer/abuser. Henry also hits his wife occasionally. Overall, this movie is morally reprehensible and not okay for children. However, adults and older teens should not miss out on this. Goodfellas is everything a movie should be.
Teen, 13 years old Written byEntropy October 19, 2009

Extremely Violent, Not for kids.

Goodfellas was one of the best mob films ever made! However there is a ton of violence, an insane amount of language, they all cheat on their wives and abuse them, heck, the main character is a coke addict for god's sake. Although I love this movie, I know if I had kids I would not let them watch it.
Teen, 14 years old Written byMediaMorrison April 10, 2016

Fantastic movie!

I watched this movie when I was 11 years old. I've always been mature about my movies. I was introduced to fine cinema at the age of 10. From there I have seen a lot of great movies. Goodfellas shows the life of Henry Hill and his mobster associates throughout the years. The language is extremely vulgar and a lot of violence and some drinking and smoking. A fantastic piece of cinema for movie lovers and mature children.
Teen, 15 years old Written byNvG Nick January 25, 2016

Goodfellas Review

Very inappropriate and pretty boring. I know lots of people love this movie, but I'm not one of them. I just found it violent, long, and unentertaining. Like mobster films, this is a winner. Hate mobster films, take a pass.
Teen, 17 years old Written byDave's Picks January 22, 2016

My personal favorite movie of all time

This movie is excellent, easily my favorite movie of all time. Everything about the movie is well done, but this is certainly not a movie for families. The film is extremely violent, profane, and drug filled. Sex is not a major problem, but the film is still not for children.
Adult Written bydarthsitkur January 8, 2016

Greatfellas is what it should be called :-)

There is no such thing as a bad martin scorsese movie gentlemen, especially if robert de Niro and Joe Pesci are in it together
Teen, 13 years old Written byScorsesebuff2002 November 1, 2015

Easily Scorsese's Best Movie

Goodfellas is probably the 2nd best mob movie, after The Godfather trilogy . Violence is strong and pervasive. There are some strong sexual references and implications of oral sex. Drugs are used in several scenes. And the language is very strong, including 300 f words. But it is a masterful movie, and any mature 13 can see it. If not, 14/15+. My MPAA rating: R for Strong Brutal Violence, Pervasive Strong Lanuage, and Some Sexuality
Adult Written bythe wise one March 20, 2015

Martin Scorsese's masterpiece

Goodfellas is my favorite film of all time for many different reasons. Every time I watch it I am completely enamored with the story, the pacing, the cinematography, the music, and of course, the acting. The movie chronicles the life of Henry Hill and his rise through the New York mafia with associates Jimmy Conway and Tommy DeVito. The movie is a wild ride from start to finish and never lets up. Nothing is sugar coated in this movie and the mob life is depicted in all its gritty glory. For parents, I would not recommend this film to anyone under the age of 16. It has many scenes of brutal violence, most of which consist of beatings, a stabbing, and about 4 graphic shootings. Strong language is nearly non-stop with about 300 F words spoken throughout the movie. There are a few scenes of cocaine being snorted and cut up and sold. Most of the main characters drink and smoke constantly. As far as sexual content, it's not too strong in this movie. There are a couple of scenes of passionate kissing and two brief scenes of implied oral sex, although they are easy to miss if you're not paying attention. There are no positive role models. All the main characters are criminals and many kill without remorse. Overall, not for children and I would say it's suitable for ages 16 and up.
Parent of a 17 year old Written byciarant February 19, 2015

Excellent

Really good film based on the true story of New York gangster Henry Hill. Although not for kids as the film does contain realistic violence and swearing but i'm pretty sure a kid aged 14 and over can handle the contents of this film.
Kid, 10 years old August 10, 2014

This is crap!

bad language bloody and bad refrences to jews even though this happened in the 50s stop talking bad about jews bad they gone thorugh enough in the 40s by the nazis from ww2 6 million killed that is not godly this movie is for 21 and up in age
Teen, 14 years old Written byitsrainingfrogs July 14, 2014

Gangster masterpiece by the gangster master Martin Scorsese

Easily Scorsese's best film and one of the best gangster movies of all time, Goodfellas is follows New York kid Henry Hill and his close friends Jimmy Conway and Tommy DeVito through the 50s, 60s, and 70s and their life in the mafia. One of the greatest movies of all time, boasting great film techniques, a great soundtrack, and great lead performances by Ray Liotta, Robert De Niro, and Joe Pesci. Sex: None. Some kissing. Violence: Fairly mild, with only a few notably violent scenes. A man is beaten, and later stabbed and shot. This scene is shown twice. A man is shot in the foot and later killed. A montage scene shows several bloody dead bodies being discovered. A man is shot in the head. Language: Frequent strong language, mostly by Joe Pesci. Substance Abuse: Constant smoking and drinking. Later in the film, the protagonist becomes a cocaine addict/dealer. Intensity: Several suspenseful sequences. The beating/murder is the only intense scene of violence in the film.
Teen, 13 years old Written byNotBK June 14, 2014

its good

This is a good movie, and I think that a nine year old kid could take it my brother could, I could, people need to know that kids can take this at young age it isnt that bad.
Teen, 14 years old Written byLeopold Medley April 29, 2014

okay for 14 and up

People on this site are very sensitive. This film did not bother me in the slightest. The violence is very brief; probably only three people die in this film. For a film of this length, the violence is very tame and doesn't appear frequently. The film does not glorify organized crime, it accurately depicts its violence, treachery, and absurdity. Mature viewers will see past the surface. Language is very bad. Overall, the negative effects of violence and drug use are very accurately portrayed. Okay for 14 and up
Teen, 15 years old Written bythesturgmachine February 15, 2014

Very good film

First of all I wouldn't listen to common sense media's age opinions, they are quite strict, they're saying 18 for this, most people from what I've heard say 15 or 16 for this. It was mainly swearing with this one, violence was quite high, but movies like the departed have a lower classification here in Australia, yet it's the same as this but has much more sex and violence. It's not too bad for 13, but 14 is a much more suitable age.
Kid, 10 years old November 16, 2013

GOOD!!!

I totally understand it because i'm Italian.We have the DVD at my house.Both of my parents <3 it.But it has too much violence,drinking,drugs,and language.Especially the first scene of the movie.I'm allowed to watch R rated movies.But most kids don't really understand it and that's why they say it's awful.
Kid, 12 years old November 16, 2013

In the Words of Ebert

This is the best mob film ever made, even above The Godfather franchise. The acting is absolutely superb, the plot is engrossing, the direction is absolutely wonderful, and the film is criminally underrated. Robert DeNiro wasn't nominated for an Oscar for this movie. Really, if you let your child go to a public school and watch music videos for rap songs, he can handle this. If you shelter your kid, wait till they're older
Teen, 13 years old Written byMob Man 12 August 11, 2013

A top 10 movie ever

This movie is amazing with Robert De Niro at his best Ray Liotta and Joe Pesci were also great it is very intense with graphic violence and strong language and tons of drugs to be fair a mature teenager could handle it but it does depend on who it is
Parent Written byMichael B July 28, 2013

Too much

Hold the phone to much violence and language
Teen, 16 years old Written byTip yap July 17, 2013

As far back as I can remember I have always loved Goodfellas

This has terrible role models and the main character is a coke addict this is a super mafia film starring one of the best actors ever in Robert De Niro and award performances by ray liotta and joe Pesci it is very vulgar but there is no sexuality the main bad stuff is the violence language and drugs