All member reviews for Gracie

Gritty girl soccer drama with a powerful message.

AWESOME

I thought this movie is great for any girl. I think it shuld be 9 and up. This is a great movie for girls to show them how to follow their dreams
Educator Written byrbsilver April 9, 2008

Boring Soccer Film for the Whole Family

Looking for a great movie to see this summer - don't choose this one. With my 70 young mother-in-law in tow, my husband and I took our 16, 13, and 9 year olds to see this movie. When your 9 year old starts laughing at the acting, you know it's a bad movie. Long dramatic, pain-filled, seeking, desperate looks fill most of this movie. People in the movie theater were laughing out loud at the acting, dialogue, and cliche. As a mother who was impacted by Title IX and has active girl athletes, the movie really was more about how one girl handled the death of her brother and her family's major dysfunction. My 9 year old wanted more soccer!
Teen, 14 years old Written bydirecterdude123 April 9, 2008

Adult Written bymaggie123 April 9, 2008

We walked out after the bar scene

It was awful. Thought I could take my daughter who is 13 and had to walk out of the theater. Never knew how many very inappropriate things were in this movie. Thought it would be an inspirational story. It shoud be for more 16-17 year olds not 13. I was angry that I didn't know about all those bad parts - it was supposed to be fun to go to see the movie for her birthday. BIG disappointment. Glad I know now about this website.
Teen, 14 years old Written byMc876423 July 2, 2014

Gracie

Awesome! I think this movie is great for all teens because it gives a positive message of following your dreams no matter what are people think and believe in yourself. In other words Believe in yourself. To succeed, we must first believe that we can and The thing always happens that you really believe in; and the belief in a thing makes it happen.
Parent Written bymrsrhm January 20, 2012

Practically an "R" rated beginning

We started watching this movie with our 12 and 8 year old. The beginning of the movie depicted the lead character in several questionable situations that forced us to turn the movie off. Here's why...the dialogue focused on discussions of drinking and smoking pot. Secondly, there were several scenes where Gracie tries to not go all the way with a guy, but the boy is practically raping her - however she does ultimately push him away. Finally, there was a scene where Gracie and her friend take their parents car (when they don't have their drivers licence) to go out for a night of partying with college guys. We thought this was supposed to be a movie about a girl trying to play soccer, not a dating/drinking/drugs/sex movie! Come on Hollywood, it's OK to make a family movie; heck you may even sell more tickets if we COULD take our kids.
Teen, 14 years old Written byprincesspeach August 1, 2011

Dont even think!

All of them (almost) smoke! We had to leave the theater cause it was so bad!
Kid, 12 years old July 13, 2010

awsome movie with a important message.

not only is this movie entertaining but it delivers the message of: never stop following your dreams even if the ones u love have lost faith in you.

Adult Written bycoolmandude April 9, 2008

Adult Written bycollette April 9, 2008

Pay attention to the rating...

My daughter's competitive soccer team planned an outing to watch this movie as a team. Unfortunately, they are 10 years old! We read the "Common Sense" review, and knew full well what we were getting ourselves into - and they were right on! There were several scenes that I wish my 10 year old daughter was not watching. I myself, wish they would have replaced those inappropriate scenes with more soccer footage & competition. It was definitely a good movie with a good message - but I would keep the viewers to 13 years + for sure.
Adult Written byDazyMillr April 9, 2008

Good Conversation Starter

I knew this movie had some inappropriate teen behavior before I took my 11 year old daughter to the movie. I found this to be a good way to talk to my daughter about why Gracie was acting out the way she did in the movie. Most of this movie is about how a disfunctional family handles a tragedy than about soccer. My daughter really liked the movie, but I was glad I did not take my 9 year old boy! I don't think this movie would appeal to boys or youg men.

Pretty Darn Good!

This movie is great. It was sad, happy and kind of disturbing. I cride because it was sad and because it was happy. I say it was great!
Adult Written bymamaloo April 9, 2008

More than "just kissing"!

I read the reviews and took a 12, 11, and 2-10 year olds to the movie. There are not just 2 "make-out scenes" in this movie. In one one scene she is in the back seat of a car (her mother's - which she stole!) with a college age man. He takes off his shirt and gets on top of her. At this point a police officer and her father show up and knock on the window. There was also sexist language related to her boobs and her period (made by her brothers). Two thirds of the movie deal with how she is trying to deal with the grief of losing her brother and the relationship with her father. Only the last 30 minutes or so is pure soccer. While I enjoyed the movie and emotional content, I think my two youngest (boys) were bored. I definitely think this movie is more meaningful for older girls. I think, as a parent, you need to have a conversation about the inappropriate choices she makes (smoking, sneaking out of her house to be with a boy, flirting with a very much older bouncer to get into a club, taking her parent's car, shoplifting, failing classes).
Kid, 10 years old April 9, 2008

Teen, 14 years old Written bysourmeg April 9, 2008

a very entertaining movie

it was a very good movie for teenagers and older kids. i would not recommed this movie for little kids because it as some langue and other things. but this movie showed that girls can do stuff that boys do.

This is a great movie with a great message that Girls can do anything boys can!
Adult Written bytini1 April 9, 2008

entertaining

loved the fact that a girl plays soccer real, loves the game........did not like sexual importance in the movie, the derogatory references to lesbians and women...as a mom with a 10yr old soccer girl, I had to ffwd through alot. This movie still shows that a girl can play some major football!
Adult Written bybibliophile31 April 9, 2008

Painful to watch....SO glad when it was finally over!

I read other reviews of Gracie and was pre-warned about the sexually suggestive scenes -- fastforwarded right through them with my 12-year-old daughter. However, I wasn't prepared for Gracie's obnoxiousness and general disrespectfulness. Yes, she was being discriminated against because of her gender, but she was snotty to several adults in the film, answered just about everybody back with smart-aleck answers, and gave off a "I am entitled to a prime spot on a varsity team because I am wonderful and I work hard, never mind that I haven't ever played on a soccer team before in my life" attitude. I was so sick of her by the time the "big game" started that I couldn't have cared less what happened. This movie was awful, and embarrassing, and I regret the $2.13 I spent renting it.