All parent member reviews for Gran Torino

Parent of a 13 and 15 year old Written byswtpeaami July 25, 2009
This movie is not for children at all. I had a difficult time as an adult woman listening to the offensive language. The "F" word is used repeatedly; and there is constant racial slurs which I find inappropriate for ANY audience. The only highlight is how Clint Eastwood becomes a "father figure" for the boy next door and keeps the youngster from being "dragged" literally, into a neighborhood gang.
Adult Written bymildrea July 1, 2009

Great movie, may not be suitable for under 13

An excellent movie, but why pay for it? Click to find out how to get it for free!
Adult Written byvancity realtor June 11, 2009
The movie was well done, and told a great story. It explains the old racist guys story. You get to understand that his life experiences, and his burdens turned him into a grumpy racist old man, but deep down he was a very good person who used his grumpy persona to protect himself from every day life and relationships. I thought Eastwoods character and Ahney Hers character really worked well together. Ahneys character was bright, accepting, and open minded. She brought Eastwood out of his shell. She knew enough history and common sense to tear down his emotional walls. By befriending Eastwood he gained a respect for her people, and built a fatherly relationship with Toah. Toah gained confidence and self respect, and Eastwood was able to have his father-son relationship vicariously through being friends with Toah. The whole thing about Mexican and Asians being depicted as gangsters is missing the point completely. The gang reference was aimed at youth today. If you want to get offended, the Caucasian kid got depicted as wigger p*ssy. Which brings me to a whole other issue, Caucasian kids that dress in baggy clothes & Jordans arent trying to be black. Maybe if they talk like black folks, but then again your surroundings mold you. Clothing is simply a style. In fact most kids (of all races) today other than Goth or EMO kids, dress in baggy clothes, not to be black, its just a style. The end of the movie was really touching. Eastwood finally at peace with himself, decided to help free the neighbourhood of gang bangers. He gave his life not only to protect his new friends, and neighbours, but to repent his sin of murdering a 17 year old on the battle field. Even though the Asian elders were not able to communicate their respect, their actions spoke volumes. The movie was an excellent story about forgiveness, acceptance, and racial understanding. I think every family should rent this movie.
Adult Written byJackisthebest June 10, 2009

excessive language

This movie was better than I anticipated.There was a little,well actually a lot of swearing.But,lets face it,by the time a kids 13 they've heard all of them.if you want it go here
Parent of a 3, 5, 8, 11, 13, and 15 year old Written bynikki73 April 25, 2009
I loved this movie! I would watch it agian in a heart beat & let my children ages 13+ watch it. It had a great message & was entertaining.
Adult Written byMNGR March 13, 2009

Best movie!

This movie is for kids age 15 and up. There is little violence. You see a girl after she gets beaten up but not while she gets beaten up. And you see a guy get shot. There is a lot of racism and cursing but without it the movie wouldn't have as much meaning to it. All around though it was an amazing movie!
Parent of a 1, 8, 9, and 14 year old Written bythejokerspencil January 28, 2009

Mixed Reviews with Racism is Good

Interesting and Entertaining with Clint Eastwodd running the ship.
Parent of a 13 and 15 year old Written bydburns January 24, 2009

Powerful film about violence.

The message of this movie is about the way that violence damages people. A central component of the story is that the Eastwood character carries the enormous burden of the violence he saw and did during war. We are not supposed to see him as a role model. But as we come to understand the complexity of his past, we have compassion for him. Further, his character, while racist, begins to have a relationship with the Hmong neighbors that is, initially, in response to his horror at the violence of the gang. Eastwood's character, the working class, grumpy old white guy who has seen his neighborhood change dramatically, is not a one dimensional character. At one point he comments that he has more in common with his Hmong neighbors than with his own sons. This is a complex movie - about race, class, and violence. The racist language can be jarring, but it is a vivid depiction of a piece of American life. Ultimately the message is about the tragedy of violence and it challenges us to be compassionate. We brought two mature thirteen year olds. They were disturbed by it, but loved it and we had some great conversation about racism and violence. Children see a lot of casual violence in the media, this movie actually makes the psychic and physical damage of violence real.
Adult Written byChewbacca January 13, 2009

Excellent for this "type" of movie

Typical Eastwood movie. If you like Eastwood and Eastwood movies.....then this is for you. Rough language, however funny in some places of the movie. TAKE TISSUES. ADULT MOVIE ONLY.
Adult Written byterra100 December 18, 2008

EXCELLENT MOVIE - for adults only

We saw this movie at a SAG screening in Hollywood, with Q&A afterwards with the producers. My husband and I LOVED this movie. That said, we would let our 18 year old son watch it but no one younger than that. And the only reason why we would let him watch it is because there isn't any sex and the story has A LOT of redeeming value. It stays with you and makes you a better person. However, there is enough swearing and racist slurs in this film to last a lifetime -- many I've never heard before but knew what they were due to the film's context. The only reason why you keep on watching and aren't offended by the language is because the language isn't gratuitious and is couched ONLY as part of Clint Eastwood's character -- for a reason. I don't want to give the movie away, but suffice it to say Clint's character couldn't undergo the change he needs to for the movie to work if his character wasn't so gruff in the beginning. I never saw Dirty Harry, but a lot of people who did compare Clint's character in this movie to his Dirty Harry character. The story is wonderful. Can make you cry in the end. While many would think this is a guys-only movie, I'm a woman and enjoyed it thoroughly. The screenplay was perfect -- near as I could tell. The storytelling was excellent. And each scene was masterfully done. I'm sure this movie will get multiple award nominations come 2009. This is a movie to be scene on the big screen, not DVD. Why? Because Clint does such an amazing acting job and each scene is set up so beautifully it is an engrossing experience to see it on the big screen to get the fullness of the film. This film proves that you don't need lots of special effects to make a big-screen experience completely worth your money.