All member reviews for Gravity

Intense, astonishing sci-fi thriller has real soul.

Parent of a 7 year old Written byJeffrey M. Anderson October 4, 2013

The kind of movie experience that "Star Wars" once was

This is truly one of the greatest and most exhilarating popcorn movies ever. It can be overwhelming and somewhat terrifying, considering the vastness (and deadliness) of space, so it's not for younger kids. But for others, it's the kind of movie experience that "Star Wars" once was.
Teen, 17 years old Written bysky65z October 6, 2013

Gravity is an epic masterpiece and one of the best movies I've ever seen.

Firstly to anyone reading this review my computer would not let me click what other families should know about this. So there are positive messages and role models. The main concerns are violence and language. Now that that's out the way this is an amazing movie that must be seen in theaters. The special effects are the best I've ever seen. Okay on to content Violence- not really much very intense throughout one gross scene when they go to retrieve a dead astronauts body but nothing too bad. Note due to intensity of you can't handle suspense or get motion sick easily be weary about watching this movie as it's very suspenseful and goes into 1st person camera a lot. Language- 1 very hard to hear use of the f-word about 20 s-words the occasional d--n and h-ll. pretty light compared to most pg-13 movies these days. The language never felt gratuitous as while I don't approve of profanity it made sense in the situation they were in the entire movie. If you can handle what I've said above GO SEE THIS MOVIE NOW!!!!! It's a cinematic masterpiece that demands to be seen on the big screen
Teen, 17 years old Written bymoviebuff6996 October 4, 2013

Gravity is a Groundbreaking movie with an excellent performance from Sandra Bullock

The Positives are the Visual Effects (truly astonishing, mind-blowing and mesmerizing), the cinematography (Excellent and has both close-up shots and far away shots at appropriate times. But the thing that hit me was the long takes. It isn’t done often in movies now a days and is truly a breath of fresh air that they did it in this movie), The Lead performance (Sandra Bullock gives an emotionally complex performance that is one of her best), the character development (I got to know and care about Sandra Bullock and George Clooney’s characters and what they were going through. Both physically and emotionally), the set pieces (They are dazzling and are shown off by long takes and plenty of far away shots), the music (Fit the movie perfectly and gave some emotional feelings), the dialogue (Everything that was said fit the movie and nothing that was said felt out of place), the symbolism (There is two scenes that evoke Christian Symbolism. As a Christian, I loved those two scenes), the Directing (Very good and truly made this film with smart decision making), the length (A breezy ninety minutes that doesn’t waste a second), the 3D (The best 3D film I’ve ever seen. Hands down.), the themes (dealing with Grief and death in a gripping way), the storyline (Simple, but its tense execution was jaw dropping), the ending (It was amazing and truly satisfying). The only negative (For some people possibly) is that the pace is a little slow. In the end, Gravity is an amazing movie with an emotional attachment and a strong backbone. I would highly recommend this film. For parents to know:There is some language (about 20 profanities including a handful of S-words and one subtle f-word) and brief disturbing images (A dead body is show with some of his face missing). It's an adult film. Most kids won't understand the complex nature of the film and will think it's "boring". Please see this film.
Parent Written byWe Love Movies November 23, 2013

Excellent Movie!

I just saw Gravity with my 11 year old son. The movie is excellent; very intense ... we were on the edge of our seats for the entire thing. The language is NOT significant. Only 1 F bomb (which could be mistaken for another word) and a few S bombs, but nothing outrageous, so don't let the language comments dissuade you. The one "gory" scene of a dead astronaut is predictable, so you can block younger eyes for that minute. Honorable behavior from the characters and an overall positive message. If your child is into Space exploration and science and enjoys movies like Star Wars, Star Trek, Indiana Jones, The Hobbit, then they will enjoy this movie.
Parent of a 1 and 9 year old Written bybowlerskates October 8, 2013

Good and Good for Ya

The CSM review is dead on, so this is more of a +1 from me. The film is all about overcoming hardship and moving forward, something that plays a big role thematically in just about every children's movie, but here it's aimed at a more mature audience so the hardships are a little more visceral, complex, and painful, but are also handled with more respect. For that reason, I think that emotionally mature kids would do well to see this movie as a counterpoint the way a typical kids or teen movie handles life's challenges, where they are just a set up for an awesome showdown, fallen friends are quickly forgotten, a troubled past only makes you cooler and more mysterious, etc.
Parent of a 12 year old Written byaea309 October 6, 2013

Easily the year's best!!!

In a year filled with action packed mayhem, often not worth the price of admission, this absolutely stunning movie movie outdid them all! This was as perfect a movie as I have EVER seen. Probably since Gladiator. The story was the star of this movie with Clooney and Bullock perfectly cast. No pat happy ending but totally satisfying and life-affirming. My almost 13 year old and I applauded. I don't often see movies in 3D (usually not worth the extra cost) but this one... ah - what a treat!!! While the themes might go over the head of younger ones, this is one of those quality movies to be seen on the big screen, and worth considering taking your 11+year olds to this visual feast. Absolutely fabulous.
Parent of a 14 and 17 year old Written bycasandreas October 6, 2013

Visually stunning says it all. Great acting and believable.

Parent of a 10 and 12 year old Written byMattmchugh October 27, 2013

Astounding and intense... Might be too much for sensitive preteens

This is an amazing movie. I saw the 3D IMAX and it was well worth the extra money. I found it thoroughly beautiful and moving. However, for kids, it can be challenging. It can be very slow-paced. Dramatically, it works, but it may tax the less patient. Then, there are scenes of peril that are intense and relentless. There are a few gruesome moments where dead bodies are shown, and a few quick f- and s- expletives. A non-believing character struggles to form a prayer -- something I found interesting though folks with a strong religious or atheist bent might take umbrage (not sure why, but strong religious or atheistic folks seem to pounce on opportunities to take umbrage). All in all, I think mature 12 and up can handle this one. Frankly, it's so good -- visually stunning, scientifically accurate (with a few errors), and emotionally vivid -- I think kids SHOULD see it. It is so far beyond most multiplex pap that it's worth a few challenges. Sensitive young ones might be upset at some points, but if they make it through, the overall experience will be uplifting. - mattmchugh
Parent of a 11 and 13 year old Written bymyndseye711 March 7, 2014

Awesome

This was an awesome movie. Positive messages, excellent acting, great effects. There is one f word. In the beginning of the movie she gets loose (which you can see on the commercial). Her fellow astronaut comes to get her, they hook in and begin heading back. It is right then that she says it. Hopefully this helps so that you can mute it. Also, when they get back, the other astronaut has a hole blasted through his face. I doubt many 11 year olds would be bothered by this. But just a heads up for that. Honestly, there are 9 year olds who could watch this if the language were bleeped out--it just depends on your kid. But if you are avoiding it because of the F bomb--don't. It is barely audible, and now you can bleep it. This is a must see!
Teen, 17 years old Written bylotrlove October 19, 2013

Pleasant Surprise!

It's hard to know what to expect when going into a film with only two cast members inhabiting the endless void of space. I'll admit that I expected to be bored within the first 10 minutes, but I was hooked quickly. This film is a non-stop crash course journey that demonstrates just how powerful human determination can be. Our main character, Ryan (Sandra Bullock), must not only face the emptiness of space, but the emptiness left in her heart after a tragedy in her past. With an epic ending that left my heart racing until the screen turned black, I can honestly say that Gravity was a moving and intriguing film. My only problem is the profanity. There are only about 7 cuss words in the film, but over half of them are exceptionally strong words (1 f-bomb). Given this problem, as well as some brief graphic violence and overall intensity, this movie is definitely not for children.
Parent Written byizzycoffe December 15, 2013

Amazing!!!

Gravity and Les Misérables, probably are the best movies of this year. In the case of Gravity, this flick is totally a thriller from the start to the end, the visual effects are amazing and they give you the impression of being there up in the space. The plot and the characters are very well developped,and at one point you get to be identified by one of them, I just have to say Sandra Bullock work on this movie is outstanding. The movie violence is very low, but it's pretty intense so definitely not for young kids.
Teen, 17 years old Written bySean Broucek October 5, 2013

Well-Acted, Intense Film Has True Soul and A Truly Stunning Experience In the Mix, But Only For Older Teens.

Parents, this visually stunning cinematic masterpiece is sure to be on the radar someone in the family, but due to the constant peril and mature themes make it better for older teens. Violence includes extensive peril, imperilment, many astronauts die, including a gruesome image of a hole in a man's face, and the emotional intensity and menacing vibe just adds to the mix. Language is pretty infrequent, but holds the new record for most uses of "f--k" in a PG-13 movie (7), and several uses of "s--t" and "b-tch" are uttered throughout. No sex or drinking. The NASA logo is seen often. In the end, this amazing sci-fi drama is beautifully filmed and well-acted, and on my list, this movie deserves 6/5 stars, and viewers can take home a empowering positive message about the human spirit, but this one is best left the older audience. SUGGESTED MPAA RATING: Rated PG-13 For Some Disturbing Images & Brief Strong Language
Adult Written byCatholicFirefighter April 23, 2014

Enough swearing already ...

I was only 15-20 minutes into the movie when the "GD" and "JC" cursing began. I shut it off. Anyone with a solid Christian belief will be horribly offended by this movie, adults or otherwise.
Kid, 12 years old October 27, 2013

This Movie Gave Me an Anxiety Attack

This movie is very intense and contains very disturbing images. Do NOT go see it at night, and if you have younger children with you, do NOT watch it in 3D because this movie will scare them ALOT.
Adult Written bychristian2011 February 28, 2014

Intense, provocative and mind-bending. A visual masterpiece.

Gravity is definitely renowned for it's astonishing, realistic special effects and I have to say, definitely not a contradiction - I was just amazed at how the film industry is improvising on the special effects, and a prime example is this particular film. The acting performances by Bullock and Clooney are always great, yet Bullock really projects her emotions and poignant realism into this movie. This movie doesn't just showcase peril and terror, it also interprets faith and confidence. She plays as a medical engineer who is working on a satellite alongside other 2 astronauts, until a huge wave of debris flies and demolishes most of their space shuttle, then the aftermath and revelation of the incident occurs. Gravity is an amazing portrayal of courage and faith, in conjunction with incredible special effects of the setting and background showing a vivid magnified view of planet Earth. Gravity does show a brief but graphic image of a mutilated human corpse, including some indecent language (such as d*mn, h*ll, sh*t). However, if you are claustrophobic, Gravity may be a uncomfortable experience.
Teen, 13 years old Written bySnowyjoe November 3, 2013

Gravity Review

This movie was great, but included a scary scene that had a guy with a piece of debree in his head. Gravity also has quite a bit of swearing. Nevertheless, the role models in Gravity are really good, especially George Clooney.
Kid, 12 years old October 26, 2013

easily best film 2013

Don't listen to anyone who gave this movie less than 5 stars, because it is absolutely amazing, stunning, and breath taking. But it is extremely intense and very sad, so 14+
Kid, 12 years old October 6, 2013

There are not enough words to describe this movie. Incredible. Awe-inspiring, Terrifying. Twelve and Up.

Three words? Terrifying. Mesmerizing. Brilliant. To tell you about this movie would take way to long, so I'll skip that. What YOU need to know, is that this movie is not only about space, but it is about the Gravity of the main characters life. And the movie, which is by far, the most simplistic movie I've ever seen, consisting of only three things, Music, Voices, and The amazing 3-D visuals (3-D film of the year. Easily.) No sound, as there's no sound in space (Which makes it all the more terrifying when things go horribly, horribly wrong, and gives you the feeling of isolation.) Anyway, the movie is masterfully made, and you feel for the characters better than in almost any movie I've seen. Now that's the review. Is it okay for kids? Well, the PG-13 rating here definantly fits, although, the reason it's iffy for Twelve is because unless your kid has been living under a rock for Twelve years, he's probably heard the F-Word at least, like, Fifty times a day. And it appears only once in this movie. But there is a variety of S-Words and lots of mild language. Hence the language bar. (Minor Spoilers ahead, but nothing that will completely ruin the film.) There isn't much violence (and although terrifying, this film proves once and for all, a single drop of blood is not needed in a movie of it to be scary.) and the only thing is the image (Which is the "Disturbing Image" that the MPAA described) of an astronaut that had a shard of some thing hit him at high speed, shatter his helmet, and blow out his brains. The image has no blood, and there is just a hole in the left side of his head that you can see through. The scene is made even more sad, rather than scary by a picture of him and his family which gently floats up to the main character's view. There is a lot of realism to this movie, and every character is believable. The worst part is when George Clooney's character is sent to go get Bullock's character (This is seen in the video review, if you want to watch this scene to check on whether or not you want your kids to see it. It happens so fast though, you can hardly see it.) and as he reaches her, the camera spins around to the character, who is suspended to a rope connected to the spaceship. Suddenly, a block going at the speed of a bullet you se fly across the screen, touch his face, and he is thrust back and slowly floats there, still. Two others are seen controlling and come down frozen and dead when they investigate. In conclusion, I didn't mark violence since there is no violence shown up close, only a split second shot of something hitting someone (Once again, it's in the video review if you want to check.) a mildly shocking, and is incredibly amplified by the increasingly intense score and loud musical cues, but it's still not a "Jump Scare" or "Gorey Bloody Mess" scene of the dead astronaut through his broken helmet, two dead, frozen astronauts (once again, no violence is shown, but a tiny tiny jump that isn't too bad), not to mention constant peril, terror, and stuff blowing up. One story is told about a kid dying after hitting her head. Nothing bloody is described, though. No one is immediately killed up close and on-screen, though. Mild flirting between George Clooney's guy and Bullock's character, nothing that would make it past a PG rating (Other than a mild story that is never finished about two women holding hands at Mardi Gras.) Drinking: Alcohol references. "When we're done, I know where the Russians hide there Vodka." One scene of a character drinking. Over all, YOU MUST SEE THIS MOVIE. One problem is when detailing EVERYTHING about the movie, the fact is that the story's inspirational characters, excellent role models, amazing cinematography, incredible acting, and unparalleled and one-of-a-kind visuals (If you have the chance, the 3-D is more than worth it and is the best 3-D of the year.) and wonderful story about life can be overshadowed by the "There's violence and drinking and language and a guy dies and--" you, when really, once again this is an incredible film about living life and what you would do to keep it. It's haunting score and themes will stay with you long after the credits. There is nothing better that can be said about the movie than Common Sense's review-- the only time I've really felt that Common Sense's review really, really, fit the movie. This is easily Oscar winning material. Bring the Teens (except ones who will find the somewhat slow-paced but still masterful story and character development boring) And be prepared for a once-in-a-lifetime wild ride. Be prepared to be thrilled and impressed.
Kid, 10 years old February 20, 2014

Great movie with great messages.

This movie has a lot but not too much profanity. The violence includes a hole in a man's face, no blood is seen but obviously gore. There is no sex, I mean it all takes place in space so what are you going to do? People mention Facebook which goes under the topic of consumerism in Gravity. There is no drinking or smoking because again, it all takes place in space. So it definitely deserves 4/5 stars.
Kid, 11 years old February 8, 2014

Gravity

Gravity truly is amazing. With stunning and breathtaking videography, it is definitely one of the year's best. The cast offers an amazing and heartbreaking performance. If you have kids under 12, you should know that in Gravity, there is some swearing and near-constant peril, violence, and suspense. There are some disturbing images of dead astronauts. There is one scene where Ryan Stone almost gives up and almost commits suicide by turning off the oxygen in her escape pod. Gravity is a thrill-ride of a movie and will leave you breathless.